TOUROCOM-NY Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
declining my seat at tourocom as well. There's another seat for you waitlisters. good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

whoa...what's with all the attitude? all you all that feel that your advice is helpful when all you do is critize other people need to check yourselves. I personally have had some issues with riding the subway not only late at night but early in the morning. so just cause you all havent had any problems, doesn't mean that it doesnt happen. and for whoever quoted you and replied (rwlevin) i never said "scary harlem." get over yourself and your attitude. if you have something positive to say by all means interject, but remember I may be your classmate on day, so chill (all of you) and lets try to be helpful and NICE to each other...

Sorry if my post came off with a certain 'attitude'. My post was not directed at anyone here, but was simply an observation of my fellow interviewees. I was just commenting on my interview day, and what most of the other prospective students were worried about. When most of the questions/suggestions asked about the school relate to safety concerns and how they can be secluded from the Harlem environment, it raises some eyebrows. Also, I never said that I've never had an issue with riding the subway. I've actually had a few unpleasant encounters, in the streets, on the subway, as well as the Staten Island Ferry. These experiences are a part of life, whether you are in New York City, or in another large city, as I mentioned previously. Again, sorry if I sounded mean, but I am not trying to criticize others, as you accused me of. I am merely offering suggestions for people who are more concerned about the Harlem area than their medical education. Lastly, good luck to everyone. I'm about 90 percent sure that I'm headed to Touro, and can't wait to get this started :)

hiya wait listed fellas...I can't believe there r so many of us :eek:
I spoke to Obed a while ago and he said the early accept thing for 2012 only means that we won't have to come in for an interview/orientation and the committee will make a decision based on our new accomplishments for that year.
He also said that the committee will review the wait listed applicants during mid-late July and it will NOT be based on how early we interviewed.
As far as the safety of Harlem is concerned those who got accepted to other schools...Harlem is not the place for u...ull get mugged, robbed u name it at least once a month...so pick your second choice it'll be a better experience :)
and as for the ones who got accepted...don't worry as long as you're not walking alone past midnight you'll be fine :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to Obed a while ago and he said the early accept thing for 2012 only means that we won't have to come in for an interview/orientation and the committee will make a decision based on our new accomplishments for that year.
He also said that the committee will review the wait listed applicants during mid-late July and it will NOT be based on how early we interviewed.
As far as the safety of Harlem is concerned those who got accepted to other schools...Harlem is not the place for u...ull get mugged, robbed u name it at least once a month...so pick your second choice it'll be a better experience :)
and as for the ones who got accepted...don't worry as long as you're not walking alone past midnight you'll be fine :D

About how many are waitlisted so far?

Sorry if my post came off with a certain 'attitude'. My post was not directed at anyone here, but was simply an observation of my fellow interviewees. I was just commenting on my interview day, and what most of the other prospective students were worried about. When most of the questions/suggestions asked about the school relate to safety concerns and how they can be secluded from the Harlem environment, it raises some eyebrows. Also, I never said that I've never had an issue with riding the subway. I've actually had a few unpleasant encounters, in the streets, on the subway, as well as the Staten Island Ferry. These experiences are a part of life, whether you are in New York City, or in another large city, as I mentioned previously. Again, sorry if I sounded mean, but I am not trying to criticize others, as you accused me of. I am merely offering suggestions for people who are more concerned about the Harlem area than their medical education. Lastly, good luck to everyone. I'm about 90 percent sure that I'm headed to Touro, and can't wait to get this started :)

Don't be sorry highballa. Someone is talking about attitude!! The way they are writing, what about their attitude?? and.. Mars. don't threat that you can be a classmate.. Yes, you may be a classmate but so what?? Highballa is not gonna fear you...lol...

I don't think I have an attitude. I just get bothered when people make assumptions that just aren't true. It's true that once when I was on the subway, a guy decided to masturbate next to me. It's true that once getting off the subway, I saw a bunch of guys in handcuffs. These things do happen but they really are far and in between. I've been going to school in this neighborhood for nearly 8 years (4 at Columbia and 3 and a half at City College-where a shuttle is necessary 'cause the A train is half a mile away but most people walk anyway) and I have never had a problem walking to or from the subway or around campus.

And why did I put "scary Harlem" in quotation marks? Not because anybody said it but rather because that seems to be the idea that persists in everybody's minds. The place is almost completely gentrified now. It's kind of sad.

Very Funny medtechdoc:laugh: :laugh:

Congratulations to the new batch of accepted students, very pleased to welcome you to the group, be sure to check the yahoo, and facebook group.
For the people waitlisted, I also say congratulations, cause some people got rejected. if touro-ny is your first choice, make sure they know that, and find out what you can do to move up on the waiting list, casue the waiting list will move, and people will be pulled off the waiting list, so you want to make sure you are on the top of that list or close to it, so you can be offered an acceptance when it starts to move. Good luck to you guys :luck: .

