TUCOM-NY Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
at my interview, the dean was SUPER nosy. He actually had us go around the room and tell him where we have interviews or acceptances.

Members don't see this ad.

at my interview, the dean was SUPER nosy. He actually had us go around the room and tell him where we have interviews or acceptances.

He didn't ask us that but he did force us to answer silly questions like "What would you do if no medical school would ever accept you?" To which I wanted to say... "jump off a sky scraper" but I dont think that was the response he was looking for . . .

lol he asked us that too.

i read you got accepted to a couple of schools, congrats.
btw, i would pick touro over rvu, mostly cause of location, but i also feel that touro has more upside than rvu.

Members don't see this ad :)
who is toughest interviewer, and for those that interviewd what are some tough questions you were asked.

this is the best part... she then asks me: "define professionalism"

i bit my tongue... i REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to say "not picking up your cellphone in the middle of an interview"

so flash forward a day... i send my thank you notes... one of the interviewers responds- "your welcome".....that's right..."your" welcome... not "you're" welcome...i'm not much of a speller myself... but i think email programs have spell check no? talk about UNprofessional!!!:eek:

The Administration of TouroCOM are very big on throwing around the word professionalism and yet never adhering to it.

It really is a buzz word at TouroCOM. I can't count how many times I've been lectured on "professionalism" by the most unprofessional people I've ever encountered.

Does anyone think touro's acquisition of nymc will increase the clinical rotation opportunities for touro harlem?

here's the link for anyone who has no idea what i'm talking about:

http://www.cny.org/archive/ld/ld24121709.htm

Very doubtful.

The Administration at Touro has shown no interest in expanding rotation sites that are actually near school. Everything new is in NJ, upstate, or out in Long Island.

Also, there are rumors that TouroCOM is going to go independent of Touro University and sell to private investors so any connection to NYMC would be severed at that point. And the school would then be for-profit.

Also, if that rumor proves true, TouroCOM will likely get worse. For profit medical education has proven disastrous at the Colorado DO school and profit driven education certainly doesn't make the Caribbean schools wonderful.

Very doubtful.

The Administration at Touro has shown no interest in expanding rotation sites that are actually near school. Everything new is in NJ, upstate, or out in Long Island.

Also, there are rumors that TouroCOM is going to go independent of Touro University and sell to private investors so any connection to NYMC would be severed at that point. And the school would then be for-profit.

Also, if that rumor proves true, TouroCOM will likely get worse. For profit medical education has proven disastrous at the Colorado DO school and profit driven education certainly doesn't make the Caribbean schools wonderful.

where do we find out more about this?

He didn't ask us that but he did force us to answer silly questions like "What would you do if no medical school would ever accept you?" To which I wanted to say... "jump off a sky scraper" but I dont think that was the response he was looking for . . .

During my interview day, we were asked that too.

how long does it take to get reply about interview invitation or missing files after completing second application? I've been waiting for 2 weeks...

Anyone else interviewed today?

