Veterans: Anyone using VA voc rehab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if I actually need a VA ID card? I have my first appointment with a VA doctor at an outpatient clinic in a couple weeks, but when I called asking if I’ll be getting an ID card there, they said I have to get that somewhere else...

You fill out the forms and get your picture taken at a VA facility, but they get mailed to you, which takes a few weeks in and of itself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if I actually need a VA ID card? I have my first appointment with a VA doctor at an outpatient clinic in a couple weeks, but when I called asking if I’ll be getting an ID card there, they said I have to get that somewhere else...

I lost my VA card years ago, and even though I don't go there for medical care, I still do for dental and have never been asked for my VA card (though I have retired military ID)

Reactions: 1 users
I lost my VA card years ago, and even though I don't go there for medical care, I still do for dental and have never been asked for my VA card (though I have retired military ID)

Once I got my military retiree ID card, I've never even bothered to look into getting a VA card. Might be something I should do but....meh

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, so just a quick summary: I was denied Voc Rehab earlier this year because the counselor said she couldn't approve it since I'm moving OOS for med school, plus I didn't have enough documentation for my SCD. So I'm planning on applying once I move and start school.

Since then I've also started seeing my primary care doc a few times to get more documentation, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough.

The good thing I found out is that I have more of my GI Bill remaining (than I originally thought) to cover both the upcoming fall semester AND spring semester.

So do you guys think it would be a better idea to wait until next spring to apply again, rather than the fall, just so I can get more primary care doctor visits? Hopefully that makes sense.

Hey guys, so just a quick summary: I was denied Voc Rehab earlier this year because the counselor said she couldn't approve it since I'm moving OOS for med school, plus I didn't have enough documentation for my SCD. So I'm planning on applying once I move and start school.

Since then I've also started seeing my primary care doc a few times to get more documentation, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough.

The good thing I found out is that I have more of my GI Bill remaining (than I originally thought) to cover both the upcoming fall semester AND spring semester.

So do you guys think it would be a better idea to wait until next spring to apply again, rather than the fall, just so I can get more primary care doctor visits? Hopefully that makes sense.

It can help to wait until you are at your new location. As far as PCP visits helping, that entirely depends on what your SCD is. If your SCD is a condition that your PCP would treat and the PCP's findings strengthen your case, it could help. However, the only time I've ever seen physician visits contribute positively to a case is where the VRC suspects a veteran would not be able to complete the program or would not be able to hold employment after completing the program and they are requesting that a physician go on record to document that their opinion is that you would be able to hold employment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

I would wait if it was me (I’ll digress for the other side of the coin though). The main drive is a paper trail based on self-evident documentation by outside professionals. In your case, it’d be your primary care doc.

I always figure 3 things cannot be disputed:

1) Official Transcripts
2) Acceptance Letter
3) Documents signed by healthcare professionals testifying of your ability to complete your program

Definitely wait to apply until you're at the new location as esob said, but I wouldn't necessarily wait until spring as the process can take a since, which you're aware of. I'd get everything started for the GI Bill in the fall, and then apply once you're there and situated so that if approved you can switch to VRE in spring or the following fall depending on how long it takes.

Reactions: 1 users
I was just approved for the VR&E program for med school (covering the difference in my financial aid and cost) but my counselor keeps saying that I'm limited to 48 months of coverage. Problem is I almost completely exhausted my GI bill benefits (19 days left), so I have slightly more than a year of coverage under the VR&E program until I'm finished with the 48 months. I'm also at 90% SCD. When the first year is up do my benefits just drop? Or when I'm approved, since I had to submit curriculum stuff (the counselor wrote my class date of 2023), and whatnot is my ENTIRE course of study approved along with it? Meaning I'm covered for the whole time? Also when my wife exhausted her GI bill she got $1200 back from when we had to buy into the GI bill, I asked my VR&E counselor and she got pretty upset and was saying I was double dipping for asking if I'd get my money back.

