Today's News: A nurse may soon be your doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
“Many patients believe they are seeing a medical doctor when they are not, and research overwhelmingly shows that they want to know if their health care provider is a physician, a nurse, a technician or another medical professional,” said Dr. Rohack. “Patients are demanding truth and transparency in the delivery of health care, and they deserve nothing less.”

But how do I keep them from calling me "Doctor", even when I insist I am the nurse?

But seriously, have any of you actually SPOKEN to an NP? I am in an NP program, and I don't think any folks in the program are these power-crazed types who want to get a DNP, be called "doctor", set up their own practices, and grind physicians into the dust. I personally will be VERY happy to have a supervising physician (or collaborative, or whatever it is).

The NPs in my hospital system tend to take care of a lot of the chronic patients the docs don't want to see, or do the "cleanup" work for the doc (scut), such as admitting and discharge orders, orders for Tylenol, home care, PT/OT, etc etc. None of them seem to want to take over their employers role.

I would suggest some of you actually speak to PAs and NPs, find out their viewpoints, and not just work yourselves up after reading some pro-NP new article somewhere.

Oldiebutgoodie

Oldie ... I'm glad to hear this, but honestly it's hard not to have our viewpoint when these individuals go on Fox News and CNN parading around in white coats saying they are just as good as DO/MDs??? Have you seen any of these videos?? They simply paint a very different picture.

Members don't see this ad.

“Many patients believe they are seeing a medical doctor when they are not, and research overwhelmingly shows that they want to know if their health care provider is a physician, a nurse, a technician or another medical professional,” said Dr. Rohack. “Patients are demanding truth and transparency in the delivery of health care, and they deserve nothing less.”

But how do I keep them from calling me "Doctor", even when I insist I am the nurse?

But seriously, have any of you actually SPOKEN to an NP? I am in an NP program, and I don't think any folks in the program are these power-crazed types who want to get a DNP, be called "doctor", set up their own practices, and grind physicians into the dust. I personally will be VERY happy to have a supervising physician (or collaborative, or whatever it is).

The NPs in my hospital system tend to take care of a lot of the chronic patients the docs don't want to see, or do the "cleanup" work for the doc (scut), such as admitting and discharge orders, orders for Tylenol, home care, PT/OT, etc etc. None of them seem to want to take over their employers role.

I would suggest some of you actually speak to PAs and NPs, find out their viewpoints, and not just work yourselves up after reading some pro-NP new article somewhere.

Oldiebutgoodie

I think the point is that those in power within your organizations are the ones pushing for these rights and powers, so as a group you should force these people out of power if they do not represent your wishes, but also be ready to answer the arguments of those that disagree with those stances. Most PA's/NP's I have interacted with also have no intention of being independent PCP's, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be vocal against it if it is only a small fraction of NP's that do want it, because under no circumstance is it right, and if you agree then you should be supporting our side.

Members don't see this ad :)
this video is priceless!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4161870/the-nurse-will-see-you-now

when the noctor is asked: "are people going to pay less to see the nurse"
answer: "NO, they are paying for a service"

and then the 5 second pause from the interviewer!! LOL

so the argument that they are in this to save money to the system is BS!!!

Hahaha. I remember literally laughing out loud the first time I saw that video:

Interviewer: ... (5 seconds of silence) ... okayyyyy

The interviewer is thinking to himself "I went to journalism school so I have to listen to this ****? Why didn't I go into the cocaine business?"

The nurse lobby spokesmouth wasn't very articulate.

The lawyers love this idea by the way. They'll have tons of willing physicians ready to testify against them anytime they get sued (that is, assuming NPs get total autonomy). The average schmuck in the jury is going to have the, "Wait... so he's the nurse and this doctor says he was wrong..." Wait till they qualify witnesses too... compare the education of the two and it'll be a very bad game for a lot of NPs. Just prognosticating... I wouldn't say it will happen, I wouldn't say it won't happen.

The nurse lobby spokesmouth wasn't very articulate.

The lawyers love this idea by the way. They'll have tons of willing physicians ready to testify against them anytime they get sued (that is, assuming NPs get total autonomy). The average schmuck in the jury is going to have the, "Wait... so he's the nurse and this doctor says he was wrong..." Wait till they qualify witnesses too... compare the education of the two and it'll be a very bad game for a lot of NPs. Just prognosticating... I wouldn't say it will happen, I wouldn't say it won't happen.

It's nearly inevitable, but the problem is the patients that are killed, hurt, misdiagnosed, etc, in the meantime/in the center of these lawsuits.

