US Med. school, but want to work in Canada!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Potato!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I've read similiar threads on this webpage, but I'll be honest, I still don't really understand everything. I just finish my undergrad degree at a Canadian University and now I'm interested in applying to Med. Ideally, I'd like to get into a Canadian med school, but let's face it, it's not always that easy. So...

If I attend a U.S. Med school, can I come back to practise in Canada? From my research I gather there are 2 possible options:

1) Go to U.S. Med school, but do a residency in Canada. Using this method, am I involved with the first round of matching (ie. Are my chances of getting a match the same as those of med students attending Canadian Universities?) If I do this option, and I get a residency, then am I correct in assuming that to get my licenses I require no more testing/training then those attending a Canadian University?

2) Go to U.S. Med school, and complete a residency in the States. If I pursue this option, then how do I obtain a licence in Canada? I understand that I have to write the 2 qualifying parts of the MCC exam (which I would be eligible to write if I graduate from an American school). The other requirement seems to be that I need RCSPC certification. (I'm not sure if I have that accronym right, "Royal College of Surgeons and Physicians..."). Am I elegible to write those tests?

It would be great to hear from anyone who's been through this procedure before, or anyone who knows anything about it, for that matter. As I said, I am new at this, so assume I don't know the accronyms, etc. and keep it simple :D I really appreciate your input! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Potato! said:
1) Go to U.S. Med school, but do a residency in Canada. Using this method, am I involved with the first round of matching (ie. Are my chances of getting a match the same as those of med students attending Canadian Universities?) If I do this option, and I get a residency, then am I correct in assuming that to get my licenses I require no more testing/training then those attending a Canadian University?

2) Go to U.S. Med school, and complete a residency in the States. If I pursue this option, then how do I obtain a licence in Canada? I understand that I have to write the 2 qualifying parts of the MCC exam (which I would be eligible to write if I graduate from an American school). The other requirement seems to be that I need RCSPC certification. (I'm not sure if I have that accronym right, "Royal College of Surgeons and Physicians..."). Am I elegible to write those tests?

It would be great to hear from anyone who's been through this procedure before, or anyone who knows anything about it, for that matter. As I said, I am new at this, so assume I don't know the accronyms, etc. and keep it simple :D I really appreciate your input! Thanks.

1. Yes you can match in the first round in MOST provinces and institutions. And yes once you do your residency in Canada, you can practice medicine in Canada.

2. This is tricky. It really depends on the specialty you're in and whether the College accepts the US training. This varies from specialty to specialty and no simple answer can be given.

This is a complex issues that I investigated before choosing where to goto med school:

In order of decreasing advantage, here is how to go if you want to work in Canada: ("Mike59's Complete guide to the US-Canada med school system") :D :

a) Canadian Med school- Canadian residency (obvious)
V
b) Canadian Med school - US residency- aapply in Canada for licensing
(the clerkship years in Canada will double dip for some licensing requirements) but as stated by another poster, the requirements for the license varies with each residency
V
c) US Medical School - Canadian residency
In answer to your question, I don't believe your chances are as good as a Canadian graduate...The ratio of spots to applicants is predicted to drop BELOW 1:1 meaning that there won't be enough spots for all Canadian graduates unless the government gets with the program :rolleyes: . Even though you are a citizen, the residency programs will be likely to prefer Canadian school grads. Family medicine is very doable if you apply first round, but most specialties up here are way more competitive than in the US.

V
d) US Medical School - US Residency- apply for licensing in Canada
Very tricky...You may have to repeat a year of residency for with NO COMPENSATION...there are thousands of IMGs competing for about 100 spots each year just to do the extra year of training that makes them eligible for a license. Plus you'd have to write all the Canadian boards with US training, which is easier said than done (the Cdn boards are WAY harder)

Not to mention: TUITION....If you goto one of the insane US schools where the tuition exceeds $200k over four years, seriously reconsider your plans. With the amount of taxation in Canada, even a six figure salary will not cover your monthly payments on US loans and the cost of living up here. If I honestly had to to it all again and someone told me I'd have to pay back $200k, I'd choose another career (assuming I were to stay in Canada). With a Canadian paycheck and a large loan (I'd say anything over $100k US), life won't be fun for many many years.....

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Moo:

You said that in certain provinces and institutions I can match in the first round. Do you know where I can look to see which provinces/institutions this is the case for?

Mike59:

You mentioned that you've been through this before. What ended up happening in your situation (if you don't mind me asking)? (Ie. Where did you end up going to school and why?)

When I say most, I should say ALL. BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario for sure. Quebec, probably. Dont' know about the others. Contact each of the schools individually. For ex, at the UT website, they say clearly that any graduate of a "Canada/USA medical school" can match into first round. At Ottawa, I think they give preference to Canadian grads though and they state this clearly.

Hi Potato,

What province do you live in? If you are interested in coming back and practicing in Ontario, I can shed some light on that.

As of April 2004, everything in Ontario is in the process of changing or has changed. The International Medical Graduate Program is now called the Ontario International Medical Graduate Clearing House.

It would be way too complicated to go through the whole change on this post.

If you are interested go to their new website: http://www.oimgc.utoronto.ca/

I suggest you do this one afternoon over coffee. It is complicated. But you'll get your answers, for Ontario at least.

Good Luck.