UQ-Ochsner 2022 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone had the application portal sent to them yet?
No, nothing yet.

Has anyone received any confirmation or follow-up of any kind after completing the primary application?

Members don't see this ad.

So as an American student you see no problem with US students totally subsidizing the HECS schemed Aussie students while being held to a much lower standard than the full fee paying US students? It doesn’t bother you that US students are being disciplined academically for passing the same course work as their Aussie counterparts? You see no problem with this at all? If the UQ curriculum satisfies world standards, then why were Aussie students shielded from the step 1 hurdle that was so viciously applied to American students who now have no chance of landing any sort of US residency?

You clearly have an axe to grind. I'm not sure what it is, but I wish you well.

Your argument doesn't make sense. In earlier posts you acknowledge that this is an Australian medical school. Of course the Australian students are not required to take the United States Medical Licensing Exam, since the majority are not intending to practice medicine in the U.S. It makes no sense that Step 1 would be a hurdle for the domestic cohort. There are enough informational webinars out there that people applying to this program tend to be aware of the requirements, and numerous threads here on the program going back multiple application cycles. The kind of applicant that comes to these forums is pretty well-informed as to the advantages and disadvantages of the program. There are multiple graduates, and multiple current students of the program here that have offered their opinions. The type of student that does well in this program is someone that is organized and can independently study. Ultimately, you have to take charge of your own medical education. I'm not aware of any program in the world that will do the work of reading consistently and learning medicine for you. Probably won't be checking for a response, but I'm sure I'll get one. All the best.

Reactions: 1 user
No, nothing yet.

Has anyone received any confirmation or follow-up of any kind after completing the primary application?
I got a "thank you for applying" email the next day with info on where to send my transcripts. It mentioned that once my transcripts had been received, they'd do a GPA calculation/MCAT verification and mark my app complete. After that, we get access to the admissions portal. One of my transcripts is going by snail mail, so I'm definitely not complete yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
You clearly have an axe to grind. I'm not sure what it is, but I wish you well.

Your argument doesn't make sense. In earlier posts you acknowledge that this is an Australian medical school. Of course the Australian students are not required to take the United States Medical Licensing Exam, since the majority are not intending to practice medicine in the U.S. It makes no sense that Step 1 would be a hurdle for the domestic cohort. There are enough informational webinars out there that people applying to this program tend to be aware of the requirements, and numerous threads here on the program going back multiple application cycles. The kind of applicant that comes to these forums is pretty well-informed as to the advantages and disadvantages of the program. There are multiple graduates, and multiple current students of the program here that have offered their opinions. The type of student that does well in this program is someone that is organized and can independently study. Ultimately, you have to take charge of your own medical education. I'm not aware of any program in the world that will do the work of reading consistently and learning medicine for you. Probably won't be checking for a response, but I'm sure I'll get one. All the best.
Look mate, let’s stop pretending that the people that operate this thread are satisfied US students, you are Aussie administrators spruiking this course, I’ve been around you blokes for many years and can smell the vegemite from a mile away. Here’s my message for you. The Australian international education sector is in free fall. You are now pariahs in Asia and from the looks of things you are gonna destroy your reputation in the US, really the last ally that you have. No one else can stand the sound of you. Stop screwing American students!! This will not work out well for you, it just won’t. I do have an axe to grind against the executive dean of UQ medical school, I never denied it. This guy will destroy your whole program, mark my word.

So as an American student you see no problem with US students totally subsidizing the HECS schemed Aussie students while being held to a much lower standard than the full fee paying US students? It doesn’t bother you that US students are being disciplined academically for passing the same course work as their Aussie counterparts? You see no problem with this at all? If the UQ curriculum satisfies world standards, then why were Aussie students shielded from the step 1 hurdle that was so viciously applied to American students who now have no chance of landing any sort of US residency?
International students can choose to apply for the 4 year UQ program with the same requirements/coursework as the domestic cohort or the 2 + 2 UQ-Ochsner program. If one doesn't want to sit step 1 they don't have to do the Ochsner program.

The Ochsner program is designed to train U.S. doctors to practice in the U.S. hence the requirement for step 1.

