University of Iowa Class of 2026 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Were there more acceptances that were sent out recently? I see the FB page has 14 new members just this week.
Just saw that too. Maybe its people that where offered a seat and were taking their time to decide wether to commit or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Any news from Iowa yet? Does anyone know if the class is full or not so far? I forgot to ask Rachael during the phone call.

I see that in previous years they sent out more acceptances as early as February.

Any news from Iowa yet? Does anyone know if the class is full or not so far? I forgot to ask Rachael during the phone call.

I see that in previous years they sent out more acceptances as early as February.
73 people on facebook so almost full.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those on alternative list: Have you all had your follow up meetings with Rachael K? If so did she give you any idea on where you stand for this cycle in terms of potential to get in? I know she cant give us exactly where we stand on the list but did she allude to anything like "you are quite close, it could be as early as tomorrow or next week for you to get in" or did she have the tone of "you should be focused on preparing for the next cycle"? Just curious as to how you all's follow up convos went.

To those on alternative list: Have you all had your follow up meetings with Rachael K? If so did she give you any idea on where you stand for this cycle in terms of potential to get in? I know she cant give us exactly where we stand on the list but did she allude to anything like "you are quite close, it could be as early as tomorrow or next week for you to get in" or did she have the tone of "you should be focused on preparing for the next cycle"? Just curious as to how you all's follow up convos went.
I feel like the vibe was neither of those. She read me what the committee said about my app, what the interviewers said, and discussed my letters of rec. then she gave me 2 recommendations to choose from to improve my app if needed. I felt more confident after the consult but still have no idea where I stand

Reactions: 1 users
So looks like the group reached 80, does that mean it's over for this cycle??

Usually there is an administrator and a few D1’s so its probably not 80 yet. But yeah its safe to say that the class is basically full now.

So looks like the group reached 80, does that mean it's over for this cycle??
All 80 seats have been filled but that doesn’t mean it’s over for this cycle yet. Some of the students who have accepted at iowa have also accepted another school(s) and are still deciding. By March the waitlist may move as schools have to tell other schools who has paid the deposit and students must begin making a decision. I had a friend who was accepted off the waitlist March 25 and another at the end of July right before classes began. Try not to get your hopes up!

Reactions: 2 users
All 80 seats have been filled but that doesn’t mean it’s over for this cycle yet. Some of the students who have accepted at iowa have also accepted another school(s) and are still deciding. By March the waitlist may move as schools have to tell other schools who has paid the deposit and students must begin making a decision. I had a friend who was accepted off the waitlist March 25 and another at the end of July right before classes began. Try not to get your hopes up!
Well it doesn’t look like there is any hope anymore. The FB group should be a good indication as to how many have made the decision already. Unless there are people in there who were not accepted yet. It’s weird that Iowa requires only one deposit, I believe requiring second or third deposit would help the decision be made earlier.

Well it doesn’t look like there is any hope anymore. The FB group should be a good indication as to how many have made the decision already. Unless there are people in there who were not accepted yet. It’s weird that Iowa requires only one deposit, I believe requiring second or third deposit would help the decision be made earlier.
Okay, so 80 students have accepted to iowa. The class is full. Some students may change their minds in the near future about going to iowa and choose a different school, therefore opening a spot in which they will choose a student from the alternate list. So basically it’s a waiting game at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
A Facebook group is no indication of a class. I know some that never joined it.

All seats are full, just trying to gauge the overall likelihood of getting in off alternate list. I am planning on retaking DAT and re-applying for this upcoming cycle but obviously would love to get in this fall. Do any of you all know how common it is for students to get in off alternate list. Do like less than 5 get in off alternate list each year? Is that number closer to like 10 or 15? Just trying to get a feel for it.

Can you elaborate more on the potential March waitlist move etc.? Is this when most students get pulled from waitlist? Or what?

Can you elaborate more on the potential March waitlist move etc.? Is this when most students get pulled from waitlist? Or what?
The waitlist is impossible to gauge. March is a possibility as that’s when other schools tell each other and students must make a decision. There might be none that get off the waitlist there might be 20. No one knows. If I had to put a number it would be an average of 1-2 off the waitlist. I recommend planning for your next application cycle.

