University of Nevada c/o 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DrRaman82 said:
Does anyone know about putting a deposit down at UNSOM by May 15? I've heard nothing about having to do this. All I did was accept their offer by written letter.

I've e-mailed Linda Marshall, so I'll tell you all what she says once I hear back from her.

Members don't see this ad.

kwc1979 said:
Mine sent me an email late last week. We actually went to high school together but were a year or two a part. I am gonna try to go to lunch with when she gets back to Vegas later this month. She seemed really helpful and willing to answer any of my questions...which is a huge plus in my book. I am still not sure where I want to go. I was all set to drop my other school (Drexel) for Nevada this week while staying on the other waitlists when I ran into this doctor at Valley Hospital in Vegas who told me absolutely not to go to Nevada. She was so adament in her feelings that it scared me all over again! That being said, my parents are really putting a ton of pressure on me to go to Nevada. I hate this decision!!!
6 days to decide!!!

Why don't you call your big sib again and talk to her about whatever that Dr. at Valley said? I have a friend in a similar situation (she's been accepted to Drexel and her state med school in AL), and she's very torn as well. You can always to the list of pros and cons for each school and see where it leaves you. Even though I felt that Penn State had a better program, making that list for myself helped me to choose UNSOM.

Good luck, and be sure to tell us what you decide.

Hey Guys,

There is no deposit required to hold your spot at UNSOM; all that is needed is the written letter. I spoke to LM about this awhile ago, and she eagerly explained that while other schools may charge a hefty deposit, UNSOM is somewhat unique in this regard.

I can't say I'm surprised at all about this based on their low tuition....

HTH,

Medfish

DrRaman82 said:
Does anyone know about putting a deposit down at UNSOM by May 15? I've heard nothing about having to do this. All I did was accept their offer by written letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I did it. I withdrew from Drexel a couple of minutes ago. So as of now, I am going to Nevada. I am gonna stay on a couple of waitlists so I am not 100% positive that I am going there but for now, I am! I kept flipping back and forth because it seemed like half the doctors I have spoken to are so against UNSOM and the other half say it doesn't matter where you go. Last night, an anesthesiologist lectured me to go to Nevada. I guess it did the trick. To be honest, picking a school seems pretty anti-climatic after this really long application process!

Hey I just wanted to roll back in to congratulate you all on UNSOM! :) :) You've made a great choice. Maybe I'll see you in residency. I've promised myself that I WILL get out of Texas someday ;) I'm just not ready yet i guess. Good luck to you all and congrats again.

samwich said:
Thanks a lot for taking the time to ferrit out our thread. I think it was on, what, page 12? I hadn't considered doing a rotation of my top choice for residency. That's good advice.

Re: Orientation, etc. I got the e-mail address my MS-1 (soon to be MS-2) "big sib". I haven't contacted her yet. Have any of you got in touch with yours?

Also, Ambs, I noticed that you've been accepted to Wisconsin. Personally, if I were you, I'd go there. That school is incredible. Also, I saw your thread about your first day off in a year (!?!). What do you do? My first thought was a "The Devil Wears Prada"-esque situation.

Hi samwich!

Yeah, I withdrew from UNSOM about a month or so ago, and I was deciding between University of Wisconsin and OHSU. It was probably one of the hardest decisions I've ever made. I ended up choosing OHSU. They're both great schools, but I felt happier at OHSU during my interviews. OHSU seemed to fit in every way.

I work at a pretty busy clinic, and the reason I didn't have any "real" days off was because I used all my days for interviews. That left me with no actual days off to do nothing or to do something of my liking. Finally, I was able to take last Friday off, and it felt really good.

Have fun at UNSOM!

Best,

Ambs

Hey guys,
I know the theme of waitlist movement after May 15 has been rehashed over and over again, and I don't know if anyone here can really help since I think I'm the only one posting here who's on the waitlist. But! I'm tired of being in limbo on this one and while I'm stuck deciding on two very different schools, I feel like I need to get into UNR before I can force myself to really make a decision. So I have two questions: 1. has anyone heard about any movement? and 2. how do they get back to you? Do I need to be checking my email every 30 seconds? (oh wait, I do anyway...) And how much time will they give me to decide???! *panicked*
Can I kidnap someone's big sibling/mentor person thingy and ask them millions of questions?

BravaItaliana said:
Hey guys,
I know the theme of waitlist movement after May 15 has been rehashed over and over again, and I don't know if anyone here can really help since I think I'm the only one posting here who's on the waitlist. But! I'm tired of being in limbo on this one and while I'm stuck deciding on two very different schools, I feel like I need to get into UNR before I can force myself to really make a decision. So I have two questions: 1. has anyone heard about any movement? and 2. how do they get back to you? Do I need to be checking my email every 30 seconds? (oh wait, I do anyway...) And how much time will they give me to decide???! *panicked*
Can I kidnap someone's big sibling/mentor person thingy and ask them millions of questions?

