THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Guys! Anyone taken UNE BIOL 1010 recently With Sharon Rapach-Henry and have any advice on completing the labs quickly? A lot of the items required in the labs are unavailable at the grocery stores due to COVID related shortages. Any suggestions/advice/kits appreciated.

Also, any advice on passing her exams?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys! Anyone taken UNE BIOL 1010 recently With Sharon Rapach-Henry and have any advice on completing the labs quickly? A lot of the items required in the labs are unavailable at the grocery stores due to COVID related shortages. Any suggestions/advice/kits appreciated.

Hey futur3md7,

I took both bios with sharon. Go through the lectures with the study guide and use the study guide to dictate your note taking.

A lot of the exam questions come from the quizzes as well.

As far as the labs go, I had no issue finding materials at the store etc, not sure what part of the country you are in. Not sure how far a long you are with the class. The labs take time for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey! I took the class last year with Sharon and thought she was amazing. She's really reasonable and responds within a timely manner, so if you're having trouble finding items for the labs you should reach out to her for replacement suggestions. I had trouble finding an item and she provided a solution, and the lab went smoothly.

I believe the labs are locked for BIOL 1010? If so, I'm not sure how much she can share, but you could ask her if there are any "student provided" items in the upcoming labs that might be hard to find, so that you can start looking for them now.

I didn't find the labs themselves to be difficult, but they did take me a while to complete.. Some felt like a lot of busy work (especially the first one, which included a lot of online research, IIRC), but mostly, I ended up spending a lot of time on the questions. Sorry I can't be more helpful on how to get through them quickly.

As far as exams go, I found using the homework tool SUPER helpful in studying the material (not sure if it's the same now, since they've restructured all the classes). Make sure to take notes during the lectures, as the lectures do differ in content from the book.

Also, a tip for anyone taking a UNE online class...if you think you've answered a quiz question correctly, but it's marked wrong, ALWAYS double check with the instructor. Most of the time these classes weren't set-up by the instructor you're dealing with, and now that they've restructured everything, things are bound to not work 100%. There's a chance the quiz is incorrect and that you actually deserve credit. So, if you are confused by an answer marked as incorrect (as in, you've researched through books/notes/lecture slides/etc) say something. Don't be afraid to be a squeaky wheel.

Hope that was helpful! Good luck with the class :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I took the class last year with Sharon and thought she was amazing. She's really reasonable and responds within a timely manner, so if you're having trouble finding items for the labs you should reach out to her for replacement suggestions. I had trouble finding an item and she provided a solution, and the lab went smoothly.

I believe the labs are locked for BIOL 1010? If so, I'm not sure how much she can share, but you could ask her if there are any "student provided" items in the upcoming labs that might be hard to find, so that you can start looking for them now.

I didn't find the labs themselves to be difficult, but they did take me a while to complete.. Some felt like a lot of busy work (especially the first one, which included a lot of online research, IIRC), but mostly, I ended up spending a lot of time on the questions. Sorry I can't be more helpful on how to get through them quickly.

As far as exams go, I found using the homework tool SUPER helpful in studying the material (not sure if it's the same now, since they've restructured all the classes). Make sure to take notes during the lectures, as the lectures do differ in content from the book.

Also, a tip for anyone taking a UNE online class...if you think you've answered a quiz question correctly, but it's marked wrong, ALWAYS double check with the instructor. Most of the time these classes weren't set-up by the instructor you're dealing with, and now that they've restructured everything, things are bound to not work 100%. There's a chance the quiz is incorrect and that you actually deserve credit. So, if you are confused by an answer marked as incorrect (as in, you've researched through books/notes/lecture slides/etc) say something. Don't be afraid to be a squeaky wheel.

Hope that was helpful! Good luck with the class :)
thank you so much for the tips i agree the labs are long and a lot of busy work. A lot of the supplies are missing at the grocery stores due to covid shortages. its very frustrating.

As for the quizzes i dont find them to be remotely similar to the material covered in the book or lectures. Are the exams open book?

thank you so much for the tips i agree the labs are long and a lot of busy work. A lot of the supplies are missing at the grocery stores due to covid shortages. its very frustrating.

As for the quizzes i dont find them to be remotely similar to the material covered in the book or lectures. Are the exams open book?

The exams are not open book and are proctored. I thought the quizzes were on par with the material in Bio I, but I took Bio II after the restructuring and did get some quiz questions for material that I hadn't come across in the book or lectures. I assumed they were old questions that hadn't been erased from the quiz bank, but that's just my theory! The quizzes aren't timed, so you are able to email Sharon with any questions during a quiz. If something strikes you as unusual, I recommend reaching out to her. I don't remember exam questions having the same issue and thought the material was very close to what was given on the study guides!