Last edited:
I was just approved for the VR&E program for med school (covering the difference in my financial aid and cost) but my counselor keeps saying that I'm limited to 48 months of coverage. Problem is I almost completely exhausted my GI bill benefits (19 days left), so I have slightly more than a year of coverage under the VR&E program until I'm finished with the 48 months. I'm also at 90% SCD. When the first year is up do my benefits just drop? Or when I'm approved, since I had to submit curriculum stuff (the counselor wrote my class date of 2023), and whatnot is my ENTIRE course of study approved along with it? Meaning I'm covered for the whole time? Also when my wife exhausted her GI bill she got $1200 back from when we had to buy into the GI bill, I asked my VR&E counselor and she got pretty upset and was saying I was double dipping for asking if I'd get my money back.

Congrats on being approved.

It's odd that your counselor approved you and is limiting you to 48 months rather to completion, AND odd that she is specifying that it will cost the difference between financial aid and total cost. I didn't have any financial aid in med school, but I did in undergrad (voc rehab for both) and the full amount up to the cap (private) was paid, and the fall semester excess was paid back to me (spring wasnt fully covered due to annual cap, but WAS covered between the remaining, fin aid, and left over fin aid from the previous semester due to "overpayment"). Anyway, that's why I find it odd.

If she truly is is only covering you for 12 months, that should get you through the first year and the first semester of year 2, but yes, from the sound of it, it will just drop. This additionally sounds odd because of it being an employment program - halfway through year two, you will not be employed - rather you will not have even taken boards yet.

Regarding submitted your whole curriculum - The entire duration of the program SHOULD be covered if approved, since they are supposed to see you through to employment (residency in this case).

Not sure why your counselor got upset - it's a fair question about the $1200. No you will not get the $1200 back if you start using voc rehab. If you were to use up the last 19 days of GI Bill without voc rehab you would, but once you switch, you will not "exhaust" the GI Bill as you'd be exhausting voc rehab then. I wouldn't worry about this all that much though because while you currently still rate the GI Bill, making the switch to voc rehab allows you to receive a stipend at or around the level of BAH like you'd get with the GI Bill. If you were to exhaust 9/11 to get the $1200 and then make the switch, the standard stipend is often much less than the BAH amount, and thus you'd likely get the difference back relatively quickly and then some depending on your location.

I was just approved for the VR&E program for med school (covering the difference in my financial aid and cost) but my counselor keeps saying that I'm limited to 48 months of coverage. Problem is I almost completely exhausted my GI bill benefits (19 days left), so I have slightly more than a year of coverage under the VR&E program until I'm finished with the 48 months.

I would contest as to why your only eligible the difference of 48 months with Post 9/11 and Chapter 31 VR&E. Your approval of Chapter 31 has nothing to do with the overall 48 month limitation statute put out by the combination of education benefits (Mainly Montgomery and Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits). Chapter 31 is not an education benefit but an employment track that "may-cover-education" if need be.

As for the return of the $1200 investment after maxing out Chapter 33 benefits but crossing over your BAH entitlement to be matched with VR&E: I'm not sure....I suppose its viewed as an unwritten rule that if you capitalize on your Post 9/11 with VR&E its a lost cause. Yet, going back to what I was saying, education entitlements really have nothing to do with any limitations of your "Employment Entitlement" and with that I don't see why you couldn't get your investment back ($ is $ as a student no matter where it comes from). I'd ask and see what reference (if any) is given. Never hurts to ask now that your accepted on Chapter 31 (congrats btw).

Hey new interns, don't forget to contact your VRC after completing your Ch 31 program.

§ 21.268 Employment adjustment allowance.
(a)General. A veteran who completes a period of rehabilitation and reaches the point of employability will be paid an employment adjustment allowance for a period of two months at the full-time subsistence allowance rate for the type of program the veteran was last pursuing. (See § 21.190(d))

That's two months of BAH ontop of your resident salary! It's a big help with relocation expenses.