The Ohio State CoP 2011 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmaMaya

Pre-Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd go ahead and start this thread.

Who else is applying to THE Ohio State University CoP?? :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

I am. I'm working on their supplemental and will submit it pretty soon.

I AM!!!! :thumbup:

i haven't received the supplemental yet because it took forever for one of my schools to send in my transcript (and it was only for one class). I e-submitted it on 8/1. However, i'm hoping my pharmcas will finally be sent out tomorrow but i'm still waiting on my last lor.
can anyone tell me what the supplemental essays are so i can get a head start?
Thanks guys. And hopefully we will all be able to help each other through this process.

Members don't see this ad :)
The supplemental application asks some basic, 500 character limit, questions about why Ohio State, how did you hear about Ohio State, and what contacts have you had with pharmacists that influenced your decision to pursue pharmacy. It was actually kind of tough to sum up my feelings on all of those questions in only 500 characters (counting spaces) each, especially since Ohio State is my top choice.

I'm so excited about this school, though. They have a great program, and some electives that I haven't seen at many other schools (like veterinary pharmacy). I took a tour of the facility and campus last month and it is awesome. The facility is really nice and the campus is huge and beautiful.

They're switching from the quarter system to the semester system in a few years, so if we get in this cycle our freshman year will be on the quarter system, but after that we'll be on the semester system.

Ahhh i hate the ones with word limits, because I hate not being able to say everything i feel haha.

Yea i heard that they are switching to the semester system. i'm actually excited about that. From what I know about this school, I am extremely excited. You are lucky that you were able to take a tour of the facilities. I will have to wait to do that until I hopefully get an interview there :xf:
I know I read that they have rolling admissions, but do you know when they start their interview process?
Also how long after your pharmcas app was mailed to them before they sent you the supplemental?

I am already stressed over this waiting process haha and it has barely began

Last edited:
I haven't heard of any interviews occurring before December...but I was told that with my stats I should expect an interview around January-February, maybe even March...they interview the candidates with the highest stats first. What are your stats?

I have a 3.48 cumulative and a 3.48 science gpa (its weird that they both came out exactly the same).
I have gotten a few c's in some of my prereqs though :mad:
and my pcat was a 95. so hopefully i'll get an interview.

have you taken the pcat yet? and with your stats i would assume you would get an interview at least in jan or early feb.

yay i got the supplemental app today :D

now just to figure out how to make my answers 500 characters or less :eek:
guess that will be my fun activity once i get off work tonight at 9

I took the PCAT in June without studying as a dry run and didn't do so well (composite of 65)...but I studied my butt off for the August PCAT and feel much better about how I did. Guess we'll see at the end of September...:rolleyes:

I've done some calculations and if I do well this fall (hopefully) then I can pull my cumulative GPA up to a 3.2, which is crucial according to Ohio State because their cutoff on cGPA's is usually right around 3.10-3.18ish (unofficially)....I know they look at more than that though, and I have straight A's (2 A-'s) in all their prereq's so I may get an interview regardless...but I want to increase my chances as much as possible. :D

After all that I've heard about the admission process at Ohio State I'd say you have a great shot at an interview. For some reason not too many people seem to apply to Ohio State, which I dont understand because it is an awesome school.

Here's to both of us starting school together next fall!! :xf::luck::xf:

heres to hoping you get awesome marks on the august pcat and in your classes this fall :xf:

and yea i barely see anyone talking about ohio state, especially in this forum. which i don't understand at all but hopefully that means there will be less competition :D

hey everybody, im interested in this school too. I guess im one of the few out of state ppl that know this is pretty cheap and yet highly ranked. Couple of questions:

is it more tougher for out of state students to get in?

can you apply even though I may not have my bachelor degree completed till June 2011

Do they look at the PCAT composite or do they also look at the subsections as well. I ask cuz on the august I felt i did bad on the chem and math sections but im hoping my composite is 76-80. I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

I dont believe they show preference for out of state students, so technically you should have the same chance of getting in as someone from ohio.

