UCLA School of Dentistry Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year's thread: *** The Official UCLA School of Dentistry Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Hey guys! Definitely early for this but if you have any questions about applying to UCLA or about its program, post here! There are some incoming D1s on here, tons of D2s like @coldicecream & @futuredentista2023, I'm a D3, and there are also rising D4s like @californiway21 and @acesofseven.

General Stats:
Will update for 2024 when it's published!

Class of 2023
Overall GPA
: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.73
DAT: 23AA, 23TS, 22PAT
Class of 2022
Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 3.77
Class of 2021
Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 3.70
DAT: 22AA, 22TS, 22PAT
Class of 2020
Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 3.73

General Info:
Prereqs: Info here. AP Credit accepted, but there are limitations on CC credit and no online classes are allowed (* exception due to COVID19 *). Not required at time of application, but must be complete by 6/30/2021-can't take any prereqs in the summer right before you start.
DAT: Must be taken before 12/31/2020, and if already taken, must be within a 3-year period (after 1/1/2018) (* exception due to COVID19 *).
Class size: 88 seats
Grading system: P/F/H
Quarter System! Academic year is 3 10-week quarters plus 1 9-week summer (15 total sessions)
----> Here's our academic calendar in case you're wondering how a quarter system looks.
Research Intensive, about 70% of students specialize
Clinic starts Summer of D2 (new! They made it earlier for 2022 and beyond)
Graduate Housing available!
Can establish residency after 1 year
(instate tuition)
Regarding the curriculum: Anyone curious about the curriculum here at UCLA can browse this schedule below for each of the 4 years. There is typically a final for each class that is scheduled. UCLA Dentistry Curriculum Calendar

Regarding interview prep: University of California Los Angeles School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Q&A that might be helpful, about 1st year mostly: artist2022 Q&A

UCLA ASDA: Find us on instagram @uclaasda & @ucla_asda_predental to see what dental school is like + get access to workshops!

Good luck everyone!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Current applicant here, confused on how to interpret a supplemental question: How do you incorporate Diversity and Inclusion in your life?
I'm unsure if the question is asking how I will contribute to UCLA's community and add to its diversity OR how I advocate for marginalized populations in my life. I would appreciate any advice you have on this! Thank you :)

Hi! Current applicant here, confused on how to interpret a supplemental question: How do you incorporate Diversity and Inclusion in your life?
I'm unsure if the question is asking how I will contribute to UCLA's community and add to its diversity OR how I advocate for marginalized populations in my life. I would appreciate any advice you have on this! Thank you :)
I think it's the latter! How do you currently do this

Members don't see this ad :)
@artist2022

Good day, just wanted to know what you make of this—seeing as how you’re a current student at UCLA’s School of Dentistry.

8F365410-87B6-47A8-ABD2-56EF513A3A8E.jpeg

@artist2022

Good day, just wanted to know what you make of this—seeing as how you’re a current student at UCLA’s School of Dentistry.

View attachment 311554
I'm not quite sure what you're asking? I think it means that they're making it optional to take the DAT this year but if you do take it, it will be looked at and considered.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not quite sure what you're asking? I think it means that they're making it optional to take the DAT this year but if you do take it, it will be looked at and considered.

Do you think UCLA’s review process will still favor those applicants with DAT scores readily available as opposed to those without who may have compiled a comparatively greater number of external experiences along with a good institutional academic record? Wouldn’t this make it more difficult for the admissions committee to make decisions concerning who will be invited for an interview?

Do you think UCLA’s review process will still favor those applicants with DAT scores readily available as opposed to those without who may have compiled a comparatively greater number of external experiences along with a good institutional academic record? Wouldn’t this make it more difficult for the admissions committee to make decisions concerning who will be invited for an interview?
In my opinion (and I am not on the admission committee or any such thing, so this is just my personal opinion and should not be taken as cold, hard fact), I think yes they might still favor applicants with DAT scores because the majority of people (I would assume), take their DAT before the application cycle opens, and would have taken their DAT before March when lockdown started too. In addition, Prometric is opening back up again, allowing people to reschedule and take their DAT, even if it's late in the cycle, so it's not like applicants are still not able to take it. DAT scores are basically the one and only equalizer dental schools have to compare applicants with (because GPAs can vary so greatly between different institutions), so I think those with DAT scores (as long as they are adequate, <20 would be a bit of a question) would be favored over those without.... Again, it's all just my opinion and I don't know how UCLA's admissions office will operate this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email from admissions instructing me to pay the $60 fee and to look for "App Complete" 2 weeks after submitting my fee.

OOS Applicant Here

Just paid supplemental fee today, waiting for application complete status.
Good Luck Everyone!

What are your guys' statuses on AADSAS?

My status still says "Received/Waiting Additional Information", even though I already paid the secondary fee, not sure if I should email them at this point or wait.

What are your guys' statuses on AADSAS?

My status still says "Received/Waiting Additional Information", even though I already paid the secondary fee, not sure if I should email them at this point or wait.
In the email where they sent the link to pay the fee they said it would take 2 weeks+ to process and for your status to change.

In the email where they sent the link to pay the fee they said it would take 2 weeks+ to process and for your status to change.

Itll be 2 weeks this upcoming Monday, so I'll wait for a little longer. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you waited for the email allowing you to pay, the status should change in 2-3 weeks. If you paid earlier, expect your application to be delayed because they explicitly said to wait.

It's going to take a bit of time for things to change on AADSAS because the school is focused on implementing protocols for summer since the quarter just started this week, and also because they're getting ready for CO 2024 to start in September too. Just be patient :1geek:

• Love
Does anyone have any ideas on how to answer these two supplemental questions?

