*U Penn Class of 2009!*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thursday, April 28 - Day of Service

10:00 am - 4:00 pm Registration
Suite 100 Lobby - Stemmler Hall

11:00 am Introduction to Community Outreach
Clinical Research Building Auditorium
Dr. Bernett Johnson, Senior Associate Dean for Diversity and Community Outreach
Dr. Ken Ginsburg, Assistant Professor of Adolescent Medicine
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Covenant House
Dr. Steve Larson, Assistant Dean, Global Health Programs
Project Salud

11:45 am Buses depart to Project Salud and Covenant House
Biomedical Reseach Building Lobby
Lunch Served at Program Site

5:00 pm Return to Medical School

5:00 - 5:30 pm Sign up for Philly After Dark Dinners
BRB II/III Lobby

6:00 pm Philly after Dark
BRB II/III Lobby

* MD-PhD students will host a small group dinner for MD-PhD students
* Office for Diversity and Community Outreach Get Acquainted Dinner
* MD students will host numerous dinners at assorted restaurants in Philly

9:30 pm - ??? Destination Gatherings
Trago - 38 S. 19th Street

Friday, April 29 - Learning Penn's Way

8:00 - 10:00 am Registration
Biomedical Research Building Lobby

8:00 am Continental Breakfast

8:30 - 9:15 am Welcome and Meet the Deans
Biomedical Research Building Auditorium
Dr. Gail Morrison - Vice Dean for Education
Dr. Jon Morris - Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Dr. Skip Brass - Associate Dean for Combined Degree Program and Physician Scholar Programs
Dr. Stanley Goldfarb - Associate Dean for Curriculum
Dr. Paul Lanken - Associate Dean for Professionalism and Humanism
Rotations: Learning The Penn Way

9:30 - 10:00 am Professionalism and Humanism - Dr. Paul Lanken - Student Lounge
Professionalism and Humanism - Dr. Autumn Fiester - 102B Stemmler Lab

10:15 - 10:45 am OB/GYN Case Study - Dr. Deborah Driscoll - CRB Auditorium

11:00 - 11:30 am Mind and Brain - Dr. Alan Rosenquist - 106C Stemmler Lab
12:00 - 1:00 pm Global Health at Penn
Class of '62 Auditorium, John Morgan Building
Dr. Neal Nathanson - Associate Dean, Global Health Programs
Nancy Biller, MA, MPH - Administrative Director, Global Health Programs

1:00 - 2:30 pm Small Group Lunches
- and -
MD-PhD Luncheon
BRB II/III, Room 252

2:30 - 3:30 pm Elective Opportunities

1. MD-PhD Graduate Group Visitations
2. MD-MBA - 106A Stemmler Lab
MD-Epidemiology - 102B Stemmler Lab
MD-Bioethics - 102C Stemmler Lab
3. MD/MPH - 111A Stemmler Lab
4. Faculty Advisory - 106C Stemmler Lab
5. Virtual Curriculum - 106B Stemmler Lab
6. Financial Aid Appointments - Admissions Office, Suite 100

3:00 - 4:30 pm Office for Diversity and Community Outreach Open House
Student Lounge, 2nd Floor Stemmler Hall

3:30 - 4:30 pm Tours
Suite 100 Lobby

4:30 pm Housing Information and Closing
Biomedical Research Building Auditorium
Final Questions and Housing Information

6:00 pm Student Activities Fair and Lite Supper

7:00 pm Coffee House

9:00 pm Med School Party
TPDS Club (215-873-0400)
114 S. 12th Street
Center City

Saturday, April 30 - Day of Community

9:30 am Continental Breakfast
Dunlop Lobby, Ground Floor Stemmler Hal
l
9:45 - 12:00 pm Housing Tours with Students
Meet outside Stemmler Hall
See Apartments in: West Philly, Center City, and Grad Towers

12:00 pm Lunch to Go
Dunlop Lobby, Ground Floor Stemmler Hall
Pick up a Lunch and Enjoy the Rest of your Day!

7:00 - 10:00 pm Helen O. Dickens, M.D. Dinner
The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
19 S. 22nd Street, Philadelphia

Members don't see this ad.

riceman04 said:
During my sophmore year I was on the first floor facing the Allen center parking lot.
I was on the third floor facing the AC parking lot during my freshman year. that sucked thought b/c that floor is dead smack at the tree line where the trees are the thickest. So I got no sunlight. When I went home for break, my dad teased me b/c he said I was losing my skin tone (I am african american).
So yeah, I moved to Martel cuz it is the bst college!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lovett's got the college spirit -- Martel's got the nice rooms.

