VCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks! i'll definitely tell everyone how it went.

Members don't see this ad.

So I had my interview yesterday and was extremely impressed, if I get in here this is where I will attend. The interviews went really good with exception of one part, my MCAT.

I was just wondering if my low MCAT would keep me being accepted even though everything else went really well with my interview?!?!?

Why does VCOM teach physiology before they do the system blocks? Anyone have an opinion on whether this a good move or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview went really well! I don't know why it always rains when I come to Virginia but it cleared up by the time of our tour. A few grades came up in one interview, but then again, I think he was supposed to be the "tough guy" interviewer so he asked all the questions I didn't want to answer. I buttered him up in the end by talking about research (which he's really into).

When they give you the VCOM pamplet at the beginning, flip through it to see if you can find your interviewers. It's a quick way to learn something about them before you go in and it'll give you something to talk about when they ask you whether you have any questions and so they get off your case (if someone's even on your case).

Other than that first interview everything was great and the van ride with Julie was fun. She almost flipped the van (hyperbole) trying to miss a squirrel running across the road.

So I had my interview yesterday and was extremely impressed, if I get in here this is where I will attend. The interviews went really good with exception of one part, my MCAT.

I was just wondering if my low MCAT would keep me being accepted even though everything else went really well with my interview?!?!?

They know exactly what your stats are, yet you still made it to the interview phase, right? (despite your low MCAT). I am sure you had something in your application that they really liked and interests them. So, they call you for an interview to get to know you. I think if you did well in your interviews, you have a good chance of getting in. Don't stress too much. I think if you have something they really like, they will give you a chance, despite your low score. VCOM looks at the whole person and not just what you made on ONE test. I know this b/c I was in your shoes a couple months back and they gave me a chance. That's why I love VCOM so much. I really appreciate their Philosophy and their school.

My interview went really well! I don't know why it always rains when I come to Virginia but it cleared up by the time of our tour. A few grades came up in one interview, but then again, I think he was supposed to be the "tough guy" interviewer so he asked all the questions I didn't want to answer. I buttered him up in the end by talking about research (which he's really into).

When they give you the VCOM pamplet at the beginning, flip through it to see if you can find your interviewers. It's a quick way to learn something about them before you go in and it'll give you something to talk about when they ask you whether you have any questions and so they get off your case (if someone's even on your case).

Other than that first interview everything was great and the van ride with Julie was fun. She almost flipped the van (hyperbole) trying to miss a squirrel running across the road.

Glad to hear your interviews went well, and I'm glad to hear the squirrel is ok. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. Did they tell you how long you had to wait to hear something? I hope things turn out great for you.

i got a voicemail from admissions about my app. interview invite perhaps? ha well same say I just sent in my PCOM deposit, oops..

i got a voicemail from admissions about my app. interview invite perhaps? ha well same say I just sent in my PCOM deposit, oops..

Yeah, I bet that's what it is. They left me a voicemail saying that they wanted to talk to me about my application. Then, I called back and sure enough...an interview. Are you going to go to the interview if this is an offer? Congratulations by the way on PCOM.

We hear back Friday by noon because we happened to interview a day before the committee meets. Hopefully I get good news!

hi all!

if you are rejected post-secondary, how do they let you know? is it by email or by letter mail, or phone call? thank you! My application has been complete since monday, but im just curious :p

Yeah, I bet that's what it is. They left me a voicemail saying that they wanted to talk to me about my application. Then, I called back and sure enough...an interview. Are you going to go to the interview if this is an offer? Congratulations by the way on PCOM.

thanks! I'm not sure yet if I'd go or not. I have a decision to make haha.

Yeah, that sounds like a tough decision. If you have some extra cash and time, I would definitely try to go to the interview (especially if you've never visited the campus). From everything I've read, heard, and seen, VCOM can offer you a great education. But that's just me. I know that Bacchus has had to decide between VCOM and PCOM. Maybe you can see what he thinks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So after working night shift last night I have been in and out of sleep and ended up getting a call a few minutes ago from admissions saying I was accepted!!!

After interviewing here this quickly turned into my top choice... Im so excited!!!

I interviewed at both places and chose VCOM....it stole my heart!!! I had my PCOM interview first and VCOM was the last one! and guess what, i am here :D give it a try if u got the money and time

Simple,

Are you a second year student? Did you have lunch with interviewees?

I ask, because there was a second year that ate with my group, and he chose VCOM over PCOM.

How is VCOM doing rotation assignments now? Are they using the match system or something else?

Simple,

Are you a second year student? Did you have lunch with interviewees?

I ask, because there was a second year that ate with my group, and he chose VCOM over PCOM.

I am a second year, but i didnt have lunch with your group....

How is VCOM doing rotation assignments now? Are they using the match system or something else?

most people get their first choice, but in the event that people fight for the competitive sites (such as the ones that are close to home for most southern students, like NC and SC rotation sites), they do lottery!

hope this helps!

