UM vs FIU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SportsAreFun

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Man that's a tough one. I'd go FIU but UM has a huge teaching hospital. Then again, you wouldn't even be rotating at Jackson. Where do FIU students do rotations? You seem to be more comfortable with FIU not to mention you already have a scholarship.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think you need to realize that you're not burning bridges if you choose to go to UM. those mentors want to see you do your best and live up to your full potential. They would want the same for themselves if they were in your shoes (and if they're doctors then they were once in your shoes). Reading this years FIU thread I think it's apparent the issues related with the newer program and you'll have more doors open at UM. Your mentors know this as well. Both are in Miami so you could easily maintain your relationships with them if you choose UM. This is an important decision about your life, and it shouldn't be influenced by what you assume your mentors will feel if you make a decision that you think they may not like.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to let you know that you actually can rotate at jackson in the md-mph program. I met a 3rd year at second look for UM who is moving back down to Miami for his entire 4th years. At minimum you have the option of doing your entire 4th year in Miami. In addition the 4th years in the md/mph program spoke to how rotating at JFK medical center gave them more 1-on-1 time with attendings during 3rd year because there was substantially less residents and fellows but still had a very diverse/unique patient population. That being said about your pros and cons I wouldn't let step deter you considering it's so largely based on the individual. UM's match list is always very strong so they have to be doing something right in the step realm. That being said being at a new school offers the advantage of extremely supportive administration as they are still working to spread their name (aka the students success is vital). Best of luck to you!