VCOM-Blacksburg Discussion Thread 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a call from VCOM tonight at 6:20. Interviewing on 10/13! :D

Same here! Got the call around 5.. caught me by surprise. See you guys on the 13th!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
Congrats on the interviews. I am a first year at VCOM. If you guys have any questions don't hesitate to PM me. It's not a very tough week for us next week maybe I can answer some questions. You guys will have a great experience!

Just completed the secondary to VCOM - Blacksburg... whew! It was massive compared to some others.

Looking forward to the next step :love:

Norfolk, VA....

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that have been interviewed or would otherwise know:

Are interview invites being given only by phone? :confused:

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
I just got an e-mail from Mr. Corvin that my application has been placed on hold after reviewing for an interview. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, have you sent in supporting documents or just waited it out? Also, any idea on the timeline for when they will review again?

Although I have gotten into my top choice school, I wanted to at least check out VCOM before accepting there since I am a Virginia resident and I liked what I saw at the open house. Always good to have options, right?

For those that have been interviewed or would otherwise know:

Are interview invites being given only by phone? :confused:

All invites are by phone. They called me and everyone else that interviewed the day I interviewed.

Not sure if it's the same, but I just got off hold for VCOM-Spartanburg. I didn't send in any documents. It took about a month between the time I was originally placed on hold and getting the interview call.

Not sure if it's the same, but I just got off hold for VCOM-Spartanburg. I didn't send in any documents. It took about a month between the time I was originally placed on hold and getting the interview call.
Thanks Erica! That's exactly the information I needed...hmm...now to make a decision haha.
Good luck this cycle!
~Tarun

Thanks Erica! That's exactly the information I needed...hmm...now to make a decision haha.
Good luck this cycle!
~Tarun

Hey I am a first year here at VCOM and my application was put on hold initially as well when I applied (in early September). In the meantime I interviewed at PCOM in Philly and was already to go there, and VCOM called me in March for an interview. I decided to come for the interview, and I am so happy I did because I love it here. I liked PCOM, but I think VCOM was better fit for me personally. I was waitlisted and given an early acceptance for 2014. I did not send in any documents or anything (probably because I had an acceptance elsewhere). I don't know if this helps or not. I would suggest documents if you are really interested though. Good luck and congrats on your other acceptance!

Hey I am a first year here at VCOM and my application was put on hold initially as well when I applied (in early September). In the meantime I interviewed at PCOM in Philly and was already to go there, and VCOM called me in March for an interview. I decided to come for the interview, and I am so happy I did because I love it here. I liked PCOM, but I think VCOM was better fit for me personally. I was waitlisted and given an early acceptance for 2014. I did not send in any documents or anything (probably because I had an acceptance elsewhere). I don't know if this helps or not. I would suggest documents if you are really interested though. Good luck and congrats on your other acceptance!

Thanks Danaling! Yeah, you know the students at VCOM that I met during the open house seem really genuine, you guys are great! I might just send my deposit and then at the worst i'll just lose 1500 bucks, which is like a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of a medical edu! Still waiting on WVSOM decision as well...

Good luck everyone on the first round of acceptances tomorrow. I know I have my fingers crossed!

If anyone hears from vcom today regarding accteptances, or the unfortunate latter, please post asap. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to VCOM in August! I did early decision (anybody else who interviewed in our group out there?) so its kind of old news--they get back to you very quickly. Just made an account with SDN though I've been using it since undergrad and I thought this forum would be a good choice for a first post :) Good luck to all who are waiting to hear--let me know if you have questions.

I was not on the early admission track and was accepted today. The call came around 2:55 EST. Good luck to those who are still waiting :)

they wouldnt take one of my letters from a neuroscience prof that all the other schools accepted :mad: but a replacement went in today...the wait begins :xf:

just an FYI, one of my interviewers said all the technology should be updated at VCOM for next year to keep up with the new stuff at the Carolina Campus.