Congrats to all the newly accepted VCOM Class of 2013!!!

I edited a picture from http://www.campusemporium.com/ which has a nice VCOM car window sticker for sale that has that logo... had to buy one. :cool: I would post the pic in my signature but currently don't have the privilege to put pictures in that slot.

Link to the decal/sticker:

http://www.campusemporium.com/cdi-decal-arch-vt-vcom.html
That's awesome! I didn't know that existed!

Congrats to all of you who got accepted... and sorry I have not been around to answer questions - finals have me pinned down. After next week, we'll be home FREE! WOO!

Just coming off a decision postponed-post interview- for the MD school in my state, which could have been worse I guess. Looking forward to my first DO interview here at VCOM. Any suggestions?!

Just coming off a decision postponed-post interview- for the MD school in my state, which could have been worse I guess. Looking forward to my first DO interview here at VCOM. Any suggestions?!

interview feedback from people who recently interviewed at VCOM! i wouldnt worry...the interview process is not as painful and grilling as you think...everybody is nice!!

http://more.studentdoctor.net/interviewlist.php?school=2

I just received my acceptance letter in the mail. It states that my acceptance depends on me making a B or higher in 8 hours of Organic Chem (which I made a B this past semester in Org I) and 2 hours of Physics (which i made an A in this past semester)

I was under the impression that after an acceptance you just had to make a C, not that this places any stress on my b/c I had an A in organic this semester and then didn't study for the final due to work. (I'm not trying to sound like a slacker either) I am still going to try to get an A in organic II next semester, it just makes my acceptance feel a little less secure than I had hoped. Is this type of acceptance letter normal?!?!?

I just received my acceptance letter in the mail. It states that my acceptance depends on me making a B or higher in 8 hours of Organic Chem (which I made a B this past semester in Org I) and 2 hours of Physics (which i made an A in this past semester)

I was under the impression that after an acceptance you just had to make a C, not that this places any stress on my b/c I had an A in organic this semester and then didn't study for the final due to work. (I'm not trying to sound like a slacker either) I am still going to try to get an A in organic II next semester, it just makes my acceptance feel a little less secure than I had hoped. Is this type of acceptance letter normal?!?!?
Schools will often give an acceptance dependent on certain things. I'm sure they liked you, but the lack of 3/8 of the pre-requisite classes probably made them a little cautious.

But hey, if you can't get a B in organic, can you really handle med school? Just work hard, knock it out, you'll do great.

Good point I am not worried I should get an A this next semester in Organic II I was just making sure that I am doing everything right

i have to give up my interview offer..good luck to those waiting!:D

Overall a very positive experience at the interview today. Nice lunch was welcomed after the last few schools stank airplane food:thumbdown:...is stank a
word?:D Been a long day but just wanted to tell everyone thanks on this site!!!

Got back from the interview last night. I really liked the school. The three interviews were pretty low key. Well, the last interviewer was a little tough. Also, he talked very softly, and I couldn't hear him very well. Everyone there was incredibly nice. If we are accepted, they will call us on Thursday...should make for a nerve-racking couple of days.

Anyways, I'm going to leave a review on the interview feedback section later today. Good luck to my fellow interviewees. It was nice to meet everyone.

I was invited to VCOM interview in January. I have 2 offers already but my heart is really into DMU and I think if I get accepted I will go there. However, I've heard such wonderful things about VCOM. I was put on hold after I submitted my secondary but then I wrote a letter of interest and I was invited to an interview. You can never tell how good a school is until you actually visit and go to your interview. So, I wasn't sure about my schools until my interview, and I didn't realize how much I would fall in love with DMU. But, I feel that VCOM is such a great school and I would be missing out if I cancel my interview. I am still waiting to hear from DMU and it will be at least another week or so before I find out about my status. I dont have to make a decision about cancelling my VCOM interview yet-my interview is Jan 6. There is a chance that I dont get accepted to DMU and that means I'll keep my interview slot. But what if I do get accepted to DMU, should I go to the interview and give it a shot? I'm pretty tired of interviewing and VCOM will be #7 for me. I have the money and time to make the trip, so I dont have anything holding me back. Like I said, I dont have to make a decision now, but I'm wondering if I should cancel or not.....

I was invited to VCOM interview in January. I have 2 offers already but my heart is really into DMU and I think if I get accepted I will go there. However, I've heard such wonderful things about VCOM. I was put on hold after I submitted my secondary but then I wrote a letter of interest and I was invited to an interview. You can never tell how good a school is until you actually visit and go to your interview. So, I wasn't sure about my schools until my interview, and I didn't realize how much I would fall in love with DMU. But, I feel that VCOM is such a great school and I would be missing out if I cancel my interview. I am still waiting to hear from DMU and it will be at least another week or so before I find out about my status. I dont have to make a decision about cancelling my VCOM interview yet-my interview is Jan 6. There is a chance that I dont get accepted to DMU and that means I'll keep my interview slot. But what if I do get accepted to DMU, should I go to the interview and give it a shot? I'm pretty tired of interviewing and VCOM will be #7 for me. I have the money and time to make the trip, so I dont have anything holding me back. Like I said, I dont have to make a decision now, but I'm wondering if I should cancel or not.....

if accepted to DMU, cancel your interview! DMU is a great school...no doubt! if not accepted, give VCOM a chance, you will fall in love with the school, I promise!

