University of Nevada c/o 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getunconcsious

Very tired PGY1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to start a discussion for those accepted to or waiting for Nevada! I am not sure if I want to go there or not, but I figured no one else would start a thread for that school if I didn't. I know I'm definitely considering UNSOM, since Nevada is my home state!

Any opinions would be welcome, as the school isn't exactly forthcoming with useful information about their programs, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

getunconcsious said:
Hey all, just wanted to start a discussion for those accepted to or waiting for Nevada! I am not sure if I want to go there or not, but I figured no one else would start a thread for that school if I didn't. I know I'm definitely considering UNSOM, since Nevada is my home state!

Any opinions would be welcome, as the school isn't exactly forthcoming with useful information about their programs, etc.

I too am interested in more info on UNR. I'm waitlisted there and trying to decide between it and another bigger school much farther away...a hard choice. I'm right on the fence and need someone to talk me into writing a letter of intent.
Also, does anyone know about movement on the alternate list?

I'm very interested too. I actually haven't even been there. I interviewed in Las Vegas and thus far have been ridiculously disappointed in the way they run their admissions office. Yet, it's my homestate too and regardless of what most people say on this forum...tuition matters! I'm gonna try to head up there in April to check it out in person and wait and see how I make out from the other interviews I have had, but there is a decent chance I will be there in the fall. Anyone have any idea on their match rates? It seems to me like they go out of their way to hide any relavant information on the school!

Members don't see this ad :)
kwc1979 said:
It seems to me like they go out of their way to hide any relavant information on the school!

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed this--It kind of seemed like a red flag to me. But it may be that they are just small/understaffed/lazy. As others have said, the in-state tuition is pretty sweet, but I'd like to know more about the quality of the program first. Which other schools are you guys considering?

Also, does anyone know if there's any kind of second look weekend?

Hi. Yeah, I was accepted to UNR last week, and I'm kind of agonizing over whether or not to go. I'm from Nevada, but the curriculum is so uninspired! And the students are in class almost 30 hours a week if not more. I'm not saying that I don't expect to work my butt off, but... 30 hours a week? When I was at the interview, the guy who gave me a tour said that UNR's match results were as good as Georgetown's, the other school where he was accepted. I don't know where he got those figures.

samwich said:
Hi. Yeah, I was accepted to UNR last week, and I'm kind of agonizing over whether or not to go. I'm from Nevada, but the curriculum is so uninspired! And the students are in class almost 30 hours a week if not more. I'm not saying that I don't expect to work my butt off, but... 30 hours a week? When I was at the interview, the guy who gave me a tour said that UNR's match results were as good as Georgetown's, the other school where he was accepted. I don't know where he got those figures.

Their match list is in the sticky thread about residency. It's pretty ok I guess...Oddly, they produce more psychiatrists than any other school I've seen (percentage wise). Their match list isn't as good as the other school I'm into, but I dunno, it looks like some people do well from there.

Re: the second look weekend. I called a lady in the admissions office, and they said nothing was planned. Does it seem like they make no effort to make you want to go to the school? I later talked to a friend who's at UNR SOM, and he said the second look weekend was two weeks ago. Boo.

The other school where I interviewed, Penn State, knocked themselves out to create a fantastic day. Of course, if I were to receive $40,000 a year for an out-of-stater, I'd be working pretty hard myself.

Well, one thing that's pretty nice about UNR is you have the chance to really stick out. Not only are you in a small class of, what, 60? You're a face and a name. If you're smart and you study hard, you'll have a good rank in the class (since they still use grades and not a Pass/No Pass system).

OK, I now have it on good authority that they did in fact have a welcome weekend--last week! F**kers. :mad: :mad:

Also, this person (A current student) told me that they do in fact send relevant information--AFTER May 15. Somehow, this person's insistence that the whole situation turns into sunshine and lollipops after we're already trapped there just doesn't seem to hold water to me.

