WAMC 20AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattrex35

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: Hopefully by 8/19/2023 (tomorrow from the date this is posted, I'm still constructing my list)

Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.4
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.6
*Most of my bad grades were the first 2 years of college. I was a straight A student with my gen chem, o chem, biology, etc when I switched to biology my Jr to Sr years. Basically, upward trend. This is a long time ago though. I've been out of college for a while now.

DAT score from 2019 I think (include AA and all sections):
1st Attempt:

19 AA
20 TS
24 BIO
20 OCHEM
19 GenChem
17 RC
21 PAT
16 QR

2nd Attempt from a few days ago(with differences in score from 1st attempt):
20AA (+1)
21 TS (+1)
23 BIO (-1)
23 OCHEM (+3)
19 GenChem (Same)
21 RC (+4)
21 PAT (Same)
16 QR (Same)

State of Residence: Florida

Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 200+, In Person, 2 General Dentists
Volunteering Experience: 200+ Ranging from my local hospital, food bank, food drive, and homeless shelters
Employment: N/A
Research: 500+ hours; 2 publications

Relevant Honors or Awards: A few scholarships and 2 research grants

LOR type and strength: Committee letter of my dentist, research professor, and 3 professors. These letters are 3 years old, and I've used them once in the past.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
I was advised to rewrite my entire personal statement, but don't think it is that simple to do. I ended up just removing 1 entire paragraph out and replacing it with my new experiences during the last few years like retaking the DAT and Covid related shadowing and volunteer work (new stuff during the Covid era.) My introduction remains the same. The 2nd and 3rd paragraphs was my dental origin story, the steps I took, and what solidified my decision to become a dentist, so I cannot change that (or else I'll be altering the past.)

School list:
Roseman
University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine
University of Florida
NOVA
AT Still Missouri
University of Maryland
University of Detroit Mercy
Midwestern AZ
Midwestern IL
LECOM

Any advice is welcomed. Any suggestions on what schools I should add? How about remove? Also, I wanted to thank users Ryxndek and Mr.Smile12 for replying to my earlier thread. I'm hoping/predicting you both will see this post. I did not have the time to thank you both properly!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think your list is okay. Colorado and AT MO stand out as I don’t really see any connection for your app there. I know CO is relatively OOS friendly so if the mission is there then that should be fine. I’m not sure if the mission fit is present for AT MO, but maybe? I’m not as familiar with some schools.

Your list is a little bit of everywhere imo. Little bit of midwest, some south, south west. But no east coast. I’d try to focus on schools that are more regionally close to you, but I can understand the options are limited. Touro/case western/temple/Creighton/BU are some that come to mind.

you have your 3 home schools, so hopefully something comes out of that. Have you networked with any of your in state schools?

For now I’d think you’d be okay with what you have, if you wanted to add more, I’d look east coast. But I’d try your best to submit your app as soon as possible so it can get verified.

Date of submission: Hopefully by 8/19/2023 (tomorrow from the date this is posted, I'm still constructing my list)

*Most of my bad grades were the first 2 years of college. I was a straight A student with my gen chem, o chem, biology, etc when I switched to biology my Jr to Sr years. Basically, upward trend. This is a long time ago though. I've been out of college for a while now.

DAT score (include AA and all sections):
1st Attempt:

19 AA
20 TS
24 BIO
20 OCHEM
19 GenChem
17 RC
21 PAT
16 QR

2nd Attempt (with differences in score from 1st attempt):
20AA (+1)
21 TS (+1)
23 BIO (-1)
23 OCHEM (+3)
19 GenChem (Same)
21 RC (+4)
21 PAT (Same)
16 QR (Same)

Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes/No
Nontrad? No

Volunteering Experience: 200+ Ranging from my local hospital, food bank, food drive, and homeless shelters

LOR type and strength: Committee letter of my dentist, research professor, and 3 professors. These letters are 3 years old, and I've used them once in the past.

I was advised to rewrite my entire personal statement, but don't think it is that simple to do. I ended up just removing 1 entire paragraph out and replacing it with my new experiences during the last few years like retaking the DAT and Covid related shadowing and volunteer work (new stuff during the Covid era.) My introduction remains the same. The 2nd and 3rd paragraphs was my dental origin story, the steps I took, and what solidified my decision to become a dentist, so I cannot change that (or else I'll be altering the past.)