all in all , I thought it was a very good experience. Obed is a gem, I understand that for some people he might come across as patronizing when he tells you what to say and do in the interview, but I actually thought it a very well intended gesture on his part to give us that kind of insight just before the interview itself, even if it did ' change our game plan" as he said.
I really really appreciated him, think he is a well intended man that does his job extremely well.
All admin was very welcoming.
Facilities , even if just one building, were all brand new and top notch. SIM MAN is as impressive as can get the doctor in charge of him, was obviously fond, passionate and proud of having it.
Gym and library were small, I mean really ridiculously small, but you have the option to study in the lecture room after classes which is fine I guess. I know they say there are various places around the school where one can go and study , but really, I am from NY, and used to all of it, but I won't exactly feel comfortable in a coffee shop in Harlem. Also they list some study places ( e.g. Avery Fisher Hall) in their package.To people that do not know NY might seem ok, but they are actually very far ( AVERY FISHER is near 59 st Columbus Station and the school is on 125 ST, you do the math, imagine doing that in cold or hot weather) .
Sorry for the long details on the study places, but if you are not renting apts near school , then having access to good quiet study places is a very real issue for commuters.
The anatomy lab was impeccable, a splendid lab, aprox 6 students per cadaver, no smell, clean and sparkly, can listen to you ipod when dissecting if there is no instruction going on. Open for your access anytime you want , so is the school. No prosection, you will be the first one to touch it.
I though I had a tough interview, it lasted closed to 30-40 min, most other people got out in 15-20. I guess depends on your panel.
The Dean was "nosy' asking where else we applied and also if this is first interview or not , and he also wanted to know if we got any acceptances. But that didn't seem out of place for me , so I am just reporting that it indeed happens with most groups. Other than that the Dean exudes charm; the looks like a guy you can really learn a lot from, and also seems very approachable.
The only really annoying and unprofessional thing, where the people entering the conference room to get food and coffee. Admin and faculty interrupted whatever speaker was presenting by opening the door and going to get food or coffee both in the morning and at lunch time. I think they should set up the food station somewhere on the hallway so that admin and other fac can get the food they obviously must get, without interrupting the speakers. That is really not that important with regards to your medical education, but take whatever lesson you want from it.
We also got a 30 min speech from Dean of Student Affairs, which was entertaining, and he asked each one of us to answer " what will you do if your not accepted into med school" and told us abt the importance of always having a back up plan, just in case. At that time we were all too pumped up abt getting into med school and being a doc to consider this advise too palatable, but realistically his advise is correct. Prob that was not the right time for it, but oh well.
Financial aid lasted literally 10 min.
We got to talk to one student, he was ok, I was not impressed, started by saying he is not employed by TUCOM, then went to say that he can text the dean on his iphone if he wants to stop by for a chat....ehhhh....not my cup of coffee. When asked what do you hate most abt TUCOM he said physiology. That is not really an answer to the question. You can hate physio at Harvard too...we were rather interested in TUCOM here...vague to say the least. It was a Monday so unless there is an exam scheduled, and today there wasn't , there are no students in the univ.
Ah, and another thing, for people not accustomed to Jewish holidays, TUCOM observes those over the customary holidays, don't worry XMAS is covered cause coincides with a Jewish holiday. That being said, Monday is exam day, so if you have no exam you do not come to school, T,W and TR are full days, and full means full, until late. Friday is only until 12 pm, because the jewish holiday is observed from F evening into Sat.
Not a stressful unwelcoming environment at all, but my interview was tough by all means.
Conclusion:with the data i have now, I really liked the school.
I hope I managed to give you some insight.
Good luck to all of you .
:xf:

Anyone else interviewed today?

all in all , I thought it was a very good experience. Obed is a gem, I understand that for some people he might come across as patronizing when he tells you what to say and do in the interview, but I actually thought it a very well intended gesture on his part to give us that kind of insight just before the interview itself, even if it did ' change our game plan" as he said.
I really really appreciated him, think he is a well intended man that does his job extremely well.
All admin was very welcoming.
Facilities , even if just one building, were all brand new and top notch. SIM MAN is as impressive as can get the doctor in charge of him, was obviously fond, passionate and proud of having it.
Gym and library were small, I mean really ridiculously small, but you have the option to study in the lecture room after classes which is fine I guess. I know they say there are various places around the school where one can go and study , but really, I am from NY, and used to all of it, but I won't exactly feel comfortable in a coffee shop in Harlem. Also they list some study places ( e.g. Avery Fisher Hall) in their package.To people that do not know NY might seem ok, but they are actually very far ( AVERY FISHER is near 59 st Columbus Station and the school is on 125 ST, you do the math, imagine doing that in cold or hot weather) .
Sorry for the long details on the study places, but if you are not renting apts near school , then having access to good quiet study places is a very real issue for commuters.
The anatomy lab was impeccable, a splendid lab, aprox 6 students per cadaver, no smell, clean and sparkly, can listen to you ipod when dissecting if there is no instruction going on. Open for your access anytime you want , so is the school. No prosection, you will be the first one to touch it.
I though I had a tough interview, it lasted closed to 30-40 min, most other people got out in 15-20. I guess depends on your panel.
The Dean was "nosy' asking where else we applied and also if this is first interview or not , and he also wanted to know if we got any acceptances. But that didn't seem out of place for me , so I am just reporting that it indeed happens with most groups. Other than that the Dean exudes charm; the looks like a guy you can really learn a lot from, and also seems very approachable.
The only really annoying and unprofessional thing, where the people entering the conference room to get food and coffee. Admin and faculty interrupted whatever speaker was presenting by opening the door and going to get food or coffee both in the morning and at lunch time. I think they should set up the food station somewhere on the hallway so that admin and other fac can get the food they obviously must get, without interrupting the speakers. That is really not that important with regards to your medical education, but take whatever lesson you want from it.
We also got a 30 min speech from Dean of Student Affairs, which was entertaining, and he asked each one of us to answer " what will you do if your not accepted into med school" and told us abt the importance of always having a back up plan, just in case. At that time we were all too pumped up abt getting into med school and being a doc to consider this advise too palatable, but realistically his advise is correct. Prob that was not the right time for it, but oh well.
Financial aid lasted literally 10 min.
We got to talk to one student, he was ok, I was not impressed, started by saying he is not employed by TUCOM, then went to say that he can text the dean on his iphone if he wants to stop by for a chat....ehhhh....not my cup of coffee. When asked what do you hate most abt TUCOM he said physiology. That is not really an answer to the question. You can hate physio at Harvard too...we were rather interested in TUCOM here...vague to say the least. It was a Monday so unless there is an exam scheduled, and today there wasn't , there are no students in the univ.
Ah, and another thing, for people not accustomed to Jewish holidays, TUCOM observes those over the customary holidays, don't worry XMAS is covered cause coincides with a Jewish holiday. That being said, Monday is exam day, so if you have no exam you do not come to school, T,W and TR are full days, and full means full, until late. Friday is only until 12 pm, because the jewish holiday is observed from F evening into Sat.
Not a stressful unwelcoming environment at all, but my interview was tough by all means.
Conclusion:with the data i have now, I really liked the school.
I hope I managed to give you some insight.
Good luck to all of you .
:xf:
Thank you for you post. Did the school mention anything about the recent acquisition of NYMC by Touro?

