WAMC - 3.5gpa, 508 MCAT, ORM, AZ Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mintygirl25

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just took the MCAT recently and got my scores back. I ended up getting a 508 on actual MCAT but on all my practice full lengths I was scoring in the 517-520 range. Should I retake the test and apply next cycle? Or apply for this cycle?

My stats are below:
3.5 cgpa, 3.8sgpa (I was a stem major and my classes in my later years bumped up my sgpa)
508 MCAT
Graduated with high honors - wrote a thesis on the intersection between neuro disorders and health disparities
Ethnicity: Indian

Activities:
Nonprofit work in Uganda for 2+ years
Clinical research in multiple diff fields (cancer, psych disorders, obgyn, gastro) - currently working on a paper with a PI but won’t be published in time for the upcoming cycle
Volunteering in mobile clinics for unhoused people
2 Funded research grants for self run projects to close health disparity gaps
undergrad teaching assistant for neuro

LORS - 2 really strong prof recs (one stem and one humanities), 2 really strong recs from healthcare employers, 1 decent rec from a science prof

What are my chances for getting into MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Please follow the template. Hours and descriptions are important.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be honest, pretty low (based on this grid, https://www.aamc.org/media/6091/download, you have a 33.7% chance of getting in from your GPA and MCAT).

You might have a chance at your state MD school.

Edit your post to include your hours (and follow the template please). We will get a better view on your application as a whole and can provide you better feedback.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Just took the MCAT recently and got my scores back. I ended up getting a 508 on actual MCAT but on all my practice full lengths I was scoring in the 517-520 range. Should I retake the test and apply next cycle? Or apply for this cycle?

My stats are below:
3.5 cgpa, 3.8sgpa (I was a stem major and my classes in my later years bumped up my sgpa)
508 MCAT
Graduated with high honors - wrote a thesis on the intersection between neuro disorders and health disparities
Ethnicity: Indian

Activities:
Nonprofit work in Uganda for 2+ years
Clinical research in multiple diff fields (cancer, psych disorders, obgyn, gastro) - currently working on a paper with a PI but won’t be published in time for the upcoming cycle
Volunteering in mobile clinics for unhoused people
2 Funded research grants for self run projects to close health disparity gaps
undergrad teaching assistant for neuro

LORS - 2 really strong prof recs (one stem and one humanities), 2 really strong recs from healthcare employers, 1 decent rec from a science prof

What was your section breakdown? And can you give hours for your activities?

A 508 (in general) is borderline for MD; you could always give it another go but be aware that a retake without significant improvement (generally defined as >5 points) may not help you, and a score going down would hurt you.

Have you thought about DO?