I'm gonna be a Hokie!!!!! I feel like Christmas came early.

Congratulations! I'm guessing you were in my interview group yesterday.

Yep. This was my number one choice. Over all the DO and MD schools I got accepted to.I loved their sports medicine programs as well as their medical missions. Can't wait to get to Blacksburg.

IM IN VCOM. CLASS OF 2013. I just got my phone call at 1208 today. Im so stoke. I am giving up my spot at WVSOM so that spot is now open!!!!
I will definitely be starting at VCOM in the fall. Interview was yesterday, acceptance notice today!!!!

Paul Graham

IM IN VCOM. CLASS OF 2013. I just got my phone call at 1208 today. Im so stoke. I am giving up my spot at WVSOM so that spot is now open!!!!
I will definitely be starting at VCOM in the fall. Interview was yesterday, acceptance notice today!!!!

Paul Graham

Congrats!!! :cool:

Me too!!! I'm so excited...I don't know how to celebrate!

see you got in!! congrats!!!:D

by the way, i asked about you interview day and I was like "anyone interviewing today that has a last name of "spooner" or that contains that title...and the admission staff looked at me strangely and gave me all these long complicated names of people interviewing that day....and i was like "never mind" it was awkard!

anyway, congratulations again on joining the hokie community! and u should be excited to see knollwood building by the time u come...a couple of days ago, they put these advanced technological hardware everywhere you walk.... and the word is, we are getting 3 hyperbaric chambers into that building soon for clinical and research use!! I am so excited! I LOVE VCOM! now, dats my school :cool:

see you got in!! congrats!!!:D

by the way, i asked about you interview day and I was like "anyone interviewing today that has a last name of "spooner" or that contains that title...and the admission staff looked at me strangely and gave me all these long complicated names of people interviewing that day....and i was like "never mind" it was awkard!

anyway, congratulations again on joining the hokie community! and u should be excited to see knollwood building by the time u come...a couple of days ago, they put these advanced technological hardware everywhere you walk.... and the word is, we are getting 3 hyperbaric chambers into that building soon for clinical and research use!! I am so excited! I LOVE VCOM! now, dats my school :cool:

Thanks simpleman! I'm still really excited. When I called my mom to tell her, she screamed so loud that it almost burst my eardrum. She came with me to the open house last month, and she loved VCOM too.

That's cool that you asked about me on my interview day. Sorry that I made for an awkward moment. Spooner is the name of dog who died a few years ago.

Yeah, they took us over to the new building, and it looks great so far. They told us about everything that will be up and running by the time we start. It's all pretty exciting.

After months (actually years) of wanting an acceptance from VCOM, it's hard to believe that I actually have one. Thanks for all of the encouragement and advice! I really appreciate it, and I'm sure others do as well.

Yep. This was my number one choice. Over all the DO and MD schools I got accepted to.I loved their sports medicine programs as well as their medical missions. Can't wait to get to Blacksburg.
Keep that passion! When you get drowned in studying, you have to put in a little extra effort in order to get involved. I joined both the Sports Med club and am going to Guatemala in Febuary (got my passport application sent off today!).

There are tons and tons of opportunities, but it's very easy to become too busy. Make time!

As far as Sports Med club, definitely do it. We have the opportunity to go to football practices with the doctors (some ACC rule so we can't go to the actual games, from what I hear), wrestling matches, all sorts of games, etc... Plus you get a t-shirt. haha ;)

You guys will love it here. I can't wait for the new building either! It's going up pretty quick...

Who on here interviewed with me Dec 16th. I cant wait to see you guys

Kinda bummed out! Thought the interviews went well on Monday, told us the adcom met on Thursday and they would notify then, but a couple people from my group and from yesterday's group found out today?! Definitely contributing to post interview neurosis:scared::D Oh well, life goes on.

Kinda bummed out! Thought the interviews went well on Monday, told us the adcom met on Thursday and they would notify then, but a couple people from my group and from yesterday's group found out today?! Definitely contributing to post interview neurosis:scared::D Oh well, life goes on.

Hopefully, they meant that everyone would be called by Thursday. Maybe they just did not get to review everyone today, and they'll review your application tomorrow. I really hope that is the case man. I'm cheering for you. Good luck!

awww yay! more classmates! congrats!!!

(join the facebook group.lol)

Anyone looking to be roommates. Im 22 m into the fitness and weightliftin thing, strict diet, love to party when not studing, my gf will be living with me as well and will be going to radford or Vt.

Status
Not open for further replies.