THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m planning on taking biochemistry here this summer. Has anyone been told the class wouldn’t be accepted at a med school they applied to? I’m anxious about that. But have pretty much no other options.

Members don't see this ad.

I have read the last 6-7 pages of this thread and have found some info useful, but still looking for some. Basically, I am doing post bacc science prereq's in order to improve GPA and I have not been in a formal classroom for 6+ years. I am looking to go to medical school and want to show I can do well (+better than my grades reflect from 6-10 years ago). I have taken Anatomy, Medical physiolgy, and genetics through UNE and earned A-, A-, and A respectively. I am looking to take a few more classes and would like advice from anyone who has taken the following classes: Organic II, Biochem, Micro, pathophys, and medical biology classes. I would like to complete all of these courses within one year from now. I currently work full time as a paramedic but could take ~5-6 months off to take 3 or 4 of these at once. Any advice on which order, which professor, or general advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm with ya busymedic as I'm in the same boat. I'm also a full time medic/supervisor. Of the courses you asked about, I can only comment on Organic II. I would take it immediately after or as close to Organic I as you can as it assumes that you remember the fundamentals of Organic I and doesn't spend much time at all in review. The course however is not nearly as hard as Organic I in my opinion. The first 6 modules are all learning how to read different grafts; which I kind of related to interpreting 12 leads. After module 6 the course ambles into the biochemistry realm as you study carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, enzymes and DNA, which is all a very nice deviation from the grind of Organic I stuff, and actually feels as if it might be useful down the road.

As far as choosing a professor, I don't think you can. It appears that UNE is using mostly adjunct instructors for the science prereq program now so you don't know who you're going to end up with until after you register. I ended up with Dr. Maksimov and he is pretty responsive and fair which is about all you can ask for with an online instructor. I would also say Organic II is a course you could double up with and take something else simultaneously. I didn't assuming it would be as hard as Organic I was but it isn't. The course is technically in week 9 right now but I just finished week 14 so I have one module left and then the final.

I registered for this class and got christian cooley. It says no open book or notes allowed. Im screwed!! what should I do considering I took this class relying on the open book

Members don't see this ad :)
So I registered for Ochem II but it said instructor TBA. I was placed in Dr. Rowe's class. Looked at the syllabus but it doesn't say anything about books being allowed on any proctored exams. Only the "useful information" pdf and a scientific calculator is allowed on the midterm lecture exam, none on the final lecture exam, and the "useful information" pdf on the final lab exam.

I thought it was open notes/open books for all of the proctored exams.

I have the same issue. But you're lucky you got Rowe, heard she was super easy

Got Rowe for O chem 2. Anyone know how the tests go? Could you just study the review and do well or is the review a waste of time?

Organic Chemistry lab course - how difficult is it? I took one semester of O-chem and then switched to quarters, and somehow am 1 semester credit short. SO. I just need 1 credit to complete prereqs for organic chemistry per my university academic counselor, and don't want to take the entire darn thing if the lab can be done as a stand-alone. thoughts? I got a B+ in Organic Chemistry 1, in a 4 week accelerated lecture/lab course, while also working 60 hour weeks, if that helps with any thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
As of 2018/2019, what is the current state of using online courses such as those at UNE for a prerequisite, is it generally accepted at most DO schools, or do I have to go out of my way to call them?

I registered for this class and got christian cooley. It says no open book or notes allowed. Im screwed!! what should I do considering I took this class relying on the open book
I took the class when it was open book and notes, but you didn’t really need them. Just study the material and ask your professor for study tips. Stay confident and you will be fine. Think about it like this. You wouldn’t be able to look up all the answers on the test and you would just waste time if you tried.

I'm about to start the UNE organic chemistry 1 course that begins May 1st. I was wondering if there's anyone in this thread who is also about to take this course as I would love to have someone to work through this course with whether it be in person (highly unlikely as it's an online course) or via video calls such as facetime or skype. If there's anyone who's already taken the course can you offer any tips as the course looks very challenging based on the responses I've seen?

