Using DPM for Non-Podiatry Stuff!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalluxSlicer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

I am a 4th year pod student with clinical rotations and externships underway. As I am actively involved in podiatric clinic and OR surgeries, I've realized that it does not give me the excitement of being in healthcare nor the satisfaction I have thought of. Instead, rotating as well as interacting with other services such as Emergency Medicine, Anesthesiology, and even Pathology has sparked my interest! I am super excited of this discovery and would like to pursue these specialty instead. Plus, I feel like I shine as a student in all non-podiatry services and actually struggle with pimps as well as pathologies in podiatry.

So my question is, do any of you here on the forum have ideas how I can apply to residencies or even specialty services outside of Podiatry? Any help would be super duper appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Your only options would be to pursue another degree/career. The DPM degree is worthless outside of the clinical setting of being a podiatrist. The good news to look forward to is that you WILL be referred to as DOCTOR…
Example: “I need you to trim a bit more and smooth that corner down a bit more, doctor”

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
At year 4, you're basically married to this degree. You can flirt with EM and Path but leaving your marriage at this stage will be too costly.

Sorry.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure this is a troll post.

Unless a DPM gets all the way thru DPM school and doesnt realise its not the same as MD/DO upon graduation.

Go to PA school if it isnt a troll. Then you can work in ER in 2 years time.

Not a troll post based on history of previous replies. Just extremely out of touch.

There are a few problems with your idea Halluxslicer.

1) You are a student right now rotating through other departments. You have zero responsibilities and little to no repercussions if something were to go wrong. It is different when you are a resident- podiatry or not. The things they do have outcomes that directly affect their patients, colleagues, and bosses. You get to bounce out without seeing any of those outcomes- good or bad.

2) You are only there temporarily. You are on a field trip. When you leave, the people in those departments will still be doing their specialty and their job 24/7. Do the same thing for 3 years and it will eventually become dull. You have rose colored glasses on right now. Enjoy it for what it is, but don't confuse a field trip with your actual job.

3) Switching to another US MD/DO specialty with a DPM degree is impossible. The board exams and even credit hours are not equivalent/interchangeable.

I cannot fathom how you do not understand this after having completed an SMP at a DO school and are already 4 years into your DPM degree.

Reactions: 8 users
So my question is, do any of you here on the forum have ideas how I can apply to residencies or even specialty services outside of Podiatry?

I do. Start all over again and go to medical school.

Or PA school like DYK said

Once again, people aren’t paying attention to the SDN OGs when they repeatedly post about the limited use of a DPM degree. It’s nearly useless outside of practicing podiatry. That’s all you’ll ever be able to do with it and even the non clinical applications still generally require years of practice experience first.

All of this is to say…have fun being a podiatrist OP

Get your DPM degree then go to PA school, then you can call yourself a doctor AND make more than most DPM associates in a couple years. Best of both worlds! Joking (kinda)

I'm giving it two to 3 years after residency to see how my life turns out. After that if it's still pure crap, I'm getting an NP and leaving Pod. I feel like I owe it to myself to at least try because I came so far and invested so much into this process.

I regret my decision daily because of the ROI and other things that we've talked about and beat to death.

But I can't say I don't like the actual work. I enjoy about 90% of what we do but I'm sure that will change as time goes on but I can't say I don't like anything podiatry related.

Reactions: 3 users
The ship has probably sailed on most of those other fields.

Depending on where you go for your 4th year your perception of podiatry will be highly variable. I definitely went on some rotations that made me want to kill myself. Some of them unfortunately also prepared me for clinical practice. Hopefully your residency will give you some degree of satisfaction though hilariously I'm now questioning almost everything I learned from mine.

I gave it 2 whole hours and @air bud still hasn't meme'd this. I expected better.

• Haha
Agree with all of the above. Would suggest looking into Anesthesiology Assistants if you're in a state where they can practice.
Just looked up some stats about the AA route...holy cow do I wish I knew about this in college

Hi everyone!!

I am a 4th year pod student with clinical rotations and externships underway. As I am actively involved in podiatric clinic and OR surgeries, I've realized that it does not give me the excitement of being in healthcare nor the satisfaction I have thought of. Instead, rotating as well as interacting with other services such as Emergency Medicine, Anesthesiology, and even Pathology has sparked my interest! I am super excited of this discovery and would like to pursue these specialty instead. Plus, I feel like I shine as a student in all non-podiatry services and actually struggle with pimps as well as pathologies in podiatry.