UT-Houston is looking more attractive every day, out-of-state tuition or not! :rolleyes:

This school continues to amaze me. I mean really, what is the point of holding second look prior to admitting 1/3 of the class? Also, how hard is it to report some stats to US News and World Report? Everyone else seems to do it. And I'm not going to even touch relavant information coming post May 15th...because that just seems too farfetched to be true. Put together this with the other "wonderful" interactions I've had with this school so far, and I am a bit scared. But I have talked to some students and doctors who are graduates and they all seem to talk really highly of the school. Do you think it's just cause they have nothing to compare it too?

samwich said:
Re: the second look weekend. I called a lady in the admissions office, and they said nothing was planned. Does it seem like they make no effort to make you want to go to the school? I later talked to a friend who's at UNR SOM, and he said the second look weekend was two weeks ago. Boo.

The other school where I interviewed, Penn State, knocked themselves out to create a fantastic day. Of course, if I were to receive $40,000 a year for an out-of-stater, I'd be working pretty hard myself.

Don't be too disappointed. It was more like a second look day, on a Thursday no less. I didn't attend because I'm waitlisted and only accepted folks were invited, but my boyfriend did go. He said that it was essentially an information session like other schools do during their interview days. Sounded pretty informative, anyway, but I'm not sure you missed much...

What are all the UNR accepties stats. Im from NV with a 38 and they told me to beat it.

Also, the second look thing you are talking about is only for those students accepted out of the first pool of applicants (from what I've heard). It's more of a recruiting visit for the accepties with exceptional stats to try and sway them towards UNR. Also, usually the first third of waitlisted people get in. Its around 20 people on the alternate list, so 6 or 7 get in off the list. You can also find their match lists on the UNR website if you look around.

Here's the most recent

http://asa.med.unr.edu/goodresults2004.htm

Steiner said:
What are all the UNR accepties stats. Im from NV with a 38 and they told me to beat it.

:thumbdown: Wow! and I was mad that I didn't get accepted in the first round with a 36. Nevada is stupid! I hope (and I am sure) that you got in somewhere else and probably a better place anyways!

What a bunch of a$$es...how egalitarian of them not to invite us 'bottom of the barrel' people. Well they can go screw themselves, I got interviewed at lots of top schools. I honestly don't know what they're looking for or how they operate!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really know how UNSOM operates either. I had the most unorganized interview day - ever. I was contacted the MORNING of my interview day with information regarding my second interview (the student interview), and my faculty interview was scheduled the DAY BEFORE it happened. Granted I live in Las Vegas, so it's not a huge deal. For those of you who didn't interview in Vegas, you don't get the whole interview day type experience like at other schools. You have two scheduled interviews - you show up and do you thing. No lunch, no fin aid talk, no dean talk because obviously you're in Vegas and not in Reno at the actual school.

Any way, so both of my interviewers were very late. Check this out: 1:00 PM I had my faculty interview, and at 2:30 was my student interview in the same building. Well, like most people would do during a MED SCHOOL interview, I turned my cell phone off from 1:00 PM onward. Uh, apparently, during my first interview, they called me and left a message saying that my 2:30 PM student interview had been moved to 3:00 PM. Well, I got out of my 1:00 PM interview at 2:00 PM, so I basically just got a sip of water and headed over to my next interview and sat outside the office. I sat and sat and at 3:20 PM, I asked the clueless staff what was up. They figured it out after some investigation, and finally at like 3:30 we began my student interview.

Oh well, you know. I understand people get behind and trauma surgeons (my faculty interviewer) have every right to be late given their profession.

In any event, I was accepted in January and have received the full tuition scholarship.

I am completely confused as to whether I should go or not. I don't like Reno as a city, and the class size of 52 is a bit too small for me. The letter grading and 30 hours of lecture weekly are both negatives in my book. Further, there isn't a teaching hospital close to the medical school. Right?