I have read the last 6-7 pages of this thread and have found some info useful, but still looking for some. Basically, I am doing post bacc science prereq's in order to improve GPA and I have not been in a formal classroom for 6+ years. I am looking to go to medical school and want to show I can do well (+better than my grades reflect from 6-10 years ago). I have taken Anatomy, Medical physiolgy, and genetics through UNE and earned A-, A-, and A respectively. I am looking to take a few more classes and would like advice from anyone who has taken the following classes: Organic II, Biochem, Micro, pathophys, and medical biology classes. I would like to complete all of these courses within one year from now. I currently work full time as a paramedic but could take ~5-6 months off to take 3 or 4 of these at once. Any advice on which order, which professor, or general advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
How was the genetics course? I'm also looking to retake anatomy? Any pointers? Obviously the classes are not "easy" but I would like to know what to anticipate-- like layout, difficulty of lab, etc.

I'm working on completing this course and have found it very challenging, so I'm glad I'm not the only one. Definitely ran out of time on the midterm, so I'm pretty nervous about the final. Let me know if you have any advice. I've been methodically working on problems and trying to go over concepts.
I am in physics I right now. How was the midterm/final?

Ugh, I was hoping it would be easier or at least on par with homework. I'm little surprised that no one has had issue with Physics here. Biochem was a nightmare, but at least people gave a solid warning. Thank you for the advice, I 'll keep practicing for sure.
Any pointers? I will be taking the midterm soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any pointers? I will be taking the midterm soon.

Honestly, the exams are WAY easier than the university where I retook it - there's multiple choice for the most part (the exams I had to take with my online at missouri are 7 questions for the whole exam, you have to show all work, no multiple choice, and they all build on the previous answers - so you get one wrong in the beginning and you flunk the entire exam). This one is not like that. It is long - make sure you really know how your equations work and can pick out the various integers you need to plug into the equation. After mastering the style of exams in my current class I could probably take Physics at UNE and get an easy A. The labs are what killed me, but the midterm and final can seem overwhelming because they're just so long. You have an entire sheet, use it to your advantage. you can get a ton of useful info on there. Pee beforehand, and get a good night's sleep - don't cram. you won't remember it by the time you need it anyway.

I'm about to take the UNE organic chem 1 course. Does anyone have any recommendations for how I should study and prepare for the quizzes and exams?

Can anyone give some advice/tips on genetics and medical phys? What are the courses like/time commitment/tests? Thinking about taking them both at the same time

Hi everyone! I just started Biochemistry through UNE online and wanted to know if anyone has any advice or materials they can share that have taken the class recently? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I am intimidated by this course.

Hello!

I recently completed Orgo II with a lab with Rebecca Rowe. Overall i would definitely recommend taking this course to anyone who just needs to finish the class. I got an A- in the class and B+ in the lab with VERY MINIMAL effort. Some things I wish I knew going in:

1.) Don't buy the books through the UNE library. You absolutely do not need the online access card at all. No homework or reading assignments use this feature. Total waste of money. I don't think the chapter from Campbell is necessary either, but I didn't buy it so I don't know what I was missing.

2.) If you do nothing else but print out every lecture and lab quiz (after you submitted so it shows the correct answers) I think everyone should be able to get at least a B. Questions that don't correlate with those quizzes are often word for word in the textbook. You have way more time than needed to take these tests so you can look up every question. The first midterm is harder than the final exam. The lab exam was the most difficult for me of all 3.

3.) The discussion posts were actually the hardest/most tedious. Just put as much info as you can for each question but the prompts are not clear and you don't know for sure what she's looking for

Theres a lot of hate for Prof. Rowe on this thread. I found her to be super nice and totally reasonable. Yes her lectures are boring, but so is Orgo. If you're the type that wants the professor to personally explain every concept for you, then you won't like her. But everything you need to know is in her lecture slides, so I didn't reach out to her much at all. Basically, I would totally recommend taking her class.

If you are disciplined, you could finish this entire course within a couple weeks.

I am about to take the lab final and need to get a good grade because I got into PA school. Can you tell me what the questions were like? Was the final like the lab quizzes?

