UB Applicants 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoPPSAdmin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello University at Buffalo Applicants! Please use this thread to chat about UB's admissions requirements, application processes, information about Western New York, and any other related topics to help you with your applications and decisions.

Helpful links:

Members don't see this ad.

UB emailed me an invitation to interview yesterday. They also gave me the option of having the interview in person or via skype. Is the skype option new this year for Buffalo? I might consider it, since flying in from Southern California is a bit expensive.

Yes, this is new this year. You are welcome to try it out and visit us later as stated in the offer email. This option is only available for select candidates.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an invitation this morning with the option of having the interview via Skype as well. I'm from California, so that will save me a lot of money by not having to go all the way there. I think all schools should have that option. I've never had an interview through Skype before... I think it's going to be pretty interesting. I just hope my internet or computer doesn't die. :eek: That'd be all bad

I'm accepted!!!! :soexcited:
Ahhhhh I'm so excited right now. I can't believe it... especially since I thought I totally butchered my interview. I was seriously 120% sure I was going to get rejected.

Good luck to everyone else who's applying!!

Me too!!!!!
@Rosiecheeks: are you from California too? :) Maybe we could go visit UB together or something... I live in Orange County. Can't wait to see UB class of 15! The wait until August is gonna be so long, haha.

Congrats headortail! Yup, I'm from California. I live right next to San Francisco. When are you planning to go visit? Are you 100% sure you're going to go to Buffalo??

Last edited:
hi rosie cheeks, what are your stats?? if you dont mind sharing :)

My stats are
cum GPA: 3.44
science GPA: 3.27
PCAT: 93

Hey I just got an e-mail from UB offering me an interview too!
I'm also from CA so they offerred me the interview on Skype as well.
Can you share how your interview experience with Skype was?
Like Pros and Cons or if it was difficult to hear/answer questions, etc.
I've also never done an interview on Skype so I'm quite nervous...

Hey I just got an e-mail from UB offering me an interview too!
I'm also from CA so they offerred me the interview on Skype as well.
Can you share how your interview experience with Skype was?
Like Pros and Cons or if it was difficult to hear/answer questions, etc.
I've also never done an interview on Skype so I'm quite nervous...

Hi! I just PM-ed you about it :)

Congrats headortail! Yup, I'm from California. I live right next to San Francisco. When are you planning to go visit? Are you 100% sure you're going to go to Buffalo??
Yeah I'm pretty much set ;) I've always wanted to live on the east coast. How about you?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm pretty much set ;) I've always wanted to live on the east coast. How about you?!

Even though Buffalo is a good school, I heard that the weather over there is very bad, so I'm kind of hesitant. I'm waiting to hear from other schools, and then I'll decide from there. Well, congrats to you.. your application process is over! :)

I also got a Skype interview! this will be quite an experience!! Rosiecheeks, do you think you can PM me also?! Thank you so much in advance!

Wow, it seems to me that there are a lot of Skype interviews. I'll just go ahead and post my response here so other Skype interviewees can see it.

I thought my interview was pretty tough since I didn't prepare for the types of questions that they asked. They didn't ask me Why UB or Why Pharmacy or stuff like that. They asked a lot of situational questions like describe a time when you went all out to help a friend and describe a time when you had to tell someone bad news and how did you handle it. I had to think of the answers on the spot, so it was hard for me. Most of the time, I wasn't even sure what I was saying lol. So, be prepared for those types of questions. After the interview, you get around 20 minutes to send in the writing component. That part is simple so don't worry too much about it. They say they'll tell you in 3-5 days if you get accepted or not, but I received the email like 2 hours later.

Overall, my experience with the Skype interview was alright, not great. It was very weird having an interview at home. The environment made me feel like it wasn't a real interview. I also had some problems with my video in the beginning, so my interviewers had to call me 3 times to get it to work. Towards the end, the connection was real bad so I couldn't hear my interviewer very well. So, be ready for a few problems, especially since you're dealing with technology.

Well, good luck to everyone!!!