Has anyone sent in the required health documents yet? I was wondering if I need to send in a copy of my "yellow card" with the form. does anyone know?

anyone from the March 20th interview date heard back yet? I remember Obed mentioned that, we would hear from them by Friday or latest Monday.

Has anyone sent in the required health documents yet? I was wondering if I need to send in a copy of my "yellow card" with the form. does anyone know?

I emailed them mine I dont know if they got it I didnt hear back from them. I just had my primary fill out the immunization sheet that they sent us and a copy of my MMR records.

How long did it take people to receive the secondary application after their primary was sent to TOURO? Just wondering because I'm a late applicant and my primary just got through processing so I want to know when I can expect a secondary.
-thanks guys

How long did it take people to receive the secondary application after their primary was sent to TOURO? Just wondering because I'm a late applicant and my primary just got through processing so I want to know when I can expect a secondary.
-thanks guys

From when AACOMAS listed my mailing status "new" to my mailbox: 10-14 days.

Members don't see this ad :)

I never even got "the form". I've only received an acceptance e-mail, and an acceptance letter that stated that I should send in $2,000 along with the attached form. I called and got through to the secretary, who told me that they made a mistake and that I will be e-mailed the form, however I still haven't gotten anything. It's been 5 days since the call. :confused: They seem so disorganized.

Thanks lateapplicant. Was the secondary the same as the one on their website?

Yes, but there is also another form/waiver in which you have to sign and return. If you are going to jump the gun and send it in ahead of receiving the form via mail make sure to write your SSN and "DO Program" or "DO Application Fee" on the check/money order.

The other form/waiver is the "Technical Agreement Form". It has similar information, though is not quite identical. to that available underneath the application link on their site. You may wish to print this, sign it, and send it in. Make sure to print your name then add your signature as that is what the mail version requires.

Best of Luck.

Yes, but there is also another form/waiver in which you have to sign and return. If you are going to jump the gun and send it in ahead of receiving the form via mail make sure to write your SSN and "DO Program" or "DO Application Fee" on the check/money order.

The other form/waiver is the "Technical Agreement Form". It has similar information, though is not quite identical. to that available underneath the application link on their site. You may wish to print this, sign it, and send it in. Make sure to print your name then add your signature as that is what the mail version requires.

Best of Luck.

Wow. Thanks for your help. Hopefully we'll be classmates in the fall.

I wouldn't suggest "jumping the gun" because Obed told me when I applied that they only send secondaries to people they would seriously consider, so that they don't let people who they wouldn't consider wast $200 for nothing, which I thought was extremely considerate on their part, I wish every school did that... I know my pockets would be more full

I wouldn't suggest "jumping the gun" because Obed told me when I applied that they only send secondaries to people they would seriously consider, so that they don't let people who they wouldn't consider wast $200 for nothing, which I thought was extremely considerate on their part, I wish every school did that... I know my pockets would be more full

Very true, I think most people who received the secondary received an interview invitatation and you may not wish to gamble $200. Whatever you choose, hope to see you in September.

Best of Luck.

Does anyone plan on commuting to the College? From where? The savings in rent and/or possibility of buying are enticing but I'm not familiar with what it's like to travel into and out of the city. I appreciate that it would probably make like more difficult, but I was wondering if anyone knew to what degree... say if you commuted over the CT state border, for example.

Does anyone plan on commuting to the College? From where? The savings in rent and/or possibility of buying are enticing but I'm not familiar with what it's like to travel into and out of the city. I appreciate that it would probably make like more difficult, but I was wondering if anyone knew to what degree... say if you commuted over the CT state border, for example.
If I go, I'll commute from Brooklyn. ;)

but I was wondering if anyone knew to what degree... say if you commuted over the CT state border, for example.

That would be some trek. You would have to pass through the Bronx to get to Harlem.

i have a friend who lives in stamford, CT and took some classes at NYU. Took her about 45mins-1 hour one way on train. By the way, if you're thinking about living in CT because its cheaper, I've heard that really isn't the case. It might be cheaper than lets say living in Manhattan, but not significantly, unless you're planning to live with your entire family or something. when you add up the fact that you might stay late at school some nights, the time spent commuting, the realization that studying and commuting (especially on early mornings) will burn you out, living at a close proximity to the school might very well be worth the money. Do you really want to add non-academic stress in possibly the most challenging academic phase of your life??

