UB Applicants 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed at buffalo on march 4 and got accepted march 7. I did not think my interview went well and my stats were so-so. I am so excited because buffalo is one of my top choices. They don't interview many students so I am sure you have a good chance if you get the invite.

Members don't see this ad.

^ I was there on the 4th too. Congrats! =) Are you planning to attend UB then?

I like the school and yes I will accept unless I win the lottery and can spend the rest of my life sitting on some beach. I am the annoying Asian guy who sat in the front. Which one are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol the one who changed from history to pharmacy? I sat all the way at the back...right next to the table where we signed in :) guess I'll be seeing you in the fall

Oh yes, sorry if I didn't get a chance to talk to you. My interview went long and I was so hungry by the time we got pizza. I will be looking forward to seeing you and hopefully the rest of our group in the fall.

Can someone share the essay topic for the interview? Do you think the topic is more general like the one in PCAT or more specific like pharmacy issues? It would be great if you guys can share ..thanks so much

Can someone share the essay topic for the interview? Do you think the topic is more general like the one in PCAT or more specific like pharmacy issues? It would be great if you guys can share ..thanks so much

The essay question is a general question about yourself. I am sure you have thought about the question before to prepare for the interviews. Be yourself and show your experience and maturity in your answer.

I am wondering whether there will be a group activity in addition to the interview and the essay portion? Do you guys think I can get out of the interview on time at 5pm..coz I need to catch a flight at 6.55pm?

Congrats on getting the interview!

There is a group activity, but I'm sure you'll do great.They make it as non-stressful as possible. You'll work with your group to come up with a solution, and make a presentation to the other group. Remember, you've got the support of your team and the audience.

You may be able to finish around 4:30pm at the earliest, and I would recommend letting one of the administrators at UB know your situation, so they can better accommodate your time. (FYI: After 4:30pm, there's a social/refreshments and an optional tour.) UB is really friendly and understanding. I remember they asked if anyone needed to catch a flight that day, so they'll understand your situation. When is your interview?

Best of luck to you!

My interview will be on March 25th..I remembered in the email..they didn't mention anything about a group activity, but i guess I will just be prepared for it:

Your written communication skills will first be assessed from a short essay on a general topic. You will then be interviewed by two people for approximately 30-45 minutes. You will also have an opportunity to tour our facilities and mingle with SoPPS faculty, staff, alumni, other applicants, and current PharmD students during the Student Social. The program will end by 5:00 p.m.

Congrats on getting the interview!

There is a group activity, but I'm sure you'll do great.They make it as non-stressful as possible. You'll work with your group to come up with a solution, and make a presentation to the other group. Remember, you've got the support of your team and the audience.

You may be able to finish around 4:30pm at the earliest, and I would recommend letting one of the administrators at UB know your situation, so they can better accommodate your time. (FYI: After 4:30pm, there's a social/refreshments and an optional tour.) UB is really friendly and understanding. I remember they asked if anyone needed to catch a flight that day, so they'll understand your situation. When is your interview?

Best of luck to you!

i'm also interviewing march 25th! hope to see u guys there!!!

My interview will be on March 25th..I remembered in the email..they didn't mention anything about a group activity, but i guess I will just be prepared for it:

Your written communication skills will first be assessed from a short essay on a general topic. You will then be interviewed by two people for approximately 30-45 minutes. You will also have an opportunity to tour our facilities and mingle with SoPPS faculty, staff, alumni, other applicants, and current PharmD students during the Student Social. The program will end by 5:00 p.m.

They might have mentioned the group activity somewhere else, but I wasn't aware of it either until the day of the interview. Overall, I thought the whole interview process was fun. I hope you have an enjoyable experience at UB.

Have a safe trip and good luck, rochi & shimme!~

I'm interviewing March 25th as well. Hopefully they left some spots open for late applicants!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing March 25th as well. Hopefully they left some spots open for late applicants!

I hope your interview(s) went well. Now let the waiting commence. =P On the plus side, UB had the fastest response out of all the places I interviewed at.

Do you guys know how many students are placed on a wait list each year? and how many do they accept?

Do you guys know how many students are placed on a wait list each year? and how many do they accept?
I got wait-listed too and interviewed this past Friday. I'm ok with that though, since UB was my last choice of the three I saw over this extended weekend, and also the school I felt I made the least impression at. The guy who led my tour said he didn't apply anywhere else but UB, got wait-listed, then accepted two months later. There's still hope if you were banking on UB, though I don't know statistics, just the small bit of anecdotal evidence.

I got waitlisted too from friday's interview. Seems like a lot of people got waitlisted. Any acceptances?

yea..seems like a lot of us are getting waitlisted..I'm wondering did anyone of you received an acceptance/ rejected after friday's interview? I searched last year's thread..they place like 30 people on their waitlist..maybe it will be similar this year

Anyone waitlisted called UB?

i got the acceptance email around 2:30 today.
i also interviewed friday.

best of luck to you guys! :)

I interviewed this past Friday as well, got acceptance email at today at 2:30ish as well. I will be attending as I applied to no other schools.;)

anyone accepted that will most likely not be attending?

Welcome, everyone! I unfortunately won't be around next year to see all of you folks around, but I'm willing to answer any questions now that you might have.

You made the right choice...enjoy yourselves next year!

Liebensaft, you must have been in group B with me on Friday.

Welcome, everyone! I unfortunately won't be around next year to see all of you folks around, but I'm willing to answer any questions now that you might have.

You made the right choice...enjoy yourselves next year!

Hi Praziquantel86,

How has your experience at UB been so far? I do have several questions if you don't mind me asking.

