VCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You sound like my twin, my fiance and I are starting to look for places to live. We were both exercise phys majors and love extreme sports...

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed on 12/15 and they said they would let us know something after the adcom met on Thursday. Guess what...no word. Do you think it is being hasty to email them in the morning to check my status? The interviews themselves went well, even with one of the interviewers cancelling due to an emergency, at which point someone else was asked to fill in for a brief session. Any advice is appreciated!

I would call them on Friday morning, they are doing finals this week so there is always a chance they got too busy. Also Bea told us if we had not heard by Friday morning, to call and check in and they would be able to give you an update.

Don't count yourself out yet, I got in at LMU DCOM, and they said they called but I did not get the messege until 2 wks later only to find out I was accepted, so I worried all that time for nothing.. Moral is do not worry until you need to worry, things will work out one way or another.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on 12/15 and they said they would let us know something after the adcom met on Thursday. Guess what...no word. Do you think it is being hasty to email them in the morning to check my status? The interviews themselves went well, even with one of the interviewers cancelling due to an emergency, at which point someone else was asked to fill in for a brief session. Any advice is appreciated!

if accepted, they usually call right away and give you the news!

if u havent heard anything, thats not a good sign...sorry :( but give them a call tomorrow morning...and ask about your status! and they will tell you where u stand!

dont worry and put your fate in God's hands...He will put you in the right school.

hope your other interviews are going well....God bless

Hey guys,

So I'm still really excited and grateful that I've been accepted. I'm 99.9% sure that I will attend.

I only have one concern with VCOM. I love the concept of the block system, but is it realistically possible to do research without a large summer break? If any current students could comment on this, that would be great. Again, I love VCOM and will most likely attend, but I just have this one question.

Thanks

Hey guys,

So I'm still really excited and grateful that I've been accepted. I'm 99.9% sure that I will attend.

I only have one concern with VCOM. I love the concept of the block system, but is it realistically possible to do research without a large summer break? If any current students could comment on this, that would be great. Again, I love VCOM and will most likely attend, but I just have this one question.

Thanks

yes! from what i understand is that you do research throughout the whole year, not just the summer, which is really nice, i think.

if you have an interest area for research, you will get assigned to that PhD professor with the area he/she is working on. There is alot of research topics and lots of money grants!!!

come to VCOM!!!! :D

People do research all the time. It is definitely possible we are located on va techs research campus and have a good amount of research faculty. You can definitely do research and I'm sure you have heard we even have a DO/phd program with va tech if you are serious about it. As far as the block system itself I keep asking myself HOW people do the amount of work that we do for an entire semester. I would be dead. I'm telling you the block system is the best thing that can happen to you. It feels like we get a lot of breaks and they are much needed because they will work you to death when you are not on break. Good luck!

Hey guys,

Thanks

Can someone explain the block schedule to me? I don't know how a block schedule works or what it is. I'm applying for the 2009 cycle and trying to get my list of schools together.

Thanks for the info Natatia and simpleman!

Can someone explain the block schedule to me? I don't know how a block schedule works or what it is. I'm applying for the 2009 cycle and trying to get my list of schools together.

I'm not a current VCOM student, but I'll try to give you a general idea about the block schedule. At most schools, there is a fall and spring semester and summer break. VCOM, on the other hand, does not do semesters. Instead, you will take 6 blocks per school year, and in between each block, you get a break (I think like a week or so). I'm not sure how long you get for Christmas. I think it is probably a week or two. Also, there is no two-three month summer break. I believe that in the past VCOM students have been given three weeks. However, at my interview last week, a first year student told us that they were probably going to get a whole month for summer.

I think it is a really good option, and as Natatia said, it helps fight burnout. If I were you, I would definitely put VCOM on my list for next year!

Hope that helps a little. If I missed anything, someone please correct me. Below is a link for the VCOM curriculum. It might give you a better idea of what to expect.

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/resource/curriculum.html

Yeah, blocks are anywhere between 1-4 months long each. Our next block (block 3: neuro) is supposed to be the worst and biggest block we'll have. It's going to start Jan 5th and it goes until May! Yikes.... BUT we get a 2 week break in the middle (go go Guatemala!).