Naturally the UQ Ochsner program will have different hurdles as it is a different program from the 4 year traditional UQ program. These requirements are spelled out on the website one can view before matriculating.

International students everywhere in the world subsidize domestic students. That is the tradeoff - getting that degree when in many cases would be impossible otherwise.

Last edited:
International students can choose to apply for the 4 year UQ program with the same requirements/coursework as the domestic cohort or the 2 + 2 UQ-Ochsner program. If one doesn't want to sit step 1 they don't have to do the Ochsner program.

The Ochsner program is designed to train U.S. doctors to practice in the U.S. hence the requirement for step 1.

Naturally the UQ Ochsner program will have different hurdles as it is a different program from the 4 year traditional UQ program. These requirements are spelled out on the website one can view before matriculating.

International students everywhere in the world subsidize domestic students. That is the tradeoff - getting that degree when in many cases would be impossible otherwise.
So please stop lying about being a student, you are a UQ administrator. You have misrepresented yourself and are actively deceiving potential students. This is disgusting 🤮.

So please stop lying about being a student, you are a UQ administrator. You have misrepresented yourself and are actively deceiving potential students. This is disgusting 🤮.

Ok I give up on trying to convince you that I'm just a satisfied alumnus of the program.

Reactions: 3 users
so fetch mean girls GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

Xoxo,

Another satisfied alum

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone here received the admissions portal yet? I applied in November but haven't heard anything from them since. My email stated that they would start scheduling interviews in march.

LOL. Get over yourself. You aren’t even a student at UQ. You failed another medical school. You also clearly lack perspective and likely will never understand why that occurred. Being a doctor is hard. Not everyone is able to do it. Move on.

Has anyone here received the admissions portal yet? I applied in November but haven't heard anything from them since. My email stated that they would start scheduling interviews in march.
Been wondering the same thing! Looks like they started processing in Mid-January, I am sure we will start seeing applicant portal invites start opening up, glad I am not the only one hanging by a thread!

• Love
Also, in last year's thread, the first interview extension reported was on the 28th, so we probably have around 2 weeks left!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, in last year's thread, the first interview extension reported was on the 28th, so we probably have around 2 weeks left!
That would be amazing!! Was expecting the Covid situation would delay the process a little from last year but hopefully not. Extremely excited about this program! I honestly thought there would be more discussion here lol. Hope we both here back soon!

I just received it last night. Submitted my app early January

My application status says "Assessment in progress". Is that what you guys have?

Interview invitation yesterday night around 8pm PST! Complete 11/18

• Love
Interview invitation yesterday night around 8pm PST! Complete 11/18
Congrats!! What day is your interview scheduled for? Also when did you get access to your application dashboard?

Last edited:
Congrats!! What day is your interview scheduled for? Also when did you get access to your application dashboard?
I don’t remember, I think I had to go in through the onshore application lol (I changed to Ochsner mid-application). The portal is the same for both and I think I actually got mine emailed to me when I submitted the app. Interview is March 25

Anyone else here back from UQ? My application is still being processed :/. Also for some reason it says that it was last edited yesterday... I didn't change anything. Not sure what that means... Anyone else have something similar?

Anyone else here back from UQ? My application is still being processed :/. Also for some reason it says that it was last edited yesterday... I didn't change anything. Not sure what that means... Anyone else have something similar?
I have, but only recently. If it says it was edited yesterday that probably means they’ve updated your application status but haven’t allowed you to see it yet. That happened to me like the day before I got the II. You could always email them! I’ve found them extremely responsive and helpful compared to other schools I’ve applied to. I think IIs are meant to start coming out this week for the first round interview in March

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I have, but only recently. If it says it was edited yesterday that probably means they’ve updated your application status but haven’t allowed you to see it yet. That happened to me like the day before I got the II. You could always email them! I’ve found them extremely responsive and helpful compared to other schools I’ve applied to. I think IIs are meant to start coming out this week for the first round interview in March
You were exactly right. Got my II sooner after for March 25. So excited!!!

Congrats & good luck to interviewees as well !! I submitted my application without MCAT since I'm taking it in March, wondering if anyone is on the same boat & has had an update? or received an interview without the MCAT? I'm not expecting to hear anything until I do submit it but was curious.