No,
I asked about it and I got a very covered answer from the Dean: that he knows NYMC for a very long time, and that it is a great addition to TUCOM, and this merger will benefit the students. Not very clarifying.
Not what I was hoping for. That is an allo school, this is an osteo school, how they plan on juggling both, while maintaining their respective conceptual integrity I have no idea...IF they do...I guess we need to wait and see.

Members don't see this ad :)
No,
I asked about it and I got a very covered answer from the Dean: that he knows NYMC for a very long time, and that it is a great addition to TUCOM, and this merger will benefit the students. Not very clarifying.
Not what I was hoping for. That is an allo school, this is an osteo school, how they plan on juggling both, while maintaining their respective conceptual integrity I have no idea...IF they do...I guess we need to wait and see.

Hi

Thank you for the detailed description. I do agree that the school looks nice. The lab is amazing. Everything is in one building, which i think is a big plus for NYC. The gym and library are small but most of the stuff is digital anyway. The gym has enough space to run and lift few weights. The fact that it is even there, is a big plus.

During my interview, I thought that everyone was nice and willing to adjust with changing time. Overall, I liked it.

Good luck to us all.

Just got the acceptance call a few minutes ago... can any current students speak as to what they love / hate about this school? I liked it but I feel like I liked RVU better by a little, but I'm from NY and the lack of federal loans is extremely concerning to me since my credit isnt awesome (667 fico...) and I likely do not have access to a cosigner.... FML opinions??

how come i never got a phone call, i just got an email.

Interviewed Dec 14th, heard yesterday via both email and phone call from dean and director of admissions conference call lol.

has anyone interviewed and got an acceptance in less than 2 weeks?

Does anyone know when the fall 2010 semester starts? Thank you

Hi all

got my email. wait listed as medium. ;-(

Congratulations to all that were accepted and best of luck. :D

Hi all

got my email. wait listed as medium. ;-(

Congratulations to all that were accepted and best of luck. :D

I got wait listed last year as a "low" and I asked Obed about it and they might offer you a place in the class of 2015 even if a slot doesnt open up for this year... hope you have other prospects tho!

question - after the interview it takes approx. 2 weeks to make a decision. what do they do during those two weeks? when do they vote on who will get accepted/rejected/waitlisted? when i interviewed it was closed file, so how do they remember you after the interview? what if they forgot you and forgot what you discussed during that interview day. i dont remember them taking any notes during the interview that is why i'm asking this. do they submit their decision to the dean the same day the interview is over? I hope they dont get people mmixed up.

question - after the interview it takes approx. 2 weeks to make a decision. what do they do during those two weeks? when do they vote on who will get accepted/rejected/waitlisted? when i interviewed it was closed file, so how do they remember you after the interview? what if they forgot you and forgot what you discussed during that interview day. i dont remember them taking any notes during the interview that is why i'm asking this. do they submit their decision to the dean the same day the interview is over? I hope they dont get people mmixed up.

Hey,

The interviewers write a recommendation to the admissions committee. My interviewers wrote as the interview was going on but I'd imagine that yours did it soon after you finished the interview.

The Ad-Com at Touro meets about once every 2 weeks, so frequently it will be less than 2 weeks that you'd hear a decision. Last year I got my status 4 days after my interview. However, this year it took over 3 weeks with the holiday break. Best of luck to you!