So, basic idea of blocks: 5-6 per year going system by system (blood/lymph, neuro, cardio, pulm, etc)... shorter, but more frequent breaks. We got 1 week in between Block 1 and 2. We're going to have 2 weeks for Christmas.

How do I like it? Great, so far! By the end of block 2 (blood/lymph), I really feel like everything has been hammered into my head deeply enough to retain it...

Just accepted my seat at VCOM! Excited to come down there and meet everyone. Congrats to all who got accepted as well. I am going to start looking for places to live sometime just wondering if anyone has suggestions on places???

I regret to say that I am cancelling my January 6 interview. I was accepted to my top choice school, and I highly considered VCOM, but frankly 6 interviews burned me out. I know this school is awesome, and it's a difficult decision, but someone else deserves a chance at this great school. Good luck everyone :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just accepted my seat at VCOM! Excited to come down there and meet everyone. Congrats to all who got accepted as well. I am going to start looking for places to live sometime just wondering if anyone has suggestions on places???
I live in Fox Ridge... biggest apartment complex in Blacksburg. I probably would have picked something like Knollwood or The Crossing at Knollwood(right across the street from VCOM), but they wouldn't take our somewhat large dog. Also, if you live in Christiansburg, you get to use the Christiansburg Rec Center for free which is pretty nice.

Christiansburg tends to be a little cheaper and a little less collegey. Blacksburg has more options.

When you come to accepted students day, you'll get a lot of brochers about the different places. If you have any more questions, let me know!

Rcv'd Interview Invite Yesterday around 330pm.

Any suggestions anyone??

Scheduled for Jan 22. Another interview in Tennessee 3 days later

Anyone else scheduled that day??

Am I ok interviewing this late in the application cycle??

Sorry so many questions but jst curious:oops:
Congratulations on the interview invite. The interviews are pretty laid back. Of the three interview I had, two of them were just conversations. They just asked me questions about my AACOMAS and secondary application. So, you should definitely know your applications very well and be able to elaborate on your experiences. Also, be able to explain any weaknesses in your application. I don't know how many seats they have left, but I still think you are not too late. Also, definitely check out the interview feedback page here:

http://more.studentdoctor.net/schoollist.php?type=1

I'll be attending VCOM next year Class 2013...I'm from the west coast and wanted to know if there are any students from out here that will also be making the move to Blacksburg?

Congratulations on the interview invite. The interviews are pretty laid back. Of the three interview I had, two of them were just conversations. They just asked me questions about my AACOMAS and secondary application. So, you should definitely know your applications very well and be able to elaborate on your experiences. Also, be able to explain any weaknesses in your application. I don't know how many seats they have left, but I still think you are not too late. Also, definitely check out the interview feedback page here:

http://more.studentdoctor.net/schoollist.php?type=1

Thanks for the info Spooner 13. I see that you are from Tennessee. Did you happen to interview at any of those state schools there?

when do people usually start looking for apartments? in gainesville everyone has a place by the end of january and my mom keeps bugging me about looking for a place.lol

Thanks for the info Spooner 13. I see that you are from Tennessee. Did you happen to interview at any of those state schools there?

I am supposed to have an interview at LMU-DCOM on Jan 13, and I just sent my secondary for Quillen in about 3 weeks ago. However, I think I like VCOM better than both of those, so I'll probably withdraw those applications. What about you? Which TN school are you interviewing at?

I am supposed to have an interview at LMU-DCOM on Jan 13, and I just sent my secondary for Quillen in about 3 weeks ago. However, I think I like VCOM better than both of those, so I'll probably withdraw those applications. What about you? Which TN school are you interviewing at?

I interviewed at LMU-DCOM and was accepted in October, and my mother is on faculty at ETSU - Quillen. Both schools are awesome, but I really felt better at VCOM. Quillen is a good school, but they have nowhere near the resources that VCOM or DCOM have (as far as facilities - their faculty is just as good, though).

I'm a current first year at VCOM and I just wanted to respond to questions regarding research opportunities here.

