University of Southern Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, the GPA is what gets a person the interview; and a lot of people have the same GPA as I do but they won't all be accepted. Then after that, eventhough Dr. DeYoung said that the total points is the deciding factor, I think a lot of the final decision is based on the interview. If I did have a high chance of getting in, I don't think he would respond to me the way he did. In my opinion, it is a lot easier to reject someone via email than over the phone. So I don't think he would ask you to call him back just to reject you.

I keeping my hopes up for you though. Seems like you have a better chance than I do. Thanks for praying for me.

My interview didn't go well at all. It was on January 24. How about yours?

Mine was on Feb 3rd. I was so nervous and I said "thank you" alot. I mean alot. Stupid me.
I think I did ok on the interview because I answered all the question they asked but I didnt elaborate it much.
Well, we'll see. I'll let you know how it goes when I call him.
Dont loose hope. I'm sure you have a high chance getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

All he said to me was, "Our goal is to notify candidates of their final admission status in May."

So when I read about what he said to you and to springs, I knew my chances were gone. :(

He said the same thing with me :( I guess I have to wait 'till May to find out. Waiting is really killing me

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when they start giving out rejection letter?

My guess is that they are going out at the same time as the notification of the final admission status. People will either be accepted, waitlisted or rejected. That won't happen until the beginning of April at the earliest.

Hey, I emailed Dr. Deyoung to ask him about my admission status and he said that I should call him back on the 23 this month and he will be in a better status to talk about my status.
Is it a good sign or Im rejected already?
Do you think he reject people that early?
Please help, Im frustrated :scared::scared::scared:

So did he tell you that you have a good chance to get in? But don't let your hope down because if he wants to reject you, i doubt that he wants you to call him back that soon, you know. I think you really have a good chance to get in because he asks me to call him back after the 21 of this month also. But still he also said to me that he can't guarantee anything, so just call him back after 21, that's when he has more info to tell me. So I'm really nervous too.

Dr. DeYoung is really careful with his answer when you call. He doesn't want to give you too much hope nor discouraging you. I guess we just have to call him back or wait until May. The waiting is killing me, but oh well, there's nothing you can do or change now except for waiting.

Dr. DeYoung is really careful with his answer when you call. He doesn't want to give you too much hope nor discouraging you. I guess we just have to call him back or wait until May. The waiting is killing me, but oh well, there's nothing you can do or change now except for waiting.

Did he tell you to call him back? What did he say to you?

Did anyone call or email Dr. Deyoung? Did he tell you to contact him back and when?

Why are you guys calling USN? If they were ready to give you your application status I'm sure they would give it to you.

Once again, if you were not offered acceptance shortly after your interview you must wait until all interviews are completed for further review of your application. They will notify you.

Did anyone call or email Dr. Deyoung? Did he tell you to contact him back and when?
I called Dr. Deyoung today and he said he won't be able to tell me anything until May since they are interviewing till end of this month. I am nervous.

So did he tell you that you have a good chance to get in? But don't let your hope down because if he wants to reject you, i doubt that he wants you to call him back that soon, you know. I think you really have a good chance to get in because he asks me to call him back after the 21 of this month also. But still he also said to me that he can't guarantee anything, so just call him back after 21, that's when he has more info to tell me. So I'm really nervous too.

No he didn't say i have a good chance or not. I didnt speak to him, I emailed him. He only told me to feel free to call him back so he will be in a much better position to talk about my admission status. I hope its a good sign. I guess he would say more if I have called him. But we'll find out soon.

I started reading SDN about USN recently when I got an interview invitation. I read about the block system, could you tell me how many classes total per year? and do you have Spring break at all? Thanks.

BTW, I saw the ID badges for the students and faculties and employees .... it's good for security system and monitoring, but ... does that mean there were incidences that happened before? like a crime on campus, maybe?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I started reading SDN about USN recently when I got an interview invitation. I read about the block system, could you tell me how many classes total per year? and do you have Spring break at all? Thanks.

