RFU CMS vs FIU HWCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightelighte134

Reaction score
As of right now, I'm interested in FM, IM, anesthesia, neurology, and gen surg potentially. No intense commitment to anything specific right now. Both schools match decently well and had virtually similar match rates for specialties except for anesthesia and gen surg. (RF had higher anesthesia last year (11% vs FIU 5%) while FIU had higher gen surg (10% vs RF 6%)).

RFU CMS
Pros
  • Ability to rotate in Chicago
  • P/F

Cons
  • Not a huge research school, but there is opportunities and research grants available.

FIU HWCOM
Pros
  • Florida weather (not a huge fan of Midwest 8 month Winter)
  • More focused on community health which I am interested in
  • Would qualify for in-state tuition after one year (~35K vs RFU 70K)
  • New curriculum that current students during interview day seemed to like.
  • P/F

Cons
  • Although research seems to be emphasized in their curriculum, it still seems a bit difficult to secure opportunities.
  • Potential admin issues, I asked current students about it and it seemed that the school has made the appropriate corrections with all the changes they have made. Students seem to be very happy with the school.
  • Internal rank

Summary: Honestly both schools seem somewhat similar and share advantages (curriculum grading) and disadvantages (no home residency program, not a ton of research). Based on that, FIU seems to be a better choice (cheaper and nice weather), but was seeing if any current/past students or others have any input that should be considered. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.