First a disclaimer on my standpoint - my interest in research stems both from a simple interest in research as well as acknowledging that research is an important part of my resume if I decide to pursue a competitive residency specialty such as surgery, etc. In that case, the research that I'm looking to participate in at VCOM is clinical research in the possible field of my interest, and in that way I feel that VCOM is lacking. Sure there may be basic science research opportunities available (I haven't looked) but from what I've read and anecdotally been told, residency directors will be looking for clinical research in that specific field, not how I contributed to biochemistry-based research on fruit flies.

One SDN member has mentioned the DO/PhD program with VT - keep in mind that the DO/PhD program is in Public Health and focuses on International Missions - not basic science or clinical research. Sure there may be more opportunities in the future, and maybe individual agreements that can be arranged that I don't know about... but also keep in mind that the new Carilion-VT medical school (not sure on opening date - and note, our administration glares at us whenever we start to mention it) will focus primarily in research, so that will likely mean more competition for those research positions that may exist.

And as for the summer being brief - YES it has been a hindrance in looking for summer research opportunities. Most summer research programs that I've seen, such as NIH, require at least an 8 week commitment. A couple of my classmates and I have individually approached the administration about the possibility of returning to school a couple weeks late, or any other flexibility to allow us to do this research, and the response we received was that no, there is no flexibility on the end-date and start-date for classes, we should inquire and attempt to negotiate with the PIs to let us do 6 of the 8 weeks on-site there, and then remotely finish the 2 weeks here while at school.

And so I'm fair, I think VCOM does have research highlights - particularly the sports medicine department and parasitology (though I'm unsure about the number of opportunities for med student involvement).

If it was really important to me, say number 2 on my wish list for med schools, to do summer research - I'd either be prepared to do alot of extra leg work to find opportunities, or I'd go somewhere else for my med school education.

Hope this is helpful insight that doesn't dissuade you too much from coming here - just trying to give you one realistic view.

but also keep in mind that the new Carilion-VT medical school (not sure on opening date - and note, our administration glares at us whenever we start to mention it) will focus primarily in research, so that will likely mean more competition for those research positions that may exist.

. . .

And so I'm fair, I think VCOM does have research highlights - particularly the sports medicine department and parasitology (though I'm unsure about the number of opportunities for med student involvement).

I would think that having the new Carilion-VT research med school will give us more opportunities for research.

I don't know anything about parasitology research is, but the sports med department does have a few opportunities for med students with more on the horizon (with the new building).

I interviewed at LMU-DCOM and was accepted in October, and my mother is on faculty at ETSU - Quillen. Both schools are awesome, but I really felt better at VCOM. Quillen is a good school, but they have nowhere near the resources that VCOM or DCOM have (as far as facilities - their faculty is just as good, though).

I agree. Quillen does some things really well, but overall, VCOM (in my opinion) can provide a much better medical education. Also, I think that LMU has the potential to be a great school, but as it stands today, I really do think that vcom has the edge over lmu as well.

I'm a current first year at VCOM and I just wanted to respond to questions regarding research opportunities here.

First a disclaimer on my standpoint - my interest in research stems both from a simple interest in research as well as acknowledging that research is an important part of my resume if I decide to pursue a competitive residency specialty such as surgery, etc. In that case, the research that I'm looking to participate in at VCOM is clinical research in the possible field of my interest, and in that way I feel that VCOM is lacking. Sure there may be basic science research opportunities available (I haven't looked) but from what I've read and anecdotally been told, residency directors will be looking for clinical research in that specific field, not how I contributed to biochemistry-based research on fruit flies.

One SDN member has mentioned the DO/PhD program with VT - keep in mind that the DO/PhD program is in Public Health and focuses on International Missions - not basic science or clinical research. Sure there may be more opportunities in the future, and maybe individual agreements that can be arranged that I don't know about... but also keep in mind that the new Carilion-VT medical school (not sure on opening date - and note, our administration glares at us whenever we start to mention it) will focus primarily in research, so that will likely mean more competition for those research positions that may exist.

And as for the summer being brief - YES it has been a hindrance in looking for summer research opportunities. Most summer research programs that I've seen, such as NIH, require at least an 8 week commitment. A couple of my classmates and I have individually approached the administration about the possibility of returning to school a couple weeks late, or any other flexibility to allow us to do this research, and the response we received was that no, there is no flexibility on the end-date and start-date for classes, we should inquire and attempt to negotiate with the PIs to let us do 6 of the 8 weeks on-site there, and then remotely finish the 2 weeks here while at school.