BUT, I totally understand what all of you are saying about the amazing tuition. Every physician I've spoken to says once we're docs, we'll pay off our debt from other schools in no time. It's still scary though.

To add to the confusion, half of the doctors I talk to say UNSOM is "****," and the others say it's a "good" place. All of these physicians practice in Nevada, so they know what they're talking about.

Lastly, some of the physicians I've spoken to have made the comment, "you'll have your M.D. after your name, not 'M.D. Harvard/Yale/Columbia,' just a plain M.D. period." LOL, thought that was funny.

And I keep hearing no one will give a **** about where you go. They'll care about where you did your residency & fellowship only - but doesn't the school you go to have a large impact on your residency placement?

This'll be a hard fricken decision.

Rejected 4 MONTHS after interviewing, I had a hard time staying sad for long. I started off excited about... THE TUITION (and, what the hell, going to the same school as someone as cool as Carbon!) Then, after the cluster F**K of an admissions office, the lack of communication, and the general "you should BE so blessed!" attitude, the blow was, shall we say, CONSIDERABLY softened.

Other interview experiences, and other admissions offices have really shown me what i was missing out on, when dealing with UNSOM. Nevada's state government at its finest, operating at max capacity no doubt. Whatever.

I don't feel robbed, I feel irritated that they took so long to figure it out.

Steiner said:

Also, the second look thing you are talking about is only for those students accepted out of the first pool of applicants (from what I've heard). It's more of a recruiting visit for the accepties with exceptional stats to try and sway them towards UNR. Also, usually the first third of waitlisted people get in. Its around 20 people on the alternate list, so 6 or 7 get in off the list. You can also find their match lists on the UNR website if you look around.

Here's the most recent

http://asa.med.unr.edu/goodresults2004.htm

Rejected with at 38, are you kidding? That's crazy! Are you from Nevada? What was your undergrad GPA?

Well, I talked with a second-year at UNSOM for about 40 minutes last night, and it sounds like an all right place to go to. Maybe I'm being simplistic, and I could be uninformed, but I think I'm going to go there.

I'm from Reno and I know my way around the town, which has it's own level of comfort, and I really like the idea of having my teachers know me well. My friend that I talked to last night said the had weekly meetings with his Biochem and Histology professors. There are chances to get involved in lots of different things, since there are so few students.

I'm going to talk to many more people before I make my final decision, but really, how bad can it be? Also, I want to go into family medicine, and just about any school will prepare me adequately for that (of course, some more adequately than others). If I was aiming for radiology or dermatology, I would consider other schools, but I'm not and I don't want to be paying for my education forever. Are there really any awful Allopathic medical schools in the United States?

I've NEVER heard a doctor say that you pay of your loans quickly. They all moan about how it took forever (unless you're going into a specialty where they need people badly and a hospital will pay your loans for you if you join their team). Again, I think it depends on where you want to go. Nevada's SOM is working hard to create primary-care physicians who will stay in the state.

I've wondered about how the residency placement works too, but I think it's a lot more egalitarian than the original Medical School application. I mean, smart people do well on their boards, regardless of where they go to school. I've heard your clerkships and your interviews are the major part of getting residency placement, and not your school. On the other hand, I would think that an applicant from UCSF has a leg up on the UNSOM candidate, but you never know.

There isn't a teaching hospital nearby, as far as I know, but there are lots of preceptorships available, and isn't there that free clinic where you have to volunteer?

For me, it would be hard to turn down a full-ride. I agree with what some of the physicians you spoke with said. A doctor is a doctor. :luck:

samwich said:
Well, I talked with a second-year at UNSOM for about 40 minutes last night, and it sounds like an all right place to go to. Maybe I'm being simplistic, and I could be uninformed, but I think I'm going to go there.

I'm from Reno and I know my way around the town, which has it's own level of comfort, and I really like the idea of having my teachers know me well. My friend that I talked to last night said the had weekly meetings with his Biochem and Histology professors. There are chances to get involved in lots of different things, since there are so few students.

