Residency in Canada for Canadian USMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marsh_mallow

Reaction score
I am a Canadian citizen at a top 20 US MD school applying internal medicine for both CaRMS and NRMP this autumn, with the understanding that the CaRMS R-1 match happens before NRMP.

Are Canadian electives required? My 4th year elective schedule is already booked, so all my letters of recommendation will come from US physicians. Do I have a shot at matching in IM without Canadian electives?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to double check your assumption that the Canadian match happens before the US match. While that used to be the case, it hasn't been the case for several years. This is AFMC's way of protecting their own grads by getting rid of as much competition as possible from international applicants who are withdrawn from the CaRMS match after they match in the US.

As for need for Canadian electives, my understanding is that it is very difficult to match without them, however coming from a top US school may mitigate this. Others may be able to offer more guidance on this.

CaRMS Match Day for the upcoming cycle is March 4, 2025. NRMP Match Day is March 21, 2025. This is different from previous years. There surely isn't much added competition from the very few US applicants for the CMG stream.

An earlier CaRMS match helps keep Canadian grads in Canada, yes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. And for IMGs, they can only apply to about 10% of available CaRMS positions, and not at all to a number of specialties. They've got about a 20% statistical chance of matching in Canada vs a 60%+ statistical chance of matching in US. For this reason most CSAs apply to both NRMP and CaRMS. Having the US match before the CaRMs match eliminates a lot of competition for CMGs.

Reactions: 1 user
CaRMS Match Day for the upcoming cycle is March 4, 2025. NRMP Match Day is March 21, 2025. This is different from previous years. There surely isn't much added competition from the very few US applicants for the CMG stream.

An earlier CaRMS match helps keep Canadian grads in Canada, yes?
I can see from CaRMS website that you are correct about the 2025 CaRMS Match Day being March 4, 2025. I can't find any reference confirming NRMP Match Day is March 21, 2025. Where did you find this info?

I am a Canadian citizen at a top 20 US MD school applying internal medicine for both CaRMS and NRMP this autumn, with the understanding that the CaRMS R-1 match happens before NRMP.

Are Canadian electives required? My 4th year elective schedule is already booked, so all my letters of recommendation will come from US physicians. Do I have a shot at matching in IM without Canadian electives?

Canadian electives/aways are very beneficial. The Canadian system has no standardized exams, so imagine how weighting would be if you removed Step 2 (i.e. all shifted towards aways and research/ECs).

I have known Canadian AMGs who matched through CaRMS without electives, so it's not strictly necessary, but you're going to be on the backfoot for sure.