If it was really important to me, say number 2 on my wish list for med schools, to do summer research - I'd either be prepared to do alot of extra leg work to find opportunities, or I'd go somewhere else for my med school education.

Hope this is helpful insight that doesn't dissuade you too much from coming here - just trying to give you one realistic view.

Thanks for your honest opinion. I really do appreciate it. I'm going to try to find a way to gain some descent research experience at vcom because I really like this school. A summer research project is not necessarily what I'm looking for. That would just be a good way to do research and not have it interrupt my regular studies. Also, I was talking to a physician in the specialty that I am interested in, and I asked her if I should do research in med school. She said that I should. That it didn't have to be anything special. If I helped out on a project over a summer or something similar, that would suffice. So it sounds like I should just do some basic science research and not necessarily a clinical study. Do you think I would be able to do this? Simpleman and Natatia have said that I could get matched up with a PhD and work on their projects. That sounds like a pretty good option. What do you think?

Thanks

Thanks for your honest opinion. I really do appreciate it. I'm going to try to find a way to gain some descent research experience at vcom because I really like this school. A summer research project is not necessarily what I'm looking for. That would just be a good way to do research and not have it interrupt my regular studies. Also, I was talking to a physician in the specialty that I am interested in, and I asked her if I should do research in med school. She said that I should. That it didn't have to be anything special. If I helped out on a project over a summer or something similar, that would suffice. So it sounds like I should just do some basic science research and not necessarily a clinical study. Do you think I would be able to do this? Simpleman and Natatia have said that I could get matched up with a PhD and work on their projects. That sounds like a pretty good option. What do you think?

Thanks

That would be my general suggestion also, for any school. I do have a handful of friends currently participating in research during the school year here at VCOM, and they're assisting in OMM research with the sports medicine faculty. The rest of my small group is still focusing right now on excelling in the classes alone ;)

hello,
i don't really know where this fits, still too new here to navigate efficiently: however, I just wanted to express how excited i am for this agreement (Eastern Mennonite University Enters Med School Admissions Agreement with Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine) to happen because i am entering into Eastern in August, they have a pre-osteo program, and being a non-traditional student, i need all the one-ups i can get. i really want to go to VCOM and have not even considered another school. I have already been in contact with them twice (Megan has been so kind to me despite my annoying energy) and i am invited to come to tour the school with candidates in April. I read this thread often to try and stay on top of what is to be expected of me. i just simply want to get started..now! if you can imagine a horse behind the gate awaiting the race to start...that would be meeee!

They agree to accept up to 10 qualified students...i will be one of them, no DOUBT!

thanks for listening, whippee!

Keep your eyes on the prize, But your feet on the ground........

Good luck in your undergrad studies! Hope you get into VCOM when the time comes.:)

I'll be attending VCOM next year Class 2013...I'm from the west coast and wanted to know if there are any students from out here that will also be making the move to Blacksburg?

I will be making the same trek...still working on all of the logistics though... it's going to be quite a change.

Hey everyone, I received an interview invitation to VCOM a few days ago for Jan 26th. I'm really excited about checking out the school, I've heard nothing but good things about VCOM.

Hey everyone, I received an interview invitation to VCOM a few days ago for Jan 26th. I'm really excited about checking out the school, I've heard nothing but good things about VCOM.

Congratulations bioman. I think you'll love the school. Everyone there is incredibly nice.

I recieved an interview invite for Jan. 26th too! Can any current students give me some ideas for things to do or see in blacksburg during my visit? Is the town easy to navigate through?

Is there a way to find some second year (or first year) students that are moving out of places that would accommodate a spouse and a dog? My wife wants to fly out again and look for housing and I think that it would be possible to find some places that current students give :thumbup::thumbup:.

I am looking for a 2-3 bedroom place with a decent landlord close to VCOM so I could preferably ride or walk. Appartments are fine as well.

~Thanks for any help.

I will be interviewing this monday, wish me luck. I really want to go here. Anyone else inerviewing with me on monday? If so good luck and I will see you there!