The waitlist is impossible to gauge. March is a possibility as that’s when other schools tell each other and students must make a decision. There might be none that get off the waitlist there might be 20. No one knows. If I had to put a number it would be an average of 1-2 off the waitlist. I recommend planning for your next application cycle.
Thanks Hunter, I am well into the process of re-applying. Just was curious how the alternate/waitlist worked. Given you are a current dental school student thought you would have some more insight on it. Was just trying to get a feel for how many are pulled off on average each year, appreciate it.

Thanks Hunter, I am well into the process of re-applying. Just was curious how the alternate/waitlist worked. Given you are a current dental school student thought you would have some more insight on it. Was just trying to get a feel for how many are pulled off on average each year, appreciate it.
Spoke to Rachel yesterday and she told me the same thing hunterdunc said previously.They never know how many people get pulled from the alternative list. It may be zero or it may be “x” amount. It varies from year to year.

Spoke to Rachel yesterday and she told me the same thing hunterdunc said previously.They never know how many people get pulled from the alternative list. It may be zero or it may be “x” amount. It varies from year to year.
Yup I assume they don't know for this year but was just asking for a rough estimate of the numbers from years past. I didn't know if it was only 1-3 students each year or if it was a common thing and 5-10 students normally get pulled off it. Just trying to get a feel, that's all.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup I assume they don't know for this year but was just asking for a rough estimate of the numbers from years past. I didn't know if it was only 1-3 students each year or if it was a common thing and 5-10 students normally get pulled off it. Just trying to get a feel, that's all.
They dont release that info. I Tried asking Rachel the same question and she said what i wrote on the last message.

I looked at posts of previous years, as far back as 2014, and it seems to be very true that the numbers do fluctuate. In more recent years, very few were pulled from the waitlist. In one year someone got an acceptance a week after they were waitlisted (🤞🤲), and I believe in 2014 or 2015 there were over 10 people who got acceptances in April and May. So it’s hard to tell, but I feel your pain though, I hate waiting too. It’s best to plan for next cycle, we’ve done all we can for this one 👍 Stressing about it won’t help you much, and if you need to retake the DAT like you said, it needs all your attention now.

They dont release that info. I Tried asking Rachel the same question and she said what i wrote on the last message.
Yes I know they don't release that info was just checking in and seeing if anyone knew of students that were admitted off the waitlist or knew of people who are currently students and had knowledge on it, thats all. Thanks for your info, and of course let's all keep updated on here if we hear anything!

I looked at posts of previous years, as far back as 2014, and it seems to be very true that the numbers do fluctuate. In more recent years, very few were pulled from the waitlist. In one year someone got an acceptance a week after they were waitlisted (🤞🤲), and I believe in 2014 or 2015 there were over 10 people who got acceptances in April and May. So it’s hard to tell, but I feel your pain though, I hate waiting too. It’s best to plan for next cycle, we’ve done all we can for this one 👍 Stressing about it won’t help you much, and if you need to retake the DAT like you said, it needs all your attention now
Nice work looking back, that is helpful. DAT definitely has all my attention right now (as well as last semester of undergrad). Keep updated if you have any more info or hear anything else.

You are welcome! Good luck in the next cycle let me know if any of you need anything.

Has anyone had any movement from the waitlist or heard of someone that did?

Has anyone had any movement from the waitlist or heard of someone that did?
I have not yet from Iowa, saw a few people say they got off waitlist from other schools tho. But nothing from UIowa.

Has anyone heard anything from Iowa yet? It looks like people were right when they said the FB group is no indication, it's at 110 members now. Also, do we know if Iowa has a deadline for people who are holding multiple seats?

Has anyone heard anything from Iowa yet? It looks like people were right when they said the FB group is no indication, it's at 110 members now. Also, do we know if Iowa has a deadline for people who are holding multiple seats?
March 15th was the deadline. I gave up my seat.

Has anyone been accepted of the waitlist?

just curious, i was deferred without interview in october, with my stats being higher than some who got interviews/acceptances OOS. What specifically causes Iowa to defer candidates?

Iowa cares about being a well-rounded applicant. They want you to do volunteering and participate in activities that you enjoy. You could have the highest dat and gpa and still get denied if you don’t have much shadowing/dental experience or volunteering. They want you to be passionate about dentistry, not just school and grades.

Iowa cares about being a well-rounded applicant. They want you to do volunteering and participate in activities that you enjoy. You could have the highest dat and gpa and still get denied if you don’t have much shadowing/dental experience or volunteering. They want you to be passionate about dentistry, not just school and grades.
I had over 80 shadowing hours and over 250 volunteer hours during a covid cycle..., so must be something else.

