UMass Medical School Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Meeting up sounds like a great idea! I work in the Longwood area as well...maybe we can meet for lunch or after work?

I don't have facebook though - could you guys let me know of the plans?

Alright! we've got 2!

Any other takers for a UMass meet-up? :)

Members don't see this ad.

It is so exciting! I was browsing, but I think I'm going to wait and see what stuff we're given. I know at other schools some things are given as gifts (usually purchased by the outgoing class), including stethoscopes.

As a current first year, I thought I would answer a few of the questions I saw on here.

You don't receive any gifts when you come in. The only instrument you need for first year is a stethoscope. For first year it doesn't matter how fancy it is but Littman Cardios are the most recommended. We never had a white coat ceremony (one of few schools without one) but I heard that they are going to start one for your class.

The June 6th orientation is completely different from the second look day. At the orientation they basically give you a bunch of info and handouts for what to do in August and dates that you need to take care of during the summer and there is also a roommate survey that they have so you can see who is looking for roommates and talk to them.

As for when people move out here it varies but most do it middle to end of July. I believe the apt complexes around here have leases that start at your convienence but they also have representatives from the various apt complexes at the orientation in June.

As another current first year, I have to disagree with the previous poster. I don't remember ANYONE saying cardios are recommended. They are expensive, and not nearly as versatile as the ES II. What happens when you are assigned a preceptor who only works with infants? That honking cardio stethoscope is not going to do you any good...

That said the best recommendation I received was to WAIT. I know it's hard, everyone is super excited, parents want to give graduation gifts etc. But you will get a sense within the first month of class of what you really truly need, and what is simply just fun to have. (And when the loan man is paying for it, sometimes those "fun to haves" have to wait) I know plenty of people getting by with the $20 steth's that they sell in any medical supply store.

Sorry for butting my nose in, but I just felt I needed to speak up. If anyone has *any* questions about anything shoot me a pm or better yet an email (at the risk of losing anonymity) you all what it is and you know I check it like every five minutes.

See most of you guys soon!

~C

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So.. I've been looking into housing in the Worcester area. I know we are going to get some info on this during the June 6 orientation, but since I'm not currently based in MA, I'm trying to get a handle on options ahead of time so that I'm prepared to view some apartments over that weekend. My questions are:

1. Do any current students have advice on the best areas of town or types of housing for medical students? I'm hoping to get my own apartment in either a building or house. I've been looking on craigslist, but don't know what areas to focus on.

2. Does UMass have a gym that med students have access to? If so, is it decent, and is it fairly easy to get time on the equipment (not too crowded)? I'd like to have access to a gym, and am trying to decide if I need to focus on apartment complexes which include one.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Joining the fray! Got accepted to MD/PhD on 3/14. Looking for housing and housemates, now that I've sobered up after my celebrations :p Anyone interested, do send a PM. I'm looking to move to Worcester from California as soon as I find the housing, probably early May.

Looking forward to meeting all you good people in the fall!

Hey blinkomom,

Congrats! I also applied MD/PhD but am still waiting to hear .. yuck. Anyways, do you (or does anyone) know of anyone else that has been accepted MD/PhD? You're the first person I've come across in months of searching on sdn, so I'm just curious as to my chances ... gotta love this game.

Congrats again, and good luck! :)

So.. I've been looking into housing in the Worcester area. I know we are going to get some info on this during the June 6 orientation, but since I'm not currently based in MA, I'm trying to get a handle on options ahead of time so that I'm prepared to view some apartments over that weekend. My questions are:

1. Do any current students have advice on the best areas of town or types of housing for medical students? I'm hoping to get my own apartment in either a building or house. I've been looking on craigslist, but don't know what areas to focus on.

2. Does UMass have a gym that med students have access to? If so, is it decent, and is it fairly easy to get time on the equipment (not too crowded)? I'd like to have access to a gym, and am trying to decide if I need to focus on apartment complexes which include one.

Thanks in advance for any information!

1. Most first years live within a 5 minute walk or 1-2 min drive to school. There are numerous apt complexes just down the street from the school. Most common ones for med students are Plantation Ridge, Plantation Towers, and Princeton Place. Depends on apt complex for pricing. Good amount of first years live in apts but there are usually numerous houses available near the school as well.

2. There is a gym but honestly it sucks. It has terribly old equipment and not much at that and is about 15 feet by 6 feet no joke. I would focus on apt complex with gym or join one of the local gyms nearby. There is a bally's and World gym (to which I and decent amount of med students go to and its only $20/month) which are both within 5 minutes of the med school. If you are serious about working out at a gym, I would strongly recommend joining one or using apt complex if it has a good one.

Last edited:
1. Most first years live within a 5 minute walk or 1-2 min drive to school. There are numerous apt complexes just down the street from the school. Most common ones for med students are Plantation Ridge, Plantation Towers, and Princeton Place. Depends on apt complex for pricing. Good amount of first years live in apts but there are usually numerous houses available near the school as well.