Even though Buffalo is a good school, I heard that the weather over there is very bad, so I'm kind of hesitant. I'm waiting to hear from other schools, and then I'll decide from there. Well, congrats to you.. your application process is over! :)

We understand that weather can definitely be a factor in your decision. Our climate is not very bad. Here’s some more information about our weather: The winter season usually starts at the end of November and lasts until the end of March. The cold and snow usually do not interrupt our daily lives and UB very rarely closes (I think it closed once in the last 10 years). We’re well-equipped to handle the weather. We usually do not experience many heavy snowfalls, although we’ve had a few days in the past when it accumulated several feet. Our fall, spring, and summer seasons are very beautiful. There is a lot to do in each of the four seasons.

About the Region: http://www.buffalo.edu/aboutub/region.html

Never underestimate how amazing it is to live in a place with all four seasons. I'm looking forward to interviewing Nov. 12th. I keep hearing great things, so getting to be on-site will hopefully be a positive experience.

We understand that weather can definitely be a factor in your decision. Our climate is not very bad. Here’s some more information about our weather: The winter season usually starts at the end of November and lasts until the end of March. The cold and snow usually do not interrupt our daily lives and UB very rarely closes (I think it closed once in the last 10 years). We’re well-equipped to handle the weather. We usually do not experience many heavy snowfalls, although we’ve had a few days in the past when it accumulated several feet. Our fall, spring, and summer seasons are very beautiful. There is a lot to do in each of the four seasons.

About the Region: http://www.buffalo.edu/aboutub/region.html

Thanks for the information!

Never underestimate how amazing it is to live in a place with all four seasons. I'm looking forward to interviewing Nov. 12th. I keep hearing great things, so getting to be on-site will hopefully be a positive experience.

We look forward to meeting you!

It may be cold, but snow has it's perks as well. Not to mention all of the buildings on North Campus (not including 2) are connected by tunnels, so you really only have to walk from your car or bus to one building and then you're set!

I've been accepted! :soexcited:
I had the interview via Skype and I am now looking forward to visiting the school~

Has anyone else received an interview invitation for January?

who would we contact with questions about our prereq fulfillment?
thanks!

Me too!!!!!
@Rosiecheeks: are you from California too? :) Maybe we could go visit UB together or something... I live in Orange County. Can't wait to see UB class of 15! The wait until August is gonna be so long, haha.

I was accepted and am from SoCal too! When do you think you're going to visit UB?

I was accepted and am from SoCal too! When do you think you're going to visit UB?

I just received my acceptance offer today & I am also from Orange County! I'm very very excited to visit the campus!!

mochocco and bettyb0o: I want to visit some time in January, since my winter break doesn't end 'till Jan. 30th. How about you guys? :love:

mochocco and bettyb0o: I want to visit some time in January, since my winter break doesn't end 'till Jan. 30th. How about you guys? :love:

I'm not sure yet... I have to check out the plane ticket prices and see when they're low! We should all go together!!

Hello,
I got my interview invitation email today. I noticed that there are many applicants who were offered the Skype interview option. I also live in California, but I wasn't offered the Skype interview. Why is it? Should I be worried? :scared:

Hello,
I got my interview invitation email today. I noticed that there are many applicants who were offered the Skype interview option. I also live in California, but I wasn't offered the Skype interview. Why is it? Should I be worried? :scared:

HI,
When did you submit ur pharmcas app? Im still waiting to hear from thme its been 3 weeks but pharmcas still hasnt calculated my gpa so they did not mail it to the schools. I know UB still hasnt recieved my pharmcas since they emailed. Do you know how long it took for ur pharmcas? plus what were ur stats?
thanks for ur help!!

Just found out about this thread... I'm from SoCal too. I just got in at UB about two weeks ago... I don't know when I'll be going to visit yet either.

i don't know when i can visit exactly, i guess depending on how expensive plane tickets are? lmk when you do so we can coordinate! :D

I have interview on January 18th.
can anyone give me any advise for the interview and essay part?:confused:

Hey. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted thus far. This helped me prepare for the UB interview, as well as all the other interviews I went on http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/suny-at-buffalo Just search by school. Make sure to click on "View Survey Results", then click "+ Questions" on the bottom of the page, then click on the "Show Comments" below each indicated question. There are a ton of questions that are potentially asked during the interview. I can attest this data is currrent and accurate, and was asked in my own interview. I was accepted at every school I interviewed at, so make sure to use this source, it works! Thank me later...haha. Good luck to you guys. See you soon for some Sabres hockey games and Buffalo wings.

