undergraduate teaching at a medschool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone known an oncologist or radiologist supplementing their income (or bridging to retirement) via working for a medical school? our speciality is IMO very suitable for teaching in basic sciences (anatomy), test preps, and pre-clinical stuff.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. I knew an attending that worked a half day a week with 1st and 2nd year med students to help prepare them for clinics. Learning how to write H&P, physical exam findings, etc. Have no idea the compensation.

No, that was most likely an unpaid assignment that goes along with a clinical faculty appointment. I used to be Assistant Professor at a university-based RadOnc department in NY and did a bunch of stuff like that (it was fun, but did not pay).

Yes. I knew an attending that worked a half day a week with 1st and 2nd year med students to help prepare them for clinics. Learning how to write H&P, physical exam findings, etc. Have no idea the compensation.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, that was most likely an unpaid assignment that goes along with a clinical faculty appointment. I used to be Assistant Professor at a university-based RadOnc department in NY and did a bunch of stuff like that (it was fun, but did not pay).

Yea, I'm not sure. I figured she would. She did clinical work at one program and had an adjunct position at another medical school where she did the teaching. Maybe it was just for fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, often for academic faculty it’s a gateway to promotion rather than a bonus

I wouldn't call hanging with students as a gateway.. only hard clinical work will get you from assistant professor of RadOnc to associate professor.

Depends on the department. In our department a lot of it’s driven by teaching research and/or service

Reactions: 1 user
That's nice. Pretty rare in RadOnc IMO. Did you have a points-based system for promotion ? (e.g. X points for a paper, Y points for teaching a class)?

Depends on the department. In our department a lot of it’s driven by teaching research and/or service

Not necessarily point based but there are multiple people in our department who are promoted more on the teaching service side compared to the research side

Reactions: 1 users