I had over 80 shadowing hours and over 250 volunteer hours during a covid cycle..., so must be something else.
What are your stats if you don't mind sharing? If they are way too high and you are out of state, then Iowa might not even look at you. They don't want the highest scoring people. They want the people with the most compassion and empathy for people and for the state of Iowa. It could be your personal statement might be too generic or that they didn't like one particular thing in a letter of recommendation, who truly knows. I honestly think Iowa takes into account who you are as a person and not just the numbers (i.e GPA, DAT, #volunteer hours, #shadowing hours). You are more than just numbers, numbers can mean very little to who a person is.

i am from nebraska, which is probably a huge turnoff to iowa. 3.45 sGPA 3.55 cGPA 23aa 22 pat so not the most stellar but not bad by any means to be screened out based on stats
Beings there is two schools in Nebraska, I would say the could be a turnoff. We have a lot of our OOS from states without public dental schools (Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wisconsin). Things like this play a factors, but we also have some from Illinois, California, and Florida so who knows the true method to their madness. It's tough to say how they do any of it. There is one guarantee though they love Iowa grads even if you are from OOS and love IS applicants (~60-70% acceptance rate once an interview is given to IS residents). This is what I know for sure and the demographics that I am aware of.

Reactions: 4 users
Any news about waitlist movement??
Also, does anyone know if being on the waitlist help or improve our chances for this upcoming cycle at all?

Also, does anyone know if being on the waitlist help or improve our chances for this upcoming cycle at all?
I know of a current student who was accepted 2 weeks before classes started a couple years ago, so you could still hear back at any time this summer. And being waitlisted doesn’t have any impact on your next application cycle. I’ve known several applicants who have been waitlisted multiple cycles. You can use it to your advantage to show what you have improved since the previous cycle

I know of a current student who was accepted 2 weeks before classes started a couple years ago, so you could still hear back at any time this summer. And being waitlisted doesn’t have any impact on your next application cycle. I’ve known several applicants who have been waitlisted multiple cycles. You can use it to your advantage to show what you have improved since the previous cycle
iowa likes reapplicants...

iowa likes reapplicants...
Yes they like reapplicants because they know you’re persistent and this is the career you want. But I said being on the waitlist will not have an impact on your next cycle

Yes they like reapplicants because they know you’re persistent and this is the career you want. But I said being on the waitlist will not have an impact on your next cycle
my apologies if you interpreted that i was challenging your comment
i agree that it has no impact on the next cycle
the reapplicants need to enquire what their deficiencies may be and work to improve for the next cycle...

my apologies if you interpreted that i was challenging your comment
i agree that it has no impact on the next cycle
the reapplicants need to enquire what their deficiencies may be and work to improve for the next cycle...
i should have replied to @savethetooths

Im a second time replicant. In 2019-2020 cycle I applied and was waitlisted. 2020-2021 cycle I did master program to improve grades and didn’t apply to dental school. 2021-2022 cycle applied to Iowa and waitlisted again. It didn’t help me to have been previously waitlisted.

In hindsight I should have spoken with Rachel the first time I was waitlisted. I spoke with her this cycle after being waitlisted for the second time and she gave me good feedback. Basically needed more community service hrs and more recent shadowing time. Had I spoken with her the first time I got waitlisted I feel like I could have improved in those specific areas and been accepted this cycle. If your going to reapply this cycle and you didn’t schedule one of those phone conversations to get feed back Earlier this year I would try to reach out. Hopefully they can let you know what areas you need to improve.

In hindsight I should have spoken with Rachel the first time I was waitlisted. I spoke with her this cycle after being waitlisted for the second time and she gave me good feedback. Basically needed more community service hrs and more recent shadowing time. Had I spoken with her the first time I got waitlisted I feel like I could have improved in those specific areas and been accepted this cycle. If your going to reapply this cycle and you didn’t schedule one of those phone conversations to get feed back Earlier this year I would try to reach out. Hopefully they can let you know what areas you need to improve.
Totally agree!! Her advice is super helpful :)

Which masters program did you complete?

Which masters program did you complete?

M.S in oral health sciences at Boston University. Great program and would highly recommend it if your having difficulty getting into dental school. I got into other dental schools but my top choice is Iowa.