2. There is a gym but honestly it sucks. It has terribly old equipment and not much at that and is about 15 feet by 6 feet no joke. I would focus on apt complex with gym or join one of the local gyms nearby. There is a bally's and World gym (to which I and decent amount of med students go to and its only $20/month) which are both within 5 minutes of the med school. If you are serious about working out at a gym, I would strongly recommend joining one or using apt complex if it has a good one.

Thanks so much for all this information cooltime - It's something I've been looking into quite a bit... however I'm hoping to live on my own (at least at first...after 4 years on my own I'm not ready to jump back into living with roommates as well as get used to a med school schedule). Do most people live with roommates their first year? Would one have to have a roommate to afford these apt complexes, or can most people swing it off of the student loans?

I promise - I'll just calm down after these Qs and wait to ask more at 2nd look or June 6... :)

Don't worry about the asking the questions. I don't mind answering them. From what I can tell most kids do live with roommates or BF/GF but there are people who live by themselves.

You could probably swing it by yourself just depends on the place you choose to live. I live in a house so I'm not that familiar with the apt complexes but I do remember from looking at them that Plantation towers were like $1000/month if you didn't have a roommate and lived by yourself.

I know the other complexes are much cheaper than the towers. You just have to look around at the other places.

Hey all - Just a reminder that everyone's invited to Tavern on the Square in Central tomorrow. We are going to meet at the Starbucks that's right off the T (corner of Prospect and Mass Ave) at 7pm, and walk over to the Tavern at 7:15pm. The Tavern is on your left as you walk towards Harvard from Starbucks, a couple of blocks. PM me if you're coming so we know to look for you. Hope to see a lot of you! :)

Hope you guys had fun at your meet-up this weekend. I had some friends visiting from NYC so I couldn't join.

Just wondering - have you guys been paired up with student hosts yet for second look? I haven't gotten one yet, but I RSVP-ed a bit late (but before the deadline).

Hope you guys had fun at your meet-up this weekend. I had some friends visiting from NYC so I couldn't join.

Just wondering - have you guys been paired up with student hosts yet for second look? I haven't gotten one yet, but I RSVP-ed a bit late (but before the deadline).

No word about a host here!

Haven't heard a thing about student hosts! Hopefully soon...

Just got my financial aid package...anyone else considering the Learning Contract?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my financial aid package...anyone else considering the Learning Contract?

I would discuss with someone at the financial aid dept., but my understanding is that b/c the interest on the learning contract is deferred it is more economical than taking the equivalent amount in unsubsidized federal loans. So, I would probably recommend taking it regardless of what you think your future plans may be. And if you think there is a chance that you will fulfill the requirements, I would definitely take it.

Does anyone have any idea when the CORI form is fully processed?

Thanks!

Snowflake - what wormtown said. :thumbup:

Poob - You will get an email from the registrars office once your CORI is processed. If it's been more than a couple of weeks since you sent it in, I would call Barbara and check.

And now for my question - I need a new laptop, and there's nothing in the budget for that. Does anyone know if we can request a one-time COA increase to cover it like I've heard of at some other schools? I will call on Tues. to ask for sure, but I'm lusting after laptops this weekend and am impatient for info.

Lachlen, perhaps it could be included in the 'miscellaneous' portion?

Lachlen, perhaps it could be included in the 'miscellaneous' portion?

Hmm. Yeah, I thought about that, but had decided they wouldn't be that cruel. A modest laptop would take 25% out of that $$ that presumably you'd need for things like utilities, clothes, toiletries etc.

And now for my question - I need a new laptop, and there's nothing in the budget for that. Does anyone know if we can request a one-time COA increase to cover it like I've heard of at some other schools? I will call on Tues. to ask for sure, but I'm lusting after laptops this weekend and am impatient for info.

FYI, you can in fact get an increase for a computer. It has to be bought after the first day of classes and before the last (ie during the academic year), and you provide the receipts to the office for the increase. I hope my machine survives the summer, it smells funny at the moment. :p

I posted this in the secondary thread as well, but I was just wondering if any of you are bringing significant others/parents/guests to orientation on saturday.

I will be bringing a parent and my signif other.

I am bringing my hubby and 3 kids.

But these extras are only coming to the barbecue...

Hmmm... should I have my boyfriend come to the bbq and Boston Billiard's maybe? I just don't want to worry about him having a good time / make myself less approachable.

I can't stay for Boston Billiards, but if I were going to that then I would probably bring my bf. Not gonna subject him to the whole day for just the BBQ though (not that it's be torture or anything).

Not so good with posting on here - sort of a new post I think - but is anyone looking for a roommate at UMass? I just got in and need to find one!

I'm still looking for a roommate! I've been checking out some 2 and 3br houses/apartments within walking distance to the school. Let me know if thats something you'd be interested in!

Hey everyone...I started a facebook group for the class of 2013 so join up!!!

We actually have a group already just type in UMMS 2013 :)

Does anyone know if UMMS offers any computer discounts to students?