School list:
Roseman
University of Florida
NOVA
AT Still Missouri
University of Maryland
Midwestern AZ
Midwestern IL
LECOM

Any advice is welcomed. Any suggestions on what schools I should add? How about remove? Also, I wanted to thank users Ryxndek and Mr.Smile12 for replying to my earlier thread. I'm hoping/predicting you both will see this post. I did not have the time to thank you both properly!
what does this mean?
Reapplicant? Yes/No

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your list is okay. Colorado and AT MO stand out as I don’t really see any connection for your app there. I know CO is relatively OOS friendly so if the mission is there then that should be fine. I’m not sure if the mission fit is present for AT MO, but maybe? I’m not as familiar with some schools.

Your list is a little bit of everywhere imo. Little bit of midwest, some south, south west. But no east coast. I’d try to focus on schools that are more regionally close to you, but I can understand the options are limited. Touro/case western/temple/Creighton/BU are some that come to mind.

you have your 3 home schools, so hopefully something comes out of that. Have you networked with any of your in state schools?

For now I’d think you’d be okay with what you have, if you wanted to add more, I’d look east coast. But I’d try your best to submit your app as soon as possible so it can get verified.
I have family in Colorado, and I had an interview at AT MO a long time ago. Very cool school!

I will look into the schools you have mentioned. Thank you!

Oh, my bad. I must have glossed over it and forgot to erase the "No".
Yeah, I'm a reapplicant.
how many cycles have you applied?
interviews? rejections? waitlists?

how many cycles have you applied?
interviews? rejections? waitlists?
I applied back in 2020. Interviewed at Midwestern AZ, Roseman, UF, LECOM, NOVA, Maryland, AT Still MO. Waitlisted by all of them, then rejected by all of them. If I can recall, Midwestern AZ, LECOM, Maryland, and AT Still MO were all post dec interviews at that time, and I was notified by all of them that all their seats were filled and I was interviewing for a waitlist position.

I applied back in 2020. Interviewed at Midwestern AZ, Roseman, UF, LECOM, NOVA, Maryland, AT Still MO. Waitlisted by all of them, then rejected by all of them. If I can recall, Midwestern AZ, LECOM, Maryland, and AT Still MO were all post dec interviews at that time, and I was notified by all of them that all their seats were filled and I was interviewing for a waitlist position.
what have you done since then to improve your application?
did you follow up with the schools to get feedback?

what have you done since then to improve your application?
did you follow up with the schools to get feedback?
Increased my volunteering hours. Increased my shadowing hours. Retook the DAT. There is a year gap of me doing "nothing", but it was due to personal health issues, but after that was solved was when I returned back to volunteering and retaking the DAT.

LECOM, Maryland, and Roseman did not provide any feedback because they don't provide feedback to waitlisted candidates (they emailed me back telling me this.) NOVA and UF did tell me to retake the DAT, with UF wishing me luck not to get a lower score. They did want to see a higher RC because they put a lot of stock into the RC section (what the admissions officer told me.) NOVA the person on the phone for some reason had access to my interview notes and said that I was nervous (it was my first interview at the time.) AT Still MO didn't provide me any feedback, just suggested that I increased my volunteer hours to help increase my chances. I did not contact Midwestern AZ.

Now that I think about it... is there anything else I could have done to improve my application? Is retaking the DAT and increasing my volunteering and shadowing enough? I know Masters program and Post Bacc are an option, but multiple sources recommended against that because my grades were fine...

Increased my volunteering hours. Increased my shadowing hours. Retook the DAT. There is a year gap of me doing "nothing", but it was due to personal health issues, but after that was solved was when I returned back to volunteering and retaking the DAT.