I think as long as you have your bachelors completed by the start of school you are okay. I know they allow you to finish up your pre-reqs the summer before, so I'm sure they would let you finish up your bachelors

I'm sorry but i really have no answer in regards to the pcat and whether they look at just the composite or at the subsections as well. heres to hoping you did better on the pcat then you thought :xf: I thought I completely bombed the math section but ended with a 92

hey everybody, im interested in this school too. I guess im one of the few out of state ppl that know this is pretty cheap and yet highly ranked. Couple of questions:

is it more tougher for out of state students to get in?

can you apply even though I may not have my bachelor degree completed till June 2011

Do they look at the PCAT composite or do they also look at the subsections as well. I ask cuz on the august I felt i did bad on the chem and math sections but im hoping my composite is 76-80. I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Did any of you guys who applied get the status of your application at Ohio State on your PharmCAS to show? The supplemental app received email says that your status should be on PharmCAS after two weeks, but I don't see it.

Hi,

I also apply to the school this year. My app was sent out yesterday, 10/4/10. How long will I have to wait for the school to send me its supplemental doc? Will the email be sent to my email address or via Pharmcas?

Thank you very much everyone.

Did any of you guys who applied get the status of your application at Ohio State on your PharmCAS to show? The supplemental app received email says that your status should be on PharmCAS after two weeks, but I don't see it.

Nothing has shown up on my pharmcas either in regards to the supplimental and i submitted mine around september 1st. So i dont know if anything is ever going to.

Hi,

I also apply to the school this year. My app was sent out yesterday, 10/4/10. How long will I have to wait for the school to send me its supplemental doc? Will the email be sent to my email address or via Pharmcas?

Thank you very much everyone.

I believe i received the invitation to do the supplemental on the same day that my pharmcas was mailed. And they send it to the email address that you registered with pharmcas.

I wonder if someone can search when they started interviewing last year. For those of you who have submitted supplementals, have you received interviews from other schools?

Hi everyone,

My pharmcas app was sent out 10/4, but I haven't heard back from Ohio state university whether the school get my app or not.

Is there anyone like me? I could not get an invite to fill out supplemental app. Does it mean the school is not interested in me?How long should I wait.....
Thanks in advance

I got the invite through email the day my PharmCAS was sent out. maybe you should email them

Hi everyone,

My pharmcas app was sent out 10/4, but I haven't heard back from Ohio state university whether the school get my app or not.

Is there anyone like me? I could not get an invite to fill out supplemental app. Does it mean the school is not interested in me?How long should I wait.....
Thanks in advance

I got the invite through email the day my PharmCAS was sent out. maybe you should email them
Hi,
Could you tell me when your Pharmcas app was sent out?
Thanks a lot

OSU P2 here. If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

A few that I saw:

I would guess that they look at all of the sections of the PCAT, not just the composite score. However, I got a 52 (I think) in one of my sections and still got in.

They say they do not show a preference for in-state students, or even OSU undergrad students for that matter. Our class seemed to be about 50% OSU undergrad people, and the other 50% mixed. There are lots of people from OOS (Cali, Iowa, Minn, Indi, Maryland, bama, Mich, etc.)

Good luck all!

OSU P2 here. If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

A few that I saw:

I would guess that they look at all of the sections of the PCAT, not just the composite score. However, I got a 52 (I think) in one of my sections and still got in.

They say they do not show a preference for in-state students, or even OSU undergrad students for that matter. Our class seemed to be about 50% OSU undergrad people, and the other 50% mixed. There are lots of people from OOS (Cali, Iowa, Minn, Indi, Maryland, bama, Mich, etc.)

Good luck all!

THANKS!!
do you know when they are starting interview this year?

THANKS!!
do you know when they are starting interview this year?

I am not sure when they will start interviewing, but you could call and ask Joe if you would really like to know.

Also, just so everyone knows, there is a good deal of construction going on right now around the medical center (especially right by Parks Hall). It would probably be good to give yourself an extra few minutes to get to the interview. I am pretty sure the construction will be going on for a little while.

I just called. The interviews will start from November.

PharmCAS mailed my application off today; hoping to get my supplemental from OSU soon.

Are you sure the interviews start in November? Wow, that's really early. Most of the people I know haven't even turned in their PharmCAS yet, and I go to OSU for prepharm undergrad...

They start inviting you for interviews starting in November. I'm sure I know some people who have submitted as early as September.

