UB Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TV09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's goin' on everyone? Just recently got in so I figured I would make a thread so we could get to know each other early and get through the matriculation stuff together and all that good stuff...

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, this thread isn't filling very fast :sleep:...but anyways, I just got accepted to UB yesterday and I'm very excited! The interview was quite tough, but I think it went well. I'm happy they only took 5 days to notify. I'm 31 and I've lived in Buffalo area my whole life...as a matter of fact, I've worked at the UB pharmacology department doing diabetes research for the last 9 years.

I just had my interview on Friday and they called me on Monday to tell me that I was accepted. YEAH! BlueCrayon, who have you done your diabetes research with?? I am very interested in that field of research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. Hello. I got accepted into UB a little over 2 weeks ago but I didn't know this thread existed till today. :) I'm from San Diego so I'm a little scared of moving to the other end of the country and being so far away from everyone I know but of course very excited at the same time! :D Nice to meet 'cha guys.

I am a member of the Class of 2012! Just found out this week!

Hi Blue Crayon,

I read your post above and I wondered what you thought was tough about the UB interview? I am interviewing at UB this week and any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I'm also a member of class of UB 2012 so I will see all of you in August

Hi Blue Crayon,

I read your post above and I wondered what you thought was tough about the UB interview? I am interviewing at UB this week and any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Aw crap...I'm sorry I didn't respond before your interview, I kind of forgot about this thread for a while. I assume you already had your interview, so it doesn't really matter anymore. How'd it go? Mine was tough because I ended up waiting in the hall for over an hour and a half and my interview took over a half hour. Many people were done in 15!

Hi Blue Crayon,

Thanks for your reply! I interviewed on 3-28 and it went great! I enjoyed meeting everyone there. I did receive an email on 4-1 saying I am waitlisted, so just trying to stay positive and hope I get a seat as everything shakes out! Thanks again.

Hey everyone. I was wondering if you guys (esp. Blue Crayon since I think your from he Buff area) have any suggestions for places to live? I'm pretty sure I wanna live by myself.

rxdr2b,
you should definitely stay positive. I was also waitlisted last year (im in the class of 2011), I was in the process of moving to boston (to go to MCPHS school of pharmacy) and they actually called me as late as mid july to come in for an interview and I was accepted, In fact there was about 30 people at that interview and at least 2/3 of them were accepted.

-good luck!!

Hi Kharyzma19,
Thanks for taking the time to post and for your positive note ! Wow, that had to be so stressful being in the midst of moving to Boston and then getting a call mid - july to interview!! Are you from Buffalo? Did you have to throw the brakes on and make a U-turn on the Mass turnpike?

RXDR2B

Hello Everyone! I found out a few days ago that I was accepted and i'm really excited to meet all of you. I'm from the area too so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Also, I created a facebook group for our class as a way to get to know each other better. It's titled University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy class of 2012. Sooo join it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi UBPharmGirl,

Congrats on getting accepted to UB! That's great!
Was wondering if you got accepted off of the wait list or directly from an interview you did? When did you interview?
Thanks for your reply .

hey everyone, I can't wait to meet you all in the fall!

ubpharmgal - I couldn't find the group you made on facebook, when I search all that comes up is the group for class of 2011

I'm not sure why the facebook group isn't working right. :( I'll have my facebook fanatic friend help me fix it. I had my interview on March 28th and got an acceptance email on April 2nd. I'm really excited..I was kind of stressed out about where I'm going to be living because a lot of people had already figured out their living situations; but I think I'm going to move into a house near Duffs on Millersport with some friends. Did anyone already take Biochemistry and is planning on getting it waved?

also, if anyone wants to chat my sn is Sweetiesk23..feel free

yeah,

I am from buffalo, I also got my under grad degree at UB. No I didin't have to do a U-turn on the mass pike, lol, I would never drive that distance, by plane its only 50 minutes to boston from buffalo.

well good luck!

Congratulations everyone! I'm sure we'll get to know each other pretty well soon enough...I'd be interested in joining the facebook site when it's working (I've never ever been a part of any of the social networking sites before)

Hey everyone. I was wondering if you guys (esp. Blue Crayon since I think your from he Buff area) have any suggestions for places to live? I'm pretty sure I wanna live by myself.

