To MD or not to MD? That is the question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, I guess I started all this debate about ND's with my post, which was about consistency of degree designations, not the legitimacy of naturopathic medicine.

For what it's worth, I disagree with the assertion that they have no place among the other professionals that I mentioned.

It seems to me that most healthcare professionals are confused regarding the naturopathic profession because there are two distinctly different factions with drastically different education. Most of you, I believe, are confusing naturopathic physicians with homeopaths. There's always talk about correspondence or online programs and no clinical training. Those are homeopaths, and most of them are quacks; they're the idiots who give naturopathic medicine a bad name. A licensed naturopathic physician (ND) must have attended one of the six naturopathic medical schools.

If you actually review the prerequisites and the program curriculum, you'll find that it's very much comparable to a traditional medical education. They learn all the basic sciences (including pharmacology) just like any physician, and clinical education is similar as well. They just learn some additional things that are specific to their purpose, in much the same manner as DO's. They are conservative providers who promote health and wellness, rather than prescribe drugs. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. As a pharmacist, I've seen plenty of patients whose drug therapy did them more harm than good. Most primary care physicians are so quick to write a prescription, whether it's the best course of action or not, because the public has come to expect it.

The primary deficiency is that they do not have to complete a residency program. And, even if they choose to, residencies are not widely available, nor as long as those in traditional medical fields. As for research, they are making some progress in that area, so give them a break. As you're all aware, research costs money. And most of that money comes from sources that have no vested interest in promoting natural therapies.

Ok. That's all. I just wanted to address some of the misinformation related by others here. It is true that this is not the forum to discuss this matter.

biocmp: What's best for the public is for uninformed pre-health students to refrain from spreading misinformation about professions they obviously have not researched. Just the advice of a practicing nuclear pharmacist (not a pharmacy student). Take it or leave it.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok. That's all. I just wanted to address some of the misinformation related by others here. It is true that this is not the forum to discuss this matter.

biocmp: What's best for the public is for uninformed pre-health students to refrain from spreading misinformation about professions they obviously have not researched. Just the advice of a practicing nuclear pharmacist (not a pharmacy student). Take it or leave it.

Oh no! You shudnt have stirred the bee hive. Now biocmp has to reply and then u will reply and again the war starts :laugh: Too bad iam gonna miss the fun as iam back to studies.

But seriously, thanks for your valuable insight. Its a blessing to have working professionals from all spheres of healthcare around to advise us and give info on real life world. God bless you.

I've researched the profession... my position stands... If you would have read everything, I'm sure you would see that I wasn't blindly bashing them... (I'm not a nuclear pharmacist, just a student who obviously has bitten off more than he can chew)

.. back to feet and ankles? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my take on this: if a pod is getting an osteopathic or allopathic medical degree with the intention of practicing allopathic or osteopathic medicine then, by all means the individual should go for it. It will be additional debt and probably would have been a wiser decision to have gone to an allopathic or an osteopathic school from the start.
I disagree however, with the notion that pods should supplement their degree with a MD degree to treat their core patients; POD PATIENTS. Podiatric medical schools are just as rigorous as any “regular” medical schools and the curriculum prepares students to adequately treat POD PATIENTS.
Btw, I would like to see interested allopathic or osteopathic medical students who are thinking of going into orthopedics to rotate through a podiatric surgery clinic (I am not sure if this is going on now as I will be starting medical school this year, )

This is my take on this: if a pod is getting an osteopathic or allopathic medical degree with the intention of practicing allopathic or osteopathic medicine then, by all means the individual should go for it. It will be additional debt and probably would have been a wiser decision to have gone to an allopathic or an osteopathic school from the start.
I disagree however, with the notion that pods should supplement their degree with a MD degree to treat their core patients; POD PATIENTS. Podiatric medical schools are just as rigorous as any “regular” medical schools and the curriculum prepares students to adequately treat POD PATIENTS.
Btw, I would like to see interested allopathic or osteopathic medical students who are thinking of going into orthopedics to rotate through a podiatric surgery clinic (I am not sure if this is going on now as I will be starting medical school this year, )

I can't even fathom returning to school after I'm done. Eleven years is long enough!!!

I'm a pharmacist, but I find podiatry interesting; thus, I read your forum from time to time.

It is true that inconsistencies in degree designations can be confusing for the public. It would be nice if a more logical, consistent system was adopted.

I propose the following:

MD - Doctor of Medicine
OMD - Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
NMD - Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine
DMD - Doctor of Dental Medicine
PMD - Doctor of Podiatric Medicine

DDS - eliminate
OD - no change
PharmD - no change

I realize, of course, that it will never happen. But I do think it's the most logical arrangement.

Hey...they already have DMD same as DDS, only I prefer Doctor of Dental Surgery over Doctor of Dental Medicine... DDS seems to be better recognized by the public. ;)

Actually there is a law i guess in some states. A couple of yrs back an Oral Surgeon (DDS) did his MD from antigua and started to print that on his visiting card and boards,etc. As far as i read abt this article he never did his residency. he practiced within his scope of dentistry but used the MD for advertising purposes. he was fined and had to pay for the consequencies. They said that since he never finished his residnecy and hence was not licensed MD. And since he was not licensed MD thn it made no sense to put on his business as it was purely meant to decieve. So yes there are cases out there where people were prosecuted for this nonsense. I remember a DPM in NY was also prosecuted for this.

In California that law applies. Whether you graduated from an accredited medical college or not, you cannot by law advertize as an MD (on business cards even) as an MD in California, unless you are licensed to practice allopathic medicine by the Medical Board of California.