BTW, I saw the ID badges for the students and faculties and employees .... it's good for security system and monitoring, but ... does that mean there were incidences that happened before? like a crime on campus, maybe?
I don't think crime is the reason people have badges, I used to work in the hospital in a very safe area in Houston. We had badges to open every single door so they can check who is gonig where and what is doing, thats it. For internal safety in pahrmacy since we have lots of medications, and even in colleges since they have chemicals they want to stay on top of eveything. To me it looks like very good idea to have badges.
Also they have vacations in summer.

I don't think crime is the reason people have badges, I used to work in the hospital in a very safe area in Houston. We had badges to open every single door so they can check who is gonig where and what is doing, thats it. For internal safety in pahrmacy since we have lots of medications, and even in colleges since they have chemicals they want to stay on top of eveything. To me it looks like very good idea to have badges.
Also they have vacations in summer.

I see, good reasons you have there! Now I'm less worrying about that, thanks to you. (I got that crime idea b/c I was reading the student handbook ..hahhaa.. feel much better now though)

hey everyone my interview is on march 31st. :) i heard there's an interview page link?? Any advise?? I'm soooo nervous YET so excited :)

AzLittleChicken,

This is how the block system works: The whole class will be studying the same topic for about 2 weeks then the class will have an assessment for that topic. The assessment is on every other Friday. There's a Pass or No Pass on the assessment. There's no grade A, B, C, D given. The Pass is 90% of the score. On Fri, you can be 85% on your own test because you will have 5% from the team's assessment. The team has to be above 95% for you to receive 5% help from the team. But if you are below 85% on your own test on Fri, even with 5% from the team, you're still below 90% and that's a NO PASS. You have come back on the following Mon to retest and on Mon, there's no team's point (5%). So you have to make 90% on Mon to PASS. If you don't make it on Mon, then you have another chance in Summer to test that block one more time. In summer, you'll have one week to restudy and retest the failed block. The first six weeks of summer are reserved to do community practice intern. The second six weeks are for you to relax. So if you have failed block, you have less time to enjoy your summer.

For 1st yr, there are 17 assessments for the main topics, 2 assessments for Communication block, and 5 tests for Calculation block.

We have TWO days for Spring Break.

Hope these answer your questions. Good luck to you All!

SJ2011

How many of you guys played ping pong with the current students? I know I did. ;)

How many of you guys played ping pong with the current students? I know I did. ;)

hey rycetrix
i just noticed we had interviews on the same day for both USN and UCSF :)
how did your interview go?
i hope we both get in :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

edited

Last edited:
Congratulations to those who interviewed yesterday (3-17-09) and those who received an acceptance call from Dr. D. I was able to interview some of you, and I am thoroughly impressed with all of you. Good luck to you guys and hope to see you all next year.

Btw, those who are interview, please remember to breath...:)

So you know who is getting in right away and who is going to have to wait? I always assumed that you just submitted your scores and then they kept you in the dark.

hey rycetrix
i just noticed we had interviews on the same day for both USN and UCSF :)
how did your interview go?
i hope we both get in :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I think my interview went well despite me being a little sick. The faculty and the students were really nice and it was one of my more relaxing interviews. How was your interview atlantisx714?

Congratulations to those who interviewed yesterday (3-17-09) and those who received an acceptance call from Dr. D. I was able to interview some of you, and I am thoroughly impressed with all of you. Good luck to you guys and hope to see you all next year.

Btw, those who are interview, please remember to breath...:)

so people already got an acceptance call today? :eek:

I think my interview went well despite me being a little sick. The faculty and the students were really nice and it was one of my more relaxing interviews. How was your interview atlantisx714?

