UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just listed my undergrad stuff. On the question about where I will practice, I just put something about how since I haven't begun my medical education I have not made a decision regarding that, but I'm currently interested in practicing IM or OB/GYN in North Texas, etc.

I just finished my essay, but we have to include our student ID on it...does anyone know where to find this? Thanks!

If you email admissions they'll send it to you. I couldn't find it on my documents, but they were happy to provide it for me when I asked.

Members don't see this ad.

I just filled out the general scholarship info and after you hit submit it goes to the next screen that gives these statements (that pertain to us MS0):

"DO Scholarships

Submit an essay that describes in detail your community service experiences and your leadership potential.

Complete a 2009-2010 FAFSA by March 1 "

So we have to get a completed FAFSA to them by tomorrow? If that is the case I wish that would have been mentioned in the email we got...

I just filled out the general scholarship info and after you hit submit it goes to the next screen that gives these statements (that pertain to us MS0):

"DO Scholarships

Submit an essay that describes in detail your community service experiences and your leadership potential.

So we have to get a completed FAFSA to them by tomorrow? If that is the case I wish that would have been mentioned in the email we got...

Yeah would have been nice. However, I just realized we qualify as independents now, so I didn't have to deal with entering my parents' info. Made things a lot easier!

Members don't see this ad :)

"DO Scholarships

Yea I'm with you on that one. I called and they said make sure to fill out the 2010 2011 FAFSA and to fill in the scholarship app with undergrad stuff b/c they'll see you're an incoming first year. Hope this helps.

Also, be aware that even if you have submitted the FAFSA, it might still show up on you "to-do" list. I completed it last month, and it still says I haven't finished it. I emailed financial aid, and they informed me that TCOM doesn't retrieve the FAFSA data until later this month. Don't panic if this happens. :p

Where or to whom are we supposed to submit this essay?

Yea I'm with you on that one. I called and they said make sure to fill out the 2010 2011 FAFSA and to fill in the scholarship app with undergrad stuff b/c they'll see you're an incoming first year. Hope this helps.

Did they say the essay was due today also?

I called them, they have to have everything by midnight tonight.

Hello, I am currently a second year at tcom and I hate this school because of the amount of lies we are fed, if you are looking to apply to tcom or trying to decide between tcom or another medical school (do or md) please message me if you have any questions and you want someone that will be honest with you. If you go to tcom and you're a suck up or even worse faculty, please dont bother emailing/messaging me because I will simply delete your email.

Last edited:
Hello, I am currently a second year at tcom and I hate this school because of the amount of lies we are fed, if you are looking to apply to tcom or trying to decide between tcom or another medical school (do or md) please message me if you have any questions and you want someone that will be honest with you. If you go to tcom and you're a suck up or even worse faculty, please dont bother emailing/messaging me because I will simply delete your email.
:rolleyes:

If you messaged this person please message me as well. I can give you the non-bitter reply. If y'all have any concerns I will be straight with you.

Many of you have asked about my opinion of TCOM. Below is a really long response. It's all honest answers and hopefully helpful. But please-y'all will be physicians one day, learn to make your own judgements :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I must give the initial credit and part of the post to the user ttmp in the "Pros and Cons of your school thread"

UNTHSC-TCOM

Curriculum: Systems based curriculum: Biochem, Musculoskeletal, Neuro, Endocrine, Heme, in first semester and Cardio, Resp, Repro, Mechanism of Disease etc in 2nd semester. Anatomy is usually 2-3 days a week in the afternoons and covers the system you are covering in class. OMM is one afternoon a week usually 3-4 hrs. Second year is similar schedule-but more emphasis on the CILs and DSAs. You have a mix of lectures and Clinical integration Labs (CILs) as well as DSAs which is basically time to study on your own. You are in class alot more during 1st year and usually 2-3hrs a day in second year with 1 to 2 days free to study each week. One thing about TCOM is that it seems like the faculty want to prove to other TX schools that TCOM turns out students as good or better than them so you are pushed extremely hard during the 1st couple of years. We test every 2 weeks on our core classes, but with OMM, you essentially will have weeks that you test every week. I personally like this better rather than block testing-which is a week of exams about every 6-8 weeks. It keeps you on top of things.
Con: Honestly, the only thing that I absolutely get really really frusturated with is our summer break. This year it is 3 weeks, while most other schools have at least 5 weeks or up to 8. This leaves little time for a summer research project or long term volunteering, etc. And second years are required to do a week-long preceptorship that cant be done during school time-so either summer or winter break. I chose to the statewide peds preceptorship program and because they know TCOM only has 3 weeks, they offer us a 2 week option ( most other students from other TX schools do 4 weeks). So effectively - my summer break will only be 1 week. But *note* we threw such a hissy fit that the Deans have taken us seriously-they said it was too late for us but that they are looking at the curriculum and trying to improve that for y'all. Also they are re-working the preceptorship requirement because it is a pain. So this issue might not be the case for y'all, but please be aware of it. Also-get ready for a lot, if not most 8-4 or 9-5 days first year. Just the way it is.

P.S. They are finishing the new building-so y'all will have a lovely new lecture hall to sit in-well really, live in :)

Location:Most people like Ft. Worth -I love it. The school is in the cultural district right outside of downtown and it is one of the nicer areas in the city. The nightlife is pretty awesome-a nice clean downtown, and if you are looking for more of a country feel there is always the stockyards.

Cost: It is easily the cheapest DO school in the country. Very cheap for instate residents and for out of staters it is still cheaper than other DO schools. TCOM has to take at least 90% Texas residents so its tough to get if an out of stater.
Con: Not really many scholarships but financial aid in the form of loans and a little grants are there.

Faculty: As with every school, some faculty you will love and some you will wonder, "really?" But are you learning the info you need? Of course. Clinical faculty is diverse because of the large physician group that include every specialty. There are quite a few MD faculty in additions to DOs.

OMM: The OMM department at TCOM is large and very big on research. OMM is once a week every week for 2 yrs and if you are really interested in OMM you can really get involved here and totally immerse yourself in it. Otherwise you can do your 2yrs, have your rotation in OMM and never see it again. You become very comfortable touching patients and performing diagnostic exams very quickly. It's now really natural for me to palpate different areas of the body on a patient even during my clinical exam. Today I was volunteering at a clinic and one of our OMM professors, who is a practicing sports med DO, was there as well. We saw him give an OMM exam to a patient who had back pain and knee pain. It was amazing to see everything put together-diagnosis and treatment. Just based on history and diagnostic testing the prof was able to come up with a detailed diagnosis without any imaging. And instead of saying-"sorry you have arthritis, medial meniscal issues, and degenerative disks" and just sending him away, he brought in a lower table and did some OMT. At least gave the patient some momentarily relief from his pain.
Con: OMM is by far one of the more frustrating classes. First of all, you come into the subject knowing absolutely nothing about it-very different from at least the familiarity
of your other science classes. You have to develop a new skill very quickly, and learn a completely new language. This is frustrating in of itself. Put on top of that a disorganized, new faculty and its near chaos, lol. Things have improved and there has been A LOT of dialogue between the students, faculty, and deans to improve OMM. Will you learn enough of it to pass boards, use in clinics, etc.? Yes of course. Will it be your favorite thing? I think it depends on you. I can see many practical uses of OMT but it's an attitude thing. I think if people had more of a positive attitude about OMM and just dealt with it, they wouldn't be so miserable. It's not the answer to everything-just another skill you learn. Do I want to use it in practice? YES. Will my classmates? Some of them will, some won't.

Reputation:TCOM has a good reputation in Texas and especially with the national osteopathic community . We consistently have the highest DO board scores and are on par with the TX MD schools for USMLE. Nationwide we are a pretty well respected school however since most of our students are from TX many stay here for residency so we don't have a huge number of students all over the country like many other DO schools do. Students that have gone out of state have landed good spots. The majority of TCOM students go into MD residencies (over 80%) as there aren't alot of DO residencies around the TX area so keep that in mind.

**Note** this is info from the original poster-I am only a humble first year :)
Clinical Rotations: I think our clinical rotations are good we have 2 campuses right now. One in Corpus Christi where students spend their entire third year and rotate through Christus Spohn, Driscoll Childrens, and Bay area Medical Center. Christus Spohn just opened an ER residency and Driscoll has a Peds residency and is a great Peds rotation. The rest of the students are in Fort Worth at John Peter Smith Hospital, Plaza Medical Center, Cooks Childrens, and Harris Methodist. JPS is a big county hospital around 500 beds and they have Ortho, Family Practice, Rads, OB/GYN, residency there. They are planning on opening an ER residency soon as well. Plaza is private and there is Internal Med, FP, Surgery, and Cards residency etc. Cooks is where we do Peds rotations at and we do various rotations at Harris as well. A handful of students go to Dallas Methodist for internal med.Next year TCOM is opening another clinical campus in Baytown so students can spend the whole 3rd year there for rotations. You get to pick where you want to spend third year. I think 10-12 can go to Corpus and around 10 will go to Baytown the rest are in Fort Worth. (and me again-overall, the 3rd and 4th years who pop by school are really helpful and have advice on where to go especially if you have a certain interest. These rotations are scheduled for you-no need to anything on your own unless you want to elective rotations elsewhere. But the school will still help you on that. Overall,from what I know, no one feels jipped on any clinical education here.)

Housing:There are many apartments and houses around the area. You can find a nice place relatively cheap. The further you are from campus the cheaper it gets in most cases, but you can find some cheap places within walking distance if you look a little.

Study areas:The library is nice but with the DO students, PA students, and grad students, it can get packed. But this year they made it 24 hours (at least the first floor) so you'll always have a place to study :) Which you will a lot.

Social Scene: Haha, my favorite part. Because everything is exaggerated in medical the social scene here is crazy. We go out downtown after tests-yes on Mondays. We have parties. Theme parties. Fake rave parties in the student lounge in between classes, haha. It's been a blast-and I have made REALLY GOOD friends here. TCOM has knack for choosing really nice, sociable people. I love it :)

Local Hospitals:JPS, Harris Methodist, Baylor All Saints, Plaza, Cooks we rotate at all the major hospitals in the area and physicians and staff are very friendly to the students.

Board Prep:We have a full month of board review at the end of 2nd yr and a month off to study on our own. TCOM has had the highset COMLEX scores for the past 2 yrs and above 90 passage rate on USMLE. You will be well prepared to take boards here.

Specialty: There are lots of IMs and FPs like at most DO schools. Most students seem to want primary care but the students who want other specialties ARE NOT PRESSURED INTO PRIMARY CARE. If you want a highly competitive specialty-you have to work for it, like at EVERY school. It does seem that the school places a lot of emphasis on IM and FP however. You can check the TCOM website for their matchlist.

Overall, I am happy camper. It is an attitude thing too though, if you come in with an open mind and have patience, you will have a good experience.

Last edited:
The upcomming year will be better. I dont have a lot of time to respond right now since we have an exam but I promise you if you send me another message in a week I will tell you how its getting better .

short list

better things about next year:
1-summer break getting longer (this is not a being lazy thing this is important bc the degree of burnout, no matter how dedicated you are will become a factor)
2-no preceptorship requirement- seems like a good thing, but in all honesty, in your first year you really dont know enough and are not allowed to do enough to actuallly benefit from preceptorship, also you are not given enough time off to do it, you sometimes end up doing it when you shouldn't because you're in school and lose VERY VALUABLE STUDY TIME.
3-supposedely classes like community resources, ethics, bioresearch, etc are going to be cut back. These are interesting classes and if you had the time to sit and learn about this stuff it would be great, however you NEED AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE TO STUDY bc there is just too much information (without even including the omm material) to learn.

What you need to look at that may still suck:
1- Some medical schools offer their students a set of notes/packet for them to use throughout the year. TCOM will at times post powerpoints before classes, however there will be numerous times (especially second year) when they will not post the powerpoints because they call it a CIL (look at the schedule) and expect you to read the material and be prepared ahead of time (this is bull) so that you can come in and test your knowledge by answering the cases (which sometimes "CIL's" are linked to a quiz, and if you had the powerpoint ahead of time, you'd be able to focus on what you have to study). Another problem with not having the CIL is that you have to type as fast as possible to try and get all the case details down so that you can later use them to study the material for the exam especially since this school likes to assign reads from Cecils internal medicine and Robbins pathological basis of disease (look the books up on amazon) which is simply more than you need. Ask doctors that you know or people that recently graduated what they think about a factuly that pushes students to use Cecils to study from and Robbins instead of using outlines, powerpoints, or notes. With that said, most students meet upperclassmen and ask around for notes and that is what really makes up the vast majority of their study material, because most questions (assuming you have the right material) will come from that and it is just not necessary to read cecils or robbins textbook- you're better off reading baby robbins and using outlines made by previous students.

2- How many hours of interesting courses such as community resources, ethics, bioresearch, biostatics (the way its taught here will not prepare you for boards), etc you will have during the week. There is simply TOO MUCH MATERIAL (this is without even counting omm) to have to learn to be adding classes such as these.

3- The OMM department here is simply too inconsistent. Their questions repeatedly have multiple answers at times with the explanation for why a certain choice over another was chosen being because thats what the factulty member decided to be the right answer. There will be numerous questions where something will be written on one slide which would hint at you to choose one answer versus another, yet a different powerpoint will have something written that will lead you to choose another answer. This department is currently run by a lady named Dr. Henzel, feel free to ask non-class officers for their oppinion about this lady. Just say, "I have a friend of mine that went here, he's a "third year" (this way they dont try to ask you for whom your friend is) and he says Dr. Henzel is really crappy with the way she runs omm. Keep in mind that you are dealing with medical students whom will not be straight forward with you if they dont know your stance because we dont want you to go running to the administration to tell them well so and so told me this school sucks, because, guess what, IT WILL COME BACK TO US (hence my anonymous name).

4. Is there anything that is being done to solve the issue about not having CIL's before classes. If they tell you that there is the study guide with everything you need on it, this is bull. I have their study guid and guess what, most of the powerpoints I use are not from the study guide since they are not scribed, complete, and also entire powerpoints are missing from it. The excuse they will give you is "we here at tcom have found a way of teaching callled "adult learning" this is code for we dont want to be responsible for what is on the powerpoint in case we write a faulty question we dont want you to pin us on what we have on our powerpoint so we'll just not give any of them out". I am telling you to do this just so that they will be aware that you are not completely clueless as to what is going on at this school, this is your life and your career and where you will be for the next 4 years, you should have a quality education. They will tell you that the board scores have inceased since they've implemented this new style of learning/teaching , this is true, and the reason is because TCOM is in the TMDSAS application pool, most students that dont get into an MD school are the ones that end up comming here, this is just the way things work, not because this school is inferior, in fact due to a lot of this, we are actually forced to adapt and learn the same information in less time than at other schools, which in the end forces us to be better students (not than those at other schools) than we would have been had we been at a different medical school.

PS- if this is the only school you get into (vs 250K at the carribean that you will have to pay) my suggestion is to come here, simply because it is cheaper and because you will pass, and also because the school has been getting drastically better since the previous year's dean (Dr. Dubin) left to go to rocky mountain vista (the DO colorado school) where he is currently getting paid a lot more (irregardless of what you get told by others, this i know for a fact). If you look this guy up, you will see a nice guy (whom has added numerous students on facebook) with lots of nice quotes. Keep in mind that this is a medical school with students that would love a recommendation from the assistant dean i think is what his actual position was or the dean of student affairs, I mean think about how nice it would have been to have a recommendation from the Dean of your university while you were applying to medical school saying how much of a hard worker you are and how smart you are (dont ever underestimate the power of a premed or med student to kiss ass).

Lastly, I have a TON OF ERROS ON THIS MESSAGE, I have a neuro exam this friday to study for and as usual this school has not supplied us with the NECESSARY materials needed to do well, so I'm forced to use what I'm hoping will cover the test questions/ material . The reason being that we've been told to read Cecils book of internal medicine (over 100 pages of reading) in a week..lol..which you may be able to read, but to read and to retain are two different things. Good luck , work hard, study harder, and hope for the best. If you heard different from someone about anything I wrote above, keep in mind this is my personal opinion, I dont care to know what you heard (I'm not trying to offend you but I only made this account to get both sides out on this school ), I dont care to know what I miss-spelled ( i can see all the dam red myself), and lastly if your response is man you really wanted to be an MD and this is why you're writing this, 1- yes I did want to be an MD, 2- no this is not why I'm writing this 3- Im happy with being a DO because I actually wanted to be a physician not an MD not a DO (dont lie to yourself, we both cover the "entire" body, the days of focusing strictly on the disease are long gone and if you know a doctor that gave you blah blah blah for x disease instead of asked you about your life, feelings, etc , deal with it, and find a different doctor or tell whomever you know to find a different doctor, there are plenty of doctors (DO and MD) that care about their patients.

Since its difficult to tell whom is telling you the truth about what on this site. These are the 2 emails from the professor teaching neuro in response to people having problems after the first exam (the first message) the other was in response to people not knowing what to study ( the second message). He only sent out 2 emails (nothing wrong with that) during this short course period so you dont have much to judge him on since you were not in lecture and you did not take the course, but there you have it.

MESSAGE from Dr. McIntosh:

I responded to one of you, but I want to share this with all of you:
Hang in there. Don't go crazy reading everything in Cecil. Be sure that you understand everything in the Objectives and the Self Study Guide material and everything covered in the CILs. If something is in the objectives that I don't get to in the CIL, or there is a disease condition in the objectives or SS guide that I don't cover in the CIL then the only way you have to learn about it is by reading, whether it is Cecil or elsewhere. I am assuming that you are reading Cecil so I am using Cecil to reference some of the test questions (not that many, but some). Be sure that you can clearly define every term in the objectives and SS guide. When you see a term such as myelopathy or radiculopathy or myelitis or angle-closure glaucoma. See if you can write down the definition then look it up to see how close you are. Sometimes we think we understand something until we are asked to define it and find we don't "understand" as well as we believed we did. Do that also with every disease state discussed or listed in objectives and SS guide. The things you should know about each disease listed, I discuss in the intro to the SS guide. Be able to define the disease in terms of Clinical features (who does it affect, how does it affect them, what is the course, etc) Pathophysiology (what kind of a disease is it VINDICATES) How is the disease diagnosed? (Are there diagnostic criteria, as in Headaches, MS, GBS, etc) or is it based upon MRI findings, CSF, history as in epilepsy, etc. and Management (Not in great detail but in general know if there are specific drugs used to treat the disease, as in Parkinsons, etc. Before you read Cecil see how much of this you can do from your CIL notes, etc if you feel like you come up short in your understanding, then try to improve upon your understanding from the reading in Cecil. Know the terms, diseases, and other info mentioned in the objectives and SS guide. If you can't find the info in Cecil, then ask in class that is what I am there for, not just to take up your time, exercise my vocal cords, and look at old videos of myself when I was 20 years younger!
This course is work, but it is not inscrutable, just keep at it. Good luck!
WEM

William E. McIntosh, D.O.
Associate Professor of Neurology
University of North Texas Health Science Center

A message from Dr. McIntosh:

I have learned that some in the class are struggling. One thing that I would suggest is to find a classmate who is doing quite well in the course, and there are many, and ask them what they are doing and how they are preparing. Then compare their style to yours and see if you could modify your study style to be more successful. Ask questions in the test review to try to gain understanding, not jut to argue the answers. Carefully review the objectives and study guide material until you feel confident that you can answer all of the objective questions, and understand all of the terms and concepts in the study guide. If you can't, carefully read the assigned reading or try to access the information in some other way. If you have difficulty with concepts or if you are consistently getting the wrong answers on the cases in class, let me know and I will try to make some time to go over problem areas with students who are having difficulty. There are rarely questions about the class case answers, so I assume that everyone is understanding. If you are not, ask questions. That is what the CILs are for and why I am there. If you do not ask questions about difficulty you are having, I cannot help. I do not have time to meet with multiple students independently, but I will find time to spend with a group who want to go over specific problems they are having to try to help them improve their understanding. I can do this at noontime or after hours. I want the entire class to succeed.
WEM

William E. McIntosh, D.O.
Associate Professor of Neurology
University of North Texas Health Science Center

If you want me to send you the objectives tell me, its pretty pathetic. The "study guide" - not sure what he means by that.

