University of Maryland Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called in to ask this question earlier this morning and she replied saying that they plan to send out emails by this weekend regarding missing pre-reqs. (sorry, I am not utterdevotion nor luckyphooey)

Thank you so much Successplz.

Members don't see this ad.

I called this morning about the pre-reqs as well. I'm very nervous about that I will lose my position due to too many pre-reqs. Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called this morning about the pre-reqs as well. I'm very nervous about that I will lose my position due to too many pre-reqs. Fingers crossed!

You won't, as long as you can get your pre-reqs done before matriculation. I know a person who was short 16 credits and was able to knock it out during the summer.

Thanks, Luckyphooey. This sounds encouraging! But I still don't want to take that many courses.

You won't, as long as you can get your pre-reqs done before matriculation. I know a person who was short 16 credits and was able to knock it out during the summer.

Do you guys think I should send an email to UMB about my current status post-interview? Or just wait? :scared:

I'm just being obnoxious because I have an interview in WV this weekend..and I honestly would rather not go if I knew UMB accepted me :(

anyone hear anything lately? They said we should hear by mid march and now its getting close to the end of march.... I'm starting to lose all hope :(

just got my acceptance email 10 mins ago, but to shady grove. apparently baltimore campus is full, so id have to be put on the waitlist. anyways, ill be declining so itll open up a spot for someone! good luck everyone!

It said Baltimore is full? I guess that doesn't leave much hope for us that are still waiting :(

Shady Grove is still open.:D Quality of education is the same. Believe me, you are not missing much. Plus, you will get to know all your classmates.

It said Baltimore is full? I guess that doesn't leave much hope for us that are still waiting :(

it said that i was accepted to the shady grove campus and that if i did not want to attend shady grove and would like to be put on the waitlist for baltimore that i should let them know!

Shady Grove is still open.:D Quality of education is the same. Believe me, you are not missing much. Plus, you will get to know all your classmates.

way to sell it luckyphooey ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanna go to SG! :)

We would love to have you here :love:. I chose SG because of the freedom, in terms of flexible schedule and the freedom of coming and going without worrying about parking and paying for parking (you are not confined to the campus). You'll be happy here, I promise, I know some classmates were hestitant at first but I don't know anyone who is at SG who would want to switch now. I know alot of people want me to switch campus, but I just can't do it (I love it here!).

WOOHOO I just got my acceptance email!!! :love: Shady Grove!

Anyone know if there is any chance of declaring residency for the second year?

Last edited:

Anyone know if there is any chance of declaring residency for the second year? I was accepted into a 3 year school with some scholarship money, and I would save over 50 thousand (and a years time) if I decide to go there instead. I would much rather go to University of Maryland, and if I would be able to declare residency then the cost of both schools would be about the same... any thoughts??

My friend who is a second year just got her residency (meaning she will be paying in-state for 3rd and 4th year). She got her residency around Jan 29th.

Anyone know if there is any chance of declaring residency for the second year? I was accepted into a 3 year school with some scholarship money, and I would save over 50 thousand (and a years time) if I decide to go there instead. I would much rather go to University of Maryland, and if I would be able to declare residency then the cost of both schools would be about the same... any thoughts??

I know of a friend in my class who got in state residency her first year, second semester. It is definitely possible!

I know of a friend in my class who got in state residency her first year, second semester. It is definitely possible!

regarding comments made earlier in this thread, have any guys been able to gain residency status? it does seem like many of the success stories are from the females, which is not giving me too much hope here.

I was accepted to 2014 class. I want to know where can I find the course schedule for 2010 fall in Baltimore campus. and where should I buy the book for each course?

Since I am not good at English(I am from abroad) and have plenty free time now. I want to pre-read some books when I am free.

Many Thanks!

regarding comments made earlier in this thread, have any guys been able to gain residency status? it does seem like many of the success stories are from the females, which is not giving me too much hope here.

Maybe take a hot girl with you when you meet the person deciding.... :laugh:

Even females get rejected too, lol. The biggest factor is getting a job in Maryland and changing all your belongings to Maryland as soon as possible (license plate, license, etc..)