I'm going to talk to many more people before I make my final decision, but really, how bad can it be? Also, I want to go into family medicine, and just about any school will prepare me adequately for that (of course, some more adequately than others). If I was aiming for radiology or dermatology, I would consider other schools, but I'm not and I don't want to be paying for my education forever. Are there really any awful Allopathic medical schools in the United States?

I noticed a very "Stepford Wives" kind of attitude among the UNSOM students, it's like they've been brainwashed into liking it or something.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't go there over their reputation, which I think is pretty ok. I'm saying I wouldn't go there because more and more, I can see it being my own personal hell for the next four years.

That said, I am getting sick of Texas, and I like Las Vegas a lot. :cool:

Ambs, congrats on the full ride! you are awesome! :love:

kwc1979 said:
Rejected with at 38, are you kidding? That's crazy! Are you from Nevada? What was your undergrad GPA?

Yup, NV resident. My undergrad GPA was 3.15, but I did good in hard sciences. My grad GPA is 3.5 at Purdue. Finish my masters in two months.

Are you saying that every UNSOM student you've talked to has no criticism at all of the program? Because that's ridiculous. You know you can live in Vegas your second two years, right?

samwich said:
Are you saying that every UNSOM student you've talked to has no criticism at all of the program? Because that's ridiculous. You know you can live in Vegas your second two years, right?

I've talked to 5 UNSOM students and gotten gushing about how wonderful the school is in every possible way, and very little else. When asked about downsides, they make excuses, mostly about how 'busy' the office supposedly is! With less than 1000 applicants and 52 in each class, this is hard to believe. UT-Houston sent me tons of information, always is helpful, etc. and they had over 2000 applicants and a class of over 200.

I know that only the 2nd two years are in Las Vegas :(

You think there is anyway we can get them to host a second look? Loke if a bunch of us start making requests? Probably not...but I would really like to go up there with some other prespective students where we get a chance to tour the school and speak with some current students. Any ideas?

Well, I think I'm going the weekend of April 8. April 8 is a Friday, so I can attend some classes, and see what I think. It seems reasonable that if a bunch of us went, we could maybe talk to some students at lunch or something. Would anyone else be able to come that weekend? Even if it was just you and me, kwc, we could at least talk to my friends who are there now.

As for getting a financial aid talk, etc., I wouldn't count on that.

Does anyone know how intense the course load will be? When I toured UNR everyone looked really stressed out, and someone even told me not to come to UNR. But I am really torn because I looked at the schedule and there is about an exam every week and sometimes even two a week. What’s people opinion about UNR working there students so hard when it’s not even a top rated school? I'm considering going to UNR but I want to do my residency in Southern California and I'm worried that UNR's reputation is not that great it will lower my chances of getting into a matching residency program? But I do like the fact that tuition is really reasonable. Please help…

We should all go to UNR and tour it one more time.

samwich said:
Well, I think I'm going the weekend of April 8. April 8 is a Friday, so I can attend some classes, and see what I think. It seems reasonable that if a bunch of us went, we could maybe talk to some students at lunch or something. Would anyone else be able to come that weekend? Even if it was just you and me, kwc, we could at least talk to my friends who are there now.

As for getting a financial aid talk, etc., I wouldn't count on that.

I'll definitely check and see if I can make it that day and let you know. I think they would have to do something if we could get a group of 5-6 people so show up on the same day...

yapper said:
Does anyone know how intense the course load will be? When I toured UNR everyone looked really stressed out, and someone even told me not to come to UNR. But I am really torn because I looked at the schedule and there is about an exam every week and sometimes even two a week. What’s people opinion about UNR working there students so hard when it’s not even a top rated school? I'm considering going to UNR but I want to do my residency in Southern California and I'm worried that UNR's reputation is not that great it will lower my chances of getting into a matching residency program? But I do like the fact that tuition is really reasonable. Please help…

I think Jon (my friend) said that there's about a test a week, and at one point (finals?) the tests went Monday, Friday, Monday, Friday ad nauseum. He said the course load settles down after first semester, but that first semester you go to class from 8 or 9 a.m. to 3 with an hour lunch. He also said that he studied a ton, but didn't study to exclusion of other things, so he still saw his family and went out some. He got straight B's that semester.

