*~*~Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2023-2024~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, I'm currently filling out the AACOMAS experience section and have a couple questions about the hours section. For experiences that are currently ongoing and I will continue until matriculation, should I be adding these projected hours to the hours per week/number of weeks section? Or should this strictly be what is already completed? I've looked through the AACOMAS guide and there isn't specific info about this like the AAMC guide.
In the past, some users reported that they had called AACOMAS and were instructed to not include projected/future hours. You can still click the box that mentions that you are going to continue the activity though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How bad does it look to have no primary care exposure on my application? All my clinical is in the ED and some in specialties but no internal/family med.

I do have a ton of long term community service for the underserved.

How bad does it look to have no primary care exposure on my application? All my clinical is in the ED and some in specialties but no internal/family med.

I do have a ton of long term community service for the underserved.
Many DO schools do like to promote primary care. If you saw some out-patient specialities (such as some applicable IM subspecialities), then you at least got to see how a physician works in a more typical setting.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I used to get OMT done on me pretty regularly and want to mention it in some secondaries as part of "why DO". Should I just focus on what I liked about it/this approach or say more detail about the therapies? Is this a valid reason to say why I am applying to DO? I have struggled to shadow any DOs except some "virtual shadowing" ones.

I used to get OMT done on me pretty regularly and want to mention it in some secondaries as part of "why DO". Should I just focus on what I liked about it/this approach or say more detail about the therapies? Is this a valid reason to say why I am applying to DO? I have struggled to shadow any DOs except some "virtual shadowing" ones.
If your physician was a DO and used OMT on you, I think that is worth bringing up. You can keep it concise about your experience with it and how/why you hope to learn to utilize it.

I just got my MCAT score back.. My first attempt was 503, second attempt was 504, and my most recent was 499...
I am in shock.. I don't know what to do, do I still apply DO?
Do they look at my most recent score?
Do they look at my most high score?
Is it an average?

I just got my MCAT score back.. My first attempt was 503, second attempt was 504, and my most recent was 499...
I am in shock.. I don't know what to do, do I still apply DO?
Do they look at my most recent score?
Do they look at my most high score?
Is it an average?
They will see all the scores. Still apply DO but don't take the MCAT any more :(

Okay, will my most recent score be the one they look at?
They will look at them all and just conclude that you have "plateaued" on your MCAT efforts.
Applicants with any of your scores have matriculated to DO schools:
AACOM GPA vs MCAT Acceptance Percentage 2018-2021.jpg

They will see all the scores. Still apply DO but don't take the MCAT any more :(
They will look at them all and just conclude that you have "plateaued" on your MCAT efforts.
I see... I feel really discouraged @wysdoc. I know some DO schools require an MCAT with 500+, so would I technically still be a 500+ scorer because of my recent MCAT?

Does anyone know where the main aacomas thread is that chilly_md is referring to? If anyone could send a link, I would really appreciate it. I do not seem to find it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is 505, 3.6 competitive enough for DO?
And if so, does anyone have a comprehensive stats list for all the schools?
So much depends on all aspects of your application. How do you represent yourself, your purpose, your character, your compassion, your leadership, your growth? Use the personal statement as an opportunity to narrate experiences that shed light on some of these qualities.

Does anyone know where the main aacomas thread is that chilly_md is referring to? If anyone could send a link, I would really appreciate it. I do not seem to find it.
You are posting in the thread I am referring to.

The title is Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2023-2024.

I forgot to fill out the COVID questionnaire section for AACOMAS and I submitted my application. Is there any way to update schools about this part, and is it a big deal?

I forgot to fill out the COVID questionnaire section for AACOMAS and I submitted my application. Is there any way to update schools about this part, and is it a big deal?
It is possible it comes up on individual secondaries. No, it likely doesn't matter if you end up not getting a chance to put it down.

Screen Shot 2023-06-17 at 5.47.19 PM.png

so this is a screenshot of my official transcript and as you can see, there is no credit awarded for AP courses. I ended up taking calculus and psych at the undergrad again, so I didn't really care about them.
Since there was no credit for AP courses, I didn't put them in the transcript section because I got nothing to put in credit hours.
Would this be okay? Was I supposed to put 0.00 for credit, and CR for grade??

so this is a screenshot of my official transcript and as you can see, there is no credit awarded for AP courses. I ended up taking calculus and psych at the undergrad again, so I didn't really care about them.
Since there was no credit for AP courses, I didn't put them in the transcript section because I got nothing to put in credit hours.
Would this be okay? Was I supposed to put 0.00 for credit, and CR for grade??
Since this is an AACOMAS question, I have moved it to our main thread for all questions related to it.

