UMass Medical School Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowflake2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just starting up a thread for the Class of 2013...anyone else planning on (or considering) attending UMass? Congratulations to everyone accepted so far! Can't wait for August. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for making this Snowflake!! I'm really excited about UMass... Not definitely going, but very likely!

Let's start talking to our future classmates!

Deleted my post: turns out there's a second look April 24-25! See you all there!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello possible future classmates!

Have any of you guys done your financial aid stuff for UMass yet?

http://www.umassmed.edu/financialaid/process/som.aspx

They have an endless amount of forms to fill out and some of the questions I have no idea how to go about at this point. Choosing a lender?

I'm working on this right now!! I'm so confused...

Also, do you know when our FAFSA has to be filed by for UMass? I'm having the hardest time getting my parents to do their taxes early...

I'm working on this right now!! I'm so confused...

Also, do you know when our FAFSA has to be filed by for UMass? I'm having the hardest time getting my parents to do their taxes early...

I tried calling this morning but didn't get an answer. I wrote an email but they haven't written back. I'll keep you posted if I get any more info.

I contacted the UMass financial aid office and they said "You will be a graduate student so you do NOT put parental financial information on the FAFSA. Your parents’ information will go on the CSS Profile." But many other schools require the parental section on FAFSA to be filled in...are you all filling in the parental section on FAFSA anyways? Is it okay to use my parents' 2007 tax info as an estimate for now and do an update later? (my parents won't be finished with their taxes for this year for at least a month...)

Here's the good word:

"1. We are working on a lender comparison chart. Due to the "issues"
with the economy, some of our usual lenders have not given us any
information yet. You don't have to choose a lender yet. Just indicate
on the application that you have not decided yet. That is what we did
last year. We will get information to you before you have to make your
decision.

As for the amount of financial aid you should apply for, if you are
planning on financing your entire "cost of attendance" (tuition, fees,
books, supplies, room & board, transportation, misc., etc.) with
financial aid, put "maximum" or $40,500. (maximum amount of Stafford
Loans for a medical student.) Between that and the Learning Contract
(currently $5568) your expenses will be more than covered. (approx.
$42,000 for a first year student.) We will adjust the actual amount &
types right before it is disbursed and also, you can change the amount
when you have a better idea of what you will actually need. The amount
you put on the application is not absolute- it is just an estimate. It
is hard to know exactly the amount you will need so far in advance.
Don't worry about it.

2. All parental financial information is put in the CSS Profile. The
link is on our website. For graduate students, NO parental financial
goes on the FAFSA. We ask for parental financial information only if you
are applying for institutional aid (need based). It is not necessary if
you are applying for Stafford Loans only. They will need to have their
2008 Federal income tax information in order to fill out the CSS
Profile.

The application deadline for institutional aid applications is April 15,

In a few weeks, you will be receiving a financial aid information packet
with all the instructions."

I contacted the UMass financial aid office and they said "You will be a graduate student so you do NOT put parental financial information on the FAFSA. Your parents’ information will go on the CSS Profile." But many other schools require the parental section on FAFSA to be filled in...are you all filling in the parental section on FAFSA anyways? Is it okay to use my parents' 2007 tax info as an estimate for now and do an update later? (my parents won't be finished with their taxes for this year for at least a month...)

I'm going to put parental information on the FAFSA anyways unless they actually prohibit it as all the other schools appear to require it on the FAFSA for institutional aid. If UMass doesn't want it there I don't see why they can't just ignore it. It'd be a pain to submit the FAFSA with parental information for all schools and then have to re-submit it without parental information just for UMass.

I'm also using 2007 tax info for now because one of my schools has a deadline in early March (and I doubt my parents will be done with their taxes by then). A few schools have told me that this is okay but be sure to update your FAFSA later on when you h ave 2008 tax information. I'm not sure on UMass' policy in particular on this. They might require exact information since they are giving us until 2008 tax return due date to turn in the FAFSA and other forms.

Thanks Zpiff for posting that info!

Thanks for all the info guys!!