I'll take the rooms. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay, Penn!

See y'all soooooooonnnn...

I packed way too much.

Mateodaspy said:
Lovett's got the college spirit -- Martel's got the nice rooms.

I'll take the rooms. =)

That's what I am talkin about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MadameLULU said:
I thought I'd add a little more college spirit...

HFH!!!QUOTE]

HANSZEN SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WITH THEM OLD ROOMS. **** SUCK MOTHER **** EAT A BAG OF ****, **** HEAD, ***** BAG, **** YOUR ******** ***, WE ARE THE BEST COLLEGE, ALL THE OTHERS SUCK, EDGAR ODELL LOVETT, RA RA ****!!!!!!

Omg, that is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. But hanszen sucks that bad!!!! :D :laugh: :D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

U know I am messin with ya!
I would say something for Martel, but the cheers were never good!

ajt2003 said:
Yay, Penn!

See y'all soooooooonnnn...

I packed way too much.

Hi everyone!! I will definitely be attending Penn next year!!! Looking forward to seeing everyone, I won't be attending Penn Preview until Friday! :D

-Liz

Well, Preview came and went!

Hope everyone had a great time. I particularly enjoyed meeting bidster, rugirlie, skichic and javert in the flesh - and would have loved to have spent more time with Matt and Noah (my apologies you guys if I came off as aloof - I completely spaced on Saturday night plans and, due to travel crap, couldn't make the LGBT lunch...).

I thought the 'weekend' was a lot of fun - and really think Penn's going to be a wonderful experience...and most likely a little intense. It was really cool to hear that most people who attended are actually going to be there next year!

One question though: Did anyone feel off socially? I did. I'm not sure why, but I was definitely not my fun-loving, outgoing self. I felt really subdued. Hmmm. I think I was nervous. But why?! I guess it was like going on one massive date, and hoping that you clicked with the other prospective students, the administration, the curriculum, etc. A lot of pressure...

Just had to get that off my chest.

In other news, Center City or West Philly? I think I'm a Center City kind of guy...you?

ajt2003 said:
Well, Preview came and went!

Hope everyone had a great time. I particularly enjoyed meeting bidster, rugirlie, skichic and javert in the flesh - and would have loved to have spent more time with Matt and Noah (my apologies you guys if I came off as aloof - I completely spaced on Saturday night plans and, due to travel crap, couldn't make the LGBT lunch...).

I thought the 'weekend' was a lot of fun - and really think Penn's going to be a wonderful experience...and most likely a little intense. It was really cool to hear that most people who attended are actually going to be there next year!

One question though: Did anyone feel off socially? I did. I'm not sure why, but I was definitely not my fun-loving, outgoing self. I felt really subdued. Hmmm. I think I was nervous. But why?! I guess it was like going on one massive date, and hoping that you clicked with the other prospective students, the administration, the curriculum, etc. A lot of pressure...

Just had to get that off my chest.

In other news, Center City or West Philly? I think I'm a Center City kind of guy...you?

It's okay -- Noah and I <3'd you anyway, Tony! =)

Yeah, I totally feel you on the whole feeling off thing... but it definitely subsided as the weekend progressed... No doubt that next year's class at Penn is going to be AMAZING.

Center City all the way!

ajt2003 said:
One question though: Did anyone feel off socially? I did. I'm not sure why, but I was definitely not my fun-loving, outgoing self. I felt really subdued.

Alternate explanation: the music both nights was too flipping loud to hear anyone and engage in conversation without shouting!!! I still had fun though, just slightly hoarse and deaf when I came home :p

To answer housing.....

Im all aout Nu Sigma Nu.

Its maamzing how many parallels I drew from seeing their house and living with the rugby team the last 3 years......

Glad to meet you all at preview.