I’m planning on taking biochemistry here this summer. Has anyone been told the class wouldn’t be accepted at a med school they applied to? I’m anxious about that. But have pretty much no other options.
UNE has a list online of the schools that accept it. While it might not be all inclusive, the schools that are on there are definitely accepting as it looked like they update it.

Hi people! I just enrolled in the online UNE Biochem course to boost up my science GPA a tad bit before applying to PA school. Does anyone have any pointers or study guides they are willing to share with me? Anything will help since my time is limited by working two jobs. Thanks!

Hi people! I just enrolled in the online UNE Biochem course to boost up my science GPA a tad bit before applying to PA school. Does anyone have any pointers or study guides they are willing to share with me? Anything will help since my time is limited by working two jobs. Thanks!

The test besides the midterm and the final you are able to google the questions. However the midterm and final are proctored. Most of the weekly quizzes will reappear on the test so make sure you know them. I found that if you make sure you know the objectives you will do well on the exams.

Hi I’m looking for more info on the Anatomy course. I see a few people started it in Feb, can you update with please? Also is lab really as difficult as they say as far visibility of pictures and structures? Also are the exams cumulative? (Found a syllabus online and it seems like they are not). Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Does anyone have any experience with the new OChem II course? I'm getting close to taking the midterm and I'm having a hard time figuring out what to study now that it's closed book/notes.

I’m in the medical biochemistry class. Does anyone have access to the midterm/ final proctored questions (spring 19 version)
Everything Prior to this semester has changed completely

Just curious if you’ve found anything?

For UNE Chem II, I am relying on clutchprep. This site saved my butt because I couldn't stand to listen to the lectures anymore and it wasn't teaching me anything. They have video lectures with worksheets for each chapter so it has been extremely helpful to attain a proper understanding of the info, since they actually TEACH it to you with worksheets, examples, videos like in a real class if that make sense.

Hello I am considering taking Chem II online through UNE do you have any advice? I got a D in chem II 4 years ago so I am having to retake it.

Has anyone been successful in getting letters of rec from UNE science course professors?
Thanks you

Just signed up to take Gen Chem II starting June 5th. Kinda nervous. I am not sure what to expect. I am trying to finish this course in 6 weeks since I'm not taking any other courses in conjunction and am only working part-time. I am hoping to get an A since this is a repeat course for me...how difficult did u guys find it and how much time did you spend on it? Any advice would be much appreciated!

I just started biochem... the weekly quizzes are super super straightforward and I don't feel like I need to actually read the text for them. Are the actual exams similar in depth/difficulty?

Taking it w Thompson

I also am about to finish micro (taking the final tomorrow) if anyone needs any pointers or info about that course

Way too much effort than its worth, I studied for physiology endlessly for months using whatever I could possibly memorize from both the lectures and mostly the textbook and still couldnt pull a B. The grade is based on 4 unit exams including a nonculmulative final and the online lab software. Specific course benchmarks are given for each module and are essentially study guides, although I personally felt like I needed to put in much more effort than using just the benchmarks to conceptually grasp the material comfortably (probably in vain). The positives include its convenience, no deadlines, that you have plenty of time to complete the course, and the labs as well as every other aspect of the class ran smoothly. Still, I'd avoid and take it somewhere else it if at all possible.

Do you know if the anatomy class is curved?

I found the anatomy course to be somewhat difficult. It was medical school level gross anatomy, I don't know if people realize this, so yeah, it's going to be hard. I thought the practical exams were pretty easy though, it depends on if you have good photographic memory. Don't purchase the lab software they tell you to, all of the pics that they use for practicals are available for free on here Human Anatomy :) I thought the hardest exams were 2 & 3, with head & neck being the most difficult. I think Gray's Anatomy is the best med school anatomy textbook, but I didn't really read it, it's A LOT! I just memorized all of his notes and slides and I got an A. I definitely recommend this course if you're thinking about going to med school!
Was this course curved at all?

Has anyone tried sending their official transcript from UNE to another university? How long does it take? I sent it at the end of May and it still hasn't arrived.

Hi everyone. I'm currently taking Organic Chem 1 (CHEM 1020) through UNE and am struggling. The exams are closed book and proctored, which I also can't even do well with the quizzes being open notes. Any tips for studying for the exams? I really don't know what to do at all!