I'm also putting my parents' info on the FAFSA, because all the other schools require it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! That was really helpful. I think that I am going to do the same.

I'm going to put parental information on the FAFSA anyways unless they actually prohibit it as all the other schools appear to require it on the FAFSA for institutional aid. If UMass doesn't want it there I don't see why they can't just ignore it. It'd be a pain to submit the FAFSA with parental information for all schools and then have to re-submit it without parental information just for UMass.

I'm also using 2007 tax info for now because one of my schools has a deadline in early March (and I doubt my parents will be done with their taxes by then). A few schools have told me that this is okay but be sure to update your FAFSA later on when you h ave 2008 tax information. I'm not sure on UMass' policy in particular on this. They might require exact information since they are giving us until 2008 tax return due date to turn in the FAFSA and other forms.

Hey Everyone,

I was accepted last week and will most likely attend UMASS in August. :) Has anybody asked the Financial Aid office whether including parental information on the FAFSA would make a difference or not? So far, those who have posted sound like you will just include that information.

I'm so excited about UMASS! Has anyone started to look for apartments or figure out where to live yet?

I would love to get to know some classmates!
I'm from Boston and work at Brigham & Women's Hospital doing research at the moment.

I would love to get to know some classmates!
I'm from Boston and work at Brigham & Women's Hospital doing research at the moment.

Hey BlueTango! I'm doing research at Children's right now right across the street! It would be fun if a bunch of us in the area got together for lunch or something!

I am still working on my taxes and FAFSA! Does anyone know whether submitting the financial aid application sooner versus later have an effect?

Also, I received an email about the Second look weekend a while ago. Anyone planning to go?

I am still working on my taxes and FAFSA! Does anyone know whether submitting the financial aid application sooner versus later have an effect?

Also, I received an email about the Second look weekend a while ago. Anyone planning to go?

I'm guessing it's better to have the financial aid in earlier, just in general... but I'm sure if you get it in before the deadline there's no problem.

And I'm definitely going to Second Look!! :D

Hey everyone! I was accepted today, and think my chances of attending are very high. Definitely planning on second look weekend!

So, I was looking on craigslist just to check out housing, and found this - http://worcester.craigslist.org/apa/1063600053.html It has to be a scam right? (Here in Boston people post fake ads and try to get people to pay a deposit sight unseen.)

Speaking of housing, I'll be looking for a roommate who's down with the feline side of life. PM me if you want to chat a bit before 2nd look. :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know when med students generally move out to UMass? For June 1? July 1? August 1? I wasn't sure what month was best to find a lease out there ... and I am slowly getting used to the idea of moving away from the city lifestyle of Boston. :)

See you all at second look weekend!

Does anyone know when med students generally move out to UMass? For June 1? July 1? August 1? I wasn't sure what month was best to find a lease out there ... and I am slowly getting used to the idea of moving away from the city lifestyle of Boston. :)

See you all at second look weekend!

I was wondering the same thing - July 1 gives time to settle in, but I don't want to give up my last month in the city (plus it would complicate work). What are you thinking?

I would think it wouldn't be hard to find a lease either month, neither one being beginning or end of summer.

Since so many people work in either Cambridge (MIT labs) and the Longwood Medical Area, if we all move in July 1st, I am sure we can car-pool to work. Thoughts? It is also very easy to sublet out your room in the city.

Anyone looking at stethoscopes? Littman Cardio III or just the Littman Classic II SE?
So exciting!

Since so many people work in either Cambridge (MIT labs) and the Longwood Medical Area, if we all move in July 1st, I am sure we can car-pool to work. Thoughts? It is also very easy to sublet out your room in the city.

I can't be of much help in the carpooling department. I don't have a car currently, just a motorcycle, and I'm not sure when exactly I'll buy a car, maybe not until after school has started and my loans have come in. However, if someone would be willing to let me hitch a ride with them, I can certainly chip in for gas/tolls.

Anyone looking at stethoscopes? Littman Cardio III or just the Littman Classic II SE?
So exciting!