Preview was amazing! I'm so happy to have met everyone I did. Oh and the Ambassador is the place to be next year ;)

Skichic56 said:
Preview was amazing! I'm so happy to have met everyone I did. Oh and the Ambassador is the place to be next year ;)

:thumbup:

Oh and Tony, I definitely found you socially lovable, so I'm sure your off feeling was more in your head than you think. However, I did feel like I didn't use my time in the best way as to maximize meeting a lot of my future classmates. On the other hand, I feel like I made deeper connections with a few people which is nicer in some ways. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the call just now and am officially in! :D So excited and will definitely be in Philly come August....see you all then--yay 2009!!! :love:

bidster said:
I got the call just now and am officially in! :D So excited and will definitely be in Philly come August....see you all then--yay 2009!!! :love:

Congrats!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: See you again in August!

bidster said:

YAY! See you soon, my dear!

bidster said:

CONGRATS bidster!!!!! so happy for you!!! :D :D

bidster said:
I got the call just now and am officially in! So excited and will definitely be in Philly come August....see you all then--yay 2009!!!

Awesome!!

You must have been about #1 on the waitlist.... CONGRATS BIDSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bidster said:

Together with everyone else, I say congratulations! It's obvious how excited everyone is to be having you join us in Philly. ;) Such great news!

So I've finally made up my mind. I'm gonna turn down JHU and go to Penn! Booyah, so excited. I'll see you all in August!

P.S I'm not sure if met any of you at re-visit as I left on Friday afternoon but this is Gbenga aka the tall black guy who broke a Snapple in the BRB within the first 3 hours of being at Penn

ADoc said:
P.S I'm not sure if met any of you at re-visit as I left on Friday afternoon but this is Gbenga aka the tall black guy who broke a Snapple in the BRB within the first 3 hours of being at Penn

:laugh: I don't know if we formally met, but I was standing next to you when that happened and we started talking about Baltimore after that. My memory is not that great, but I think you were also in my Friday morning rotation groups...you were designated the leader of the small-group ethics discussion, no? This is Jason from U of Rochester; originally from WV.

Great to hear that you'll be going to Penn!!!

ADoc said:

Eh, you did better than me. I got trashed on thursday night - Jason may rememebr the earlier stages of this.

So where are people living? I'm thinking I want to be in center city. I'm looking at the 2400 Chestnut building and the Ambassador on 21st. Suggestions?

Not sure yet, my parents are coming up from Florida for my graduation. I plan to meet them in Philly to check out apartments in West Philly and Center City.

ADoc said:
So where are people living? I'm thinking I want to be in center city. I'm looking at the 2400 Chestnut building and the Ambassador on 21st. Suggestions?

*Warning: Blatant Advertisement Starting*

So. One of my friends who's currently at 2400 and thinking of vacating is looking to hand off her apartment (it's tres cool, beautiful view, pretty, etc., 2 bedrooms, 2 baths). Also, another current Penn MS2 who lives at 2400 is looking for a roommate (top floor; apparently the place is pretty posh). From the brief conversations I've had with her, she seems really down to Earth and sweet. PM me for more info.

*Advertisement ended*

So, me: I'd prefer to live somewhere in Center City between South and Walnut - in fact, a current MS2 (and friend) is currently seeking out apartments. Philly's so cozy! So many nooks and crannies.

Does anyone know when final transcripts are due and to whom we send them?

Skichic56 said:
Does anyone know when final transcripts are due and to whom we send them?

I don't know when they're due, but just send them to the general office (the same address to which we've sent everything else). I specifically asked about that last week and was laughed at by someone in the admissions office! She was like, "where else would you send them?" I was like, "I don't know. Sometimes you guys are sneaky." Heh.

I wanted to resurrect this thread.... none of us are representing on SDN anymore. Anyhow, for those of you who have set up your penn key, if you haven't found it yet, there is a first year survival guide which is awesome. It is written by students and it covers EVERYTHING from how to study to what cool comedy clubs to go to to grocery stores, places of worship, etc... Go to www.med.upenn.edu/student and hit the tab on the top, student to student and then you'll see it listed. You can only access it through your penn key though. Also, on there somewhere was a link to old exams. I suggest NOT looking at them because I am now officially freaking out that I'm gonna fail out of Penn Med. Lets hope I'm worrying for nothing.

P.S.- ajt, skichic- I haven't gotten any info about transcripts or even sending them. We should just do it then, I guess?

I'll be living at the Old Quaker at 3514 Lancaster Avenue. It's the University City counterpart of the Ambassador.

PostalWookie said:
I'll be living at the Old Quaker at 3514 Lancaster Avenue. It's the University City counterpart of the Ambassador.