"How would you assess your ability to ask for help and give one example of when you had to do so?" (350 characters)

"Please describe an experience where you failed at a task and what you learned from it. (350 characters) "
- does it matter if you choose an example from school or work?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to answer these two supplemental questions?

"How would you assess your ability to ask for help and give one example of when you had to do so?" (350 characters)

"Please describe an experience where you failed at a task and what you learned from it. (350 characters) "
- does it matter if you choose an example from school or work?
They are both pretty straight forward questions. Just answer the question that is being asked. Are you good at asking for help? Give us an example. Tell us about a time you failed at something. What did you learn?

It doesn’t matter where the experience is from. School, Work, Personal life, etc. just make sure to answer the question

• Dislike
They are both pretty straight forward questions. Just answer the question that is being asked. Are you good at asking for help? Give us an example. Tell us about a time you failed at something. What did you learn?

It doesn’t matter where the experience is from. School, Work, Personal life, etc. just make sure to answer the question
Do you think mentioning a class failure would be a "task" ? I wanted to write about this but I felt maybe its not what they are looking for

Do you think mentioning a class failure would be a "task" ? I wanted to write about this but I felt maybe its not what they are looking for
I think it could probably work, but I’m not going to pretend like I know exactly what adcoms want. If you have something more specific that may be better/easier to write about. Even if it was a project from the class or a specific assignment.

I think a class is too broad for what this question is asking. I would probably pick something else. Also, failing a class probably fits better into the "is there anything you'd like to mention that is not anywhere else on your app" type of question that some secondaries have.

I think it could probably work, but I’m not going to pretend like I know exactly what adcoms want. If you have something more specific that may be better/easier to write about. Even if it was a project from the class or a specific assignment.
I think a class is too broad for what this question is asking. I would probably pick something else. Also, failing a class probably fits better into the "is there anything you'd like to mention that is not anywhere else on your app" type of question that some secondaries have.
Thanks you! I agree. I will probably select a group project instead of an entire class.

My application was verified by AADSAS last week, I haven't received the link to pay for my supplemental yet. Was it automatically sent to others? Or was there a brief waiting period? Thanks! :)

My application was verified by AADSAS last week, I haven't received the link to pay for my supplemental yet. Was it automatically sent to others? Or was there a brief waiting period? Thanks! :)
It isn't sent immediately -- when I applied a few cycles ago, it took about 3 weeks for me to receive the go-ahead to pay the fee.

I submitted mine early July and got the email for the supplemental this past week so it definitely takes some time.

Does anyone know if UCLA accepts prerequisites from a community college? I will be applying next cycle hopefully.

People on the Dental School Admissions Bootcamp Facebook page said UCLA just sent out a round of interviews for 8/7

• Wow
People on the Dental School Admissions Bootcamp Facebook page said UCLA just sent out a round of interviews for 8/7
8/7?? A 5-day turnaround? I guess there's no need for time to plan for travel so they're scheduling them right away, wow

8/7?? A 5-day turnaround? I guess there's no need for time to plan for travel so they're scheduling them right away, wow
I'm not sure if it's said they'll be virtual vs. in person but in previous cycles, it was pretty common for the California schools to call you in for an interview the same week if they knew you were close based on your address.

Does anyone know when the first OOS interview invites are usually sent out for UCLA? Guessing they come out later than IS due to the proximity factor, just wondering how much later they would be sent out?

Does anyone know when the first OOS interview invites are usually sent out for UCLA? Guessing they come out later than IS due to the proximity factor, just wondering how much later they would be sent out?
They don't necessarily come "later", my previous message was more that for those "short-notice" interviews, they're for IS because it's easier for them to show up. But, seeing as interviews are virtual for us this year, honestly I wouldn't expect IS vs. OOS to play too large of a role in terms of when interviews are sent out (I imagine residency is more influential in turning that interview into an acceptance, since the UCs preferentially like to keep their residents).

Anyone who had their interview already, would you be able to share how the virtual experience was or what the format looked like? Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: 3 users
OOS student from Florida has been invited to interview this upcoming Friday (email sent out today). Confirmed on Facebook Dental School Admissions Bootcamp page.

Hello! Has anyone heard back from an interview from UCLA School of Dentistry recently?
Maybe Artist2022 knows more, but it seems like they hold an interview session on Friday’s and let students know about them on Monday or Tuesday. Saw some people on Facebook said they received invites last Tuesday for interviews last Friday.

Maybe Artist2022 knows more, but it seems like they hold an interview session on Friday’s and let students know about them on Monday or Tuesday. Saw some people on Facebook said they received invites last Tuesday for interviews last Friday.
Do you know how often they send out invites? every week? every other week?

Are you waiting to hear back for an interview? What are your stats?
Yeah, hoping for an interview. I’m OOS now but graduated HS in CA and lived there from birth until I was 21.
GPA (o/s) - 3.87/3.86 (4.0 in postbacc)
DAT - 26AA, 26TS, 26PAT
Business degree with 3 years work experience before changing careers.
submitted first day and verified early, but haven’t heard anything yet, so who knows

Yeah, hoping for an interview. I’m OOS now but graduated HS in CA and lived there from birth until I was 21.
GPA (o/s) - 3.87/3.86 (4.0 in postbacc)
DAT - 26AA, 26TS, 26PAT
Business degree with 3 years work experience before changing careers.
submitted first day and verified early, but haven’t heard anything yet, so who knows

Hopefully you'll be coming back to Cali, your stats look amazing! If you don't mind, how did you study for the DAT?

have u heard of anyone who completes UCLA School of Dentistry's post-bacc program (approx only 2 accepted per cycle) getting into UCLA School of Dentistry?
There are two people in my class who did that post-bacc ( I am a D2)

• Wow
How can I find out information about acceptance rate at UCLA. I interviewed with them already, and the school is my top choice. I would love to go there. Any help is appreciated. Thank you