It is so exciting! I was browsing, but I think I'm going to wait and see what stuff we're given. I know at other schools some things are given as gifts (usually purchased by the outgoing class), including stethoscopes.

Joining the fray! Got accepted to MD/PhD on 3/14. Looking for housing and housemates, now that I've sobered up after my celebrations :p Anyone interested, do send a PM. I'm looking to move to Worcester from California as soon as I find the housing, probably early May.

Looking forward to meeting all you good people in the fall!

I think I will look for housing for either July 1 or August 1...haven't decided yet - depends on when I can get out of my current lease (my current landlord is not being very flexible...). I guess our first day is on August 13? What is First Year Parent Orientation?

http://www.umassmed.edu/uploadedFiles/0910Summary.pdf

I was wondering the same thing - July 1 gives time to settle in, but I don't want to give up my last month in the city (plus it would complicate work). What are you thinking?

I would think it wouldn't be hard to find a lease either month, neither one being beginning or end of summer.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of registration to second look or if there is a website of some sort with more information? I don't know why I haven't gotten an email about it.

Hope to see you all there :)

Does anyone know if there is some sort of registration to second look or if there is a website of some sort with more information? I don't know why I haven't gotten an email about it.

Hope to see you all there :)

I was wondering this exact same thing! I got the flyer and the e-mail, but I never saw any way to RSVP.

I was wondering this exact same thing! I got the flyer and the e-mail, but I never saw any way to RSVP.

On the flyer it says to RSVP by April 15th by emailing [email protected]. Someone responded to my RSVP really quickly with some questions (will you attend classes? do you need an overnight host? etc.) and said they'd send a more detailed email with a schedule for the weekend as it got closer. Hope that helps!

On the flyer it says to RSVP by April 15th by emailing [email protected]. Someone responded to my RSVP really quickly with some questions (will you attend classes? do you need an overnight host? etc.) and said they'd send a more detailed email with a schedule for the weekend as it got closer. Hope that helps!

Thanks!! I tend to miss the details...

I'm a little confused about the second look weekend...is this different from the June 6 thing?? I've seen a bunch of emails about the June 6 orientation event but nothing about second look weekend... Any clarifications?

hey future classmates,

facebook group yet?

I'm a little confused about the second look weekend...is this different from the June 6 thing?? I've seen a bunch of emails about the June 6 orientation event but nothing about second look weekend... Any clarifications?

Yes, it's different. I believe June 6 is for students who are definitely planning on attending, whereas second look is also for people still deciding. Anyway, 2nd look is the 23rd and 24th of this month, you should have gotten an email yesterday I think? At least I did...

hey future classmates,

facebook group yet?

Not that I know of. ??

Hey everyone -

I currently am a Boston (...well Brookline) resident who will be attending UMass in the Fall. I am definitely interested in meeting up with anyone in the area to discuss our future in Worcester (ugh, the state Med school should definitely be in the capital city!!)

I also need a roommate for the fall. I was thinking more along the lines of Aug 1st. I have to pay my lease in Brookline till Sept 1st, so I am trying to live there as long as possible. I know a few people who are past Worcester residents, so hopefully I will be getting some information on the best places to live.

Hopefully I will be talking to/seeing you soon. I RSVPed to Second Look weekend yesterday :)

hey future classmates,

facebook group yet?

I think there is a general one (not class specific). Type in UMass Medical and it should come up!

Floffle - and anyone else interested,

Bluetango and I had actually spoken about a bunch of us in the area meeting up for lunch or something! She works in the Longwood area as do Linguini and I.

Would anyone who lives/works around here be up for meeting before Second Look at some point? I live in Brighton which is right near Brookline so it shouldn't be too hard for us :)

It would be fun to meet all of our fellow acceptees!

I live in Brookline too...would love to meet up with people somewhere in the area!

Alright! we've got 2!

Any other takers for a UMass meet-up? :)

Dunno why my message posted like 20 times... deleting!

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I started a facebook group: UMMS 2013. Let's talk about meeting there!

:)

i think we overloaded the website HAHAHA

Hahahaha.... nice Bluetango! I think we accidentally angered the SDN gods....