Coolness! Skichic and I signed our lease for the Ambassador!

rugirlie said:
P.S.- ajt, skichic- I haven't gotten any info about transcripts or even sending them. We should just do it then, I guess?

Yup...they're assuming we'll go ahead and do it. Just put in the transcript request with your registrar and have them send it to the Office of Admissions/UPenn School of Medicine/Suite 100, Edward J Stemmler Hall/3450 Hamilton Walk/Philadelphia PA 19104 (yes...somewhere between fedexing my deposit and re-entering the transcript request about 3 times before the computer would take it, this address is seared into memory :p )

Thanks rugirlie for the link! And no more unhappy thoughts of failing out of med school--It's too early for that kind of nonsense!!! :eek: ;)

I have to admit, though--I got so bored the other day that in the middle of looking around Penn's website, I checked out the directory and typed in my own name just to see if we were entered into the system yet. It came up with my name, plus Med School-student. Maybe it sounds dumb, but seeing that on the screen really gave me a kick of reality!

bidster said:
Yup...they're assuming we'll go ahead and do it. Just put in the transcript request with your registrar and have them send it to the Office of Admissions/UPenn School of Medicine/Suite 100, Edward J Stemmler Hall/3450 Hamilton Walk/Philadelphia PA 19104 (yes...somewhere between fedexing my deposit and re-entering the transcript request about 3 times before the computer would take it, this address is seared into memory :p )

Thanks rugirlie for the link! And no more unhappy thoughts of failing out of med school--It's too early for that kind of nonsense!!! :eek: ;)

I have to admit, though--I got so bored the other day that in the middle of looking around Penn's website, I checked out the directory and typed in my own name just to see if we were entered into the system yet. It came up with my name, plus Med School-student. Maybe it sounds dumb, but seeing that on the screen really gave me a kick of reality!

Wow, thanks for all the helpful info bidster!!! And I'm going to look myself up right now, because I think that is the most exciting thing I've heard all week. Maybe we're just silly girls but still, how awesome is that? (It reminds me of the time I could first type my name into Pubmed and it came up since I had a publication.. of course, no one except my nerdy friends could really understand the excitement hehe) Where do you think you'll be living?

Well, I just got word that I got one of the two spots open at Nu Sigma Nu to live for the next 4 years.

Guess Ill be seeing all of you when we throw our "social events"

Hey everyone,
As I have been doing lately as these threads for the schools I interviewed at hit the first page, I wanted to wish you all good luck in Philly. Penn is an amazing place and I absolutely loved it when I was there. Nonetheless, I wished to end the application madness and accepted a sweet fin aid package elsewhere, so I withdrew from the first teir waitlist a while back. Anyway, you all seem very excited to be at Penn...rightly so and best of luck again.

Just wondering, did any of you get in off the waitlist or were all of you accepted right off the bat? Thanks :)

Nittany Lion said:
Just wondering, did any of you get in off the waitlist or were all of you accepted right off the bat? Thanks :)

I think one or two posters on this thread were accepted off the waitlist; the rest were accepted right off the bat.

In other news, I'm heading down to Philly this weekend to find apartments! FUN! Will it be high-rise? Brownstone? West Center City? East Center City? Gym? Cable? Utilities included?

Tune in to find out!

(I have to do *something* to make apartment-hunting fun, right?)

Heh.

Hey-

How many of you guys were Penn undergrads as well? Do I have a shot at making a Penn comeback, or is Penn Med as unfriendly to their alumni as legend would have me to believe?

Go Quakers. Congrats to everyone.

unfrozencaveman said:
Hey-

How many of you guys were Penn undergrads as well? Do I have a shot at making a Penn comeback, or is Penn Med as unfriendly to their alumni as legend would have me to believe?

Go Quakers. Congrats to everyone.

I honestly have no idea.... I can tell you there were def a few upenn ugrads or alum with me on interview day...

I'm going to be in the incoming class and I went to Penn as an undergrad as well. As far as I understand there are around 20 Quaker alumni in this years class of around 150 so your chances of a comeback seem to be at least decent. Good luck (cave)man.

Does anyone know if we need a certain type of computer? I'm planning to finally replace my battered mac powerbook and i just wanted to make sure i didn't need to purchase a pc (really really hope not). I called the school, but they didn't answer the phone. Thanks so much!

sockandmittens said:
Does anyone know if we need a certain type of computer? I'm planning to finally replace my battered mac powerbook and i just wanted to make sure i didn't need to purchase a pc (really really hope not). I called the school, but they didn't answer the phone. Thanks so much!