Honestly, even though I know most of the area and I've lived in WNY for 31 years, I am actually from about 30 minutes south of the city (Hamburg) so I really can't help you with where to live...I would suggest checking with other students who have already looked into the housing in the area.

I'm not sure why the facebook group isn't working right. :( I'll have my facebook fanatic friend help me fix it. I had my interview on March 28th and got an acceptance email on April 2nd. I'm really excited..I was kind of stressed out about where I'm going to be living because a lot of people had already figured out their living situations; but I think I'm going to move into a house near Duffs on Millersport with some friends. Did anyone already take Biochemistry and is planning on getting it waved?

Yes, actually to get a head start, I took Biochem and Phys 1 here at UB last semester and I am currently taking Micro and Phys 2 so I'll be waving all 4 of those classes. Unfortunately, I already took Biochem and Micro like 12 years ago, but they didn't transfer because it was too long ago, so I had to take them again. I think instead I'll be taking an elective that they recommend...it's NUR 505, I think it's called Pathophysiology for advanced practical nursing.

The facebook group seems to be working now...everyone should join it!

sweet, thanks for getting that set up

Hi everyone,

I will be moving to Buffalo for a year (from sunny southern California). I have no idea what to expect besides snow snow and more snow! I imagine this will be a big culture shock coming for a city girl like myself. I still need to find a company to have my Toyota Camry shipped over there as well. If anyone has any tips or helpful insight about Buffalo, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks and goodluck to everyone starting pharmacy school at UB!

Hi everyone,

I will be moving to Buffalo for a year (from sunny southern California). I have no idea what to expect besides snow snow and more snow! I imagine this will be a big culture shock coming for a city girl like myself. I still need to find a company to have my Toyota Camry shipped over there as well. If anyone has any tips or helpful insight about Buffalo, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks and goodluck to everyone starting pharmacy school at UB!

Yey, a fellow southern Californian! Wait, you're just moving to Buffalo for a year? I'm bringing my car as well, but I'll be driving it instead of having it shipped over.

I received a call from UB housing today. Unfortunately all the one-bedroom apartments are already gone so I had to take one of the 2 bedroom Creekside Townhouses. Anyone knows how these apartments are? They look pretty ok in the pictures.

Yes, only for a year. It's not for pharmacy school though. I could use some advice about housing in the area as well. Closest to Buffalo General Hospital :)

Hey all,

I'm an outgoing P3, starting rotations in the fall at UB...if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

Steve

Hi guys!
Congrats on getting into UB. I'm not going to be a pharm student at UB but I go to UB right now and I'm from the area so I can recommend places to live. In my opinion I think you're better off finding on campus housing b/c you'll pay far more on campus than you need to. FYI for those of you from out of town esp Cali. do not pay more than 800 or 900 for a 2 or 3 bed apt you just don't need to. As far as where to live the campus is in suburban Amherst so you could live in that area. Personally I live downtown Buffalo which is nice b/c there a lot of bars and restaurants to go to down there also it's very inexpensive to live. I would recommend checking artvoice or craigslist for apartments. Allentown and North Buffalo/Delaware PArk are nice areas as well as Elmwood Village (voted 1 of the top ten nieighborhoods in the US-don't know by whom) Anyway if anyone has any further questions you can private msg me.

I live in Allentown which is probably 1/2 mile from the hospital. It's a nice area and pretty reasonably priced too. WE pay $850/month for a 3 bed 1 bath (1000 sq approx) this includes gas and we pay our own electric which is huge in the winter since the heating is gas. Don't know when you need housing we're moving out Jul 31

Hi everyone, just thought I'd say hi and congratulations!

I'm going to be a UB P-2 next year, so let me know if you have any questions about anything.

Hope to see you in the fall!

Hey..I also a member University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy class of 2012...i got in through early assurance..I'm both nervous and excited

Note Slaitken's avitar. That is Thomas Kalman. You will learn to love the man.