So my question is, do any of you here on the forum have ideas how I can apply to residencies or even specialty services outside of Podiatry? Any help would be super duper appreciated!
Look into getting another degree. I think like others said, PA school after finishing up your DPM program might be a good idea.

Look into getting another degree. I think like others said, PA school after finishing up your DPM program might be a good idea.

Maybe it’s a terrible idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what the max student loans is nowadays, but usually a DPM 4yrs + living expenses comes very close.
If you are at avg level for a pms-4, it'd be hard to find financing for any other degree without private loans.
That's not to mention a lot of pod students would not get accepted into PA or CRNA, etc.

That is the pro/con of DPM, Pharma, optometry, PT, chiro, etc... you know what you're getting into via shadowing (hopefully), but you can't pivot like RN (anytime) or even MD/DO can (easily pre-residency, not so easy but still possible post-residency).

As mentioned again and again, you typically won't get any meaningful advanced standing credit transfer and def can't use DPM to match to MD/DO residency. You might be able to use a bit for RN or PA pre-reqs, but that's doubtful.

...Weirdy hit it in that OP is just falling for the new rotation energy. Everything seems ok for awhile. It's easy to have a couple good dates with an new person when they show their best self and you show yours. It's harder to sustain awhile... even harder to live together (successfully). In medicine, it's not as if ER docs love drunks or gen surgeons love b-holes or derms fantasize about cystic acne. All specialties have their drags and pathologies that get boring AF. There are pros and cons to each specialty.

Given the investment of time so far as a pms-4, it'd be worth it to finish out DPM and get good residency (if you are in position to) and see if you like it. Podiatry can be anything from ortho group to bread-n-butter to mostly wound care to nursing home nail care. If you didn't do much/any shadowing and truly didn't know what the job entails for most DPMs day-to-day (like the "I've always hated bunions bunions" lady), then I don't know what to tell ya. I will tell you that you probably won't make 100k+ doing non-podiatry without going back to school for a long while, and you might not qualify for any more loans (possibly associate degree RN... which seldom makes 6 fig). Good luck.

As many have said the ship has sailed. The truth is you’re seeing these fields from an outsider perspective. Of course it seems cool. What you don’t see on those student rotations like Emergency, Ortho, gen surg etc are dealing with your own patients dying, sometimes from your error, severely rigorous training, long hours and overnight call (like having to do a life saving surgery at 3am type of call not lopping off a toe while half asleep).

If I was in your position I’d continue on with podiatry and embrace it. Don’t get caught up in the razzle dazzle of the off service rotations. Too many students and residents get hooked into that and their podiatric skills fall by the wayside. It’s not real.

Maybe surgery isn’t your thing. That’s fine. There’s still interesting stuff that can be done non surgical like sports medicine stuff, injections, minor procedures, etc. (I know Pronation is about to quote this and talk about nails).

Others have suggested NP or PA, that is still easier said than done. GPA req for PA schools is higher than that of podiatry. It is more competitive. For an NP, you need to become and then work as a nurse first. You’ll do an LOT of stuff you definitely WONT enjoy while getting your clinical experience as a nurse. Either path will be a few years out of your life realistically, and while cheaper than pod school still expensive.

Ultimately, it’s a job. Plenty of podiatrists don’t like podiatry but still practice to earn a living. You can hate podiatry but still enjoy helping your patients and still be good at it. It doesn’t make you who you are. It’s not your identity. You can enjoy life outside of work. Plus, it’s sorta weird if you like feet a bit too much anyways.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I truly appreciate all of your sentiments. I have tried contacting local DO programs (including the ones previously that had a DPM to DO bridge program) but the responses all were the same; apply traditionally and start from 0 with NO advanced standing nor transfer... Go figure.

I have tried my best to appreciate Podiatry throughout 3rd and 4th year but honestly, I just cannot see myself practicing as well as staying in this profession for long because I just have no self intrinsic motivation nor excitement of doing podiatry. I did not feel the gratification of making a difference in patients' life compared to being on the other services. Plus seeing all the ABFAS vs ABPM drama, limitation of scope, poor compensation compared to other specialties, over saturation, employment difficulties post residency, and other items discussed on this forum is very real and makes me regret pursuing this field. I get very depressed and sad that I am "stuck" in this profession where honestly any providers can diagnose / see patients for all of the pathologies we encounter in clinic (surgery is something podiatry excels on but again, I'm really not too interested). I wake up every day with dread going to these externships and am so fatigued from massive impostor syndrome of trying my best to pretend to show interest towards these externship sites in effort to advance to the 3 year long residency after graduation. I have sought therapy for this, which has helped but I still get discouraged nonetheless.