If you school did not award credit and was just noting that you took the AP test, you can leave them off. The system may not allow you to enter 0 for the number of credits.

How should I answer the why DO secondaries?
I was wondering if I needs to be alot different from my original personal statement of Why Medicine?
Do I need to focus on the holistic aspect of things, or do I need to mention OMM?

i just submitted my aacomas app this afternoon at 12:30p - how long did it take yall to be verified and start getting secondaries? just want to know how long i have to get my LORs in order haha thanks loves! <3

i just submitted my aacomas app this afternoon at 12:30p - how long did it take yall to be verified and start getting secondaries? just want to know how long i have to get my LORs in order haha thanks loves! <3
AACOMAS is super fast!
get going on your letters :)

For AMCAS, I know there are options for assigning and labeling which letters are science, non-science, or physician LOR, but for AACOMAS I can't seem to find that option. I don't know if AACOMAS just sends all the LORs that I have in my profile, but how would they know which is my science or non-science? My non-science LOR is from my meat science professor, but I hope they don't think I consider that a science letter.

For AMCAS, I know there are options for assigning and labeling which letters are science, non-science, or physician LOR, but for AACOMAS I can't seem to find that option. I don't know if AACOMAS just sends all the LORs that I have in my profile, but how would they know which is my science or non-science? My non-science LOR is from my meat science professor, but I hope they don't think I consider that a science letter.
AMCAS has not allowed people to categorize letters like this either. It is up to the discretion of admissions what each letter is. In obvious cases, there shouldn’t be any confusion. If you have a LOR from a biology or chemistry faculty member, that will be what looks like a science letter to them.

All AACOMAS schools will receive all letters uploaded. They can’t be assigned in different combinations like on AMCAS.

For the "influences" section of AACOMAS, I'm a little unsure of who I should or shouldn't include as a "relative in medicine". I have an aunt and uncle who are MDs but not in the US so have met a limited number of times, but I feel like it would make some sense to include them. I have a not-blood-related aunt who I have barely ever met in my life who is an MD practicing in the US. I have a late uncle who I never met who was an MD. Should I include just the aunt and uncle who I have met more often? Should I include all the living people regardless of contact? Or does it not matter very much?

For the "influences" section of AACOMAS, I'm a little unsure of who I should or shouldn't include as a "relative in medicine". I have an aunt and uncle who are MDs but not in the US so have met a limited number of times, but I feel like it would make some sense to include them. I have a not-blood-related aunt who I have barely ever met in my life who is an MD practicing in the US. I have a late uncle who I never met who was an MD. Should I include just the aunt and uncle who I have met more often? Should I include all the living people regardless of contact? Or does it not matter very much?
Many people do not answer this question. I think it is more intended to hear about someone who might have played a big part in your life, like if you shared a household with your grandparents and they did a lot of raising or teaching you, or if you had a strong mentor to follow into medicine, a relative or not. If you have hardly met some of the relatives you mentioned, it's not that influential on you in my opinion.

Many people do not answer this question. I think it is more intended to hear about someone who might have played a big part in your life, like if you shared a household with your grandparents and they did a lot of raising or teaching you, or if you had a strong mentor to follow into medicine, a relative or not. If you have hardly met some of the relatives you mentioned, it's not that influential on you in my opinion.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

What happens if you submit a LOR through AACOMAS after your application has been verified? Do they still send it to schools automatically, or would you have to submit it to the school individually?

What happens if you submit a LOR through AACOMAS after your application has been verified? Do they still send it to schools automatically, or would you have to submit it to the school individually?
It should go automatically, but keep an eye out for it on individual schools’ secondary portals to make sure it was received.

Hello, I have enrolled for a class at a completely new college, so I have no real class transcript yet - can I just order the transcript now and then send an update with the added grade? Or do I add the college after submitting the primary application? Thanks!

Hi everyone,
I am applying to DO schools rn, but I have a second MCAT coming July 25. Should I wait to submit til then? It seems to be different than AMCAS, I can't find a place to tell them there's another MCAT score coming. Does anyone know if I can do this?

Hello! I have a letter writer who said they’ll have the letter submitted to interfolio in the next 2 weeks, is there any way I can submit my primary before the letter is in?

Hello! I have a letter writer who said they’ll have the letter submitted to interfolio in the next 2 weeks, is there any way I can submit my primary before the letter is in?
Yes! As long as you have entered your writer's name & email address in your AACOMAS application, the letters can come in little by little.