LECOM, Maryland, and Roseman did not provide any feedback because they don't provide feedback to waitlisted candidates (they emailed me back telling me this.) NOVA and UF did tell me to retake the DAT, with UF wishing me luck not to get a lower score. They did want to see a higher RC because they put a lot of stock into the RC section (what the admissions officer told me.) NOVA the person on the phone for some reason had access to my interview notes and said that I was nervous (it was my first interview at the time.) AT Still MO didn't provide me any feedback, just suggested that I increased my volunteer hours to help increase my chances. I did not contact Midwestern AZ.
well, it looks like you did what they asked

IMO, with 3 pre-dec and 4 post-dec interviews with all waitlist/rejections, the main issue is interviewing...

well, it looks like you did what they asked

IMO, with 3 pre-dec and 4 post-dec interviews with all waitlist/rejections, the main issue is interviewing...
Hopefully that is all I have to worry about. My letters of rec are sorta old and my personal statement only has like 30% new content. I hope things go well this time.

I also believe it may have been luck as well since my post dec interviews were all for waitlist positions. My scores did get the pre dec slots.

Also, ALL of my interviews in 2020 were online. I'm sure schools are back in person now, so lets see how that goes.

Hopefully that is all I have to worry about. My letters of rec are sorta old and my personal statement only has like 30% new content. I hope things go well this time.

I also believe it may have been luck as well since my post dec interviews were all for waitlist positions. My scores did get the pre dec slots.

Also, ALL of my interviews in 2020 were online. I'm sure schools are back in person now, so lets see how that goes.
good luck, sounds like you are well aware of what you are up against
although i wish you would stop talking about the waitlist spots, that's immaterial, they liked what you presented previously, they will likely appreciate the improvements you have made (although i also wish you would've taken the DAT sooner and gotten your app in earlier, you are not late)
i kinda think you should branch out a bit from the schools that already offered you interviews
but i really don't like the choice of UDM, they interview hundreds and make people wait forever

Reactions: 1 users
Your old WAMC thread

I need more time to read through this thread, but take note of past advice: improve interviewing skills and make a better argument for fit. You were not late with 3 pre-Dec interviews.

An interview is still a chance for a seat. Plenty of (private) schools are filled with post December students. You cannot predict waitlist movement once you hit March, and the COVID period was crazy.

Shoot your shot. You have had chances to connect with students at dental schools, and I think you will get some attention.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your old WAMC thread

I need more time to read through this thread, but take note of past advice: improve interviewing skills and make a better argument for fit. You were not late with 3 pre-Dec interviews.

An interview is still a chance for a seat. Plenty of (private) schools are filled with post December students. You cannot predict waitlist movement once you hit March, and the COVID period was crazy.

Shoot your shot. You have had chances to connect with students at dental schools, and I think you will get some attention.
this is why you should always quote reply to OP posts...

this is why you should always quote reply to OP posts...
I regret deleting the old one. I think during that time, I did not have a single research publication yet, but I won't know :/ Would have been nice for me to compare. I don't think it was even in WAMC format.

Oh, just noticed, any updated LORs?
I'm planning on getting my new community manager for one of the places I volunteer at to write me a new LOR, but that will come later.

As for the committee letter, my school stop doing these. I can only reuse the old one I have on file and cannot update it. The old one I'm using has 5 letters.

Basically, 1 old committee letter, and a new LOR from a place I volunteer at. I may get another LOR from another place I volunteer at as well. I'm not sure if it will make a difference though.

Last edited:
I'm planning on getting my new community manager for one of the places I volunteer at to write me a new LOR, but that will come later.

As for the committee letter, my school stop doing these. I can only reuse the old one I have on file and cannot update it. The old one I'm using has 5 letters.

Basically, 1 old committee letter, and a new LOR from a place I volunteer at. I may get another LOR from another place I volunteer at as well. I'm not sure if it will make a difference though.
Check with your schools (if you hadn't already done this before applying). Usually having just one contemporaneous letter is enough, but every school manage your old letters differently (will they value old professor letters, for example).

What do you think about UNE's dental school? It's on the East Coast. I like their mission statement. One of their requirements is "no transfer credit will be granted." Do you know what that means?

What do you think about UNE's dental school? It's on the East Coast. I like their mission statement. One of their requirements is "no transfer credit will be granted." Do you know what that means?
You can ask the admissions team. They're rather nice. Basically "no transfer credit" means, if you took courses from another dental school, in all likelihood, the dental school will still force you to start over with your first year.