Despite blanking out on one of the situational questions, I think I did fine....at least that's what my student interviewer told me....but I couldn't really tell if my faculty interviewer liked me or my answers...she cracked a smile once or twice but during the rest of the time, she was unemotional....I know I am overanalyzing but I really want to go to this school :D
Btw, Dr.DeYoung was awesome! The way he carried himself wants you to go to this school even more!:thumbup:

Despite blanking out on one of the situational questions, I think I did fine....at least that's what my student interviewer told me....but I couldn't really tell if my faculty interviewer liked me or my answers...she cracked a smile once or twice but during the rest of the time, she was unemotional....I know I am overanalyzing but I really want to go to this school :D
Btw, Dr.DeYoung was awesome! The way he carried himself wants you to go to this school even more!:thumbup:
Hey atlantisx714,
did you interview on 3-17 ???Who did you interview with?

hey guys, i interviewed on March 17, and i had Dr j. Frick. someone got him too, and my interview was only 15 minutes.....so, i dont know.....help me guys.....please

Hi Mr. Blah. My name is Amy and I will be applying to USN come September. I have been reading the current (and last year's posts) to see what is in store for me come this time next year. :) From what I can tell it will be one part waiting to two parts stress. Good times!

Anyway, I have been looking at the class schedule for P1, P2, and P3 to try and get a feel for what each year's classes will consist of and what actual class prep will require.

Was wondering if you could tell me, as a current pharmacy student, how much inorganic chemistry you do on average, how often you are using organic chemistry, what level of math you are utilizing: and if it is algebra or higher. Is class study more like the requirements of A&P which involve reading comprehension and the ability to remember large quantities of information or more like general chemistry, with the ability to solve complex problems? Do you find yourself using statistics in classes?

I am sure different classes require different things so I am not asking for any type of an absolute answer just an idea of what the skill sets are that you really use in pharmacy school on a regular basis.

Also, was curious to find out what you think average study habits are like in each two week block. I believe I read that class is in session from 8 to 4 Monday through Thursday. How many hours outside of class would you say that the average student needs to study? Given the typical 2 to 3 hours of study suggested per hour of class time that would make outside study about 60 to 90 hours a week which seems not possible. I would love to know what you think average study time for the average student (which you are not....I know:p) is outside of class.

Thanks for the help!

hey guys, i interviewed on March 17, and i had Dr j. Frick. someone got him too, and my interview was only 15 minutes.....so, i dont know.....help me guys.....please

Hey I interviewed with him too, and mine was only 15 minutes. He was very serious, and it seriously made me think like I was horrible. I feel like I didn't do so well; I was nervous!!!!!

Did you ask questions? I think mine would have lasted about 15 minutes but my questions stretched it out for another 10 minutes or so.

Hey I interviewed with him too, and mine was only 15 minutes. He was very serious, and it seriously made me think like I was horrible. I feel like I didn't do so well; I was nervous!!!!!
.....yeah....i think it is going to be hard for us to receive calls from Dr Deyoung.....lol....for me he smiled sometimes but still I think my answers were too short....i introduced myself in 2 lines....
hey...i am rtd 1309....and i originatelly from cameroon, africa....he looked at me like....

AzLittleChicken,

For 1st yr, there are 17 assessments for the main topics, 2 assessments for Communication block, and 5 tests for Calculation block.

We have TWO days for Spring Break.

Hope these answer your questions. Good luck to you All!

SJ2011

Thanks, if everyone can do this, I can do it, too!

However, I noticed that you'll have the end of year assessment. Do you have a period of time reviewing for it? like a week or so? I know you already studied the material, but with the accumulation of all these 17 classes or so, I doubt that you'll remember them all !

Thanks again. BTW, as long as you pass Monday Assessment, you'll be fine? no bad record?

Hey, I emailed Dr. Deyoung to ask him about my admission status and he said that I should call him back on the 23 this month and he will be in a better status to talk about my status.
Is it a good sign or Im rejected already?
Do you think he reject people that early?
Please help, Im frustrated :scared::scared::scared:

Hey don't get frustrated, he must have told that because there is there one interview day remaining and thats the last one i think. I just called the office. So may be after that he will be able to tell you that you have got in may be. Just be positive

.....yeah....i think it is going to be hard for us to receive calls from Dr Deyoung.....lol....for me he smiled sometimes but still I think my answers were too short....i introduced myself in 2 lines....
hey...i am rtd 1309....and i originatelly from cameroon, africa....he looked at me like....

lol...I started of fine, but then talked a lot lol.... I felt like i had to say so much, but then at the end I think half of it was unecessary. They were extremely nice though...I dont think im getting in though..........

Do you know if anyone else interviewed with him and got in??????

oi I dont know, I just got my interview today with Mr. Deyoung, and I mess up the teamwork situation!!! and I heard that teamwork is very important right? I wonder if I can still have chance to get in???

oi I dont know, I just got my interview today with Mr. Deyoung, and I mess up the teamwork situation!!! and I heard that teamwork is very important right? I wonder if I can still have chance to get in???

I'm sure you did great :) I have my interview on the 31st of this month :scared: Any advise you could give me; i would be most appreciative :oops:

I messed up the academic integrity question and still got in so I think you can still get a spot if they like you.

Hello Springs, have you called Dr. Deyoung to ask about your status yet? What did he tell you? Can you share with us? Thank you!

Hello Springs, have you called Dr. Deyoung to ask about your status yet? What did he tell you? Can you share with us? Thank you!

I haven't called Dr. DeYoung yet because he told me to call him after the 21th. So I plan to call him on Tuesday. I'm real nervous though:scared:. I don't know what kind of answer he is going to give me. But well let hope for the best. And I will share with you whenever I call him. :luck:

I haven't called Dr. DeYoung yet because he told me to call him after the 21th. So I plan to call him on Tuesday. I'm real nervous though:scared:. I don't know what kind of answer he is going to give me. But well let hope for the best. And I will share with you whenever I call him. :luck:

Pls let me know too. I have been waiting too long.

He said he has faculty retreat on the 23 and 24th, so he wont be able to return any phone call on those days. I think you better call him on the 25th.

Hey don't get frustrated, he must have told that because there is there one interview day remaining and thats the last one i think. I just called the office. So may be after that he will be able to tell you that you have got in may be. Just be positive

Thanks. Im trying to stay positive. It's hard...
I hope for a good news.

My friend just got a call accepted from the school 15 minutes ago :thumbup:,
i am still waiting, Man, this is killing me :(

Dr. DeYoung did return my phone call today. He said that I need to hang in there cause I have a good chance to get in. He will call me back around the middle of April that when all the interviews are done. That's all I got from him. Don't know if it means good or bad. But well I am all prepared for the worst. So good luck to you all and try to stay positive. :p:luck:

To those who are waiting, including myself.
Mid April is not that far away yall, only 3 more weeks. We've been waiting for months, there's no reason we can't wait for another 3 weeks. Anyways, I wish we all good luck. Stay positive!

Dr. DeYoung did return my phone call today. He said that I need to hang in there cause I have a good chance to get in. He will call me back around the middle of April that when all the interviews are done. That's all I got from him. Don't know if it means good or bad. But well I am all prepared for the worst. So good luck to you all and try to stay positive. :p:luck:

That's a good sign, Springs. My interview was also on Feb. 03, and I emailed to Dr. Deyoung one week ago but he said that he can only let me know about my status on May 15. So, don't worry too much and just stay positive. Good luck to all of us who are still waiting!

Last edited:
I just got the call tonight I will be seeing all the south jordan folks in the fall. I interviewed on the 24th of january, good luck to everyone else who is waiting I was in the same boat as the rest of you 5 mins ago.

I interviewed 2/3, got the call from Dr. DeYoung yesterday morning (while buying soda in a theater, so unexpected!)

I got in to another school though, so I declined the offer. GOOD LUCK to you all who plan to go here for sure!!