Hi
If anyone is taking UNE anatomy you can message me with questions you may have.

Hi i am looking to take human anatomy via UNE in September. Could you please let me know who the professor was and how you found them? what was the structure of the class and if the exams were proctored? Do you have any resources you can share with me or any tips to get an A in this class also what did the lab consist of?

Thanks

Meg

I took microbio. It's a pretty heavy course, workload-wise.

Hi i am looking to take microbiology with lab via UNE in September. Could you please let me know who the professor was and how you found them? what was the structure of the class and if the exams were proctored? Do you have any resources you can share with me or any tips to get an A in this class also what did the lab consist of?

Thanks

Meg

Has anyone taken CHEM 1011 (Chem II) with Bohinksy recently or is currently taking it who could help me out? I am currently a full time student taking this course and I've fallen behind a bit. Any and all resources such as midterm/final study guides or notes would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Josh
I am currently taking it with him and I am wondering if you found any resources that were helpful or how you studied for the exams?

Has anyone taken CHEM 1011 (Chem II) with Bohinksy recently or is currently taking it who could help me out? I am currently a full time student taking this course and I've fallen behind a bit. Any and all resources such as midterm/final study guides or notes would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Josh
Did find anything helpful during this course? I am taking it right now and unsure how to study for the exam.
Thanks!
Kelsey

Did find anything helpful during this course? I am taking it right now and unsure how to study for the exam.
Thanks!
Kelsey
I am currently taking this course as well. I'm struggling a little. If you found anything helpful, please let me know :)

For Medical Biochemistry Chem 1005, below I have my thoughts on the latter half of the course. See my previous post for the first half of the course which I posted on this thread:

Just finished the final for the class and got a 45/50 on the final. Took it with Dr. Morris but it doesn't matter who you take it with because the lectures are all the same by the same teacher. A buddy of mine took it a year before with another teacher and I showed him my blackboard and he said everything was the same. I took the full 16 weeks to complete the course, but not due to the difficulty but just no desire to push through quickly. You could easily get through this course in 8-10 weeks, and if you were an overachiever you could bust this out in 5-6 weeks if you have no other/minimal obligations, but it will be mentally taxing.

Overall got an A in the class and I feel it wasn't easy but it also was not extremely difficult. Compared to Ochem and Physics (I did not take these two through UNE) this class was a walk in the park. Unit 3 and 4 build off of unit 1 and 2, moreso unit 2 as it works off of the pentose phosphate pathway, gluconeogenesis, glycolysis and other connections. Just like my Unit 1 and 2, I did not thoroughly study the units 3 and 4 as I went through them. Each unit requires a Case Connection which gives you four scenarios with biochemistry related to the unit and you have to pick two to answer in depth. Each unit also requires a "pathway response" where you pose a question to the class related to the unit readings, and also answer two other classmates questions. I got A's on all my assignments because I did thorough work, my lowest score on any of these was a 90%. I find you can get through a pathway response and case connection both in about 4 hours. The end of the unit tests are not bad because you can check your answer online, but the midterm and final which are worth 40% of the grade are proctored through proctor U.

Unit 1 and 2 as you'll see in my previous post are a grind, especially unit 1 because its a new class, new information, and you have no idea what's important and the textbook sucks camel d***s. The textbook covers wayyyy more crap than you need to know and its important TO STAY FOCUSED ON THE STUDY GUIDE AND LECTURE VIDEOS! Unit 3 and 4 are much more doable because it builds off of the first 2 units and you now know what to expect.

Now before where I said "TO STAY FOCUSED ON THE STUDY GUIDE AND LECTURE VIDEOS" is so crucial and here's why. I hated the textbook so much (and I read everything for unit 1 and 2) that I did not read A SINGLE CHAPTER for Unit 3 and 4 and yet I still got a 45/50 on the final and an A in the class. After I took the midterm, I realized that the lecture video with the study guide and AK Lectures covered everything I needed to know for the exams. Studying for the final, I popped the book open once to check a question I had about gluconeogensis from Unit 2, but that was it.

If you have any other questions about the course please feel free to comment or DM

thank you so much for your input! this has literally calmed me down and gave me the spark to hit the course hard again. A lot of what you say is still applicable because i'm going through unit one currently and felt overwhelmed at first, however after reading your post I have clear guidance now on how to be successful in this course.

Hi guys! I just finished taking a class from UNE. If anyone is trying to buy the required webcam + whiteboard, I'm trying to sell mine for super cheap. If i understood it correctly, everyone is required to buy this exact brand of whiteboard and camera. I only took one class so both items have only been used for one test, about 60 minutes - basically brand new. Please message me if you're interested! Good luck to those that are currently taking any class!