As a P1, we have the option of a waiver request for Biochemistry, Human Physiology, and Microbiology. Do you know how this process works? If the waiver request is accepted, does the grade factor into GPA, would we only receive credit for it? Would you recommend that we waive out of the class if we can, or is it better to take the course to rebuild the fundamentals and whatnot for the rest of the pharmacy courses?

Are there any apartments you recommend?

Also, do you have any last words or advice for incoming P1 students before you graduate? By the way, congrats!!!

Hi everyone. I had an issue with my PCAT score (being wrong updated). After got fixed, my App resent to all my applied schools including UB late March. Until now I dont hear anything about my Appl status yet. Anyone know that when is the last interview day will be held? How many days they let you know ab interview in advance? By email or call? If they decline my appl, should they let me know? My stat is OverallGPA = 3.86, sGPA >3.90, good LORs, Pharm. experiences, volunteers, but PCAT 49% (in Jan 2011):mad:.
I have 2 interviews next week so far but UB is my #1! They said that they received my updated PCAT and will review my Apl. Should I call them to verify? Anything can help. Thank!

4Pharm;10848462]Hi everyone. I had an issue with my PCAT score (being wrong updated). After got fixed, my App resent to all my applied schools including UB late March. Until now I dont hear anything about my Appl status yet. Anyone know that when is the last interview day will be held? How many days they let you know ab interview in advance? By email or call? If they decline my appl, should they let me know? My stat is OverallGPA = 3.86, sGPA >3.90, good LORs, Pharm. experiences, volunteers, but PCAT 49% (in Jan 2011):mad:.
I have 2 interviews next week so far but UB is my #1! They said that they received my updated PCAT and will review my Apl. Should I call them to verify? Anything can help. Thank![/QUOTE]

Hi. UB won't be interviewing anymore unless the accepted students withdraw and the wait list is depleted. Those who haven't received an admissions decision yet will be contacted by email over the summer if a seat becomes available. Final decisions are made anytime now through August. Feel free to contact us to verify the status of your application: [email protected] or 716-645-2825.

Hi,
If you are granted a waiver in the course(s), the grade will not be included in your GPA. You will just be waived of the course (s). If you received a good grade and are comfortable with the material, then it is recommended to apply for a waiver.

The apartments on campus are really nice. http://www.ub-housing.buffalo.edu/

Let us know if you need any more help!
Congrats to you,
SoPPS Office of Admissions and Advisement
716-645-2825
[email protected]

Can I get an idea of how many people are placed on the wait list and whether the class has been filled ? Thanks

I applied for on-campus apartments Mar. 22 and got offered Creekside village last week. I was surprised because I was told the offers would come late April to June/July if at all. One note of caution. They emailed my UB email account and I don't check it regularly. Luckily, I was registering for class and happened to check it by chance. You have 7 days to accept with a 450 dollar deposit.

Can I get an idea of how many people are placed on the wait list and whether the class has been filled ? Thanks

.The Admissions Committee initially makes decisions to reject, hold, or accept a candidate before or after interviewing them. It is a very competitive application cycle and we have to wait list excellent candidates. The wait list status is not a reflection on your qualifications, but is due to the large numbers of highly qualified students who have applied for admission to the University at Buffalo.

.The number of wait-listed applicants we accept has varied significantly from year to year. Based on the number of candidates rejected or who decline our offer of admission, candidates on the wait list may be invited for an interview (if they have not been interviewed) and ultimately accepted. Since reasons for declining an admission offer or rescinding an offer are often related to unexpected situations, it is impossible to predict the number of alternates that will be offered admission. While we cannot provide you with information regarding your likelihood of admission, we can assure you that we will work diligently to make admission offers if space becomes available.

.We do not rank the wait list. After admitted students withdraw, the committee meets to review everyone on the wait list to determine who will fill the space(s). The wait list remains open until the end of August. Since reasons for declining an admission offer or rescinding an offer are often related to unexpected situations, it is impossible to predict the number of alternates that will be offered admission... We anticipate the earliest date that this would occur to be sometime in the middle of May. Typically, the wait list becomes more active mid-summer. .

I applied for on-campus apartments Mar. 22 and got offered Creekside village last week. I was surprised because I was told the offers would come late April to June/July if at all. One note of caution. They emailed my UB email account and I don't check it regularly. Luckily, I was registering for class and happened to check it by chance. You have 7 days to accept with a 450 dollar deposit.

Really? I applied their too! Do you know how how they process the apartment applications? I submitted mine mid-March, but I've yet to hear from them. I called them a week ago, and they said they haven't reviewed my application yet. Are you currently attending UB? Thanks for sharing your apartment application experience.

Really? I applied their too! Do you know how how they process the apartment applications? I submitted mine mid-March, but I've yet to hear from them. I called them a week ago, and they said they haven't reviewed my application yet. Are you currently attending UB? Thanks for sharing your apartment application experience.

Nope, I am an incoming student. They review the application in the order it was received and somehow my application got bumped up or something. I wasn't expecting to get an offer so soon. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

Nope, I am an incoming student. They review the application in the order it was received and somehow my application got bumped up or something. I wasn't expecting to get an offer so soon. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

Oops, I meant to say "there" instead of "their."
You lucky duck! I'm glad things worked out well for you. I guess I'll just have to wait until I hear back from them. (fingers crossed)

Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist this year?

I woke up to an email telling me I was accepted off of the waitlist this morning. Fortunately for one of you, it was not my top choice and I've already paid a deposit elsewhere. Just know that there is hope for the waitlisted folks.

I got a call from the school couple days ago, and was told that I got accepted. But I declined the offer as I got into UIC. Someone can have my spot.