With that being said and don't get me wrong, I have seen great stuff done by Podiatrists. I believe this profession is needed to treat the often overlooked population of diabetics, foot infections, trauma, etc. After all, we need our feet to function on the daily. As for me, I just cannot fall in love with this profession. I have done so much to come to this point and although I have thought about NP or even PA, I just am burnout from education and with the amount of educational debt I am carrying, I do not have the motivation nor desire to push on.

I apologize for coming off as a pessimist, whiny little [enter B word here] but that is the reality for me and you'd be surprised to know that there are numbers of us struggling with this in Podiatry Schools.

• Sad
I truly appreciate all of your sentiments. I have tried contacting local DO programs (including the ones previously that had a DPM to DO bridge program) but the responses all were the same; apply traditionally and start from 0 with NO advanced standing nor transfer... Go figure.

I have tried my best to appreciate Podiatry throughout 3rd and 4th year but honestly, I just cannot see myself practicing as well as staying in this profession for long because I just have no self intrinsic motivation nor excitement of doing podiatry. I did not feel the gratification of making a difference in patients' life compared to being on the other services. Plus seeing all the ABFAS vs ABPM drama, limitation of scope, poor compensation compared to other specialties, over saturation, employment difficulties post residency, and other items discussed on this forum is very real and makes me regret pursuing this field. I get very depressed and sad that I am "stuck" in this profession where honestly any providers can diagnose / see patients for all of the pathologies we encounter in clinic (surgery is something podiatry excels on but again, I'm really not too interested). I wake up every day with dread going to these externships and am so fatigued from massive impostor syndrome of trying my best to pretend to show interest towards these externship sites in effort to advance to the 3 year long residency after graduation. I have sought therapy for this, which has helped but I still get discouraged nonetheless.

With that being said and don't get me wrong, I have seen great stuff done by Podiatrists. I believe this profession is needed to treat the often overlooked population of diabetics, foot infections, trauma, etc. After all, we need our feet to function on the daily. As for me, I just cannot fall in love with this profession. I have done so much to come to this point and although I have thought about NP or even PA, I just am burnout from education and with the amount of educational debt I am carrying, I do not have the motivation nor desire to push on.

I apologize for coming off as a pessimist, whiny little [enter B word here] but that is the reality for me and you'd be surprised to know that there are numbers of us struggling with this in Podiatry Schools.
You sound burned out and depressed. This has happened to basically all of us at some point in our training, whether school, residency, or in practice.

You may just need a bit of time away to disconnect whether that be a vacation or a small leave. Doesn’t hurt to see about getting on meds either. They are life changers for many docs.

• Care

What is happening on these other services that you find so fulfilling?

What is happening on these other services that you find so fulfilling?
I know there’s the grass is greener effect but I found myself really liking the ED taking on all the acute cases and I guess you could say anything could be appealing at this point if you’re someone that’s in my shoes.

No I wouldn’t. Many of you were sold a bill of lies from practicing DPMs, professional organizations, and most importantly…podiatry schools.
Yep. A massive bamboozling

I just cannot see myself practicing as well as staying in this profession for long because I just have no self intrinsic motivation nor excitement of doing podiatry. I did not feel the gratification of making a difference in patients' life compared to being on the other services.

One of the really healthy things I did after finishing residency is I got a life OUTSIDE of podiatry. For me, podiatry is just work. It's a means to an end. And it's up to you to decide what that end is. We all have our passions. We can't all have prestigious academic appointments like @newfeet or be ttr fellowship directors like @Pronation. @DYK343 has duck fat ribs, @dtrack22 has skiing, @air bud has basketball, @Feli has his skirt chasing. Meanwhile, I scuttle the ocean floors for treasure/bits of food in my home in American Samoa.

The important thing to remember is you are NOT your job, so think about what you want to become.

Go read the Emergency Medicine Physicians forum. They will straight tell you that your taste of the "fast life" is a lie. For every life saved there's 100 gomers. You are there in person, but you might as well be watching a TV show about the emergency room because you aren't actually experiencing what its like to be an ED doc. Students and what not love the procedures but the docs feel the weight of the 10 people waiting to be seen. Students are almost never exposed to the true nature of the day-night sleep shift and they certaintly aren't exposed to it for years. I'm not knocking the ED - but go read my post in their forum. I literally had a patient throw their dick blood wall/supply cabinet.

