University of Washington c/o 2009 :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MommyD231

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new to SDN but just checking out these class threads and noticed no thread for UW... So holla back all my future classmates if you are out there. :)

Members don't see this ad.

MommyD231 said:
Hi everyone! I am new to SDN but just checking out these class threads and noticed no thread for UW... So holla back all my future classmates if you are out there. :)

Looking forward to meet everyone in August as we embark on the next phase of our lives. (But not looking too far forward quite yet-there's still a lot of summer left to enjoy!)

MommyD231 said:

Hi MommyD231, welcome to SDN! We've had a pretty active thread in the Pre-Allo section labeled UWash adcom committee if you'd like to check it out. It's mostly been concerned with the competitive pool, waitlisted people, and acceptances. We haven't had an official UWash c/o 2009 yet so thanks for starting it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll second that... I was waiting for someone to start this thread. See you all in Seattle!

I am really looking forward to meeting everyone! Orientation should be interesting with the trip to the Port Townsend area and everything. But hey, does anyone know what our class schedule will be like, as in how many and what hours we are actually in class? Also, I thought I heard a rumor that we would be starting out taking only anatomy for part of the first quarter, does anyone know if this is true? On the day of the interview I was first up so I kinda skipped out early and missed the tour (since I work at the med center now) so I didn't have a chance to ask very many questions...

MommyD231 said:
I am really looking forward to meeting everyone! Orientation should be interesting with the trip to the Port Townsend area and everything. But hey, does anyone know what our class schedule will be like, as in how many and what hours we are actually in class? Also, I thought I heard a rumor that we would be starting out taking only anatomy for part of the first quarter, does anyone know if this is true? On the day of the interview I was first up so I kinda skipped out early and missed the tour (since I work at the med center now) so I didn't have a chance to ask very many questions...
According to a current MS1 at UW-Seattle, the first month of the first quarter will be devoted entirely to anatomy, with lecture/lab totaling approximately 8 hours per day M-Th (Fridays off?).

The remainder of the quarter will be devoted to the other standard first year courses (histology, biochem, ICM, and human behavior), and lectures/lab will continue totaling near 8 or 9 hours per day.

However, I imagine that the schedule details are still in flux, as they have not yet been posted to the orientation website.

Creatine said:
According to a current MS1 at UW-Seattle, the first month of the first quarter will be devoted entirely to anatomy, with lecture/lab totaling approximately 8 hours per day M-Th (Fridays off?).

The remainder of the quarter will be devoted to the other standard first year courses (histology, biochem, ICM, and human behavior), and lectures/lab will continue totaling near 8 or 9 hours per day.

However, I imagine that the schedule details are still in flux, as they have not yet been posted to the orientation website.

Guess that schedule isn't really conducive to working part time, is it? Is anyone else considering working during the school year for a little extra cash? My husband and I just bought a house and with mortgage payments added to med school, things are looking a little tight.

As a side note, I'm glad it sounds like we might be devoting the first month to anatomy. A nice way to ease into things .

Creatine said:

Crap, I can't believe they require PDAs, seems like nothing more than an extremely expensive toy. Anyone know anything about PDAs?

MorningGlory said:
As a side note, I'm glad it sounds like we might be devoting the first month to anatomy. A nice way to ease into things .

Word on the street is that the anatomy block is quite intensive. There won't be much "easing in".

Creatine said:

Hmm, there seems to be a big difference between the ~28 hours per week of lecture/lab described on the SOMOC website and the 8-9 hours you're talking about... Not that I'm saying you're wrong, just that I'd rather do the first one!

But as far as questions go, does anyone know exactly why we need a PDA for the first year???

Creatine said:
Word on the street is that the anatomy block is quite intensive. There won't be much "easing in".

I meant as opposed to trying to integrate different concepts with anatomy, a la biochem or whatever. Should be straight memorization, yes? Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. :rolleyes: In any case, still looking forward to it...for now. :)

WUcrewbie said:
But as far as questions go, does anyone know exactly why we need a PDA for the first year???

I can see how a PDA would be useful for 3rd and 4th, not so much the first two years. Maybe ICM?

WUcrewbie said:
Hmm, there seems to be a big difference between the ~28 hours per week of lecture/lab described on the SOMOC website and the 8-9 hours you're talking about... Not that I'm saying you're wrong, just that I'd rather do the first one!

I hope I'm wrong as well. Even 28 hours per week seems excessive. Three or four hours per day would be perfect.