Hey everyone! I just received one of the opening spots from the waiting list and I really want to attend UB but i've been in the process of moving to another pharmacy school. The other school is offering Direct loans for full COA there but I'm a little confused about loans at UB. What type of financial aid did you all receive. They don't have anymore scholarships available and Mr. Caito with financial aid said that I could only get a Stafford loan. I feel like I'm missing something. I think what's confusing me is the undergraduate status rather than professional/graduate status. Please give me any advice. I have until Monday to accept or decline the offer.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think what's confusing me is the undergraduate status rather than professional/graduate status. Please give me any advice. I have until Monday to accept or decline the offer.
Posted via Mobile Device

The first professional year at UB is considered undergraduate for purposes of tuition, financial aid and other assorted things. This holds true regardless of prior degrees or educational experience. The second through fourth years are all considered professional graduate years, and the tuition and aid received is adjusted accordingly.

The shift in status makes the finances seem pretty confusing at first, but it's very easy to work out in the end. I'd recommend talking to the SoPPS admissions office to see what they have to say.

has anyone heard anything about scholarship money?

i was accepted by early assurance so i havent heard much yet.

I've decided that it will not feasible for me to attend UB. Hopefully I can for postgraduate because I like UB for their research program. So there's an open spot for any other waitlisters out there. @dannygraves, all scholarships have been offered for the year and there aren't anymore available. You should check with Dr. Hess or Ms. Cynthia Acara to see if you received one. You may even be able talk to T. Caito, one of the financial advisors, about it. Hope that helps!

First of all congratulations on your decision!!

I'm not positive (since I didn't get one :(), but I thought the scholarship offers were supposed to be sent out with your offer of admission.

I've decided that it will not feasible for me to attend UB. Hopefully I can for postgraduate because I like UB for their research program. So there's an open spot for any other waitlisters out there. @dannygraves, all scholarships have been offered for the year and there aren't anymore available. You should check with Dr. Hess or Ms. Cynthia Acara to see if you received one. You may even be able talk to T. Caito, one of the financial advisors, about it. Hope that helps!

Hi everyone, just thought I'd say hi and congratulations!

I'm going to be a UB P-2 next year, so let me know if you have any questions about anything.

Hope to see you in the fall!

what class was the hardest for you during the fall semester of your p1 year?

The hardest class for me (and pretty much everyone else) was Biochem. The material itself wasn't too bad, but the exams didn't necessarily reflect what was taught all that well.

If you've already taken Biochem within the last five years, you'll most likely be able to waive the class and not have to worry about it (save your textbook if you did).

Hi everyone,

I was accepted at UB way back in February, but it took me 4 months to post my first response here. Anyways, I am an international transfer student from Toronto, Canada. I graduated with an HBSc in Neuro + Biochem from University of Toronto. I have already filled out a waiver form to waive Biochem, Physiology, and Microbiology. I need some help in chosing some of the electives that we all have to take. Maybe one of the P2 student can help me out in that. I haven't recieved any scholarship bcuz I am an international student, but I will definitely want to work part-time on campus. Doesn anyone know how/where to apply for part time jobs on campus? Recently I also got admitted to UW school of pharmacy in Waterloo, Canada, but I am still coming to UB to pursue Pharm.D. Any opinions/comments on that? All of you must have already registered for your P1 courses, but I can't as I have to wait till International Student Orientation that is being held in August. I will see you at the orientation in August and the White Coate Ceremony. Have an enjoyable and fun filled summer.

I have already filled out a waiver form to waive Biochem, Physiology, and Microbiology. I need some help in chosing some of the electives that we all have to take. Maybe one of the P2 student can help me out in that.

First off, congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing you here next year.

As far as electives go, the selection is pretty limited during the first semester of P-1 year. If you do get the waiver from Physiology, there is a Pathophysiology class that is offered in its place.

Second semester gives you a few more options, with three classes to pick from. I took two of them (Herbs and Phytomedicinals along with Radiopharmacy), with the third being an introduction to research class (not for me).

The majority of the electives that you can take come during your P-3 year, depending on which track you choose (you'll hear all about the tracks during orientation). Also, being a foreign student, if you want to work in the States during the summer, there's a class to enroll in so that you can keep your student visa.

There are different work study jobs available on campus, but if you're actually looking for good money, you might be better off applying to something off campus (provided you have a car).

First off, congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing you here next year.

As far as electives go, the selection is pretty limited during the first semester of P-1 year. If you do get the waiver from Physiology, there is a Pathophysiology class that is offered in its place.