Hi! I think they won't do the interviews without the MCAT, but not totally sure. I'm taking it end of April and I'm so nervous it's too late, but I did the same as you and submitted without the MCAT. I need a higher score to compensate for my GPA and just want to take my time (ahh). I wonder if they tell you whether your prereq submissions are approved or not though.

Hi! I think they won't do the interviews without the MCAT, but not totally sure. I'm taking it end of April and I'm so nervous it's too late, but I did the same as you and submitted without the MCAT. I need a higher score to compensate for my GPA and just want to take my time (ahh). I wonder if they tell you whether your prereq submissions are approved or not though.
Yea, I believe we need the MCAT before any interviews, which makes sense. I had spoken with admissions & they said March/April date was still an acceptable timeline for consideration, so you're good. For pre-reqs, personally I wasn't notified but on the portal underneath "Uploaded Files" where the transcripts files show up & proof of MCAT registration, it says "pre-requisite approval". Best of luck!

Does anyone know how high of a gpa/mcat you need for this program?

Does anyone know how high of a gpa/mcat you need for this program?
The Mcat cut off is 504 and I believe the GPA cut off is a 3.0. The average MCAT and GPA of accepted students last year was 509 and 3.5 based on the FAQ section on their website. As long as you meet the cutoff then I think you'll automatically qualify for an interview invitation but I'm not 100% sure about that. I remember them saying that they make their decision based 25% on MCAT score, 25% GPA and 50% for the interview. So if you do really well on the interview you'll definitely have a solid shot.

So I stayed away from this blog until one of your staff members decided to go and insult me. Now I really don't care as Aussie opinions mean nothing to me nor anyone else around the world. But here is the situation on the ground for the UQ-Oschner program. From what I can gather your Executive Dean Geoff McColl is up to his old tricks. From reading many current posts on this thread and a bunch of other subreddits there seem to be a vast amount of American UQ-Oschner students who have been held back a whole year, this is unheard of in any medical school. These students have no chance at this point of being matched, being held back in a foreign medical school is the kiss of death. Once these students graduate(or dropout) they will not be able to repay their massive government loans and are going to start defaulting in mass. A critical mass will be reached where US department of education will launch an investigation into what is happening and will probably end UQ-Oschner student loan eligibility. This will probably be followed by the mother of all class action lawsuits that will cost this program more assets than they currently have. This will be ugly.

Last edited:
It is true that a decent chunk of students (far from the majority) did not pass the CBSE and there was a lot of controversy at that time. However a supplemental CBSE was subsequently offered and most of the students who initially failed ultimately ended up passing. The Step 1 course is still being worked on and things are continuing to change.

I recognize that the administration isn't perfect. But to be completely honest, people have posted much worse things happening at other US based medical schools. For example, how many medical students in the US still don't have the COVID vaccine? Ochsner students were vaccinated months ago.

Yeah this program probably shouldn't be your first choice, it's still fairly new and while matches have been really good so far, we don't know how things will change with step 1 going P/F. But if you've had an unsuccessful cycle, especially if you were held back by GPA rather than MCAT, this is a much better option that going Caribbean.

So I stayed away from this blog until one of your staff members decided to go and insult me. Now I really don't care as Aussie opinions mean nothing to me nor anyone else around the world. But here is the situation on the ground for the UQ-Oschner program. From what I can gather your Executive Dean Geoff McColl is up to his old tricks. From reading many current posts on this thread and a bunch of other subreddits there seem to be a vast amount of American UQ-Oschner students who have been held back a whole year, this is unheard of in any medical school. These students have no chance at this point of being matched, being held back in a foreign medical school is the kiss of death. Once these students graduate(or dropout) they will not be able to repay their massive government loans and are going to start defaulting in mass. A critical mass will be reached where US department of education will launch an investigation into what is happening and will probably end UQ-Oschner student loan eligibility. This will probably be followed by the mother of all class action lawsuits that will cost this program more assets than they currently have. This will be ugly.
Hey OZ road kill, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with an Australian med school, that must have been a huge disappointment and I can understand the frustration. Your words of warning have been heard and given current applicants another perspective to consider; one I didn't know about. I wish you the best going forward and hope you find success. Please stop posting here. The spirit of your warning has changed over the course of your posts, and is now unproductive. You have communicated the necessary information for people to come to their own conclusions regarding their medical school decisions. Best of luck.

