Tuition Fee ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSL108

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys this really messed up my plans. Anyone from penn state university. I have gone through their website and it has got a pretty good MD curriculum panned out. Their stipend pay averages to 63K in their first year with a whopping tuition fee of 50k average and other blah blah budget that totals to 83K for first year.

I didn’t know residency schools have such high tuition fee - despite penn state being a research and academic institute.

Can someone enlighten if this fee structure applies to pan US medical schools or does it vary based on state or type of institution ?

Aren’t teaching academic institutions should supposedly be considered free from tuition fee ?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, let's clarify.

I see from your other posts that you are studying in another country.

Have you completed medical school in your country? Are you applying for residency in the US? Or are you applying for medical school in the US?

If you are applying for residency in the US, there is no tuition fee. You earn the $63K annual stipend and do not have to pay any tuition - you are not taking classes at Penn State, you are working as a resident physician in training.

Do you have US clinical experience? Actually rotating through US teaching hospitals may give you a better idea of how the pay works.

Ok, let's clarify.

I see from your other posts that you are studying in another country.

Have you completed medical school in your country? Are you applying for residency in the US? Or are you applying for medical school in the US?

If you are applying for residency in the US, there is no tuition fee. You earn the $63K annual stipend and do not have to pay any tuition - you are not taking classes at Penn State, you are working as a resident physician in training.

Do you have US clinical experience? Actually rotating through US teaching hospitals may give you a better idea of how the pay works.
Thanks a lot, that clarifies. I completed my residency in my home country but now looking for a US residency program.