To the OMS residents: second thoughts about doing a 6 year program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drhobie7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, here's my disclaimer: I did the search for this topic, found nothing, but if by some chance I missed a post buried in the 17 pages of threads...forgive my douchbaggery.

Do any of the OMS residents have second thoughts about doing a 6 year program? Would any of you have done a 4 year instead if you were applying right now? (I know the difference between the dual and single degree programs and what that means for practice.) I'm just wondering if your perspectives on the 4 year program have changed after being in residency for a while. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, lets see. Its 1:06am, i'm on the night delivery service, and bored as all get out. I'm 3rd yr medical school, and i just have to sit here and watch because that is what i've learned the med students do. Occasionally i start an H&P, and watch a delivery and maybe get to deliver the placenta.

It's Ok, but boy it would sound nice to have only 3 years of residncy left instead of 5. But then again, i don't think i could find a 4 year residency that teached what my program does, and i want to learn it all baby.

So, no, i guess i am glad i'm in my 6 year program.

north2southOMFS said:
But then again, i don't think i could find a 4 year residency that teached .

N2S, stop posting, your mom is crying and you're making Marquette and us look bad.

howsharpismylightsaber.jpg.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
drhobie7 said:
OK, here's my disclaimer: I did the search for this topic, found nothing, but if by some chance I missed a post buried in the 17 pages of threads...forgive my douchbaggery.

Do any of the OMS residents have second thoughts about doing a 6 year program? Would any of you have done a 4 year instead if you were applying right now? (I know the difference between the dual and single degree programs and what that means for practice.) I'm just wondering if your perspectives on the 4 year program have changed after being in residency for a while. Thanks.
No. I hate medical school but am glad for everything I've learned.

omfsres said:
N2S, stop posting, your mom is crying and you're making Marquette and us look bad.
QUOTE]

Give the man a break. He wrote that at 1am. You should see some of my charting at that hour of the morning. Case in point, this conversation:
Joyce (my boss): Steve, about *PT's name deleted to avoid HIPPAA violation* and last night.
Me: What about it? :confused:
Joyce: You really need to drink more coffee before charting.
Me: Why?
Joyce: Because at 0233 you lavaged and suctioned her with sodium chloride, not sodium Clorox. Right? :laugh:
Me: How do you know I wasn't trying to get rid of that VAP (vent associated pneumonia) that's keeping her in the CCU? :smuggrin: :smuggrin:
Joyce: Out of my office. Now.

drhobie7 said:

The longer I go through my training, the more I am glad that I chose a 6-year program. I interviewed at both, ranked one of the 4 years as 3rd on my match list.

I remember asking this question while externing of many 6 year residents. There were some that said if they were to do it over again they would have done 4. What's interesting is that when you asked those same guys the same question once they were done and in practice, the ones I've talked with since have changed their response and stated they were glad that they did 6.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have even applied to any 4 year residencies.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Here's another question: Do you sense any professional rift between single and dual degree surgeons? Or do they treat each other with collegiality and equal respect?

drhobie7 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Here's another question: Do you sense any professional rift between single and dual degree surgeons? Or do they treat each other with collegiality and equal respect?
Ruh-roh. I feel the "do a search" rant coming on.... :scared:

unlvdmd said:
Ruh-roh. I feel the "do a search" rant coming on.... :scared:

Um, I hope not. I'm invoking my previous disclaimer. And I did another search just in case, which was fruitless.

Again, I'm not asking what's the difference between single vs dual degree OMS programs. I'm just wondering if there are regular pissing contests that take place behind the scences, or are the single degree surgeons respected by the dual degree surgeons. In other words, is there an unspoken heirarchy?

There are both 4 and 6 year guys at my program and I haven't seen any bad feelings or animosity at all. In a way it's nice to have both types working together to see that there's generally not a difference in skills or patient management. All of our faculty are single-degree except one...I like this because it demonstrates the adequacy of dental school. On the other hand, I remember interviewing at a few places where they made a huge deal out of the MD and didn't consider you a "real" resident until you finished med school.

drhobie7 said:
Um, I hope not. I'm invoking my previous disclaimer. And I did another search just in case, which was fruitless.

Again, I'm not asking what's the difference between single vs dual degree OMS programs. I'm just wondering if there are regular pissing contests that take place behind the scences, or are the single degree surgeons respected by the dual degree surgeons. In other words, is there an unspoken heirarchy?
I agree with ya. My post was intended for those who jump on the "do a search" train for any comment that has ever been brought up EVER. The funny thing is, if there were no repeated questions asked then the forum would come to a stand still. There are not that many new topics to talk about. :laugh:

I agree with the "ache", in that there is really no animosity between single and dual degree guys. I think everyone knows what they were trained to do and they do it, whether there is an MD after there name or not.

....We pretty much save up all the animosity for the gum-farmers.

River13 said:
The longer I go through my training, the more I am glad that I chose a 6-year program. I interviewed at both, ranked one of the 4 years as 3rd on my match list.

I remember asking this question while externing of many 6 year residents. There were some that said if they were to do it over again they would have done 4. What's interesting is that when you asked those same guys the same question once they were done and in practice, the ones I've talked with since have changed their response and stated they were glad that they did 6.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have even applied to any 4 year residencies.
So why are those guys glad they did the 6-yr after getting into practice?

adamlc18 said:
So why are those guys glad they did the 6-yr after getting into practice?

Reasons they stated were: less political issues about scope of practice, a broad medical education to take throughout a career, and what they perceive (correct or incorrectly-I don't know) as an edge on marketability.

Which program is more competetive (4 or 6)? I know the 6 year is tough b/c of the med school requirements but the 4 year seems more appealing, at least to me, b/c you're shaving 2 years off. How old are you 6 years guys?

flat4 said:
Which program is more competetive (4 or 6)? I know the 6 year is tough b/c of the med school requirements but the 4 year seems more appealing, at least to me, b/c you're shaving 2 years off. How old are you 6 years guys?

Some say the 4 years are more competitive because more people apply. Others say the 6 years are more competitive because there are higher academic cutoffs. I think most residents doing the 6 year will finish between the ages of 30-37. Just add on 6 years to the average age of dental graduates. People do 6 year programs at all ages. There's a woman who graduated last year from UCLA doing the UCSF 7 year program and I think she was 29. So the amount of years doesn't necessarily scare off the oldies, of which I am one. :)