I'm thinking of taking genetics online at UNE since it's my only option, how difficult is the course? Any tips would be great!

Hello everyone. I need to take Anatomy, Physiology, Genetics, Microbiology and Organic Chemistry all online. I wanted to sign up for them all at the same time. I am not working and will be able to dedicate time. I also am not taking any other courses at this time. Does anyone have any thoughts about this. I already have a Masters degree (in Education) but God is pushing me in a new direction. I have to complete these pre-reqs and take my GRE to apply for the PA program. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
Hello everyone. I need to take Anatomy, Physiology, Genetics, Microbiology and Organic Chemistry all online. I wanted to sign up for them all at the same time. I am not working and will be able to dedicate time. I also am not taking any other courses at this time. Does anyone have any thoughts about this. I already have a Masters degree (in Education) but God is pushing me in a new direction. I have to complete these pre-reqs and take my GRE to apply for the PA program. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Did you take the genetics course? If so, how was it?

Has anyone tried sending their official transcript from UNE to another university? How long does it take? I sent it at the end of May and it still hasn't arrived.

I've been sending mine back to WCU after each UNE course I finish, it usually takes about a week to get there and about another week for my university to post it to my degree audit.

Hi everyone. I'm currently taking Organic Chem 1 (CHEM 1020) through UNE and am struggling. The exams are closed book and proctored, which I also can't even do well with the quizzes being open notes. Any tips for studying for the exams? I really don't know what to do at all!

You poor soul, I feel for you! That course is a complete nightmare and I was in the exact same boat as you; struggling to do well on even the open book quizzes and fighting like heck through the closed note chapter tests. My advice to you is to get help. Leah4Sci has some great videos explaining a lot of the complex mechanims. The only problem is the UNE cirriculum is it's own animal, so it's hard to find outside help that explains things the way UNE wants you to know it. If you're like me and you just simply can't grasp what you're studying, learn the very basics of each functional group or reaction. Don't waste time staring at your notes trying to memorize every little detail because you will get overwhelmed. I feel like I almost knew nothing by the end of the course but somehow came out with a B- in lecture and an A- in lab. Keep fighting. Orgo 1 is about survival.

Just sending out another plea for anyone who has VERY recently taken biochem/is currently in biochem but further ahead in it (it has apparently changed since last semester)

I also just finished micro with an A so happy to pass stuff along for that class.

Hello everyone,

Little backstory: I took combined Organic I&II Lecture and lab in undergrad (2 years ago). I’ve been accepted to medical school, but they are not accepting my lab for the required 2 credits - just 1. Leaving me with needing 1 last credit to complete.

The admissions director said I could do the online UNE ORGANIC II LAB to suffice the requirement.

I’m already enrolled and the class just started. There’s apparently no text for the lab portion; I emailed the professor, and he said that I am supposed to know the information from the organic lecture. This was new information to me (such as my undergrad labs, there was a lab manual with the information I needed to know for that lab in it).

Now I feel a little over my head, and was wondering if anyone else has taken this lab and has any advice for me moving forward?

Has anyone taken the Pathophysiology final exam with Roberto Raez Rodriguez? Any advice or helpful ways to pass the final?

Has anyone taken the Pathophysiology final exam with Roberto Raez Rodriguez? Any advice or helpful ways to pass the final?
I'm thinking about taking the class this fall! Any advise on how it's laid out? I'm a nurse.... so I took patho years ago when I got my bachelor's in nursing..... but I was curious as to how this course is laid out? What do the labs consist of?

I'm thinking about taking the class this fall! Any advise on how it's laid out? I'm a nurse.... so I took patho years ago when I got my bachelor's in nursing..... but I was curious as to how this course is laid out? What do the labs consist of?
The class is pretty straightforward. I learned a lot. There are only four labs I think and they send you the actual animal part for you to dissect. You have discussion posts, quizzes, and video presentations. Overall the class is easy and understandable, but the midterm is random diseases that you're expected to know answers about and it's hard and that how the final is so I am worried.