I am uniquely unqualified as a podiatrist who completed a 3 day behavioral health rotation to give you advice. That said - I somewhat think you may be putting other services up on a pedestal. Podiatry is at its best when we solve problems ie. pain is gone, ulcer is closed, nail infection is resolving, bunion is straight. While we do at times find ourselves managing complicated patients - for example, adamsmasher's Medicaid TMA diabetic shoe mill, the funny thing is the simpler the issues you solve the less all of the stresses apply to you. Solve diabetic pus? Probably less interferences because no one else wants to do it. Ingrown toenails, plantar fasciitis, bunions, hammertoes - common, referred to us and unlikely to be the focus of scope of practice battles and what not. Yes, this is lobster-med, but there's something hilarious about leaning into it. When life hands you urine, make lemonade from it.

ABFAS vs ABPM. Probably irrelevant if you focus on lobster-med. That said - you heard it here first. PODIATRY DUES DEFICIT. If podiatry's application pool keeps collapsing we may actually see change in the next 4-6 years. See ABFAS talks a big game, but if there are 200 fewer graduates a year onward that means there are 200 fewer people taking their test. Those people weren't going to certify but ABFAS was happy to take their money for 7 years while they tried to qualify/cert and paid the yearly maintenance. These people were cashflow. Probably applies to all podiatry organizations but ABFAS membership is the only thing people are actually reaching for.

Scope of practice. Doesn't matter if you lobster. Someone will let you do bunions and hammertoes. Or do them in your office. No one is going to fight you over pus, plantar fasciitis, hammertoes or bunions.

I'm still down on podiatry due to crashing reimbursement, overpriced school, but you are so deep that I'd say - dig deep and try to find some scraps on the ocean floor. Don't let "putrid" SDN ruin you (that's what the Reddit people call us!) There was obviously some podiatry lie that you loved that led you to commit to podiatry originally. Find a niche. Don't think of plantar fasciitis as something you treat. Think - I am the master of plantar fasciitis. I should be the person treating all the plantar fasciitis in this area. I will offer all the modalities and all the treatments that are necessary for this problem. I'm not a crafty sales person pushing the unnecessary, I'm the person finally treating this patient after their PCP ineffectually abandoned them to a medrol dosepack and pain. I will solve their problem. And then do what it takes to be that person, that conqueror of plantar fasciitis. Same story for bunions.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
One of the really healthy things I did after finishing residency is I got a life OUTSIDE of podiatry. For me, podiatry is just work. It's a means to an end. And it's up to you to decide what that end is. We all have our passions. We can't all have prestigious academic appointments like @newfeet or be ttr fellowship directors like @Pronation. @DYK343 has duck fat ribs, @dtrack22 has skiing, @air bud has basketball, @Feli has his skirt chasing. Meanwhile, I scuttle the ocean floors for treasure/bits of food in my home in American Samoa.

The important thing to remember is you are NOT your job, so think about what you want to become.
LOL I got married. Life took over I didn’t have a choice. I would work all time if it didn’t. Everything I do is around my outside life now even taking this current job.
Hi everyone!!

You can’t. You will need to go back to Medical school or PA. You can do take ER shifts with the PA degree or change specialities with the MD degree. You would need to do it after residency if you plan to practice as a podiatrist too.

I would probably do PA for the side gigs but I am doing too much already and I am still trying to figure my goals in my current role so I can put it on paper for my boss.

Could always go to some shady offshore MD program and pay them 50k and they will transfer everything as equivalent and let you sit for the Step exams. If you’re feeling lucky might as well go roll the dice 😂

• Sad
LOL I got married. Life took over I didn’t have a choice. I would work all time if it didn’t. Everything I do is around my outside life now even taking this current job.

You can’t. You will need to go back to Medical school or PA. You can do take ER shifts with the PA degree or change specialities with the MD degree. You would need to do it after residency if you plan to practice as a podiatrist too.

I would probably do PA for the side gigs but I am doing too much already and I am still trying to figure my goals in my current role so I can put it on paper for my boss.
Oh my God... Is there a way for me to get my foot into perhaps Research & Development field? After all, I will be a physician and doctorate should allow to be involved in research or a biomedical field?

• Okay...
Oh my God... Is there a way for me to get my foot into perhaps Research & Development field? After all, I will be a physician and doctorate should allow to be involved in research or a biomedical field?
You probably would need another degree. The DPM does not make you an expert in bio medical stuff. Unless you already have a biomedical background. But it’s possible.