@Wolvvs Thank you for coming on here as a first year and offering your perspective on things. I know there was a question asked previously about the CBSE and I had no idea since I've graduated and don't like to offer opinions on something I don't know about. That wasn't part of the curriculum when I moved from phase 1 to phase 2. Glad to know about the supp that was offered which subsequently most passed.

For other prospective students lurking, I think your other comments are spot on (in the other Ochsner 2022 thread) about this program being great for those who are self sufficient and manage their time well as there aren't too many onerous requirements. After having completed my education there and talking to friends who graduated from other medical schools, I've realized that everyone loves to complain about medical school in general- which makes sense, It is a difficult and stressful time in one's life. I know people who graduated from other medical schools in Australia and the U.S. and they are very lukewarm in their assessment wherever they went. At the end of the day It's a means to an end and requires a lot of independent study wherever you are. Same with medical school anywhere in the world. The people who do the best here have great time management skills and put independent work in. Studying for step 1 provides an excellent framework on how to structure your studying the first 2 years.

As I've stated before I loved my time at UQ-O. There were certainly some people in my class who loved to complain about various things (most of it due to there being a lot of type A personalities in medical school, and stuff related to the first 2 years regarding exam questions and UQ admin stuff and requirements) and everyone is entitled to their opinion. My own personality was to just go with the flow complete my requirements, laugh about some of the nonsense, and move on. Everyone has a different personality and mindset going in. Medical school is a fun journey where you make some of your closest friends. When you get fed up with UQ related bureaucracy there's always a light at the end of the tunnel which is the 2 years at Ochsner (arguably the more important, latter part of medical school which provided great rotations on par with anywhere in the U.S.).

I did feel overall that the admin was pretty receptive to student feedback (especially with exams) and tried to implement changes each semester to improve. I did feel that there were plenty of opportunities to pass each semester and it was fair (not always easy but fair) and that being able to study in 2 different countries was pretty awesome and unique. That's just my own take. Anyway glad you are enjoying the journey. You get what you put into it.

Last edited:
Interview invite tonight! Submitted 2/18

this is definitely a dumb question, but for those who are entering the 2022 cohort... you would be graduating in 2026, right? For some reason, I assumed they would graduate in 2025 since current US MD/DO students applying right now will be class of 2025 but just wanted to confirm that it will be 2026 since I wasn't able to find an academic calendar on their website.

this is definitely a dumb question, but for those who are entering the 2022 cohort... you would be graduating in 2026, right? For some reason, I assumed they would graduate in 2025 since current US MD/DO students applying right now will be class of 2025 but just wanted to confirm that it will be 2026 since I wasn't able to find an academic calendar on their website.
Class entering 2022 would begin January 2022 and would graduate ~December 2025, and would be able to enter residency in June 2026.

Class entering 2022 would begin January 2022 and would graduate ~December 2025, and would be able to enter residency in June 2026.

Hi Wolvvs, thanks for sharing your stats. Considering your amazing MCAT score, do you think you were waitlisted because of your GPA or because of some other factor like applying late or something. Its kinda scary seeing a 520+ get waitlisted.

This is also something I'm very worried about. My GPA is average and I felt that my MMI performance on Thursday could have gone better. I have a 505 MCAT... If someone with a 520+ got waitlisted, what chance would I have realistically. Hoping that applying early helped a bit but I still feel that my chances are slim due to my mcat.
You never know what can happen. I have heard so many applicants say that they felt like they bombed the interview and still get in!

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to scare you!

I applied late (May I think) because I was still on a waitlist at a US MD school and didn't even know about this program until I started looking at options for the following year. I also had some trouble getting transcripts in because one of my schools is very slow. I didn't interview until the end of August, and I think nearly everyone at that interview was initially waitlisted.