Yes! As long as you have entered your writer's name & email address in your AACOMAS application, the letters can come in little by little.
Thanks you! So do I go ahead and ‘upload’ it from interfolio now or will AACOMAS let me upload it after when the letter has been submitted to interfolio?

Thanks you! So do I go ahead and ‘upload’ it from interfolio now or will AACOMAS let me upload it after when the letter has been submitted to interfolio?
Ah, I forgot about the extra step of Interfolio.
Here is the instruction page from AACOMAS Evaluations

They will begin working on verifying your app without the letters, but they do need your fee, transcript, and completed application.

When listing shadowing experience, I have it under "Healthcare Experience" (per their guidelines) but then I am asked to choose whether I was compensated, received academic credit or was volunteer? Do I select volunteer for shadowing since I did not get compensation or academic credit?

When listing shadowing experience, I have it under "Healthcare Experience" (per their guidelines) but then I am asked to choose whether I was compensated, received academic credit or was volunteer? Do I select volunteer for shadowing since I did not get compensation or academic credit?
yes it would be volunteer. Try to give it the title of shadowing too so it's easy to find

Do osteopathic schools accept AMCAS FAP to waive secondary fees? Or does it only apply to the AACOMAS fee waiver?

Do osteopathic schools accept AMCAS FAP to waive secondary fees? Or does it only apply to the AACOMAS fee waiver?
They are completely separate processes. You would need to apply to the AACOMAS fee waiver program, which provides less benefits and is first-come first-serve from what I last recall.

hey is it too late to apply for TCOM through tmdsas? I applied DO and MD and submitted most of my secondaries so far. I am a NY resident but have very high ties to Texas (I have a total of like 8 aunts and uncles each with their own families living all across houston and dallas).

hey is it too late to apply for TCOM through tmdsas? I applied DO and MD and submitted most of my secondaries so far. I am a NY resident but have very high ties to Texas (I have a total of like 8 aunts and uncles each with their own families living all across houston and dallas).
Not too late, but realize you have to fill out a different application platform to do this.
Successful OOS applicants to Texas usually have GPAs and MCATs at or above the median.
TMDSAS schools take at most 10% OOS

You can apply to TCU, which is in Fort Worth, uses the AMCAS app, and does not have a limit on OOS matriculants.

When do AACOMAS schools give out II's if the secondaries were sent mid-july/late july?

How long does it take AMCAS to send your MCAT scores to AACOMAS?

Because of financial reasons, I wasn't able to submit my application to all the schools I wanted to apply. Is it too late in the cycle to send my secondary apps for AACOMAS schools?

I have a couple of interviews, and I attended one 3 weeks ago and was met with a rejection letter.
Although it wasn't the best interview performance, I was able to get most of my points and have a comfortable conversation with my interviewers. I called their admissions office regarding feedback, and my rejection was due to a downward mcat trend, lack of a DO letter, lower science GPA, and lack of mission fit. However, I thought those were things that were looked at before an interview was given. So do schools look at stats before or after the interview? Did I get a rejection based on my interview performance in tandem with my stats?

I have a couple of interviews, and I attended one 3 weeks ago and was met with a rejection letter.
Although it wasn't the best interview performance, I was able to get most of my points and have a comfortable conversation with my interviewers. I called their admissions office regarding feedback, and my rejection was due to a downward mcat trend, lack of a DO letter, lower science GPA, and lack of mission fit. However, I thought those were things that were looked at before an interview was given. So do schools look at stats before or after the interview? Did I get a rejection based on my interview performance in tandem with my stats?
Sometimes they see if your interview is strong enough to "make up" for that or may ask you directly about grades, MCAT, why osteopathic medicine or things related to their mission to see if you can provide a good answer that addresses some of the reservations they may have. See LizzyM's staircase analogy.

Prepare well for the interviews that you still have. Those are more important than dwelling on what happened with one school at this point in the cycle. If you haven't shadowed a DO (which it seems you were recommended to do before submitting your app), then try to do that so you can incorporate that into your answer for why DO at the other interviews.

I called their admissions office regarding feedback, and my rejection was due to a downward mcat trend, lack of a DO letter, lower science GPA, and lack of mission fit. However, I thought those were things that were looked at before an interview was given. So do schools look at stats before or after the interview?
Looking at your history, this interview came from a new DO schools? Did they require a DO letter?

To your question, everything in your file is fair game in final deliberations. Because this is a new school, they may not have everything worked out on mission fit. But you must have been a bad fit if you got rejected after interview.