Types of Talipes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Invest

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there people!

I'm doing a research about the different kind of talipes and I would like to know if you guys can help me find this one out...

1. How many different types of Talipes exist?
2. How frequent is the Talipes Equinovarus? Are there any stats for its incidence?

Thanks guys!

P.D. Oh and this is my first post...I hope this would be a great place to talk with fellow students... :)

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Invest said:
Hi there people!

I'm doing a research about the different kind of talipes and I would like to know if you guys can help me find this one out...

1. How many different types of Talipes exist?
2. How frequent is the Talipes Equinovarus? Are there any stats for its incidence?

Thanks guys!

P.D. Oh and this is my first post...I hope this would be a great place to talk with fellow students... :)

Question 1
I am sure that there are many different types of congenital foot deformities seen in children (talipes). I am not sure of the exact number. Some of those include clubfoot (talipes equinovarus), calcaneovalgus, vertical talus, metatarsus adductus.

Question 2
The incidence of clubfoot (talipes equinovarus) in the United States vary slightly in literature. It ranges from 1 case per 800 live births to 1 case per 1000 live births in the United States. The incidence of clubfoot may be higher in other parts of the world. For example, it can be as high as 7 cases per 1000 live births in Polynesia. The male to female ratio is approximately 2:1. Bilateral involvement is approximately 30 - 50%.

You can read more about talipes equinovarus in the following links:
http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic598.htm
http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/talipes_equinovarus_clubfoot

You can also do a medline search for talipes equinovarus. There are quite a bit of review articles on talipes equinovarus.

I hope that this helps.

P.D. Que onda? :)