Members don't see this ad :)
MorningGlory said:
I meant as opposed to trying to integrate different concepts with anatomy, a la biochem or whatever. Should be straight memorization, yes? Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. :rolleyes: In any case, still looking forward to it...for now. :)

There are certainly benefits to focusing intently on one subject at a time instead trying to juggle many different ones. On the other hand, I can also imagine how studying structures all day could become rather monotonous. In any case, sounds like a fun month living in the anatomy lab.

I'm confused about the PDA thing too... I called student affairs a few months ago and asked what we would be required to purchase and they only told me that laptops were required... Maybe I will call them back. I don't want to buy a PDA now I have enough expenses to worry about!

MommyD231 said:
I'm confused about the PDA thing too... I called student affairs a few months ago and asked what we would be required to purchase and they only told me that laptops were required... Maybe I will call them back. I don't want to buy a PDA now I have enough expenses to worry about!

It says on the website that it was required, and students have to get that program epocrates or something... this requirement is apparently recent since it wasn't required last year, only for 2005 entering class.

Anyway if anyone needs a laptop, Dell has $750 off of $1500 configured inspiron on Monday.
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?threadid=110688

Mary sent the incoming MS2 class the new email about PDAs this morning. I can confirm that you are NOT required to purchase a PDA, but SHOULD you choose to do so, you can get it paid for using financial aid money, like a computer.

Personal commentary: You don't need a PDA 1st year or (probably) 2nd year. My personal advice would be to get one at the end of 2nd year for use in the wards. The only electronic tools that I use at school are a cell phone and an iPod, neither of which has any academic use whatsoever. :)

Re: Anatomy - The SOMOC page has not been updated yet and is currently incorrect. It will be 8 hrs/day, M-H, for the first five weeks. Histo, SHB, Biochem, and ICM for the rest of the quarter.

Yeah, it's going to be rough. We tried to get it changed, honest. None of the first years wanted it this way, since we have to be your TAs. But what's done is done, and we're working on making it as painless as possible. I'm happy to take suggestions directly to the anatomy course chair.

Hi, everyone! I'm looking forward to orientation this fall. I was spazing out, thinking about studying SOMETHING this summer. But when I wasn't accepted to the prematriculation program, I fully embraced the idea of maximizing my fun instead. :)

I cannot wait to meet everyone. And Viet is right: the first month is going to be insane. But if that doesn't get everyone into study mode, nothing will. Also, once it's done, it's done and it will make the other classes easier. That is a serious memory load, though. EEEKS!

What's everyone doing this summer???

Iwy Em Hotep said:
Re: Anatomy - The SOMOC page has not been updated yet and is currently incorrect. It will be 8 hrs/day, M-H, for the first five weeks. Histo, SHB, Biochem, and ICM for the rest of the quarter.

Yeah, it's going to be rough. We tried to get it changed, honest. None of the first years wanted it this way, since we have to be your TAs. But what's done is done, and we're working on making it as painless as possible. I'm happy to take suggestions directly to the anatomy course chair.

Thanks for thinking of us anyway! :) Any idea on the number of hours per day for the second half of the quarter?

Also, as far as the CPR class goes.. does anyone have anything good/negative to say about the classes at Harborview vs. Cascade Training? The Cascade class is shorter, cheaper, and easier to park nearby; but I'd like to make sure we aren't getting shafted in the information as a result.

MorningGlory said:
Thanks for thinking of us anyway! :) Any idea on the number of hours per day for the second half of the quarter?

Also, as far as the CPR class goes.. does anyone have anything good/negative to say about the classes at Harborview vs. Cascade Training? The Cascade class is shorter, cheaper, and easier to park nearby; but I'd like to make sure we aren't getting shafted in the information as a result.

I was wondering the same thing... I wasn't able to find much info on the Harborview class, where did you find it?

MorningGlory said:
On paper, probably about 3-4.

Iwy Em Hotep said:
On paper, probably about 3-4.

In your estimation, what is the "off-paper" or actual number of hours of class time per day?

I know there are several MS1 text book posts up.. I was wondering if any MS2s at UW had any advice as to which books to buy/not to buy. I'd like to get them used on Amazon prior to heading out to school.

Thanks

Creatine said:
In your estimation, what is the "off-paper" or actual number of hours of class time per day?
Off-paper, probably 4-5.

JimmyPopAli said:
I know there are several MS1 text book posts up.. I was wondering if any MS2s at UW had any advice as to which books to buy/not to buy. I'd like to get them used on Amazon prior to heading out to school.

Thanks
You will all be assigned MS2 "big docs" who will guide you through the transition to medical school. They'll offer you advice and help you things like books and stuff.