There are definitely some R&D opportunities in podiatry such as in the evolving field of total toenail replacement surgery.

Reactions: 2 users
Ingrown toenails, plantar fasciitis, bunions, hammertoes - common, referred to us and unlikely to be the focus of scope of practice battles and what not. Yes, this is lobster-med, but there's something hilarious about leaning into it.
Find a niche. Don't think of plantar fasciitis as something you treat. Think - I am the master of plantar fasciitis. I should be the person treating all the plantar fasciitis in this area. I will offer all the modalities and all the treatments that are necessary for this problem. I'm not a crafty sales person pushing the unnecessary, I'm the person finally treating this patient after their PCP ineffectually abandoned them to a medrol dosepack and pain. I will solve their problem. And then do what it takes to be that person, that conqueror of plantar fasciitis. Same story for bunions.
These are the basics of bread and butter podiatry that pays well and can be fulfilling. If you don't get joy from the common everyday pathology then podiatry or medicine in general is not for you. I honestly enjoy my clinic days way more than surgery. I want to fill my schedule with regular podiatry stuff like ingrown nails, heel pain, wart, capsulitis, tendonitis etc. I am not looking for any train wreck or I am not looking to be a podiatry rock star or cowboy because these is where the headache and burn out comes from.

Other day, I had a patient come in with endstage PTTD and will be a good candidate for a triple but she declined all my conservative treatment options. She won't wear the CAM boot to at least bring the swelling down, she does not want to even try a custom brace or physical therapy. I declined to do surgery on her because I can tell she will be difficult post-op with following instructions and even staying non weight bearing for 8 weeks. As a new grad, we are quick to do surgery on everyone but with more experience, we learn to be selective on surgery patients especially if it's a major recon with long healing periods.

Reactions: 7 users
You could work for wound care companies or drug companies setting up trials for their new products. This can pay quite well in certain situations.

But none of them are likely going to hire you without real world experience in wound care or treating the pathology the drug targets.

I’d love to find some cushy position on USA jobs requiring a doctorate to slide into. VA’s seem too competitive these days

You could probably be a rep, no?

You could probably be a rep, no?
Tolcylen rep for sure. This is an important medicine for total toenail replacement surgeons.

Tolcylen rep for sure. This is an important medicine for total toenail replacement surgeons.
This requires being smoking hot... but everyone knows podiatrists are good looking (just overpopulated in terms of skill demand).

Reactions: 2 users
... VA’s seem too competitive these days
If anyone leaves this comment up on their laptop screen in the doc lounge,
...they will need hearing aids after the thunderous laughter from MDs. Yet it's fairly true for DPMs. :(

group laughing GIF by South Park

• Haha

Honestly, i've been doing some research and am seriously considering doing something like this (graduate residency- mba school- consulting).

Maybe not great for people with a crapload of debt but mine should be gone by the time residency is over.

Honestly, i've been doing some research and am seriously considering doing something like this (graduate residency- mba school- consulting).

Maybe not great for people with a crapload of debt but mine should be gone by the time residency is over.
I’ve thought about doing an mba too but I’m not convince it will lead to consultant like a md with mba.

If I do an mba at this point it will because I just want one. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Let's be realistic here, the only time MBA and podiatrist go hand in hand is when a podiatrist is jamming an MBA into the sinus tarsi for treatment of talotarsal dislocation.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

It wouldn't matter. For consultants, they are all looking for people with at least a decade of experience. MBA would make absolutely no difference.

For podiatry it is essentially useless.

If you are an DPM and a MBA, cool you have a MBA figure out what to do with it, there are essentially zero uses to combine it with a DPM (that other people will value). Unless you have some direct connections where having this would be useful, this is an absurd idea. You don't just walk in and now become a person of value. They only value which you in theory you could provide is based off your podiatric knowledge...which you don't have.

I'm just gonna complete PGY-1, get the MD badge, and transfer over to another residency at an undesirable location that needs a spot filled for low level specialty like pathology or primary care n call it a day. Its disheartening knowing Caribbean MD is still worth than US trained DPM

• Hmm
I'm just gonna complete PGY-1, get the MD badge, and transfer over to another residency at an undesirable location that needs a spot filled for low level specialty like pathology or primary care n call it a day. Its disheartening knowing Caribbean MD is still worth than US trained DPM
You can't transfer from a. DPM residency to an MD DO residency

• Haha
The tricky part is getting that MD badge awarding PGY-1 spot