I don't know about the residency thing. Could you talk to a UNSOM alum about that?

yapper said:

I have no idea about work load and it's one of the things I am pretty interested in finding out about...that being said, name a university where you won't have to work your a$$ off. We all have to take the same boards in the end. But as far as repuation goes, I actually I think UNR's repuation (on the West Coast especially) is pretty decent. I mean with a class of only 52, you are getting some pretty good exposure. My issues with it at this point, I think, have more to do with it being a state school (and NV is more or less a 3rd world country) and the way we wil be treated while we are there. Some of the much more expensive private schools are gonna have a great support network for students, better technology, and less bureaucracy along the way. Anyone have any idea about a notetaking services there? Do they post lectures online? Lecture notes online?

I have some idea why the students might look overburdened--the MS I's are enrolled in 8 classes simultaneously when they start school. Check out their curriculum.

Curriculum looks interesting, though.

getunconcsious said:
BuMp--Represent for the silver state, yo.

Where do I find the curriculum for UNSOM?

kwc1979 said:
Even if there are only like 4 of us on this post, I kinda like it. Here's the link to the curriculum: http://meded2.med.unr.edu/Curriculum/

Thanks for that link. Am I the only one who gets a thrill at looking at the stuff we're going to learn? It's so awesome! There's so much we're going to have to know, and I can't wait. :D

Hello fellow Premeds,

Looking forward to the possibility of being classmates with some of you! As for now, though, I have also been debating whether to attend UNSOM '09 or not. Location issues in Reno aside, as some of you have mentioned, my main concern is also the way the curriculum is structured (8 concurrent classes).

I know that being in medical school = lots of hard work all the time and that choosing the easy way out should never be the main selection criteria for your MD program, but I am doubtful that being hammered with 8 subjects concurrently is the most efficient way of learning and retaining information (and doing well on the Boards). I mean, just trying to imagine how many books would be laid out on my desk when I'm studying each day gives me the chills already.

I love learning, and I can't wait to start medical school, but wouldn't you agree that the alternative block system where you mainly focus on understanding one subject at a time, all the time, then move on to the next would be the better way to go? The distraction involved in keeping track of 8 subjects at a time seems a little inefficient, but this is all speculation on my part for now. I think I'll call my peer contact and see what they have to say... who knows, maybe being hammered with everything all at the same time is the way to go? Any thoughts?

Medfish
So. Cal

medfish said:
Hello fellow Premeds,

Looking forward to the possibility of being classmates with some of you! As for now, though, I have also been debating whether to attend UNSOM '09 or not. Location issues in Reno aside, as some of you have mentioned, my main concern is also the way the curriculum is structured (8 concurrent classes).

I know that being in medical school = lots of hard work all the time and that choosing the easy way out should never be the main selection criteria for your MD program, but I am doubtful that being hammered with 8 subjects concurrently is the most efficient way of learning and retaining information (and doing well on the Boards). I mean, just trying to imagine how many books would be laid out on my desk when I'm studying each day gives me the chills already.

I love learning, and I can't wait to start medical school, but wouldn't you agree that the alternative block system where you mainly focus on understanding one subject at a time, all the time, then move on to the next would be the better way to go? The distraction involved in keeping track of 8 subjects at a time seems a little inefficient, but this is all speculation on my part for now. I think I'll call my peer contact and see what they have to say... who knows, maybe being hammered with everything all at the same time is the way to go? Any thoughts?