Hi luckyphooey,

Do you have information to my question several floors up. Thank you so much!

We would love to have you here :love:. I chose SG because of the freedom, in terms of flexible schedule and the freedom of coming and going without worrying about parking and paying for parking (you are not confined to the campus). You'll be happy here, I promise, I know some classmates were hestitant at first but I don't know anyone who is at SG who would want to switch now. I know alot of people want me to switch campus, but I just can't do it (I love it here!).
I personally don't like distance learning - (I've had a couple classes for it before and I'd rather be in an actual classroom.
You can switch campuses? Do you switch with a person or what?

just got my acceptance email 10 mins ago, but to shady grove. apparently baltimore campus is full, so id have to be put on the waitlist. anyways, ill be declining so itll open up a spot for someone! good luck everyone!

same here :(

i'm already in baltimore and i really don't want to go out to shady grove... :(

I was wondering where most pharmacy students at Shady Grove live? I believe the website says that there is no on-campus living housing at shady grove.

No, you can't switch campuses sorry!

Sorry guys, that was just an expression. Well, like the dean of Student Affairs said at the open house, "Do you really need to sit in the room during lecture?" (rhetorical question), you don't need to be physcially sitting in class to learn especially information that is delivery through lecture/powerpoint. She explained that most of your learning will be the hands-on acitivities you do like labs, small group exercises, and other activities (which you will be required to come to school for). Honestly, I've sit in the lectures many times before and just ended up being very distracted, either by what's on other's people laptop, talking to my friends, or the incessant tapping of the keyboards everywhere. Do be discouraged by the distance learning aspect, Mediasite is a wonderful and powerful way to learn. :)

Ahhh! is bmore campus really full >.< ! I was hoping bmore so I can move there and study there. I can't get any studying at home if I get shady grove....as a matter fact--if i get accepted period!

Luckyphooey,
I know this question has been asked many times , but still I dont have a clear idea about it..How many days a week do we have to go to the SG campus??And for how long??I did read that its about 3-4 times apprxmtly per week.Does that mean every week ??During my interview I did ask this question to a ShadyGrove student [dunno if ts u:)] and he replied that its 2 days per week.Now that the curriculum has changed are we expected to be in the campus more due to the synchronous classes??Hope you can give me a clear idea as to what to expect.
Thanks.

Luckyphooey,
I know this question has been asked many times , but still I dont have a clear idea about it..How many days a week do we have to go to the SG campus??And for how long??I did read that its about 3-4 times apprxmtly per week.Does that mean every week ??During my interview I did ask this question to a ShadyGrove student [dunno if ts u:)] and he replied that its 2 days per week.Now that the curriculum has changed are we expected to be in the campus more due to the synchronous classes??Hope you can give me a clear idea as to what to expect.
Thanks.

You will have to be on campus atleast twice a week. 1 hr for lab quiz and 3 hours for lab (this happens everyweek). However if you are lucky and your quiz the same day as your lab you only have to come once (we rotate between Tuesdays and Wednesdays). The max I have ever had to stay in school for was 3 hours. The number of times you have to be on campus depends on the week. For instance, this week I have to be on campus 4 days because of 1 quiz, 1 lab, 2 exams, 1 small group activity, and 4 hours of live synchronous class. Some weeks I come only once because I was lucky to have lab on Tuesday and lab quizes are given on tuesdays. Like I said, the max you are required to be on campus for is around 1-3 hours. This also depends on many many organizations you are in. So for this week I actually came to school 5 days because I had a sychronous organizational meeting.

As for housing, most people I know live King Farm or Avalon at Decoverly. Others found their own places via craigslist and such. Most people live in Rockville or Gaithersburg.

For books, don't buy them yet. See how the class is and decide if you need textbooks. Brush up on Anatomy and Physiology, basic chemistry (acid-base), and have a good feeling for brand-generic of atleast the top 50. But really, I would recommend taking the summer off and relax and take it easy.