Interviewed 10/4, got the acceptance call 10/14. UT resident...

I was invited for an interview today for mid-November!! Looking forward to checking out the school. I am out of state.

what specifically is frustrating your friends about the schedule?

It is unfortunate to hear that you had a bad experience at VCOM. My interview day was quite the opposite. I interviewed in February for the c/o 2014 but was offered a spot for next year's class. Everyone involved in the day was enthuisiastic about the program and had a ton of information to share. They were very up front about the curriculum changes that were taking place and in speaking with students it has gotten better and better with each year. I would not expect anything different from a relatively new program other than currciculum changes. It is done so that each year the board scores and schedules of each class improve and continue to do so. As far as the interviewers go, having interviewed at other schools you should know what to expect.
Saying that they already had you in the reject pile hints as to what kind of interview you conducted. It is your job as a student to present yourself in such a way as to convince your interviewer that you will be an asset as a future alumnus of their program. During the interview season I met all sorts of personalities each with their own interview style and questioning (intimidation, moral/ethics, conversational, etc.) For anyone who is preparing to interview or contemplating it, I would highly reccomend mock interviews with a faculty or friend.
Not trying to harp here, I am glad you found a school that you enjoy and will be happy attending. Everyone has a different experience at programs during interviews which ultimately helps to develop a diverse class and enrich the experience of medical school. best of luck to everyone with interviews!

I got the phone call for the interview invite for 11/15 yesterday and I was wondering where people stayed and flew into and if anyone else is interviewing the same day!

3 interviews sounds kind of intense, are they just with one interviewer each time?

the interviews are not intense. very conversational.

I just wanted to share with you all some of my feelings and my opinions regarding VCOM. Before, interview day, I was really excited and VCOM was my first choice. After interview day, everything changed around....

1. Admissions director did not seemed enthusiastic at all...the only person that was enthusiastic was Julianna
2. Interview 1: interviewer seemed stern and spoke only once or twice but asked many questions that made it apparent that I was in the reject pile...the interviewer also completely bashed the school's curriculum
3. Interview 2: Complete interrogation. Questions were read off of a list and the interviewer did not say a word...again some questions asked made it apparent that I was in the reject pile
4. Interview 3: this one was great...conversational with a few questions
5. The tour of the building was a total disaster...the first year who gave the tour did not even know how to give a tour...the tour literally took 3 mins...."this is the lecture hall, and this is the anatomy lab".....
6. Lunch was good and so was the conversation withe the first and second year students

So after the interview, I contacted some of my friends who do attend VCOM and it seems like they are really frustrated with the schedule changes and said that they would recommend that I attend another DO school instead.

So, literally the next day after my interview, I got the REJECT e-mail...I knew this was going to happen just by the way the interviewers were questioning me....The thing that is making me mad is not the fact that they rejected me but the fact that they invited me for an interview when they had already decided that they were going to reject me....A lot of students in the past have gone through a similar situtation where the school decides beforehand but still invites you for an interview....

Anyways, I already have an acceptance despite my low MCAT scores because that school saw me as a person with the qualities required to make a great physician....

For all those SDNers out there who are having trouble getting into med school, my advice is to keep trying because there will be a school that will see you beyond your numbers :)

VCOM has one of the lower average MCAT scores, because they do see beyond the numbers. I know of two people there from my undergrad school with 18s on it.

Congrats ilmdoc!

I just got the phonecall today as well. Accepted :) The decisions for choosing schools just got so much harder.

I am applying late. App is already verified, they should get it today or next Wednesday. What do you think my chances are? I'm 23 have been a nurse for 4 years, and a CNA for 3 before that. MCAT 25O, GPA 3.47. Colorado resident. Thoughts?

your stats are fine but the fact that you're very late for VCOM and you're not from the appalachian region hurts. last year vcom's class was filled by january.

Interviewed the 18th of oct. Got a phone call today with an acceptance!!! Good luck to everyone else!