But here are my personal recommendations for books for Autumn:

Anatomy:
Textbook - Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Moore and Dalley.
Atlas - Netter + Rohen
Dissecting Atlas - Grant's Atlas of Anatomy

Most people like Moore and Dalley. It's got lots of pictures and is a fairly easy read. Your other choice is Hollinshead's Textbook of Anatomy, which has more information but is much more verbose (i.e. no pictures).

I would suggest getting Netter for completeness and Rohen for seeing photographs of an actual cadaver. Grant's is probably required so that you can do dissections.

Histology:
Junqueira's Basic Histology is a good (and suggested) book. I personally didn't read it. Histology lectures are good and all of the assignments are online.

Biochemistry:
I'd get Lippincott's Biochem. It's in review format and is definitely handy to read. However, it does emphasize Winter biochem much more than Autumn biochem.

SHB:
Behavioral Science Made Ridiculously Simple by Seitz. Pure gold.

ICM:
Go to class. :)

Hey you guys! I'll also be at UW but got WWAMI'ed to the WSU/UI campus, so I'll see you all during 2nd year. But I'm doing the Premat program right now and am slowly trying to figure my way through the T-wing of the Health Sciences Building (it's a maze!).

All of us Prematers have also been confused by the laptop/PDA requirement and everyone we've talked to has been kind of wishy-washy in terms of when we need it. They just put in the PDA requirement this year and I think the budget for that is $200-300. They want us to get it for MS1 so we can become familar with it before the wards but I'm probably going to get it sometime during MS2. I already have a laptop but it doesn't have all the required criteria, not sure if I need to get a new one and don't really want to spend the extra money on one. I know a bunch of our classmates are planning on getting the Toshiba tablet PC for taking notes and such.

I'm really excited for school to start and hopefully I may meet some of you before going to WWAMI-land. I know that the Prematers are absolutely dying to meet the rest of our classmates!

Oh, and one more thing. If you sign up for an AMA membership, they give you a free Netter's Anatomy book. A lot of the MS2's said to not buy a Netter's b/c you'll be getting one anyways if you sign up for AMA.

sakura181 said:
Oh, and one more thing. If you sign up for an AMA membership, they give you a free Netter's Anatomy book. A lot of the MS2's said to not buy a Netter's b/c you'll be getting one anyways if you sign up for AMA.
The thing is that, to get a free Netter, you have to sign up for an AMSA (not AMA) membership and then apply for their credit card before you get the Netter.

MommyD231 said:
I was wondering the same thing... I wasn't able to find much info on the Harborview class, where did you find it?

Just off the pdf file on the website the orientation page sends you to. It gives a little course info, but not too much. There probably isn't too much difference between them.

I stand corrected :)

Iwy Em Hotep said:
The thing is that, to get a free Netter, you have to sign up for an AMSA (not AMA) membership and then apply for their credit card before you get the Netter.

sakura181 said:
I already have a laptop but it doesn't have all the required criteria, not sure if I need to get a new one and don't really want to spend the extra money on one. I know a bunch of our classmates are planning on getting the Toshiba tablet PC for taking notes and such.

what are the required criteria for our laptops? I am going to buy one soon.
Thanks!

jillenekc said:
Thanks!

All of the requirements were recently posted on the orientation page (pre-arrival requirements). There are some links to "special offers" with packages from Dell and HP.

I kind of like the tablet PC idea. I had something like that in grad school and it worked great! It was more like an early version of a cross between a handheld and a laptop, but they don't make what I had anymore. I could type or write (or a combination of the two) on the screen. It's nice to be able to insert drawings into the text of your notes. That will be particularly true in med school, I think.

jillenekc said:
Thanks!
Laptops are "required" only in the sense that, if you should decide to purchase one, the cost will be included in your financial aid budget. That being said, it would probably be a good idea to have some sort of computer, and a laptop may make it easier to give class presentations, look up information on the net in class, etc. The recommended configuration is given here.

NeuroSync said:
All of the requirements were recently posted on the orientation page (pre-arrival requirements). There are some links to "special offers" with packages from Dell and HP.

thanks for the info! I haven't checked the orientation site for awhile... looking forward to meeting you all! I'll be in MT first year.

A request for you all - throw some impressions you have/had of UW my way. I'm considering applying there, as I can see myself loving Seattle and the area, but its quite far from me (Maryland). So any feedback you feel like giving, here or PM will be appreciated :)

Creatine said:
Laptops are "required" only in the sense that, if you should decide to purchase one, the cost will be included in your financial aid budget.