Reactions: 2 users

DAT score from 2019 I think (include AA and all sections):
1st Attempt:

19 AA
20 TS
24 BIO
20 OCHEM
19 GenChem
17 RC
21 PAT
16 QR

2nd Attempt from a few days ago(with differences in score from 1st attempt):
20AA (+1)
21 TS (+1)
23 BIO (-1)
23 OCHEM (+3)
19 GenChem (Same)
21 RC (+4)
21 PAT (Same)
16 QR (Same)

Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

School list:
Roseman
University of Florida
NOVA
AT Still Missouri
University of Maryland
Midwestern AZ
Midwestern IL
LECOM

congrats on a successful retake of the DAT! it was worth the extra effort you have undergone and it will pay off im sure! that boost is now making your application competitive. application process is long and nerve wrecking at times, have faith and apply to way more schools! 15-20 is what every student should be doing. applying early (first weeks) and applying broadly (15-20) is what everybody should be doing to maximize your chances of gaining acceptance into dental school! best of luck, fingers crossed!

good luck, sounds like you are well aware of what you are up against
although i wish you would stop talking about the waitlist spots, that's immaterial, they liked what you presented previously, they will likely appreciate the improvements you have made (although i also wish you would've taken the DAT sooner and gotten your app in earlier, you are not late)
i kinda think you should branch out a bit from the schools that already offered you interviews
but i really don't like the choice of UDM, they interview hundreds and make people wait forever

Your old WAMC thread

congrats on a successful retake of the DAT! it was worth the extra effort you have undergone and it will pay off im sure! that boost is now making your application competitive. application process is long and nerve wrecking at times, have faith and apply to way more schools! 15-20 is what every student should be doing. applying early (first weeks) and applying broadly (15-20) is what everybody should be doing to maximize your chances of gaining acceptance into dental school! best of luck, fingers crossed!
I was accepted to a school on decision day. I want to thank all of you for all the advice and help you have given me.

My application was submitted around the last week of August, with a few schools I've added in early October. I was very shocked but grateful to receive a few interviews in November, then finally an acceptance on December 15. This all happened so fast. To all the future applicants reading my post for reference, my advice to you is to please apply early. Half the schools I applied to did not even get to my application until November. Future applicants who need advice, please DM me if you have any questions. I will try my best to share my experiences with you.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted to a school on decision day. I want to thank all of you for all the advice and help you have given me.

My application was submitted around the last week of August, with a few schools I've added in early October. I was very shocked but grateful to receive a few interviews in November, then finally an acceptance on December 15. This all happened so fast. To all the future applicants reading my post for reference, my advice to you is to please apply early. Half the schools I applied to did not even get to my application until November. Future applicants who need advice, please DM me if you have any questions. I will try my best to share my experiences with you.
awesome!
how many interview invites did you receive?
was the acceptance from one of the schools you interviewed at earlier?

awesome!
how many interview invites did you receive?
was the acceptance from one of the schools you interviewed at earlier?
I received 2 interview invites. The acceptance was not from a school I interviewed with earlier. (Actually its techinically 3 invites, I received an invite from Nova yesterday, but I'll be turning it down. I'm sad that even though it's a Florida school, the cost is so high...)

I received 2 interview invites. The acceptance was not from a school I interviewed with earlier. (Actually its techinically 3 invites, I received an invite from Nova yesterday, but I'll be turning it down. I'm sad that even though it's a Florida school, the cost is so high...)
interesting that you didn't get nibbles from the schools that gave you an invite before
that tells me that they didn't like your interviews
what did you do differently this time around?

interesting that you didn't get nibbles from the schools that gave you an invite before
that tells me that they didn't like your interviews
what did you do differently this time around?
It was most likely the interviews. I improved my interview skills this time around. Got rid of the "umms" and "uhhhs" in between responses. I also changed the way I interviewed by just keeping my answers short and straight, less fluff. I'm kind of sad I won't be testing it out on the schools that previously interviewed me. A lot of schools emailed me in November that my application was finally completed and ready to be reviewed, which means they still had to sift through all the people that applied before me still.

