US trained Board certified and equivalency in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newspeak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confused regarding the path to have US boards (internal medicine and subspecialty in internal medicine boards) recognized in Canada. I emailed the royal college of physicians and the email they sent does not make sense; they asked for an exorbitant amount of fees to "assess" my training in the US. What is the difference between this step and the LMCC path (which needed the medical council of Canada to verify my residency and fellowship and medical degree?). I dont get it. If i am dual board certified, and I get the LMCC (i have done QE1 and in the process of verifying my residency and fellowship, and the QE2 has been dropped) why do I have to go through this royal college assessment? why wouldnt the LMCC be sufficient as an assessment? I dont get it. Can someone (US trained who moved to Canada) explain to me if there is a route that acknowledges my US boards without having to pay this money and have to sit for these exceptionally expensive exams (>4k a pop).
Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to take a step back--- it's really not very confusing.

The LMCC is like the USMLEs. They are basic tests required of doctors.

The RCPSC is like the American "Boards," i.e. American Board of Internal Medicine.

In several provinces you don't even need the LMCC and they will accept your USMLEs, so you probably took the QE1 for nothing.

To get recognition by the RCPSC for your U.S. training you generally have to have completed 5 years of training. So if you did IM and a fellowship, you likely qualify. Now you just have to follow their instructions to gain the certification. And yes, all of these things in Canada, like licensure, etc, are much more expensive than in the U.S.

Thank you. This makes sense.
The step that is confusing to me is that you need to verify your med school, residency, and fellowship to get the LMCC, but again they ask you to do the same with the RCPSC (to verify the residency and fellowships). This sounded redundant.
In the US, the canadian boards are accepted, but apparently one need to sit and write the canadian boards regardless of their US boards status. I emailed them asking if this means i have to take both the internal medicine and subspecialty fellowship boards, or can i just proceed directly with my subspecialty boards, but they didnt reply. this is very frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
And you will again need to verify your med school, residency, and fellowship when you apply for registration (licensure).

And again when you go through credentialing for any hospital you plan to work at.

Etc, etc.

Do you have a job lined up in Canada? Permission to work? What is your specialty?

i am a citizen. i dont have a job lined up. im in GI.
I noticed that RC does recognize physicianapply verification via share function.
can you help clarify if i can just have my GI subspecialty assessed and sit directly for it or do i have also to do IM? there is no clarification re this issue on the RC website.