I am also finishing up a UNE class and selling my webcam/whiteboard so if you sell yours and someone else wants one feel free to message me!

PHYS 1011 LAB KIT FOR SALE - Hi! I just finished Physics 1011 and I am trying to sell the lab kit (not the ioLab unit) with everything in it and in great condition and can ship it in its original box (paid $120 with shipping but would sell for much cheaper) - it's listed on Mercari right now if anyone is interested or you can message me

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I just finished taking a class from UNE. If anyone is trying to buy the required webcam + whiteboard, I'm trying to sell mine for super cheap. If i understood it correctly, everyone is required to buy this exact brand of whiteboard and camera. I only took one class so both items have only been used for one test, about 60 minutes - basically brand new. Please message me if you're interested! Good luck to those that are currently taking any class!
what class did you take?

I am also wondering about the UNE microbiology course. How did some of you prepare for the final? I take the final in less than a week and need to do okay on the final to keep my grade. Any tips or advice would help tremendously!

Selling my Gen Chem II (CHEM1011L) HOL kit for 250$ shipping included. Same day shipping. Please email me at [email protected] with subject line " UNE HOL". Thank you.

Has anyone taken the CHEM 1011 Lab Final? If so, how was it and how did you study for it?

Has anyone taken the CHEM 1011 Lab Final? If so, how was it and how did you study for it?

I took it a few months ago, so I don't remember anything about it too specifically other than it wasn't too hard! To study, I went through each lab and reviewed the introductions and Final Reports. I also looked through the procedures, and checked the Grades section for any notes from the professor. I submitted my report the day before the final, so that information was fresh in my mind. If that's long past for you, I'd reread your report. If it's already graded, check the rubric for any potential insight from the professor.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had taken Organic Chem I and II labs (Chem 1020L and Chem 1021L) and might be able to share their experience(s). Since these courses are self paced - ideally I'd like to get through them as quickly as possible since I also need to take the Bio II course and still have an MCAT to take before next May. Unfortunately they do not separate the Bio II lab which is a bummer since I've already taken physiology (3 hours). Any help would be appreciated, thanks all!

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had taken Organic Chem I and II labs (Chem 1020L and Chem 1021L) and might be able to share their experience(s). Since these courses are self paced - ideally I'd like to get through them as quickly as possible since I also need to take the Bio II course and still have an MCAT to take before next May. Unfortunately they do not separate the Bio II lab which is a bummer since I've already taken physiology (3 hours). Any help would be appreciated, thanks all!
I'm currently enrolled in Orgo II lab and honestly it doesn't seem that hard at all... I think there are like 10 labs and a majority of them are a "dry lab" meaning that there is no experimenting it is more like a worksheet that you fill out and submit. If you are only doing the labs and not the lecture, I am sure that it shouldn't take you more than a month to complete them. Hope that helps

Has anyone taken Microbiology (with lab)? I'd love some information, especially regarding the quality of lecture videos and instructor responsiveness.
Currently in both lecture and lab. Lab is pretty straightforward. Really not difficult at all, and the professor I have doesn't even care what my answers are as long as I write something. I had some type of cross-contamination and my experiment was completely messed up and I somehow ended up with a 100. As for the lecture, if you really grind and are not working full time, you can easily bang it out in 6-8 weeks. Every chapter (30 total) has a 20 question test and 19 of the questions are usually on quizlet. It is completely possible to go into the final with a 100. As for the quality of the videos... they're subpar at best. I feel like the person lecturing them didn't actually make them because some things she says will contradict the powerpoint. It seems like all of the quiz questions are from the textbook, which I didn't buy, but they're not awful. I take the final in a few weeks, but when I'm done I'll post a more in depth post about the course and the other courses I've taken at UNE. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone has any questions about how to do well in Physics 2 and Microbio (w/o lab), feel free to PM me!
Navigating online classes was a little tough for me, so I would love to help anyone having trouble :)

I took it a few months ago, so I don't remember anything about it too specifically other than it wasn't too hard! To study, I went through each lab and reviewed the introductions and Final Reports. I also looked through the procedures, and checked the Grades section for any notes from the professor. I submitted my report the day before the final, so that information was fresh in my mind. If that's long past for you, I'd reread your report. If it's already graded, check the rubric for any potential insight from the professor.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Yes, that helps! Thank you so much!!

I have taken the following courses via UNE (Online):

-Nutrition
-Chem 1010 with lab
-Anatomy with lab
-Physiology with lab

Let me know if you have any specific questions on these. In general, I would recommend taking chemistry and anatomy elsewhere (as others note, you are essentially teaching yourself from the textbook as anatomy did not include any lecture component and chem is just too difficult to grasp without more guidance from instructor) but would recommend Nutrition. I learned a lot in physiology as well, but it was really difficult (as can be expected).

