It's that time of year folks. CMS released it's proposed fee schedule for 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

king22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
CMS gives us a real good one here.

Looks like we get a lovely 3.75% decrease. Do you think my malpractice carrier will decrease my premiums by 3.75%? Do you think my staff will accept a 3.75% decrease in their wages?

I'm well aware that it's not a 3.75% decrease across the board and varies from code to code (some codes actually will see an increase).

I'm also aware there is not much CMS can do- it's hands are tied by the idiotic concept of budget neutrality.

Chances are congress will stop the cuts (like they did last year and for many years before) and give everyone a little pay bump....but that brings up the question- Why don't we develop an actually sustainable way for adjusting the fee schedule instead of playing this game every year?

Members don't see this ad.

Will be disappointing if it happens, but we'll just have to wait and see. In the last 2 years we've seen every crazy thing:
-avoided - the idea of podiatry specific codes (would have destroyed us)
-avoided - all codes merged and just new and established (3.5 for all?)
-E&M values increased, but for me at least only applied to Medicare (and corresponding cuts elsewhere)
-outpatient E&M documentation somewhat simplified albeit still overly complicated.

I seem to recall this year had some sort of small increase that APMA claimed they fought for. I suppose I can expect an email by the end of the year praising their hardwork and asking for money.

Reactions: 1 users