Other than that, I increased my volunteering hours, shadowing hours, and had a few extra letters of recommendations. Also had a very slight higher DAT score. Changed a single paragraph on my personal statement.

I removed UDM from my list. In addition to that advice you gave me, there was something kind of... off... about the school. Not to discourage any future applicants to that school, I'm sure its a great program, but I don't know.

It was most likely the interviews. I improved my interview skills this time around. Got rid of the "umms" and "uhhhs" in between responses. I also changed the way I interviewed by just keeping my answers short and straight, less fluff. I'm kind of sad I won't be testing it out on the schools that previously interviewed me. A lot of schools emailed me in November that my application was finally completed and ready to be reviewed, which means they still had to sift through all the people that applied before me still.

Other than that, I increased my volunteering hours, shadowing hours, and had a few extra letters of recommendations. Also had a very slight higher DAT score. Changed a single paragraph on my personal statement.

I removed UDM from my list. In addition to that advice you gave me, there was something kind of... off... about the school. Not to discourage any future applicants to that school, I'm sure its a great program, but I don't know.
awesome, congrats on the improvements!

one last question- was the school that accepted you one of the ones you applied to in october?

awesome, congrats on the improvements!

one last question- was the school that accepted you one of the ones you applied to in october?
Yeah it was. You can ask me more questions if you'd like.

Last edited:
It was most likely the interviews. I improved my interview skills this time around. Got rid of the "umms" and "uhhhs" in between responses. I also changed the way I interviewed by just keeping my answers short and straight, less fluff.
Good for you! :) If this was the key for your success, congratulations!

Congratulations! Did I understand your correctly that you got accepted by the school you didn’t interview with?

Congratulations! Did I understand your correctly that you got accepted by the school you didn’t interview with?
no, OP got accepted to a school this year that they didn't receive an interview from last year...

Thank you. I suppose no one can be accepted unless they were interviewed. I applied in August to 23 schools (GPA 4.0 DAT 23) mostly along east coast. Got interviewed at 7, received 3 acceptances, 1 rejection, waitlisted at 1, didn’t hear back from any remaining schools.
Given folks experience, what are my chances to hear from the remaining schools?

Thank you. I suppose no one can be accepted unless they were interviewed. I applied in August to 23 schools (GPA 4.0 DAT 23) mostly along east coast. Got interviewed at 7, received 3 acceptances, 1 rejection, waitlisted at 1, didn’t hear back from any remaining schools.
lots of schools are going to assume someone with your stats already has lots of choices already...

... I applied in August to 23 schools (GPA 4.0 DAT 23) mostly along east coast. Got interviewed at 7, received 3 acceptances, 1 rejection, waitlisted at 1, didn’t hear back from any remaining schools.
Depends on your list and your mission fit. Some schools won't bother, and some schools may wait until now to see if you are still available to interview. No WAMC, so no idea.

Depends on your list and your mission fit. Some schools won't bother, and some schools may wait until now to see if you are still available to interview. No WAMC, so no idea.
Thank you for your response! I can’t figure out what WAMC stand for.

I will be running a comparison between the 3 schools I got acceptances from and intend to use this criteria:
1. Cost of attendance
2. Number of students per professor
3. How early can students start assisting with patient treatment
4. Boards stats
5. Ease of access to specialization courses/ labs

I appreciate how hard and expensive it is to get into a specialization program and will prefer a school that allows an easier access to take specialization courses as part of a general dentistry program.

I would greatly appreciate if you could suggest any other important criteria I should include?
Thank you very much!

I will be running a comparison between the 3 schools I got acceptances from and intend to use this criteria:
1. Cost of attendance
2. Number of students per professor
3. How early can students start assisting with patient treatment
4. Boards stats
5. Ease of access to specialization courses/ labs

I appreciate how hard and expensive it is to get into a specialization program and will prefer a school that allows an easier access to take specialization courses as part of a general dentistry program.

I would greatly appreciate if you could suggest any other important criteria I should include?
Thank you very much!
You can post that comparison in our X vs. Y subforum.

Thank you for your response! I can’t figure out what WAMC stand for.