Transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdf95cro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy,
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of a program that might offer a "categorical radiation oncology" intern year? I know some radiology programs have a modified transitional year set up, so that your electives are actually germane to the rest of residency instead of doing 6 weeks of endocrinology or something, and wondered whether any rad onc programs had this as well. I'd appreciate any info

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCOW) offers a year you describe. Lots of oncology, ENT and other Rad Onc related stuff. However, its probably a significantly tougher year than some less time-demanding TY years. By the way, I did not match at MCOW but was very impressed with the department during my interview. I think it would be a great place to train.

I think MD Anderson or UT Houston or something has a year where you do a significant amount of in patient onc stuff. I also know Memorial Sloan-Kettering has one also. They're both separate from the rad onc programs there and require separate applications. I suspect they're not nearly as competitive as their respective rad onc programs since most, if not all their residents probably aren't doing that first year there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im doing the year at MCW that is offered to the radonc residents there even though Im going elsewhere for radonc. I do 3 mo onc wards, 3 months gen med wards, ENTonc, GYNonc, rad onc, radiology and 2 other ward months. I think that it will be a lot tougher than a TY year but hopefully worth it. (ask me in january). Maybe with the 80 hour work week there will be less of a difference. Im not sure how many other prelim medicine programs would allow you to modify the year this way. As long as they have an onc service and several electives I would think it would be doable.

Also, I think that MD Andersons year is 6 mo of medicine and then 6 mo of rotations at MD Anderson. And i know that you can only match there only if you match at MD Anderson for radonc.

Those are the only ones that I know of.

Ann

The MD Anderson transitional year involves six months of medicine at the affiliated hospitals of the University of Texas Houston and six months of rotations at MD Anderson. The year starts out with the six months of medicine at UT Houston. The breakdown is as follows: two months wards, one month unit, one month ambulatory, one month ER, and one month night float. You can replace one of the medicine ward months with a medicine subspeciality month (i.e. onc, cards, renal, etc.). The lasts six months of the year are at MD Anderson, which offers a great deal of flexibility in regards to the selection of rotations. In general, this involves one month gen surg, one month head and neck, one to two additional surgical months (chosen based on your interest, not by the program), one month path, and one month of research. Since MD Anderson is a cancer hospital, all of the surgery months are site specific surgical oncology rotations. Besides the gen surg month and head and neck month, nothing is set in stone in regards to your schedule for the last four months. This is worked out between you and the assitant program director of Radiation Oncology. Additionally, the MD Anderson months are designed to maximize your learning and understanding about oncology, which means that you are not a scut monkey during surgery months and that you spend most of your time in the OR. At most transitional programs, the interns rarely go to the OR and mainly take care of patients on the floor. This is not the type of surigical experience that is going to be beneficial for your life down the road as a radiation oncologist.

Having interviewed at several transitional programs last year, very few provide significant OR time for interns. Just something to think about when you make decisions about planning your intern year. In fact, at several transitional programs the surgery months were very cushy for the interns. This was because they did not go to the OR and only had minor responsibility for the floor patients. If you want an easy year, then that can be a big plus. If you want to learn something, then it is not so great. On the other hand at several other programs, transitional interns were just complete scut monkeys during their surgery months. Overall, I came away less than impressed about the surgery months at most transitional programs. Just speak to the transitional interns when you interview. I found them to be very upfront and honest about their experiences.