I have no idea. If I were you, I would call Linda Marshall and see what you can squeeze out of her. I would wager that she will be vague but it's bound to be better than nothing. Hopefully, she can at least give you a date or something when they will review the waitlist pile again.

But I would also think that you are probably in good shape. The class size is so small they probably don't waitlist too many people. Have you written a letter of intent? Called your interviewers? I know they sit on the committee. Good luck!

Hey guys,

Did everyone get that packet yesterday? I actually thought it was a pretty good one...although I was hoping they were going to take us white water rafting or something during orientation....but it looks like they have a pretty good set up for us for the first couple of days. It will be nice to get to know one another before starting classes. Just out of curiousity, where are you all from? Where did you go to undergrad? How old are you? Male/female? Since seeing the class demographics, I am curious to see which of us are on SDN. Also, anyone know what they are doing on housing yet?

I'll start: I am a girl, 25 years old, living in Vegas, and went to UPenn. I still don't know what I am doing for housing yet, but will probably head up to Reno for a day next week to start looking.

kwc1979 said:
Hey guys,

Did everyone get that packet yesterday? I actually thought it was a pretty good one...although I was hoping they were going to take us white water rafting or something during orientation....but it looks like they have a pretty good set up for us for the first couple of days. It will be nice to get to know one another before starting classes. Just out of curiousity, where are you all from? Where did you go to undergrad? How old are you? Male/female? Since seeing the class demographics, I am curious to see which of us are on SDN. Also, anyone know what they are doing on housing yet?

I'll start: I am a girl, 25 years old, living in Vegas, and went to UPenn. I still don't know what I am doing for housing yet, but will probably head up to Reno for a day next week to start looking.

I liked that packet a lot. Particularly all the different student groups that are available. I also liked seeing the demographics for our incoming class. Since I went to the University of Montana, I'm looking forward to meeting the Montana State student.

I'm from Reno but I'm currently living in San Francisco. I'm a 25-year-old female as well (did they list a mean age in the packet?) and I got my degree in Journalism, but I did my pre-med classes at SF State. I already have my housing worked out (a rockin' studio! :cool: ). Try craigslist for apartments, that's where mine was.

kwc1979 said:
Hey guys,

Thanks kwc1979 and Samwich for your self introductions. I also liked the packet a lot and will give a bit of info too before we all meet in person...

I'm a guy, 24 y/o, currently living in Vegas too and majored in Neuroscience at Pomona College in Southern California, where I graduated last year. I plan to move to Reno the beginning of July, which means I should prolly head up there in a week or so to look for an apartment; will definitely try for a corner unit on the top floor this time!

I have a feeling that I will run into a couple of my HS classmates (Clark) once we all meet in person, but for now I have no clue who will be there so chances are this will be a fresh start for me, which is awesome too :luck:

Oh and I just faxed in my parking permit application (Green Zone for the entire year), and am also looking forward to the "ice breaking" activity during orientation - I think it's great that they at least try to make the start of med school sorta fun before we get down to business.

Laterz!

Medfish

A few manila folders ago, we received a list of things to purchase before we arrive at school (laptop, etc.). Now, I remember we needed to get a stethoscope, but what else? Also, are you guys going to go all out and buy a Lippman shethoscope or are you going to get a cheap Long's Drugs stethoscope? As for the laptop, I'm going to get an iMac. Anyone else going to apple route?

Sorry guys, I just did a search to price the stethoscopes, and they're called Littmann, not Lippman, or whatever I wrote. :oops: (In my defense, all I've really seen is the big "L" on the scope.)

Anyway, the site is pretty cool. The stethoscope I'm looking it costs around $80.00, but you can get gold-plated stethoscopes and electronic stethoscopes for much more. I know we're all flush with cash, being students and all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Littman stethoscopes are really good, i.e. worth the money. :)

samwich said:
A few manila folders ago, we received a list of things to purchase before we arrive at school (laptop, etc.). Now, I remember we needed to get a stethoscope, but what else? Also, are you guys going to go all out and buy a Lippman shethoscope or are you going to get a cheap Long's Drugs stethoscope? As for the laptop, I'm going to get an iMac. Anyone else going to apple route?

I'm glad you just posted that! I remember receiving it now, but had totally forgotten everything on that list. I'm psyched we are expected to own stethoscopes from day 1...how "doctory"!