I am seriously looking forward to hooking up with lawyers and testifying against all these health professionals and their independent rights NPs, CRNAs, PTs on the way maybe, more independent PAs, all the naturopaths, and the DCs...they may not make more money on average but some are savy business people and will much more prone to mistakes...maybe this will help the lawyer slump (like I care) and take heat off docs and garner some esteem back

Well I know a couple scum of the earth bottomfeeding lawyers who pay chiropractors to testify. I was shocked to find out that chiropractors could be considered expert witnesses.

I do have a question though... Who is liable when the NP screws up? The supervising physician (I know they don't call them that... More like 'collaborating coworker' or some bs of that nature) or does the nurse assume all liability? What I mean is, say the nurse screwed up so bad she lost her license, would there ever be an instance where her so called supervising physician would be in deep **** too? In other words, what level of supervision do they have or are at least supposed to have?

I think the point is that those in power within your organizations are the ones pushing for these rights and powers, so as a group you should force these people out of power if they do not represent your wishes, but also be ready to answer the arguments of those that disagree with those stances. Most PA's/NP's I have interacted with also have no intention of being independent PCP's, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be vocal against it if it is only a small fraction of NP's that do want it, because under no circumstance is it right, and if you agree then you should be supporting our side.

Interestingly, I am currently taking a lame class called "Transition to the APN ROle" or something like that, and in our discussion group, 5 out of 6 students do not think the DNP should be required, and think that it should be more clinical. However, what is frightening is that almost everyone except me feels that the collaborative agreement should be eliminated, which I find scary. The more I learn the more I know I don't know. I sure want a collaborative agreement.

Regarding our organization, it is unfortunately the AACN (American Association of Colleges of Nursing), who sees dollar signs by pushing the DNP agenda by 2015. Perhaps a conflict of interest?

So, I basically support your side, as long as you don't expect me to bring you coffee. ;-)

Oldiebutgoodie

I agree there is value to understanding pathophysiology. I disagree that organic chemistry, electromagnetics, heat shock proteins, discharge summaries, or 25 progress notes a day have anything to do with pathophysiology or taking care of patients.

You should write a book on all aspects of science you deem irrelevant to medicine and why.

this video is priceless!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4161870/the-nurse-will-see-you-now

when the noctor is asked: "are people going to pay less to see the nurse"
answer: "NO, they are paying for a service"

and then the 5 second pause from the interviewer!! LOL

so the argument that they are in this to save money to the system is BS!!!

OMG!!!!!
wow!!!!

i talked to a dermatologist about this. some NP and PA bought out a derm practice from a retiring dermatologist. what they did was have a dermatologist fly in from vegas once a month to "review charts" to qualify keeping this business open.

he and i both disagreed with this. i dont see how thats filling a primary care void at all.

OMG!!!!!
wow!!!!

i talked to a dermatologist about this. some NP and PA bought out a derm practice from a retiring dermatologist. what they did was have a dermatologist fly in from vegas once a month to "review charts" to qualify keeping this business open.

he and i both disagreed with this. i dont see how thats filling a primary care void at all.

Ugh, such a complicated issue. On one hand, I get that the first derm is making some nice change selling his practice before retirement and the Vegas derm is probably making a nice little lump of cash doing the consulting thing, but it's also difficult not to get a little bugged at these guys for "protecting" the profession (I guess) by not selling to/working with these NPs.

hmm. I just started my third year. Was on peds ENT today and the NP was talking to the Doctor I was working with. The Doc loves this NP, but the NP said something that was really annoying. They were talking about some case of refering a patient to peds rhuematology and about some Mother being very difficult in terms of seeing certain providers. The mother did not want to see the fellow, and to see the attending, she would have to wait until September. So the NP informed the mother of this, and so she finally agreed to see the fellow.

Then the NP said a snide comment, "well she could have seen the NP there, because the NP is probably better than the fellow since she has been there for a long time, ~10 years." The doctor, didn't really react to that. I was sitting there listening and thinking to myself, "wtf."

Whatever. I love the RN's, they were awesome. But this NP just gave off this, oooh I am the awesome NP vibe. It makes me wonder what she thinks of me, if she can talk about a fellow like that. Oh, and she made that comment when the resident wasn't around too.

It did fuel me though, I want to know more, and present cases better than her!

PS. It was funny also when we were talking about the dosing of a certain antibiotic, the NP was saying that the limit was 875mg/kg per day. But the doctor was like, "nooo, it depended on the creatinine clearance, so you can give more if they Cr clearance is higher." NP was like, "Oh." I bet she doesn't evern remember what creatinine clearance is. Well, at least she is good at cleaning ear wax.

Peace.