Well I think we both effectively discouraged people from the simple fact that there are now 3 novels as posts. lol

Dude, it's Neuro. Everyone I talked to is struggling. And although it sucks, blaming it on having to read Cecil's and Robbin's or profs-is just not what it is.

It's NEURO. And it's med school. I have a friend at Baylor who had a test in which 60% of the class failed and they had to throw out like 20 questions. Sometimes it just sucks-but it sucks everywhere.

Take it easy, and good luck on Friday.

I for one find this exchange very interesting >.> It would certainly be nice if they lengthened the summer break by a bit.

I think the above person is just a complainer. Every med school is going to have problems and the ones that he/she lists are certainly not unique. I have yet to meet a med student who didn't hate the amount of ethics in their curriculum (at various MD and DO schools). The general consensus is that, yes, it is interesting, but no, we do not have time for it.

That said, I appreciate the poster's honesty. And if I become a TCOM student, I will appreciate the longer break that you have lobbied for!

Well just to keep this thread alive....has anyone who was on the waitlist at TCOM get accepted yet?

yeah this thread keeps dying. are you on the waitlist, nev?

yeah this thread keeps dying. are you on the waitlist, nev?

Well I got interviewed for a waitlist last month at TCOM....Ive never heard of anything like it. I thought they would have a waitlist based on the number of interviews they offered. I'm hoping that there are seats available....

Well I got interviewed for a waitlist last month at TCOM....Ive never heard of anything like it. I thought they would have a waitlist based on the number of interviews they offered. I'm hoping that there are seats available....

Yeah I interviewed as well... never heard of them doing such a thing. I am curious as well... it seems they have not called anyone.

Is anyone going to Preview Day?

I'll definitely be there.

As to the waitlist--I stopped by admissions while I was exploring the school over spring break, and it doesn't seem like they've made many decisions yet. They did say that they were totally done with interviews.

A lot of private schools are still issuing acceptances and calling people off of waitlists. Some of the Texas schools are also picking people off the waitlists. I suspect people will start jumping ship from TCOM to other institutions, which will open spots for you all. Even if seats are not available currently, they should become available in the next few months. Goodluck to you!

I will not be at preview day. It is too expensive to fly and too far to drive. Please post whatever pertinent information they tell you. Thanks!

I'll definitely be there.

As to the waitlist--I stopped by admissions while I was exploring the school over spring break, and it doesn't seem like they've made many decisions yet. They did say that they were totally done with interviews.

Decisions as making offers for those on the waitlist?

Decisions as making offers for those on the waitlist?

Yeah, so I gathered. As was stated above, I'm sure people will start being picked from the waitlist soon.

I don't think I'm going to go to Preview Day either. It would be nice to go and meet people, etc, but that's one of my last free weekends at college, and I'd rather stay and hang out with my friends before I graduate!

Ahhh waitlist movements are so slow.....lol. I thought they would send the first set of acceptances for the people on waitlists starting March 1st. Maybe they have spots open but are doing a close review on the people on the waitlist.....aah I cant stop speculating :scared:

Ahhh waitlist movements are so slow.....lol. I thought they would send the first set of acceptances for the people on waitlists starting March 1st. Maybe they have spots open but are doing a close review on the people on the waitlist.....aah I cant stop speculating :scared:

From what I understand, the waitlist is ranked. So if you're high on the waitlist, you will be getting off of it first (granted spots have started to open up) I wouldn't think they would need to do a review.

On a side note, has anybody from last month's interviews heard anything yet?

And the wait continues....yep this is going to be for a while folks...lol....I loved TCOM..was an awesome school and would be awesome to be able to attend.

I am in! Nev, I hope you got called too.... Yay! Got a call from admission's today.

I am sure you are next.. :) :xf: lets keep our fingers, toes and hair crossed.. don't lose hope.. please don't... :xf:
Jose

awesome!!! Congrats dude! Im waiting for the call...hopefully Im next!

I am in! Nev, I hope you got called too.... Yay! Got a call from admission's today.

Hey congrats!! That's awesome that you got accepted straight up when we thought we were interviewing for the waitlist. Hopefully I'll also be as fortunate.:xf: Did your online status change?

does tcom accept lors from interfolio? I'm confused because of how they use tmdsas. Like do we use tmdsas in substitute for interfolio or can we send stuff from interfolio to tmdsas?

does tcom accept lors from interfolio? I'm confused because of how they use tmdsas. Like do we use tmdsas in substitute for interfolio or can we send stuff from interfolio to tmdsas?

Hey reese..I think for the next application cycle (entering class of 2011), none of the texas schools are using interfolio so you would send ur LORs directly to TMDSAS. When we interviewed at TCOM, they said that there was some screw up with interfolio which ended up resulting in a lot of applicants' papers being delayed to the schools. So because of that, I think they said that TMDSAS filed charges against interfolio and their services arent going to be used in a looooong time

I just want to let yall know that I will soon release my acceptance offer from TCOM for I will be attending another school. Hopefully my spot will go to one of you guys. Good luck and TCOM is a great school.

Ok ...so it looks like I got the official snail mail from TCOM saying that Im waitlisted...cant wait for this to move
Good luck guys...I hope we all get in! :xf:

Hey guys I'm a first year at TCOM. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions at all, including schedule or info about where to live. I live in a really nice apartment complex and would be happy to show you around here for preview day if you're looking for somewhere to live. Good luck to you all.

I'm considering an application at TCOM. Is a LoR from a DO necessary or is the letter from the committee at my school sufficient.

I'm considering an application at TCOM. Is a LoR from a DO necessary or is the letter from the committee at my school sufficient.
A LOR from a DO is not necessary. I did not have one and I got in to TCOM, and I was accepted pre-Match. I had my committee letter, and I had a LOR from a physician I had shadowed (an MD, there are not many DOs where I live) and a LOR from a professor I had worked with extensively sent to the committee to be sent with the committee packet.

I was accepted also and I did not have a DO letter or a committee letter. I had two professors and my previous manager.

Thanks for the replies. So all I should need is my committee letter and maybe some experience shadowing a DO? I'm about a 3.4 GPA and a 28 MCAT(though I'm retaking mid-June and have been getting 31-34 on the AAMC MCAT practice tests exclusively), lots of shadowing and volunteer exerience. I was waitlisted with two med schools last year.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. So all I should need is my committee letter and maybe some experience shadowing a DO? I'm about a 3.4 GPA and a 28 MCAT(though I'm retaking mid-June and have been getting 31-34 on the AAMC MCAT practice tests exclusively), lots of shadowing and volunteer exerience. I was waitlisted with two med schools last year.

Get the MCAT up and write up great essays and you will be ok. Shadowing a DO would probably be good, although I did not know a DO in the area and did not shadow a DO, just several MDs in a variety of specialties.

Did anyone else get the UNTHSC Tuition Grant as part of their financial aid package? Is that a loan or more of a 'scholarship' (ie-we don't have to pay back the school)?

I'll be applying next summer (2011) and I was wondering if anybody has been accepted into their ROME program (Rural Osteopathic Medical Education of TX).

Here is the link: http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Ruralmed/rome/faqs.htm

I did a search but I didn't find anything about this specific program, just rural medicine in general. I'm very interested. Any opinions? Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere in this very long thread... :D

Did anyone else get the UNTHSC Tuition Grant as part of their financial aid package? Is that a loan or more of a 'scholarship' (ie-we don't have to pay back the school)?

Hey i did too, it's my understanding it's based on financial need so I don't think we pay it back, just money given to help with tuition.

Grants do not have to be paid back. Tis the nature of grants.