Medfish
So. Cal

Well, there's no doubt that the block system is a better way to learn. I mean, even the people at UNR wish that the curriculum is structured that way. (Doesn't everyone want to learn via the block system?) What my friend at UNSOM said is that you end up making the connections between the subjects on your own, rather than having them presented to you as would be done in the block system.

As for 8 subjects at once, you just deal with it, I guess. I think it might have a negative effect on board scores, but what do I know?

How do UNSOM do on the boards comparatively? Anyone have an idea on pass rates or avg. scores?

kwc1979 said:
How do UNSOM do on the boards comparatively? Anyone have an idea on pass rates or avg. scores?

I have no clue. Maybe all that info comes in that super package you get after 5/15, once you're locked in. You know the office won't tell. UNSOM is the only school I know of where people have to repeat a year, like grammar school.

Hey Guys,

Well, from looking at their residency match list UNSOM students must have done decently or okay on their Boards. But whether they are accepted into one of their top residency choices is an unknown statistic. Does anyone have this information? In the mean time I will try to track down my peer contact and see what i can find out. :)

medfish said:
Hey Guys,

Well, from looking at their residency match list UNSOM students must have done decently or okay on their Boards. But whether they are accepted into one of their top residency choices is an unknown statistic. Does anyone have this information? In the mean time I will try to track down my peer contact and see what i can find out. :)

You could also try contacting Linda Marshall, since she's the admissions co-ordinator. I'll e-mail her tonight and see what she has to say. I'm also trying to get in touch with two UNSOM grads, and they could probably tell me a lot more.

Btw who is going to UNSOM for sure? And if still undecided, what other programs are you considering and why?

Myself - VCU (virginia commonwealth) - great clinical exposure, large teaching hospital, block curriculum, 86% match into top 3 residency prog. Downs: high tuition & far from home.

medfish said:
Btw who is going to UNSOM for sure? And if still undecided, what other programs are you considering and why?

Myself - VCU (virginia commonwealth) - great clinical exposure, large teaching hospital, block curriculum, 86% match into top 3 residency prog. Downs: high tuition & far from home.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to UNSOM, but I'm also considering Penn State. The considerations are practically identical to yours, except that the location of Penn State (Hershey) is abysmal. Plus, I have no family out there. But the program is exactly what I'd want for my medical training. As you can see, I'm torn.

I'm considering UNSOM. But, I'm also considering UW-Madison and Wake Forest. The only reason I'm still holding onto UNSOM is that I, by some miracle, have received a full tuition scholarship. I know quite a few people who are first, second, or third years at UNSOM. They all agree that the curriculum is lecture heavy and intense, but I can't say much about residency placemement yet. When I toured the school, I was impressed by their medical education building, specifically the classroom for first years is nice.

But, does anyone know or remember of a teaching hospital close to the medical school?

I guess we can all bury the "I can't stand the gloomy, boring city of Reno" complaint and be rest assured that Vegas is always an option for third & fourth years.

An interesting comment a couple of my first-year UNSOM friends made was that they have to try extra hard to remain at the very top of their class, and the added pressure of letter grading makes it very stressful. And of course the whole reason to aspire to be at the top of the class is to stand out as an exceptional applicant coming from a so-so school.

Ambs said:
I'm considering UNSOM. But, I'm also considering UW-Madison and Wake Forest. The only reason I'm still holding onto UNSOM is that I, by some miracle, have received a full tuition scholarship.

Congrats! That's really impressive! Did you have to apply for the scholarship? Or did they present it to with your initial offer?

medfish said:

LOL, I think it's funny that we're all considering out-of-state public schools. Univ. of Texas at Houston here. Excellent clinical exposure (i.e., the texas medical center :D), awesomre match stats, and the city of houston.

Downsides are pretty much what you've said...my whole family's out west, and the out-of-state tuition is burdensome.

I guess we're all in the same boat lol... that's sorta strange but comforting in a way. :cool:

So... here is a followup question: What will you need to find out about UNSOM during this count down in order for you to go there?

