UCLA v Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warmsoup

Reaction score
Hi! I'm deciding between Miami and UCLA and need some help. Assuming same COA for both.

Miami Pros:
  • 14-month preclinical
  • P/F preclinical
  • Matches well into Florida (Florida is where I’m from and also where I want to eventually end up)
  • Closer to my family and support system (within a day’s driving distance)
Miami Cons:
  • AOA
  • Ranked into quartiles
  • Graded clinicals
  • Required 8am-12pm classes every day
UCLA Pros:
  • True P/F, both preclinical and clinical without rank (except 4th year)
  • 12 month preclinical
  • No AOA
  • T20 school
  • LA weather
UCLA Cons:
  • Far from family and support system (it's like a 6 hour flight from family)
  • This entire thread scares me: UCLA Medical School in Crisis
  • seems like a lot of required class time during first year, but less frequent/consistent than everyday like Miami
I am interested in a few competitive (ortho, anesthesia, rads) and also some less competitive specialties (PM&R). I would like to match into residency in Florida which is why I am hesitant on choosing UCLA. Prior to reading the UCLA med school in crisis thread I would not have hesitated to choose UCLA... Now, I am questioning if it’s worth moving across the country for.

A note on their curriculums: Both curriculums have a similar format of a condensed preclinical year/14 months, clerkships second year, and then third year is flexible and allows for you to do research which i really like. Is UCLA's true P/F for 3 years really worth all the hype?

Members don't see this ad.

If your concern is matching back to FL, then UCLA won’t close doors for you and you should definitely go there.

If your concern is spending 4 years away from friends/family, then you should go to Miami.

UCLA is objectively the much better school, especially if COA is the same. I would only choose Miami if spending 4 years in LA is going to be an issue for you

Reactions: 5 users