Applying to 4 and 6 year OMFS programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obturator33

Reaction score
I've already heard the notion from the chair of surgery at my DS that " you need to know whether you want to do a 4 or 6-year program". I am completely aware of their similarities/differences. I know that I am more interested in pursuing a 4-year program, but I also understand how they are significantly more competitive. It seems like most programs will explicitly state that you are only allowed to apply to either their 4 or 6-year program, but some programs will allow you to apply to both.

Although I definitely would prefer a 4yr, I would be willing to attend a 6yr if that's the only opportunity that presented itself. I plan to cast a wide net and hopefully, I can at least get a few interviews. Is it frowned upon to apply to both even if my reason is to become an oral surgeon by any means necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to both rank appropriately. Surprisingly the question of “did you apply to 4 and 6 year programs?” Came up in only 2 out of the 50 or so interviews I had (since each day had multiple interviews). Nobody will know and I don’t think anybody cares.

Reactions: 1 user
The idea that you need to know which you want is just his opinion. The only difference is whether or not you get the MD. The training is virtually the same. Apply to both and just have a reason why in case someone asks

I've already heard the notion from the chair of surgery at my DS that " you need to know whether you want to do a 4 or 6-year program". I am completely aware of their similarities/differences. I know that I am more interested in pursuing a 4-year program, but I also understand how they are significantly more competitive. It seems like most programs will explicitly state that you are only allowed to apply to either their 4 or 6-year program, but some programs will allow you to apply to both.

Although I definitely would prefer a 4yr, I would be willing to attend a 6yr if that's the only opportunity that presented itself. I plan to cast a wide net and hopefully, I can at least get a few interviews. Is it frowned upon to apply to both even if my reason is to become an oral surgeon by any means necessary?
It is not frowned upon to apply to both 4 and 6 year programs simultaneously. Many interviewers don’t care and are only evaluating the strength of the applicant. When I previously screened applicants and interviewed them I didn’t care where else they were applying. I only evaluated them on their strength and fit for the program.

Personally I knew what track I wanted and I applied exclusively to 4 year programs. This is by no means advice to anyone else on where they apply to. I’m merely stating I knew what I wanted and I knew what I didn’t want.

Without explicitly asking the question of whether or not you prefer single or dual degree programs, many interviewers may choose to ask the question - which programs have you interviewed at so far, and what other programs are you going to interview at along the trail? They will figure it out based on your answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user