Outside of Harlem, there are a couple areas I'm looking at in Brooklyn and Bronx. Maybe one of you New Yorkers can tell me how long the commute would be from Bronx?

By the way, just heard there is officially 55 spots officially 'paid for' (ie. deposit paid) so far. That means half of the class is filled. So those waiting to get in can look at it from the "half full or half empty" point of view. Either way good luck to all.

Outside of Harlem, there are a couple areas I'm looking at in Brooklyn and Bronx. Maybe one of you New Yorkers can tell me how long the commute would be from Bronx?

Westchester is also an option. It's north of Manhattan. If you are looking for places outside of New York. I would also consider living in Hoboken which is in New Jersey. It's further south of the school, near the southern tip of Manhattan. Many commuters find it easy to travel to the city by way of the PATH train from New Jersey.

Thanks for everyone's feedback regarding commuting. It's something I've been looking at as an option for 2nd year or later, mainly because I hope to pay a mortgage rather than rent, and have someone I know I would like to live with who is attending U of Bridgeport. Definitely not considering adding the extra travelling time in my first year though, so I appreciate the extra feedback regarding places to live around the area.

Hey, If anyone who interviewed from last week gets a decision today would you mind posting? And for those who were already got decisions do you remember what time of day you recieved your decisions? THANKS

Hey, If anyone who interviewed from last week gets a decision today would you mind posting? And for those who were already got decisions do you remember what time of day you recieved your decisions? THANKS

Decision arrived on a Friday, at around 10 AM PST.

i interviewed on weds 3/21 and they told us we would be notified on friday, or monday the latest...nothing yet :(

i interviewed on weds 3/21 and they told us we would be notified on friday, or monday the latest...nothing yet :(
I also heard the same friday/monday scenario for those who interviewed on 3/21. However, it was from the financial aid guy, and when I told Obed what he had said Obed laughed a little bit and said, "Oh really?" So I'd take it with a grain of salt, unless someone else heard the friday/monday from someone more involved in the admissions process.

thanks guys...nothing yet here either...trying to stay calm haha

I also heard the same friday/monday scenario for those who interviewed on 3/21. However, it was from the financial aid guy, and when I told Obed what he had said Obed laughed a little bit and said, "Oh really?" So I'd take it with a grain of salt, unless someone else heard the friday/monday from someone more involved in the admissions process.

im pretty sure that obed himself said that...but maybe i was hearing things?..now im confused:confused:

I interviewed feb/27th and didnt get a decision letter until March 13th! So hang in there ... it will come =) Good luck folks~

Just called obed and he said hes trying for today, maybe tomorrow. Anyway, he told me mine on the phone, rejected:(. good luck to you all

Just called obed and he said hes trying for today, maybe tomorrow. Anyway, he told me mine on the phone, rejected:(. good luck to you all

aw man...group c :( sorry bout that buddy...good luck with the other schools, ill keep my fingers crossed for you...

Has anyone received an email from Obed that says "TOUROCOM wants to speak with you" as the subject? I've been trying to get in touch with Obed by phone but haven't been able to and I'm just wondering what that means.
-thanks

Has anyone received an email from Obed that says "TOUROCOM wants to speak with you" as the subject? I've been trying to get in touch with Obed by phone but haven't been able to and I'm just wondering what that means.
-thanks

What was the rest of the email? Were you waitlisted?

What was the rest of the email? Were you waitlisted?

No, actually I just sent in my primary last week and its not going in the mail to TOURO until tomorrow so i really don't know what they want to talk to me about. The body of the email just had the contact info for Obed's office.

Why am I not getting an interview invite? I have been complete for a while =/

yea i interviewed on 3/21 too...group c...anyone hear anything?

obed did mention the one week turnaround at the beginning of the interviews....sooooooooooo where is my damn letter?!!?!?1

obed did mention the one week turnaround at the beginning of the interviews....sooooooooooo where is my damn letter?!!?!?1

He told us 2 weeks was the turnaround time in February, so you still have time to kill Good Luck

Just giving a shout out to the March 27th interview group. You guys were alot of fun! Best of luck to everyone!

I was wondering how large the interview groups are? How often interviews take place? Also, if anyone has a feel for what percentage of interviewees actually get offered a spot? And if anyone wants to be more forthcoming, what seems to be the MCAT and GPA of accepted applicants?

:)

I was wondering how large the interview groups are? How often interviews take place? Also, if anyone has a feel for what percentage of interviewees actually get offered a spot? And if anyone wants to be more forthcoming, what seems to be the MCAT and GPA of accepted applicants?

:)

the interviews are between 12-15 ppl, and i have no clue about how many get teh seats...as for the mcats the range is between 22-29, and the gpas are all over the place...so yea...