Back from the interview and I have to say VCOM is a great school. I really hope that I get accepted here and they said the committee meets thursday so I will get a call if I'm in. For those that did interview here did any of you write thank you notes or maybe even thank you emails? I was wondering because if I sent a thank you note through the mail it would not make it there in time for thursday. What do you guys think?

I sent thank you emails after I was accepted. My theory was this, I did not feel that a note from me would make or break me on their decision but I did want them to know that I was thankful for the opportunity. Hope this helps

Thanks for the response docman, that information helps. I was just curious if when the interviewers were handing out their cards that they were expecting us to contact them, but I am probably just overthinking this. btw, congratulations on your acceptance!

I was wondering the same thing, but when they said that they meet in two days i felt that wasn't enough time to mail them in. I received the acceptance call and never sent thank you notes ... honestly it can't hurt though!

Hello to everyone. I have been lurking around SDN religiously for months now, however, this is my first time posting. I am a non-trad finishing my B.S. in Biomedical Sciences. Possibly pursuing Navy medicine through HPSP or post-residency depending on financial aid options.
During the last four years I have been researching medical schools near and far and VCOM is by far the best-fit school for me. I have fallen in love with the school and the locale and I am thrilled that I may have an opportunity to join you in the class of 2013! My file is complete as of today and I should receive their decision about an interview within the next few weeks. I know it is late in the process but I remain hopeful. Best wishes and good luck to those of you awaiting interviews and acceptance notices. I hope to meet you all soon.
Thank you moderators and posters for the many excellent posts and answers to questions many of us pre-meds share during this process. This site is a real blessing.

Hello to everyone. I have been lurking around SDN religiously for months now, however, this is my first time posting. I am a non-trad finishing my B.S. in Biomedical Sciences. Possibly pursuing Navy medicine through HPSP or post-residency depending on financial aid options.
During the last four years I have been researching medical schools near and far and VCOM is by far the best-fit school for me. I have fallen in love with the school and the locale and I am thrilled that I may have an opportunity to join you in the class of 2013! My file is complete as of today and I should receive their decision about an interview within the next few weeks. I know it is late in the process but I remain hopeful. Best wishes and good luck to those of you awaiting interviews and acceptance notices. I hope to meet you all soon.
Thank you moderators and posters for the many excellent posts and answers to questions many of us pre-meds share during this process. This site is a real blessing.

Hey earthtrekker. I'm glad you posted, and I really hope you get an interview soon! If you do, you should try to tell them exactly what you told us. Let them know that you really want to go to VCOM. Good luck!

I am MSII in the NAVY HPSP...if you have any questions, I can answer them and guide you in the right direction if interested. The US Navy has been treating me very well and i am very content to be a member of the Sea :D

For everyone else, i received alot of private messages and replied to the best of my abilities. There are some that didnt receive a response back; that was due me being away from the computer during the holidays and I solely apologize for not replying back to you in a timely fashion. PM me and i will do my best to help and guide your decision in joining this awesome school. VCOM is the bomb... :thumbup::thumbup::D

I've been looking at apartments and I think The Mill looks like a good deal. Any current students have an opinion on it?

I am MSII in the NAVY HPSP...if you have any questions, I can answer them and guide you in the right direction if interested. The US Navy has been treating me very well and i am very content to be a member of the Sea :D

For everyone else, i received alot of private messages and replied to the best of my abilities. There are some that didnt receive a response back; that was due me being away from the computer during the holidays and I solely apologize for not replying back to you in a timely fashion. PM me and i will do my best to help and guide your decision in joining this awesome school. VCOM is the bomb... :thumbup::thumbup::D
Thanks Simpleman. I will be sure to get in touch when have more questions that haven't already been answered on SDN.

Back from the interview and I have to say VCOM is a great school. I really hope that I get accepted here and they said the committee meets thursday so I will get a call if I'm in. For those that did interview here did any of you write thank you notes or maybe even thank you emails? I was wondering because if I sent a thank you note through the mail it would not make it there in time for thursday. What do you guys think?

Interviewed on the 7th and supposed to hear back today also! :xf:

All accepted students at VCOM please join the VCOM class of 2013 facebook group.

Status
Not open for further replies.