Second semester gives you a few more options, with three classes to pick from. I took two of them (Herbs and Phytomedicinals along with Radiopharmacy), with the third being an introduction to research class (not for me).

The majority of the electives that you can take come during your P-3 year, depending on which track you choose (you'll hear all about the tracks during orientation). Also, being a foreign student, if you want to work in the States during the summer, there's a class to enroll in so that you can keep your student visa.

There are different work study jobs available on campus, but if you're actually looking for good money, you might be better off applying to something off campus (provided you have a car).

Hi Slaitken, this is a great help and I really appreciate it. Looking forward to see you in fall. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone bought/looked up the price for thebooks for summer homework? I checked out the prices on amazon... If anyone knows for how much they are sold at UB, then please quote the prices to me, so that I know where to buy it from. Thanks in advance.

hi all... got an e-mail from housing saying the only space left is in Flickinger Court Graduate and Family Housing Complex. Any advice. Is there really alot of families living there? Should i go elsewhere?

Hi everyone!!

Congratulations to everyone!! I'm from Miami, FL and moving up there seems a little scary to me too, even though I worked at RPCI for three months last summer doing research, the thought of all that snow make me a little uneasy.
I am looking for housing on campus and haven't heard anything yet, but I would actually rather room with someone that is also in the pharmacy program at UB. :) So if there is anyone out there that is looking for a room mate or knows another pharmacy student that is it would be a great help!

Everyone rest assure! Apart form the cold weather Buffalo is a great city, and the program offered here is like no other! I turned down 6 schools to go here, and I think I made the right choice!:)

you guys will be fine. the most annoying class is pharmaceutical calculations, a test every other week. They grade like *******s but what can you do. The other class to look out for is physiology. Focus on that class, i think it may be one of the more important classes, but a couple of the units are a little difficult. ie) renal(1st semster), endocrine (2nd semester),cardiac (2nd). The way they grade in that class is very annoying.

otherwise, you will be very busy bees. have fun, work hard. meet people at orientation, because these are people that become your best friends

oh by the way, you get tested a lot. I think i took 52 tests over the course of the year

hey they called back now they put me in creekside apts. Now if they would only let me know what my financial aid is :confused: thanks for the info on classes quicksilver

hey everyone! I just found out about this network today! lol im so late, but congrats and hope to see you all this august. I didnt get much financial aid so I took out mostly loans to pay for the expenses. I hope it gets better next year once we qualified for graduate standings. Anyways, i bought my books through amazon so it was a bit cheaper. take care and have a great summer!

you guys will be fine. the most annoying class is pharmaceutical calculations, a test every other week. They grade like *******s but what can you do. The other class to look out for is physiology. Focus on that class, i think it may be one of the more important classes, but a couple of the units are a little difficult. ie) renal(1st semster), endocrine (2nd semester),cardiac (2nd). The way they grade in that class is very annoying.

otherwise, you will be very busy bees. have fun, work hard. meet people at orientation, because these are people that become your best friends

oh by the way, you get tested a lot. I think i took 52 tests over the course of the year

was Pharmaceutical Care 1 hard?...and is it really compulsory to do the summer homework?

was Pharmaceutical Care 1 hard?...and is it really compulsory to do the summer homework?

Pharm Care 1 is not too difficult. It involves a lecture and lab component, both of which cover the basic foundations. In lab, you'll learn how to do some very simple compounding and use the equipment properly, as well as some mock patient counseling sessions. The lectures cover mostly pharmacy background information, such as pharmacy literature sources, pharmacy organizations, pharmacy history, etc. You'll also get an overview of hypertension, dyslipidemia and diabetes.

I don't know what sort of homework they gave out this year, my class only got reading out of the terminology book. If you're completely unfamiliar with any medical issues whatsoever it might be a good idea to thumb through it, otherwise you should be fine. They're not expecting you to know too much on the first day of class.

HI!! I have a quick question. Do we really have to get the drug information software for the PDA or is the drug information handbook enough for the 1st year.Thanks:)

You should do just fine with the print version of the book. The PDA format may come in handy later on down the road, but for P-1 year, I can't think of any situation where it would be necessary.