Now deciding whether to take Microbiology via UNE or via MGH (Mass General).
How was your experience taking chemistry and anatomy with Une? How did you study for tests?

Could someone let me know how the microbiology, anatomy and chemistry courses are? How did you study and what were the tests like? I’m deciding between Une or asu online. ASU is more expensive though

Hey does anyone know where I can take an accelerated biochem or organic chem class (fundementals, principles of or survey O-chem) Also, taking UNE classes (which suck in my opinion) I need to prep for general chem mid-term and I am not a chemistry person. Can anyone tell me what to focus on or where to look for study material?

Thanks All

If anyone has recently completed Organic Chemistry 2 Lab only through UNE please come into contact with me as soon as possible. I would like more information on the structure of the course. I also finished Microbiology I through UNE and scored an A- so if anyone would like advice on that course I can offer that as well!

Hi world,

Did anyone take the genetics course? I am trying hard to study for the final, but need some direction. I have completed all the other assignments and have an A, but the amount of reading in the class compared to the actual tests were bizarre. I have info on pathophysiology if any one need it.

Hi!
I was wondering for those that took physics 1 at UNE and could offer any tips on the midterm? I am pretty nervous and having a rough time with the COVID online classes.
Thanks in advance!
Jennie

If anyone has recently completed Organic Chemistry 2 Lab only through UNE please come into contact with me as soon as possible. I would like more information on the structure of the course. I also finished Microbiology I through UNE and scored an A- so if anyone would like advice on that course I can offer that as well!
Hello, I'm about to start the course on 09/16, any general advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dustin

BEST Online DIY postbacc?

Lots to choose from

Hi!

Thanks for all your replies regarding Micro. I've decided to take this course at a different online institute. Back to UNE science prerequisites topic:

(and sorry if this has been answered before): but has anyone taken PATHOPHYSIOLOGY or MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY?

Any advice on these courses appreciated!

Hello, I'm about to start the course on 09/16, any general advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dustin

I am looking to get some recent info on the ochem II lab as well. Has anyone taken it recently? It’s been a while since I’ve taken the lecture and I’m wondering if this might be a problem.

Has anyone taken Klinkerch for Organic 2? I'm ready for the midterm but would like to know what to expect before taking it and the final...
Thank you!

Hey guys,

Does anyone have a PDF copy of the Microbiology textbook?
Thanks in advance!

Is anyone starting medical biochemistry on 10/21/2020? I am planning on starting the class then if anyone wants to go through it together and compare notes! Feel free to message me!

Hi! I'm currently taking Anatomy through UNE online and my midterm is coming up. Does anyone who has previously taken anatomy through here have any advice? Thanks!

Anyone recently took Physics II at UNE online? Can you share your experience of how the course was, home work/assigments, exams and any advise you can offer in preparation in taking quizes/ exam. Thank you

I actually just finished the course this past Friday! I finished it in roughly 2 months. Labs are somewhat annoying because they require so much equipment, but the tests were actually quite easy. If you're interested (or if anyone's interested lmao), I'm selling the UNE-required webcam + whiteboard as well as all the Physics II lab equipment.

Anyone recently took Physics II at UNE online? Can you share your experience of how the course was, home work/assigments, exams and any advise you can offer in preparation in taking quizes/ exam. Thank you

If anyone is registering for a class, I have all Physics II lab equipment as well as the required webcam/whiteboard that I can sell for a lower price!

Hi everyone , I have an unused lab kit for gen chem 2. I’m willing to sell it for less. DM me if you’re interested!

did you end up taking genetics with the lab? How was it?

I just finished the course - tbh it was tough! A lot of discussion and research articles that didn't at all pertain to the quiz or exam questions. You couldn't see the quiz or exam questions after completing them, so it was hard to learn from mistakes. I ended up with an A but phew just made it through. My advice is to spend as little time as possible on all the assignments and just spend a LOT of time studying for the midterm and final

Has anyone taken Microbiology (with lab)? I'd love some information, especially regarding the quality of lecture videos and instructor responsiveness.

I'm starting Microbiology with UNE on 11/18, any advice? Also if anyone in interested in a selling their textbook lmk =)
I'm also going to be taking Gen Chem 1 if anyone has any info about that class!

And also, if anyone is starting Genetics and wants the textbook, I just finished with it and would rather sell it here vs amazon

Is it manageable for physics 1, gen chem 1, and medical biology 1 to be taken at the same time? I have no other obligations and I am wondering if this is even manageable?

How many hours can I expect to put in a week for this course load?