It definitely helps to have some practiced some typical interview questions, but make sure you don't just memorize answers. You want to sound unrehearsed and sincere in your interview and in your essay. UB is looking for intelligent, passionate, ethical applicants so just make sure those qualifies come across in your answers. Definitely bring up any pharmacy-related experience you have so far. If you don't have any pharmacy experience yet, that's ok, they also value extracurricular activities, especially volunteer work.

Good luck with your interview!

-Michelle
UBSoPPs Class of 2013

I have my interview on the 28th. UB is my top choice but I'm really nervous I am not very good at interviewing. Is anyone else looking to do a joint degree? I'm really interested in the PharmD/MS or PharmD/PhD

22Rose22-- My interview is also on the 28th. I'm interested in PharmD/MPH.

I have my interview on the 28th. UB is my top choice but I'm really nervous I am not very good at interviewing. Is anyone else looking to do a joint degree? I'm really interested in the PharmD/MS or PharmD/PhD

Realize everyone at the interview is going to be nervous and that your interviewers are there not to intimidate you. Just be yourself and at the end of the program you'll see things weren't bad at all. They create a really comfortable atmosphere.

accepted and attending!!!:) So who else is definitely going to buffalo in the fall?

hey guys,
how long after submitted your supp did you get an interview invite?

I've read in previous threads that you get it the day after? :confused:

hey guys,
how long after submitted your supp did you get an interview invite?

I've read in previous threads that you get it the day after? :confused:

I received an email that they received my application on the 17 and on the 24th got an invitation. So about a week.

I am so NERVOUS, I feel so throwuppy for my interview.

@22rose22 - How did your interview go? Tips on how not to stress out over this? lol

I received an email that they received my application on the 17 and on the 24th got an invitation. So about a week.

@22rose22 - How did your interview go? Tips on how not to stress out over this? lol

I went to the interview session on 1/28... The interview and essay portion went better than I expected. Everyone was extremely nice there. Maybe read about current events relating to medicine and pharmacy? And relax. You'll be fine.

just read the interview feedback i think all of the questions i was asked were on the site...also don't stress too much about it i thought i really messed up the interview but i was still accepted. also the questions on the interview feedback help you get an idea of what the writing sample is on too. overall the day was not very stressful (except when i thought i messed up the interview!) and everyone was really nice and good about answering questions. try not to be nervous and you will do fine

hey do you guys think interviewing in march will be too late since it is rolling?
im so excited about going to see Niagara falls!!

any recs on places to stay and transportation??
im coming frm the other side of the country!!

You should stay at the Ramada in Getzville-- It's about 5 minutes away from the school and the staff was really nice.

Niagara Falls was pretty nice especially with all of the snow.

Although the hotel has shuttle service, I would suggest that rent a car. They can take you to the school and to/from the airport, but you can't really get around to other places without a car. And since you're coming from a different region you probably want to see as much of the area as you can. Good luck!

I'm going to visit next weekend for two nights... any places on and off campus I should check out? :)

I rented a car and stayed at the Marriott next to UB. I also stayed at Hyatt in downtown but that just cost me extra to park overnight as it's the state law not to park on the street in winter. Try priceline for Marriott - I bid for $69 and it went thru.

Don't forget to bring gloves and a beanie. It was very windy. I was there this past weekend and I really was freezing although I once lived in Scandinavia.

Goodluck!

hey guys hope you guys can help answer my questions!

1. is the area around UB pretty safe to walk around and stuff?
2. i hear there is a train near the hostel -- would you really need to rent a car to get around?
3. has anybody ventured to toronto while there??
4. what else should i do while im there???!!!

thankssss!!

The area is definitely safe, especially by the North Campus, which is where you'll have your interview. However, still use the same general safety guidelines you'd use anywhere-don't walk alone at night, etc. There is a subway station right by the South Campus and a bus that takes you between the two campuses. There are a couple of hotels right near the North Campus, including a Marriott, Hotel Indigo, and Candlewood Suites, which is actually pretty cheap. However, it might be easier to rent a car, especially if you feel like doing a lot of exploring. Definitely check out Duff's while you're here. It doesn't look like much from the outside but the chicken wings are amazing! I've never been to Toronto but Niagara Falls is really beautiful and its only 20 minutes away! Just bring your passport! Good luck!

-Michelle
UBSoPPS Class of 2014

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with the UB apartments or off campus apartments near North campus? Do you have any recommendations or advice on where to live or avoid?

Thanks!