I am sticking with the same IBM thinkpad that I got from college graduation, but good luck with the Mac. I have heard such good things. My brother, who is a huge techie, thinks everyone should buy Apple when they change computers.

Has anyone been up to Reno and been able to get a tour of the med school? I was transferred all around the school today trying to set something up. As usual, they ended up making me leave a message with Linda Marshall who has yet to get back to me. Any thoughts/ideas? Also, for those of you how have housing lined up...what area of town are you in? How close are you living to school?

kwc1979 said:
I'm glad you just posted that! I remember receiving it now, but had totally forgotten everything on that list. I'm psyched we are expected to own stethoscopes from day 1...how "doctory"!

I am sticking with the same IBM thinkpad that I got from college graduation, but good luck with the Mac. I have heard such good things. My brother, who is a huge techie, thinks everyone should buy Apple when they change computers.

Has anyone been up to Reno and been able to get a tour of the med school? I was transferred all around the school today trying to set something up. As usual, they ended up making me leave a message with Linda Marshall who has yet to get back to me. Any thoughts/ideas? Also, for those of you how have housing lined up...what area of town are you in? How close are you living to school?

So you haven't seen the school yet? Uh, talk to your big sib and see if you can get him/her to show you around. I don't think they're really doing formal tours and the school is so small, the tour takes about three minutes.

Okay, so I was psyched too that we needed our stethoscopes! Aren't some other things recommended? Like the reflex hammer and the pen light eye/ear examination thingy? (How technical)

As for housing, I am around the block from the house I grew up in. It sounds a little co-dependant, but I love the area (old Reno, Newlands district). Basically, that area around California Avenue and Arlington. I like the area a lot (lots of good trees and a few good cafes), and it's about a 10 minute drive to school. I also cycle a lot, and if I wanted to haul myself up that big hill on Virginia street every day, I'd definately get a great workout. And then bonk in class.

Hello All:
I'm a 29 y/o male currently living in Reno (North Valley) and majored in Nutritional Science at UNR.

Stethoscopes: I have 2 brand new scopes available with accessories. A Littman Cardiology III and a standard dual-chest piece stethoscope. If you are interested, let me know.

docbrown76 said:
Hello All:
I'm a 29 y/o male currently living in Reno (North Valley) and majored in Nutritional Science at UNR.

Stethoscopes: I have 2 brand new scopes available with accessories. A Littman Cardiology III and a standard dual-chest piece stethoscope. If you are interested, let me know.

Hi Docbrown76,

I will be in Reno next week and am very interested in getting a stetho from you .... I'm not sure which one to get yet, but I'm sure I'll know once I see them in person (what's the difference between the two anyways?) I currently own a cheap little one for my clinical volunteering - I personally love the simplicity of it, but doubt it'll be sufficient for the stuff we will be learning.. or will it. :laugh:

Also, I've heard from a relative in Reno that one side of town is "newer" than the other, but basically you're never really TOO far from the UNSOM campus. Can anyone confirm that or suggest which part of town is more preferrable?

The Littmann Cardiology III is an excellent stethoscope that will work well for our purposes. The other stethoscope I have is not as expensive, but will also do the job. This link will provide you with more information about the Littmann:

http://www.3m.com/us/healthcare/professionals/littmann/jhtml/cardiology_iii.jhtml

If you would like, we can meet next week and I can show you the scopes. Also, I can show around town to look for housing. PM me if you want to meet up next week.

medfish said:
Hi Docbrown76,

I will be in Reno next week and am very interested in getting a stetho from you .... I'm not sure which one to get yet, but I'm sure I'll know once I see them in person (what's the difference between the two anyways?) I currently own a cheap little one for my clinical volunteering - I personally love the simplicity of it, but doubt it'll be sufficient for the stuff we will be learning.. or will it. :laugh:

Also, I've heard from a relative in Reno that one side of town is "newer" than the other, but basically you're never really TOO far from the UNSOM campus. Can anyone confirm that or suggest which part of town is more preferrable?

I disagree. The "newer" part of town, south of downtown is pretty far away from school. Particularly since you'd be stuck on 395 with everyone else who lives in that area. :smuggrin: I have a friend that lives out there and it takes a good half-hour to get to his house from downtown. Why would you want to deal with that?

If I were you, I'd live near UNR, near downtown or in the McCarran-Mae Anne area.

Most students live near campus or in the North-West (NW) part of Reno. Start you housing search in these areas. Traffic can be problematic at times, but for those of you currently living in Vegas or California, traffic is comparably light.