I know for certain that it doesn't matter what type of PC a student gets, because my hosts for Preview had a desktop and a laptop from different pc companies and I asked them about that...but I didn't hear them say anything specific about macs not being "allowed".

I know that UMich made a statement about online lecture videos only having full capabilities on PCs. At the *worst*, if the same applies to Penn, you could stick with mac and then just use school pc's to watch videos whenever necessary. But this might not even be an issue with Penn...

sockandmittens said:

I actually asked this exact question to the virtual curriculum gurus. They told me that there are only a few small glitches when using a mac. One of which is with the online lectures, normally one window will show the lecture and another will show the specific slides that the teacher is using for the lecture. With a mac, only the window with the lecture shows up on the screen. They did tell me however that they hope to get this glitch figured out and plan on doing so this summer. Other than that, there wasn't anything I noticed that made much of an impact on my decision. So... I went ahead and purchased my new Powerbook and I absolutely love it. I have since gone online and viewed the Virtual Curriculum and seen no real problems. So good luck with the decision process!

Thanks so much! I'm going to order a new spiffy powerbook right now!

I can't wait to get to know all of you next year!

Just wondering--has anyone gotten anything in the mail about setting up a penn email address (not just the penn key) or about the pre-orientation activities/trips that were mentioned at preview? The latter would be especially useful since i'm trying to figure out when I should move....I don't know if this is being held up because my transcripts haven't reached Penn yet for some reason (the registrar has informed me there are two "holding areas" before they actually reach the mail.... :mad: ). Thanks!! :)

Hmm, I'm actually curious about this pre-orientation stuff as well. I'm moving in around August 5th, and I'm guessing it'll take me a day or two to get settled in and everything.

bidster said:
Just wondering--has anyone gotten anything in the mail about setting up a penn email address (not just the penn key) or about the pre-orientation activities/trips that were mentioned at preview? The latter would be especially useful since i'm trying to figure out when I should move....I don't know if this is being held up because my transcripts haven't reached Penn yet for some reason (the registrar has informed me there are two "holding areas" before they actually reach the mail.... :mad: ). Thanks!! :)

Hey Bidster! You can actually set up your email by going to the med.upenn.edu/student website and clicking on the webmail link at the top of the page. From there you enter your pennkey and all that to set it up. It will ask you for a new email password which you can just use the same one as what you used for the pennkey. As far as orientation goes, I just know that it start on August 10th and goes until August 12th, with the white coat ceremony at 2:00 pm on the 12th. That is all the info I know but I hope it helps you out.

Just got a new laptop today.....a Dell, I honestly cant stand Macs.

If anyone wants a coupon from Dell for $750, yes $750 off laptops, they are all over the place. I just got the top of the line one for under $1500...cant beat that.

PS - Ill ask my new housemates at the Nu about the activities for us first years that they throw....Ill post when I get a chance.

Snowbird said:
Hey Bidster! You can actually set up your email by going to the med.upenn.edu/student website and clicking on the webmail link at the top of the page. From there you enter your pennkey and all that to set it up. It will ask you for a new email password which you can just use the same one as what you used for the pennkey. As far as orientation goes, I just know that it start on August 10th and goes until August 12th, with the white coat ceremony at 2:00 pm on the 12th. That is all the info I know but I hope it helps you out.

Okay, so this is a stupid question but here goes - I set up my email, but I don't like what my actual email address is. Does anyone know how to change/modify the actual address? currently mine is [email protected]. I'd like for it to be [email protected]k this can be done? Any techie want to PM me? :)

Has anyone received any word or decisions from the waitlist?

ajt2003 said:
Okay, so this is a stupid question but here goes - I set up my email, but I don't like what my actual email address is. Does anyone know how to change/modify the actual address? currently mine is [email protected]. I'd like for it to be [email protected]k this can be done? Any techie want to PM me? :)

Your best bet probably is just to call whatever infotech division manages email accounts for the med school, and they might be able to change it manually....I don't think we can change it on our own :(

(I'm just happy I don't have a number attached to my username like my undergrad made me have! :) )

cowabungaehh--I got in off the waitlist in early may and there has been some movement since then as well...good luck! :luck: