University of Washington c/o 2009 :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone!

I'll be living in West Seattle, which seems far except there's a really fast bus that picks up at the park and ride and drops off right in front of the med center. I used to take the bus to Fremont and bike on the burke-gilman to school, and the ride is so nice. Just make sure you lock up your bike well.

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed there are a number of married students on this thread. It's nice to know I won't be the only one tackling marriage woes as well as med school. Just curious, what adjustments are people making now that they're starting school again (assuming you've been out for a while)?

My husband and I have moved into his parents' home so that all of his income can pay for school. It has been kind of hard not being head of my own household, but we're still young so it's nice not having to cook and clean (and it doesn't hurt that he's Thai; I love Thai food!).

Thank goodness I have my family's support though, because it would be that much harder without it.

nanasbananas said:
I noticed there are a number of married students on this thread. It's nice to know I won't be the only one tackling marriage woes as well as med school. Just curious, what adjustments are people making now that they're starting school again (assuming you've been out for a while)?

My husband and I have moved into his parents' home so that all of his income can pay for school. It has been kind of hard not being head of my own household, but we're still young so it's nice not having to cook and clean (and it doesn't hurt that he's Thai; I love Thai food!).

Thank goodness I have my family's support though, because it would be that much harder without it.

I've been out of school now for maybe 2 years.. I'm a little nervous about re-learning how to study, especially since the majority of study time will be taking place during the evening when I could be spending time with my husband. The bonus, though, is that I don't have to work at my old job anymore! :D

It sounds like you have very cool in-laws nanas. :) I understand what you mean about not being head of your household. We moved in with my parents for about a month before moving to our new place. It was nice to get pampered though.. and it sounds like maybe you won't have any student loans then? :)

I'm really lucky that my husband is very supportive of my decision to go to med school. I keep apologizing for all the time I'll have to devote to studying, especially the weekends before concurrent exams. He just says he knows, is expecting it, and is looking forward to an early retirement once I'm established. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
MorningGlory said:
I forgot to mention.. my husband is actually thinking about going back to school to get a masters or a second degree to keep himself occupied and more marketable. Which is cool since he's thinking maybe biology and he could have a better idea of what I've been talking about for the last four years. ;)

I totally understand about not being able to talk biology/medicine with my husband. My favorite is trying to talk about proteins and explaining that they don't look like steak. :laugh:

Yeah, my in-laws are pretty cool and his whole family is very supportive. We started dating in high school, so they've known since then of my goals. It'll be that much less stressful to go through my residency (making next to nothing) and not have to worry about paying back loans.

At least we're at a really great and reasonably priced state school! :thumbup:

BTW, has anyone gotten their HIPAA login yet? The website says sometime in July, but I haven't received anything. Did they forget me?

nanasbananas said:
BTW, has anyone gotten their HIPAA login yet? The website says sometime in July, but I haven't received anything. Did they forget me?

"Sometime in July" is UW-speak for July 30th-August 15th.

...or at least, that's what it always feels like... :)

nanasbananas said:
I totally understand about not being able to talk biology/medicine with my husband. My favorite is trying to talk about proteins and explaining that they don't look like steak. :laugh:

Yeah, my in-laws are pretty cool and his whole family is very supportive. We started dating in high school, so they've known since then of my goals. It'll be that much less stressful to go through my residency (making next to nothing) and not have to worry about paying back loans.

At least we're at a really great and reasonably priced state school! :thumbup:

They emailed me the login info about two weeks ago. Maybe you should contact them.

Iwy Em Hotep said:
"Sometime in July" is UW-speak for July 30th-August 15th.

...or at least, that's what it always feels like... :)

I DID get the login about a week ago. I was able to complete the UW HIPAA training (took a LONG three hours for me), but I cannot seem to get the VA website to work, even after disabling pop-ups for that site.

As for being married, if the relationship is strong and stable, I see it as an advantage in that work that is required is divided. I'm actually commuting from GIG HARBOR! But what that will do is force me to have a couple of hours of study time during the day. Like law school, I will treat this like a job. I will get up early, start working, and when I get home, I'm home and I will give my attention to my husband and physical/mental health. The exception will be, of course, the night of exams when I'll be much more compulsive. :)

I cannot wait to meet you all very soon. I am so grateful for this opportunity...

Cheers,

NeuroSync

So it turns out Terry-the head of the curriculum development-had the wrong e-mail address on file for me. So it's a good thing I called! She sent me my info right away, then sent an e-mail requesting others who haven't gotten their HIPAA info to call her. Now, how does that work if she has the wrong e-mail on file for people who haven't gotten their hipaa stuff? How will they get the second e-mail? I don't know! If you're reading this right now and haven't gotten the HIPAA stuff, please call the admissions office!