Hey guys...I have a question regarding admissions.
I was accepted to tourocom in december and I received an email today stating that I should have all transcripts showing my pre-reqs in by feb 10, 2010. The only thing is that I am completing physics and orgo lab this upcoming semester and those grades wont be available until may 2010. I was wondering if this was just an email stating that I should have an undated transcript sent in feb and then another one in may...or is it saying I should have everything done by feb 2010?
thanks

it means you should send them an updated transcript now and another one after you complete your spring semester.

Anyone else being asked to supply an AP report from high school?

I just got a secondary (late applicant) from TUCOM-NY today. It says in the email "Once you have submitted all of the required documents you will receive an interview invitation via e-mail"

Does this mean once your complete you are guaranteed an interview? How long was the turnover from being complete to receiving an interview invite those of you who have already interviewed?

Thanks!

I just got a secondary (late applicant) from TUCOM-NY today. It says in the email "Once you have submitted all of the required documents you will receive an interview invitation via e-mail"

Does this mean once your complete you are guaranteed an interview? How long was the turnover from being complete to receiving an interview invite those of you who have already interviewed?

Thanks!

It was almost immediate for me, but you have to be totally complete, DO letter, all other letters, 2nd app and $200 fine..I mean fee...

Thanks!

Question for you: When was your primary application verified? I'm just asking because I'm still waiting to see if I get a secondary invite from TUCOM - NY. Thanks!!!

Dave

Question for you: When was your primary application verified? I'm just asking because I'm still waiting to see if I get a secondary invite from TUCOM - NY. Thanks!!!

Dave

my primary was verified 12/20

crap. mine was verified 12/09. does this mean i'm not getting a secondary? :scared: how long did it take everyone else to get their secondaries after they were verified?

crap. mine was verified 12/09. does this mean i'm not getting a secondary? :scared: how long did it take everyone else to get their secondaries after they were verified?

Call or email Obed and ask. Mind if I ask your stats?

Not at all. MCAT = 28 O. GPAs were 3.6 for both science and cumulative. Do I have a chance?

Not at all. MCAT = 28 O. GPAs were 3.6 for both science and cumulative. Do I have a chance?

I would say you have a great shot, def call Obed and see what's up. They don't have enough people in that admissions office it seems to me that a couple people do the job that should have at least four or five working on it. Good luck to you!

I would say you have a great shot, def call Obed and see what's up. They don't have enough people in that admissions office it seems to me that a couple people do the job that should have at least four or five working on it. Good luck to you!

I really appreciate the input, Bones. I'll do it first thing tomorrow! Woohoo!

Anyone else being asked to supply an AP report from high school?

LOL i had to do that, but it's actually surprisingly easy - just need your AP number and the tests that you took. if you don't have the AP number (i didn't remember it at all, thank god my mother saved one of my old AP score reports from when they mailed it to us back then) you can call the 1-800 number to ask for your AP number. there's a form you can print off the AP website and fill out to request that a score report be sent to the school. i think it costs $25? something like that. but yeah if there's an easier way to get credit for the class then you might want to do that instead, lol.

Called Obed today (finally talked to him after 20 attempts...so busy this time of year), and I got my secondary invite. Woot! Thanks again!

Hey everyone-

For the personal statement, has anyone just put their AACOMAS personal statement? It's pretty much exactly what the application says they want. It would save me a lot of stress....

Dave

Hey everyone-

For the personal statement, has anyone just put their AACOMAS personal statement? It's pretty much exactly what the application says they want. It would save me a lot of stress....

Dave

that is a bad idea...it will show that youre lazy. just rephrase your personal statement.

Does anyone know when the fall 2010 semester starts? Thank you

If I remember correctly from the interview, the person in charge of student services mentioned that the semester would start in July.

Called Obed today (finally talked to him after 20 attempts...so busy this time of year), and I got my secondary invite. Woot! Thanks again!

Awesome! I'm giving up my seat officially on Tuesday, maybe that'll help one of you all that's been stuck on the dreaded wait list.

anyone get acceptances today? not sure how often the adcom meets

Do you guys know if Obed will be in today? Are they closed for MLK?
Anyone interviewing on Jan 4th got an answer yet?
I am going crazy here .....

Do you guys know if Obed will be in today? Are they closed for MLK?
Anyone interviewing on Jan 4th got an answer yet?
I am going crazy here .....

I interviewed Jan. 4th too and I haven't heard anything yet either....I feel your pain. Good luck!:)

i interviewed the week of 12/14 and still haven't heard anything....i'm sure that means i'm rejected or waitlisted but has anyone else not heard in this long? anyone received good news after a 1month+ wait?