Again myself - that taking 8 courses at a time is actually a blessing in disguise. I guess when I interviewed at the Reno campus I ran into a bunch of current students that told me not to go there and that they're in hell (my tour guide obviously wasn't too happy with that situation). I also saw half the M1 class sleeping in one of the libraries, each student lying in their pile of books... But, each class culture is different - it could have been 'drama' week? Who knows...

medfish said:
I guess we're all in the same boat lol... that's sorta strange but comforting in a way. :cool:

So... here is a followup question: What will you need to find out about UNSOM during this count down in order for you to go there?

Again myself - that taking 8 courses at a time is actually a blessing in disguise. I guess when I interviewed at the Reno campus I ran into a bunch of current students that told me not to go there and that they're in hell (my tour guide obviously wasn't too happy with that situation). I also saw half the M1 class sleeping in one of the libraries, each student lying in their pile of books... But, each class culture is different - it could have been 'drama' week? Who knows...

Well, I think it's obvious that the first year is the worst. That's what my interviewer told me: that she and the other MSIIs laughed at the first years because they're all so stressed out.

What will it take for me to go there? Another look, definitely, and talking with some residents who graduated from UNSOM telling me they made the right choice. Also, I want to talk to a girl who got into UNSOM and Penn State and chose UNSOM. (This girl exists, btw.)

When did you interview? When I was there (January), the library was empty. As a corollary, that library is pathetic. As a library lover (and the fact that I study at the incredible UCSF library now), this was a disappointment.

I didn't interview at UNSOM because I don't like the curriculum, but I did live in Reno for 20 years, and just wanted to throw out that the city really isn't a bad place to be. It's not New York or DC or San Francisco, but it's also not Winston-Salem or Raleigh-Durham. The casinos and other touristy parts of the city means that there's a lot to do for a city of 300 or 400,000. Also, outdoor opporunities are better than any school I've visited. Just wanted to say a bit to defend my city. ;)

If anyone has questions about the city, feel free to PM me, and I'll try to answer. Best of luck to all of you in deciding where to go, and congrats to all of you with multiple acceptances. :thumbup:

bjackrian said:
I didn't interview at UNSOM because I don't like the curriculum, but I did live in Reno for 20 years, and just wanted to throw out that the city really isn't a bad place to be. It's not New York or DC or San Francisco, but it's also not Winston-Salem or Raleigh-Durham. The casinos and other touristy parts of the city means that there's a lot to do for a city of 300 or 400,000. Also, outdoor opporunities are better than any school I've visited. Just wanted to say a bit to defend my city. ;)

If anyone has questions about the city, feel free to PM me, and I'll try to answer. Best of luck to all of you in deciding where to go, and congrats to all of you with multiple acceptances. :thumbup:

I'd agree. I lived in Reno through high school, and returned for a bit after college. One thing that's drawing me toward Reno, as opposed to Penn State, is that it's close to San Francisco, which is where I live now, and it's my favorite city in the universe.

The weather isn't bad, if you like seasons, and there are cool places to go besides the casinos. Also, cost of living is cheaper.

I interviewed last November, and yea the library looked quite inadequate. I still have no luck reaching my peer contact over the last two days... hope that means he's skiing somewhere. :D

samwich said:
Well, I think it's obvious that the first year is the worst. That's what my interviewer told me: that she and the other MSIIs laughed at the first years because they're all so stressed out.

What will it take for me to go there? Another look, definitely, and talking with some residents who graduated from UNSOM telling me they made the right choice. Also, I want to talk to a girl who got into UNSOM and Penn State and chose UNSOM. (This girl exists, btw.)

When did you interview? When I was there (January), the library was empty. As a corollary, that library is pathetic. As a library lover (and the fact that I study at the incredible UCSF library now), this was a disappointment.

bjackrian said:

300-400,000? :laugh: Where are you getting your population data?