From what I remember the MMIs were a little awkward because the interviewers weren't allowed to engage with you at all. I didn't feel great coming off of the interviews either. Remember that this is a unique program that doesn't get a ton of applications--not everyone's willing to spend a couple years living on the other side of the world. Also, many people end up having to choose between a late US acceptance and this program, so spaces tend to open up over time. Historically, those who apply, meet the requirements, and don't totally bomb the interview are able to get in. You can scroll through previous years threads and see that among those who apply early, very few end up waitlisted or rejected. That may change over time as the program gets older and more well known but I don't think we're there yet. So don't stress too much for now :)

• Love
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to scare you!

I applied late (May I think) because I was still on a waitlist at a US MD school and didn't even know about this program until I started looking at options for the following year. I also had some trouble getting transcripts in because one of my schools is very slow. I didn't interview until the end of August, and I think nearly everyone at that interview was initially waitlisted.

From what I remember the MMIs were a little awkward because the interviewers weren't allowed to engage with you at all. I didn't feel great coming off of the interviews either. Remember that this is a unique program that doesn't get a ton of applications--not everyone's willing to spend a couple years living on the other side of the world. Also, many people end up having to choose between a late US acceptance and this program, so spaces tend to open up over time. Historically, those who apply, meet the requirements, and don't totally bomb the interview are able to get in. You can scroll through previous years threads and see that among those who apply early, very few end up waitlisted or rejected. That may change over time as the program gets older and more well known but I don't think we're there yet. So don't stress too much for now :)
I totally agree with this. I interviewed last week and the interview itself was honestly super awkward bc they weren’t allowed to speak to you informally after you finished talking so there was just silence for a bit until the bell rang. I think my answers were good but that situation itself makes you feel a bit wary of the outcome.

I totally agree with this. I interviewed last week and the interview itself was honestly super awkward bc they weren’t allowed to speak to you informally after you finished talking so there was just silence for a bit until the bell rang. I think my answers were good but that situation itself makes you feel a bit wary of the outcome.
Hey AthenaSteph, I see from your signature you've already got a DO acceptance. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think you'll do if you get accepted to UQO as well?

This is also something I'm very worried about. My GPA is average and I felt that my MMI performance on Thursday could have gone better. I have a 505 MCAT... If someone with a 520+ got waitlisted, what chance would I have realistically. Hoping that applying early helped a bit but I still feel that my chances are slim due to my mcat.

well, chances are you will be waitlisted. but it'll turn into an acceptance one way or another.

What do you mean by that Damson? Is there usually a lot of waitlist movement? Does everyone on the waitlist at uq usually get off off it so it's more like a delayed acceptance? Also wouldn't a rejection be a possibility or do they not reject applicants this early on in the cycle?

Waitlist movement is quick from what I hear. I'm just voting in favor of you getting in sooner or later in the near future.

Out of curiousity is your plan to match back in the US in the future? Have you applied to DO programs?

I'm just really hoping it's not a straight rejection. I know people don't usually post about their rejections on sdn so past threads may show a skewed image of how competitive this program actually is. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst I guess. My main plan is to match back in the states, but I honestly wouldn't mind staying in Australia either and I love that this program gives us that opportunity. I'm primarily interested in matching into a pathology residency. From what I've heard online and from pathologist I've shadowed those residencies aren't really DO friendly. My ultimate goal is to become a physician so I would go DO if I get rejected here, but I definitely prefer UQ over the DO route.
That's fair. Again my money is on you likely getting into uq-o this cycle.

DO applications open in about 3 months - i would apply anyway if acceptance not in email by then. get your app materials in order
you may want to attempt applying MD at your state schools that prefer state residents

if potentially OK with staying in australia and becoming a pathologist there, may want to throw in some apps to those schools as well. early in cycle still

• Love
Hey AthenaSteph, I see from your signature you've already got a DO acceptance. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think you'll do if you get accepted to UQO as well?
I totally forgot about that signature! I’m really not sure actually. I’m also on one MD waitlist (won’t say which, they’re always watching) but it’s a pretty well-ranked school so I’ll probably go there if I get in. As for my acceptance I’ll have to do some thinking and decide whether I would want to practice in the US or outside of it, because UQ does open up that option. I think that practicing in Australia would be an awesome opportunity though, so I’m heavily considering going to UQ should I get in.