I suggest living in place that you will be comfortable with for the next year or so.

docbrown76 said:
Most students live near campus or in the North-West (NW) part of Reno. Start you housing search in these areas. Traffic can be problematic at times, but for those of you currently living in Vegas or California, traffic is comparably light.

I suggest living in place that you will be comfortable with for the next year or so.

Hi Samwich and Docbrown,

Thanks for the housing information. Yeah, I guess coming from LA's chaotic traffic anything less than an hour's drive is relatively okay, but I agree 100% that a 30 minute commute to school sounds a bit annoying, especially early in the morning for biochem lectures and what not (5 to 10 minutes sounds much much better). So, I will definitely keep the Northwest in mind when I hop around Reno's apartments next week.

Oh and thanks in advance docbrown - I will PM you my contact info and tentative schedule to Reno. :)

So two weeks ago I called Linda Marshall and found out that I was next on the out-of-state waitlist. And I thought no problem! Easy! And so I convinced myself that UNR was the best thing for me and that I really really want to go there. I'm still waiting.
So what I found out today is that a) writing a letter of intent is useless to me at this point. Strictly numerical. b) I have to wait for someone out of state to withdraw before I get my chance. c) There are only 5 out-of-staters currently accepted and two of them have acceptances at other schools.
What I want to know is this: does UNR have a deadline at which point people need to let go of all but one of their acceptances? For most schools this was May 15 but it would seem that several people are still holding on to at least two. Does anyone know how this works?
Two weeks ago I thought life was great and that I'd have no problem getting off the waitlist. Even went up and looked at apartments. But now I'm getting to the point where I'll soon have to start planning a move to Michigan instead, and I'm getting nervous about it.
I'm not sure what the point of this post was. I asked a question that surely no one will be able to answer for me, so I guess I'm probably just looking for encouragement. And to let you all know that I want to be in your class next fall, and I'm not sure how to get there. Gah. Any thoughts?

BravaItaliana said:
So two weeks ago I called Linda Marshall and found out that I was next on the out-of-state waitlist. And I thought no problem! Easy! And so I convinced myself that UNR was the best thing for me and that I really really want to go there. I'm still waiting.
So what I found out today is that a) writing a letter of intent is useless to me at this point. Strictly numerical. b) I have to wait for someone out of state to withdraw before I get my chance. c) There are only 5 out-of-staters currently accepted and two of them have acceptances at other schools.
What I want to know is this: does UNR have a deadline at which point people need to let go of all but one of their acceptances? For most schools this was May 15 but it would seem that several people are still holding on to at least two. Does anyone know how this works?
Two weeks ago I thought life was great and that I'd have no problem getting off the waitlist. Even went up and looked at apartments. But now I'm getting to the point where I'll soon have to start planning a move to Michigan instead, and I'm getting nervous about it.
I'm not sure what the point of this post was. I asked a question that surely no one will be able to answer for me, so I guess I'm probably just looking for encouragement. And to let you all know that I want to be in your class next fall, and I'm not sure how to get there. Gah. Any thoughts?

Hi There,

To the best of my knowledge, May 15th was the deadline to hold multiple acceptances for UNSOM as well, and I confirmed this with Linda Marshall a while back. However, I do think that some people might have requested an extension of some sort beyond the 15th, so don't be too discouraged.

If I were you, I'd wait out a couple more weeks before giving up on your waitlist situation. Best of luck to you and hopefully we'll get to be classmates.

Cheers.

Got the phone call from Linda Marshall yesterday morning. Thanks to the out-of-stater who withdrew! I'll see you guys at orientation =)

BravaItaliana said:
Got the phone call from Linda Marshall yesterday morning. Thanks to the out-of-stater who withdrew! I'll see you guys at orientation =)

Congrats! You must be so relieved. I finally decided too that I'm gonna go to Nevada and give up on my other waitlist spots. I was up in Reno this weekend and was quite impressed. I've haven't spent very much time there and I really liked the city. And, I am very happy to say I made an offer which was just accepted on an adorable townhouse like 2 miles from school. It's 2 bedrooms and has an incredible view of the city...so if any of you are still looking for a roommate, let me know. I would love to share it with a classmate!

BravaItaliana said:

Congratulations! I also found a 2 bed/2 bath apartment for quite a bargain last week. Tahoe is also awesomely beautiful.

See you guys at orientation.

medfish

If anybody decides to turn down their UNSOM acceptance tell them that you'd like me to take your spot. Just say let Steiner in or else he's going to law school and becoming a malpractice attorney, we all know there's big money in Nevada by suing doctors. Just kidding for anyone freaking out right now. Seriously though, if you turn down UNSOM, recommend me. I am S-M-R-T-smart.