That's intersting. I thought required meant REQUIRED. I was wondering how I was going to purchase something that I don't have the money for prior to being reimbursed. :) That is helpful information, Creatine. Thanks.

Iwy Em Hotep said:
You will all be assigned MS2 "big docs" who will guide you through the transition to medical school. They'll offer you advice and help you things like books and stuff.

But here are my personal recommendations for books for Autumn:

Thanks for all the advice Iwy Em Hotep.. I'm sure part of you is regretting posting on this thread since we're all bombarding you with questions now. :) In any case, would you mind answering a slightly silly question? For the anatomy block, what is the common attire? Scrubs? Lab coats? etc? I'm hoping scrubs so I can look forward to a month of not having to pick out clothes to wear every morning. :)

MorningGlory said:
Thanks for all the advice Iwy Em Hotep.. I'm sure part of you is regretting posting on this thread since we're all bombarding you with questions now. :) In any case, would you mind answering a slightly silly question? For the anatomy block, what is the common attire? Scrubs? Lab coats? etc? I'm hoping scrubs so I can look forward to a month of not having to pick out clothes to wear every morning. :)

hee hee one more question for Iwy Em Hotep... sorry... But I was just wondering what we should expect for the week of orientation?

MorningGlory said:
It doesn't really matter what you wear, since you'll be covered from neck to shins in a gown. Obviously, I wouldn't wear anything too nice, since it can get messy and whatever you wear will smell like cadaver juice for the rest of the day. :)

Oh, you probably need gloves and goggles. I highly suggest nitrile gloves, which are lighter and stronger than latex.

MommyD231 said:
hee hee one more question for Iwy Em Hotep... sorry... But I was just wondering what we should expect for the week of orientation?
Lots of listening to lectures and waiting in lines. Lots of time to chat with your future classmates. Orientation week really is a lot of fun, and the overnight is the best part. :)

Iwy Em Hotep said:
Lots of listening to lectures and waiting in lines. Lots of time to chat with your future classmates. Orientation week really is a lot of fun, and the overnight is the best part. :)

Which part was that, Iwy? Oh, yea, the square dancing. :laugh:

Do you know when they plan to post the autumn schedule? It sounds like things are going to start off at an unbelievable pace and then taper off to something more manageable.

Thank you for all of your help, Iwy. Everyone appreciates it a great deal. :)

NeuroSync said:
Which part was that, Iwy? Oh, yea, the square dancing. :laugh:

Do you know when they plan to post the autumn schedule? It sounds like things are going to start off at an unbelievable pace and then taper off to something more manageable.

Thank you for all of your help, Iwy. Everyone appreciates it a great deal. :)
Everyone mocks the square dancing. It's actually tons of fun! :) And it's a great ice-breaker too. You totally lose all inhibition in front of your classmates after that....

No idea about the autumn schedule. You pretty much know what it's going to be like. Don't stress too much about it. The best thing to do before starting med school is to get the rest of your life in order.

just out of curiosity, do y'all know where you will be living once school starts? i had a great place in the eastlake area with my boyfriend but we just broke up... :( i guess it's better it happens now than once i start school but it still sucks...

Cool. :) Guess this takes the place of a white coat ceremony which happens later?

MorningGlory said:
Cool. :) Guess this takes the place of a white coat ceremony which happens later?

I think the white coat ceremony happens between the second and third year so as to "mark our transition into clinical medicine." It's a bit odd though, we are the only med school I've heard of that does a stethoscope pres instead of a white coat ceremony... I wonder why?

WUcrewbie said:
I think the white coat ceremony happens between the second and third year so as to "mark our transition into clinical medicine." It's a bit odd though, we are the only med school I've heard of that does a stethoscope pres instead of a white coat ceremony... I wonder why?
Prolly cos a scope is 100x more useful than a white coat at this point. :) I never understood why schools did white coat ceremonies for entering students.

Block schedule is up on the web now in case anyone hasn't been obsessively checking every day like me. ;)

Man.. I'm starting to think two weeks of vacation before school starts is looking much better than 1 1/2 weeks.

That's, um, a lot of class...

Have a great summer everyone, better live it up while we can!!!

Hey guys

I was wondering where everyone will be living. My wife and I found an apartment in Wallingford near the Burke-Gilman trail. The apartment is twice as small and $200 more than our apartment in Spokane but I like the area and the fact that I can ride a bike to school.

Let me know where you're living and what you like, or dislike, about it.

See you soon