Thank you LuckyPhooey.:).From what I read, I love ShadyGrove campus and I am soo excited to be there..:)

Anyone received a brief phone interview this week by current students? I am kind of nervous. what kinds of questions they will ask? I am going to receive one next week. It is weird because I have already had an interview.

Anyone received a brief phone interview this week by current students? I am kind of nervous. what kinds of questions they will ask? I am going to receive one next week. It is weird because I have already had an interview.

Interesting, I haven't heard about this before...

How do you know they're going to call?

I was wondering where most pharmacy students at Shady Grove live? I believe the website says that there is no on-campus living housing at shady grove.

I'm another SG student here to answer questions while I procrastinate on studying. :) There are a lot of apartments near school. I live about 5 mins away from school and it's awesome. I especially appreciate it on exam mornings when we have to be there at 7:30am. People either rent an apartment, commute from home, etc.

-Edit-
Oops, I didn't see that Phoo answered this question already above in a combined post.

Last edited:
I was just wondering if any of you who got accepted got an email about completing prerequisite. Please, let everyone know if you get an email

I'm another SG student here to answer questions while I procrastinate on studying. :) There are a lot of apartments near school. I live about 5 mins away from school and it's awesome. I especially appreciate it on exam mornings when we have to be there at 7:30am. People either rent an apartment, commute from home, etc.

-Edit-
Oops, I didn't see that Phoo answered this question already above in a combined post.

It means more coming from someone who actually liveS near school to answer this question. Thanks NW.

-also, for the person who is being re-interview, I interpret as being a good thing, they obviously see something in you. So try your best and good luck.

-Edit-

Are all the exams/labs at 7:30am? I will be commuting via Beltway (eeek) and just wondering if I will mainly need to be arranging my trek around pre-dawn traffic, or if exams/labs are sometimes later in the day. Thanks!

Are all the exams/labs at 7:30am? I will be commuting via Beltway (eeek) and just wondering if I will mainly need to be arranging my trek around pre-dawn traffic, or if exams/labs are sometimes later in the day. Thanks!

Yeah, all of our exams have been at 7:30am so far besides lab quizzes (usually around 11am) and finals (between 11am-2pm). Today's exam was an exception though. We had it 9:30am for whatever reason. I'm not complaining. :)

I have a few questions for current shady grove students? Is there a way that we can view lectures occuring at the Baltimore campus simultaneously at the Shady Grove campus? Or do we have to wait till 6:00 p.m. for the lecture to be loaded onto mediasite for us to access them? So there will always be like a 5-8 hour lag between when the lecture happens and when the lecture video will be posted online? Do most of the students at SG study at home by themselves or on campus with other students?

I have a few questions for current shady grove students? Is there a way that we can view lectures occuring at the Baltimore campus simultaneously at the Shady Grove campus? Or do we have to wait till 6:00 p.m. for the lecture to be loaded onto mediasite for us to access them? So there will always be like a 5-8 hour lag between when the lecture happens and when the lecture video will be posted online? Do most of the students at SG study at home by themselves or on campus with other students?

They are SUPPOSE to be uploaded BY 6pm, not that they ARE uploaded by 6pm. Most of the lectures are usually uploaded until an 1 hour of the class. Believe me, it won't matter, everyone Baltimore and SG will always be in a perpetual state of being behindness-

there is a mix, I would say half studies at home (when there is no class) and half comes toschool and study regardless if there are classes or not.

Last edited:
Yeah, all of our exams have been at 7:30am so far besides lab quizzes (usually around 11am) and finals (between 11am-2pm). Today's exam was an exception though. We had it 9:30am for whatever reason. I'm not complaining. :)

The news is that next year with the new building, they are trying to implement for the Spring of 2011 to have exams later on in the day (closer to 8:30am or 9am) which would be nice for all of you! (obviously I will not benefit from this...lol)

Are Balitimore students required to attend all classes?

i'm wondering if most baltimore students are going to get a a)studio, b)1-bedroom apartment, or c)find roommates.

also, i'm thinking of those apartments within walking distance of campus.