I just wanted to share with you all some of my feelings and my opinions regarding VCOM. Before, interview day, I was really excited and VCOM was my first choice. After interview day, everything changed around....

1. Admissions director did not seemed enthusiastic at all...the only person that was enthusiastic was Julianna
2. Interview 1: interviewer seemed stern and spoke only once or twice but asked many questions that made it apparent that I was in the reject pile...the interviewer also completely bashed the school's curriculum
3. Interview 2: Complete interrogation. Questions were read off of a list and the interviewer did not say a word...again some questions asked made it apparent that I was in the reject pile
4. Interview 3: this one was great...conversational with a few questions
5. The tour of the building was a total disaster...the first year who gave the tour did not even know how to give a tour...the tour literally took 3 mins...."this is the lecture hall, and this is the anatomy lab".....
6. Lunch was good and so was the conversation withe the first and second year students

So after the interview, I contacted some of my friends who do attend VCOM and it seems like they are really frustrated with the schedule changes and said that they would recommend that I attend another DO school instead.

So, literally the next day after my interview, I got the REJECT e-mail...I knew this was going to happen just by the way the interviewers were questioning me....The thing that is making me mad is not the fact that they rejected me but the fact that they invited me for an interview when they had already decided that they were going to reject me....A lot of students in the past have gone through a similar situtation where the school decides beforehand but still invites you for an interview....

Anyways, I already have an acceptance despite my low MCAT scores because that school saw me as a person with the qualities required to make a great physician....

For all those SDNers out there who are having trouble getting into med school, my advice is to keep trying because there will be a school that will see you beyond your numbers :)

vcom is definitely a school that sees beyond numbers. they look at the whole person. and on interview days, interviewers will ask hard questions and be stern to see how you respond during pressure. this happens at every medical school. i highly doubt they gave you an interview when they already knew they were going to reject you. why would they waste their time then? there are thousands of other applicants. sorry you didn't like vcom or have a good interview day. my interview day was amazing! i had conversational interviews and stern, questioning, difficult interviews. it's med school, that's to be expected.

congrats to those of you that got in to vcom! class of 2015! whoop! lol. search facebook for the VCOM - Virginia Class of 2015 and join. great way to get to know your future classmates! :)

I, too, interviewed on 18 October and was notified of my acceptance on 21 October. Congratulations to everyone who has been and will be accepted!

Hello everyone...I have a few questions regarding the interview. What time are most people done with their interviews and tour... Is it possible to be back at the airport in Roanoke for a 5:39 flight? I am OOS and wondering if most rent a car or how to get to Blacksburg from Roanoke. If you did not rent a car where did you put your luggage during the interview? Thanks in adavance.

Hello everyone...I have a few questions regarding the interview. What time are most people done with their interviews and tour... Is it possible to be back at the airport in Roanoke for a 5:39 flight? I am OOS and wondering if most rent a car or how to get to Blacksburg from Roanoke. If you did not rent a car where did you put your luggage during the interview? Thanks in adavance.

when i interviewed, we were finished by 3pm. so i think you would have enough time to get back to roanoke. also, the last part of the interview is driving you around blacksburg looking at apartments so you dont really have to go on that if youre not interested or dont have tiem.

Just received the phone call for an interview! :) So happy! I'm interviewing on December 1st. Anyone else going that day?

Just received the phone call for an interview! :) So happy! I'm interviewing on December 1st. Anyone else going that day?

Congrats!! I just got my interview invite today too! Yayy!! :) I picked Nov. 9th. I'm super excited!

congrats!!! you guys will fall in love with VCOM at interview day, at least i did! :) good luck!

I am interviewing at VCOM on 11/15 and wondering if anyone else was! If so, let me know if you'd like to meet up for dinner or anything, and if anyone is flying in to Roanoke on 11/13 and driving, I'd pitch in for gas for a ride! Please PM me!