Yay, got my supplemental link today. Going to finish it tonight and get it paid and sent off ASAP.

Stopped by Joe Orozco's office today. He said that interviews would begin in December.

I'm happy because he looked at my file and said that there's no reason I shouldn't get an interview, and have a really good chance of getting on in December *happy dance*

Jeeze, this thread is DEAD! It's November now, so time to bring some life back to it; OSU should be sending out interview letters sometime this month, though when exactly is anybody's best guess.

Fingers crossed we all get interviews! 5/6 people that get interviews at OSU get accepted, so that's a really good feeling...as long as you're not 6/6 :scared:

I can't wait for this! I'd love to go to OSU. It seems like last year, they sent interview invites on Nov 8th. So, we might have to wait until next week to find out...

I can't wait for this! I'd love to go to OSU. It seems like last year, they sent interview invites on Nov 8th. So, we might have to wait until next week to find out...

Yeah, OSU is my #1 choice...I really hope that I get in, and that I get an interview sooner rather than later so I can stop stressing about it so much (I've developed TMJS as a result! owch!)

If they do send out letters ~Nov 8th, then I'll be thrilled. I was thinking that November = late November for some reason. Here's hoping you're right and it's in the next week or so!

Interview invites will start to be sent out next week! *fingers crossed*

Dazzled, Did you call to find out? Omg. I can't wait! This process of waiting is very long. When did you submit your app?

Dazzled, Did you call to find out? Omg. I can't wait! This process of waiting is very long. When did you submit your app?

Nope; one of the people in my class got accepted to NEOUCOP and asked Joe what she should do (OSU is her top choice and NEOUCOP only allows 2 weeks for a decision) and he told her that OSU would be contacting people next week.

I submitted my supplemental on Oct 26th (payment cleared on the 28th though). Pharmcas was mailed Oct 25 :)

Hey all!

Interviews are starting to be scheduled! I'm all set for December 10! So excited!

Dazzled, when did you get the interview invite? Congrats!

Dazzled, when did you get the interview invite? Congrats!

Just today via email; I got to pick between Dec 10 and 11, so naturally I picked the earlier date, hehe :) Dec 10 and 11 are the first interview dates, to my knowledge, since finals at OSU end Dec 9.

You must be excited. May I ask what your gpa is?

you must be excited. May i ask what your gpa is?

3.61 gpa, 92 pcat :)

My cGPA isn't as high as I would have liked because of some stupid stuff freshman/sophomore year, but the past year I have gotten 3.75+ GPA every quarter, so I think that reflected well on me.

Anyone else get an interview? I'm so excited and getting nervous...just over 2 weeks until the big day. I need to set up a mock interview soon with Joe.

I have just submitted my pharmcas application...do you guys know how long it takes to get to them....and i didnt find on their website how they conduct their interview, anybody knows? is it composed of essay portion, faculties interview,and student interview?

So, as many of you have probably also heard, OSU has changed their deadline from Dec. 1 to Jan. 5, 2011. Just got an email from PharmCAS.

I'm wondering if this means that they did not get nearly as many apps as they were hoping/expecting? Or as many qualified apps...who knows. Either way, it's good for people who may have missed the deadline!

If Im not mistaken they did that last year. Don't know what to make of it.

Uggh!! pharmcas still hasnt mailed my application!
I e-submitted it on 8th. How long does it usually take? Has it taken this long for any of you?
And then after it mails it out, how long would it before i hear anything from Ohio??

Uggh!! pharmcas still hasnt mailed my application!
I e-submitted it on 8th. How long does it usually take? Has it taken this long for any of you?
And then after it mails it out, how long would it before i hear anything from Ohio??

After mine got mailed out by PharmCAS, I got an email from OSU the day after with the link to the supplemental app.

Anyone know about interviews for OSU?
My app and supplemental materials are done, but I still haven't heard anything!

Anyone know about interviews for OSU?
My app and supplemental materials are done, but I still haven't heard anything!

They start interviews this Friday and Saturday (Dec 10/11). I have an interview on Friday, from 1-5 pm, optional tour at noon. They contacted me about a month ago.

Now that the deadline has been moved back to Jan 5th, I'm not sure how they are going to be handling interview invites.