University of Southern Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was being a bit harsh. I believe that most people just read too much into the questions, or try to give us answers that they think we want to hear, or they go off-tangent. You probably wont believe it, but the best answers are usually sincere and simple responses that demonstrate to me who you are.

Other times, people say the dumbest things, especially when it comes to ethical questions, i think mainly its due to the fact that they aren't seeing these questions from a healthcare perspective. They look at it from previous experiences in undergrad or from work. Other times, they think there is a grey area or they give us a safe answer, which if there ever was a wrong answer, it would be those answers in response to a ethical question. I want them to stick to their guns and tell me why. Well, actually there are wrong answers, such as letting someone steal, not turning cheaters in...etc.

Other times, we just don't understand a word the applicant is saying.

There is a lot of variables that can make or break your interview. I think 1 out of 5 do well on the interviews. I won't comment on the others :p

P.S. even if you did bad, USN doesn't outright reject you. They just hold off til the end of the year, which is actually a good thing because its like a second chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Ha, I knew I was giving a wrong answer. I knew what the correct answer was supposed to be but I couldn't bring myself to lie and say what they wanted to hear.

Wow, I just got a call from Dr. Deyoung for an interview invite. I thought interview invite were email only. I was shocked. He offer Mar. 17 and Mar. 31..both Tuesday. My sci gpa is 3.6, so I am assuming the gpa gap is going down from the 4.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I just got a call from Dr. Deyoung for an interview invite. I thought interview invite were email only. I was shocked. He offer Mar. 17 and Mar. 31..both Tuesday. My sci gpa is 3.6, so I am assuming the gpa gap is going down from the 4.0.

Congrats. Read Mr. Blah's post about simple, sincere answers and I'm sure you will do fine.

I assume this means you got some good news today?! Congratulations! :D

Thank you. I'm telling everybody that it was my mention of playing Rock Band that put me over the top. It probably isn't true but I like the sound of it.

Thank you. I'm telling everybody that it was my mention of playing Rock Band that put me over the top. It probably isn't true but I like the sound of it.

NOW I know where I went wrong! Had I only mentioned my skill with the little plastic guitar....:laugh:

Diastole: when was your interview date? OMG, everyone starts getting accepted. I feel bad about myself:(

Diastole: when was your interview date? OMG, everyone starts getting accepted. I feel bad about myself:(

I interviewed March 7. Here is the way it seems to be working. They accept a few people after each interview date a few days after the fact. If you don't hear from them within about a week, I think it means that you have to wait until interviews are complete. They will fill the rest of the slots then so there is still hope. The last interview date seems to be March 31 but I'm not sure about that. Dr. DeYoung said that they will get together in early April and decide if they have enough qualified applicants to hand out all the seats. If they are satisfied, the admission invites will go out after that. If they feel they need to see more people, they will open another round of interviews.

Expect to see a few more acceptances after each new interview date. It does not mean you aren't going to get in so no need to feel bad. It is way too early to give up hope. Good luck.

Diastole,
Congrats!!!! I got a call the same day too. I also interviewed on March 7th. Who did you interview with?

Diastole,
Congrats!!!! I got a call the same day too. I also interviewed on March 7th. Who did you interview with?

I interviewed with Dr. Coffman. I was a little surprised when I realized I was interviewing with the Dean but then I figured that she would certainly be a good judge on whether I fit into the program. Even if I got rejected, I thought I was getting a fair shake.

Congrats to you too!

I got invited for an interview... but it'll be on the 19th of march in utah! I'm extremely nervous!!!!

Are you taking the bus there? I have an interview on the same day at the same campus you do. Maybe we can chat and interview each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
HI everyone, I just received a call from Dr. De Young for an interview!!!! yay. Even though I wish it was an acceptance, I'm still very excited!!!! What Im worry now is how to get there from the airport!!! I meant the cheapest way!!! I dn't think I can drive a car out of the airport safely =) what are my choices here?

HI everyone, I just received a call from Dr. De Young for an interview!!!! yay. Even though I wish it was an acceptance, I'm still very excited!!!! What Im worry now is how to get there from the airport!!! I meant the cheapest way!!! I dn't think I can drive a car out of the airport safely =) what are my choices here?

what day is your interview?

diastole,
Did Dr. DeYoung say how many people have been interviewed so far?

Don't worry, it doesn't take that long to get to the school from the airport. It will cost you about 25-30 dollars if you take taxi. I didn't see any bus stop that is close to the school though.

diastole,
Did Dr. DeYoung say how many people have been interviewed so far?

I don't think he did. He didn't say how many spots are filled either. He didn't really get into exact numbers except to say how many applicants there were and that there were more than 1000 people who would love to trade places with the interviewees that day.

congrats! Who did you interview with?

I interviewed with Dr. Mandal. Some of the current students told me he was difficult to please because he is super serious, but he was really nice. Have you gone to the interview yet?

I interviewed with Dr. Coffman. I was a little surprised when I realized I was interviewing with the Dean but then I figured that she would certainly be a good judge on whether I fit into the program. Even if I got rejected, I thought I was getting a fair shake.

Congrats to you too!

So will you be part of the graduating class of 2012 at USN or still undecided?

I interviewed with Dr. Mandal. Some of the current students told me he was difficult to please because he is super serious, but he was really nice. Have you gone to the interview yet?

I interviewed with Dr. Mandal also, on the same day with you, Maybe I saw you there. I think he is okay, however, I did not response very well, I was so nervous at the time. I'm praying now. Pray for me
:p

I interviewed with Dr. Mandal also! It was back in february though. I was REALLY lucky to get him. His personality really matched mine. Students also told me he was a hard interviewer, but all I remember was that there was a lot of laughing and smiles....and a couple of serious moments....but nonetheless I had fun and am really appreciative that I had him as interviewer.

what day is your interview?
Last day of march ^_^ I hope you have same date?
I have a question to those who did the interview. I did some researches and seem like we need to work as a team to solve problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what advices would you guys pass down to us?? stick together? hold hand? and pray maybe?

Last edited:
I interviewed with Dr. Mandal also, on the same day with you, Maybe I saw you there. I think he is okay, however, I did not response very well, I was so nervous at the time. I'm praying now. Pray for me :p
user_offline.gif

I was so nervous I forgot what I had prepared, my mind just went blank! This caused all my answers to be simple, and very genuine. I thought I did horrible in my interview due to my answers. I was soo down on myself, until I got the call four day's later! For once in my life "anxiety" paid off!

I had Dr. Mandal, january 20th. He was super serious, but he was great, I really clicked with him. Sure enough I got the call a few days after my interview. =)

Last day of march ^_^ I hope you have same date?
I have a question to those who did the interview. I did some researches and seem like we need to work as a team to solve problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what advices would you guys pass down to us?? stick together? hold hand? and pray maybe?

Try to relax. It really isn't as bad as you think it will be. The only reason why I got any sleep the night before was because we ordered a pitcher of margaritas and it was way bigger than I thought it would be. After drinking more than I normally would, I fell into a sound sleep when I got back to the hotel. The alcohol wore off about 1:30 am and I didn't get a bit of sleep after that.

Come to think of it, this is good advice. Drink copious amounts of alcohol so you can get a good nights sleep. Just don't overdo it and get a hangover. :laugh:

OTIS9347
I was so nervous I forgot what I had prepared, my mind just went blank! This caused all my answers to be simple, and very genuine. I thought I did horrible in my interview due to my answers. I was soo down on myself, until I got the call four day's later! For once in my life "anxiety" paid off![/quote]

Thanks for sharing, congrats! :thumbup:

did anyone interview with Dr.Barclay ?

I was interviewed with Dr. Oesterman, I thought I did well on the interview but as a senior member mentioned that Dr. Deyoung was making calls Broke my heart since I haven't recieve any call. I am not staying away from my phone for a minute and keep checking it.
I wonder how to answer the questions, I was very calm, had a perfect interview( atleast I thought I did) 4.0 GPA and no call. The waiting is killing me now. My interview was on 7th. Is there anyone had interview with Dr. Oesterman and haven't recieve call?

I like the college very much and really want to attend usn since only 3yrs.

I was being a bit harsh. I believe that most people just read too much into the questions, or try to give us answers that they think we want to hear, or they go off-tangent. You probably wont believe it, but the best answers are usually sincere and simple responses that demonstrate to me who you are.

Other times, people say the dumbest things, especially when it comes to ethical questions, i think mainly its due to the fact that they aren't seeing these questions from a healthcare perspective. They look at it from previous experiences in undergrad or from work. Other times, they think there is a grey area or they give us a safe answer, which if there ever was a wrong answer, it would be those answers in response to a ethical question. I want them to stick to their guns and tell me why. Well, actually there are wrong answers, such as letting someone steal, not turning cheaters in...etc.

Other times, we just don't understand a word the applicant is saying.

There is a lot of variables that can make or break your interview. I think 1 out of 5 do well on the interviews. I won't comment on the others :p

P.S. even if you did bad, USN doesn't outright reject you. They just hold off til the end of the year, which is actually a good thing because its like a second chance.
Were you one of the student who were interviewing us, if yes can you please share more stuff on how to answer the questions.

:oops:congrats to all got accepted for fall 2009 at usn! I am still waiting for the call form Dr. DeYoung. But I did call him like two weeks ago to ask about my status and he said that i got a good chance to get in this year, but i still don't know why i haven't heard anything from him since then. I am really worried. Don't know if it a good thing or not. Is there anyone in the same situation as me?:(

:oops:congrats to all got accepted for fall 2009 at usn! I am still waiting for the call form Dr. DeYoung. But I did call him like two weeks ago to ask about my status and he said that i got a good chance to get in this year, but i still don't know why i haven't heard anything from him since then. I am really worried. Don't know if it a good thing or not. Is there anyone in the same situation as me?:(

I am !! I have been waiting since feb 17 :scared: and it is killing me, hopefully we will hear some good news!!!

I was interviewed with Dr. Oesterman, I thought I did well on the interview but as a senior member mentioned that Dr. Deyoung was making calls Broke my heart since I haven't recieve any call. I am not staying away from my phone for a minute and keep checking it.
I wonder how to answer the questions, I was very calm, had a perfect interview( atleast I thought I did) 4.0 GPA and no call. The waiting is killing me now. My interview was on 7th. Is there anyone had interview with Dr. Oesterman and haven't recieve call?

Same here, my interview was on January 20th, still waiting for call.

Hey guys, did anybody else who was interviewed on march 7th, hear from Dr.deyoung ?

That's a really good sign. I doubt he would tell you that if he didn't think you had a good shot of getting in. If I had to guess, I bet you will get an invite as soon as interviews are over. Of course, I have no idea what will happen but that does sound positive.

;)Thank you for your opinions. Hopefully I will receive a call from Dr. DeYoung soon. The waiting is really killing me, haha. But I guess I'm not the only one who is waiting. Hopefully I hear some good news in the next few days. Wish you all best also. :love::luck:

:DAnd by the way, does anyone know when will all the interviews be over? :idea:

:DAnd by the way, does anyone know when will all the interviews be over? :idea:

I think the last one is scheduled for March 31 but they may open up another round if they feel like they need to hear from more people.

Hey, I emailed Dr. Deyoung to ask him about my admission status and he said that I should call him back on the 23 this month and he will be in a better status to talk about my status.
Is it a good sign or Im rejected already?
Do you think he reject people that early?
Please help, Im frustrated :scared::scared::scared:

Hello,
Has anyone who had interview with Dr. Paul Osterman got any call yet. I had Dr. Paul for my interview and still waiting. How did you guys feel about the interview overall. Thanks for any sharing

Hey, I emailed Dr. Deyoung to ask him about my admission status and he said that I should call him back on the 23 this month and he will be in a better status to talk about my status.
Is it a good sign or Im rejected already?
Do you think he reject people that early?
Please help, Im frustrated :scared::scared::scared:

That sounds a lot better than what he said to me. Seems like you have a good chance of getting accepted. If you do call him back on the 23, would you let us know how it went?

SDN is a great source, but do you know where else can I do more researches on pharmaceutical materials?

That sounds a lot better than what he said to me. Seems like you have a good chance of getting accepted. If you do call him back on the 23, would you let us know how it went?

Sure I will.
What did he say to you? Do you mind sharing? I'm very nervous

Sure I will.
What did he say to you? Do you mind sharing? I'm very nervous

All he said to me was, "Our goal is to notify candidates of their final admission status in May."

So when I read about what he said to you and to springs, I knew my chances were gone. :(

All he said to me was, "Our goal is to notify candidates of their final admission status in May."

So when I read about what he said to you and to springs, I knew my chances were gone. :(

What is your status? Mine is 3.7 and I think I did ok on the interview. I dont think I nailed it at all. I dont think it will be a good new. Maybe I'll get rejected because he knows my status is not competitive enough :(((

What is your status? Mine is 3.7 and I think I did ok on the interview. I dont think I nailed it at all. I dont think it will be a good new. Maybe I'll get rejected because he knows my status is not competitive enough :(((

I would much rather have the email response he gave to you instead of what he gave to me. Mine doesn't sound positive at all. I have a 4.0 science and 3.89 cumulative.

I would much rather have the email response he gave to you instead of what he gave to me. Mine doesn't sound positive at all. I have a 4.0 science and 3.89 cumulative.

You have a very good chance. I think he hasnt given out your admission status yet because he wants to see how the last interview goes. Your GPA is high. you'll get in. How did you do on your interview? When was your interview.
Dont loose hope. I'll pray for you too.

You have a very good chance. I think he hasnt given out your admission status yet because he wants to see how the last interview goes. Your GPA is high. you'll get in. How did you do on your interview? When was your interview.
Dont loose hope. I'll pray for you too.

Well, the GPA is what gets a person the interview; and a lot of people have the same GPA as I do but they won't all be accepted. Then after that, eventhough Dr. DeYoung said that the total points is the deciding factor, I think a lot of the final decision is based on the interview. If I did have a high chance of getting in, I don't think he would respond to me the way he did. In my opinion, it is a lot easier to reject someone via email than over the phone. So I don't think he would ask you to call him back just to reject you.

I keeping my hopes up for you though. Seems like you have a better chance than I do. Thanks for praying for me.

My interview didn't go well at all. It was on January 24. How about yours?