The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agree or disagree?

IMG_1722.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still holding NIO? It's down 18% from the 2022 low, while competitors LI and XPEV are nearly up 300%.

Anyone still holding NIO? It's down 18% from the 2022 low, while competitors LI and XPEV are nearly up 300%.
I remember you and BMB used to post about NIO a lot… What did you end up doing with yours? Made a profit I hope?

I remember you and BMB used to post about NIO a lot… What did you end up doing with yours? Made a profit I hope?

Yes I had an average of $21 or so and sold around $43. It was my first exposure to individual stocks and my first five figure win. People laughed at me cause it pumped to almost $60 a couple months later. Then I put all my money into crypto at the top, so joke's on me 🤡

Probably the worst thing that ever happened to me. Before, I just bought index funds and didn't care about stocks. Now I spend too much time watching the markets everyday.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I had an average of $21 or so and sold around $43. It was my first exposure to individual stocks and my first five figure win. People laughed at me cause it pumped to almost $60 a couple months later. Then I put all my money into crypto at the top, so joke's on me 🤡

Probably the worst thing that ever happened to me. Before, I just bought index funds and didn't care about stocks. Now I spend too much time watching the markets everyday.
Good job on that NIO trade…

You’re still holding the crypto, right? You didn’t sell at a loss?

Good job on that NIO trade…

You’re still holding the crypto, right? You didn’t sell at a loss?

Yes still holding mostly ETH. I took a 3k loss last Dec on CRO coin for tax loss. Hopefully there's another bull run in 2025 🤞

This could move up the escalation ladder fast. If a US base is strike with ballistic missiles that result in a dozen deaths then that would open the gate to an all out war

IMG_1723.jpg

A was very, very barely a millionaire a few months ago, then the market contracted and I was out of the two comma club. I think the 3% over the last few days may have put me back over.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A was very, very barely a millionaire a few months ago, then the market contracted and I was out of the two comma club. I think the 3% over the last few days may have put me back over.

Nice. It's mostly locked up in retirement accounts and your house right?

Being a millionaire isn't all it's cracked up to be. The money is mostly locked up until you're 65+.
65? 59.5 for most retirement savings vehicles, with some exceptions for 55 year olds. There are also workarounds for getting money earlier than that. Maybe some pensions require waiting until you're 65, but I don't count those in my net worth anyway.

PS: Have I mentioned that when I'm bored at work I sometimes print out a million dollars in different denominations to see what it looks like? OK, I've exaggerated. I've only done $100 bills because anything else is a huge waste of paper.

PPS: Having a million dollars isn't what it once was...not even worth bragging about anymore, but it's still glorious.

Just curious: what’s your liquid vehicle of choice (HYSA, money market, etc.)?
I got $10,000 in a checking account for my day to day. $40,000 in a savings account at Citizens Access producing 4.5% APR at the moment. And about $45-50k in a taxable investment account at Vanguard that's in ETFs I can liquidate whenever I want.

Reactions: 1 users
I got $10,000 in a checking account for my day to day. $40,000 in a savings account at Citizens Access producing 4.5% APR at the moment. And about $45-50k in a taxable investment account at Vanguard that's in ETFs I can liquidate whenever I want.
Nice… that’s similar to my set-up, with the exception of the taxable account - that’s a goal, but not quite there yet.

65? 59.5 for most retirement savings vehicles, with some exceptions for 55 year olds. There are also workarounds for getting money earlier than that. Maybe some pensions require waiting until you're 65, but I don't count those in my net worth anyway.

PS: Have I mentioned that when I'm bored at work I sometimes print out a million dollars in different denominations to see what it looks like? OK, I've exaggerated. I've only done $100 bills because anything else is a huge waste of paper.

PPS: Having a million dollars isn't what it once was...not even worth bragging about anymore, but it's still glorious.

Yeah 55, 65 whatever. I'd rather enjoy that money in my 20s-30s.

Most posters in this thread reach 1mil net worth by their 30s though.
This is not a representative sample. People here make 150k+/year, top 9% individual income. In addition, posters here are more financially savvy than the average Joe.

Most posters in this thread reach 1mil net worth by their 30s though.
*Most*? This is a pharmacy sub-thread, right? Besides a few real estate investors, how does someone on a pharmacist salary NET 1M in ~6 years?!? And that’s even assuming zero student loan debt!!

*Most*? This is a pharmacy sub-thread, right? Besides a few real estate investors, how does someone on a pharmacist salary NET 1M in ~6 years?!? And that’s even assuming zero student loan debt!!

30s includes up to age 39. I'm talking about this thread specifically. Most people here max out retirement accounts, own a house and invest in taxable accounts and/or real estate.

In all fairness, he said in their 30s...meaning they can be 39 y/o. Most people who chose the traditional route to become pharmacists should be able to be a millionaire in their 30s even if they have 200k student loan.

Maxing out only 401k/IRA/HSA (~30k/yr) for 15 year w/ 10% ROI should get you close to 1 million $

In all fairness, he said in their 30s...meaning they can be 39 y/o. Most people who chose the traditional route to become pharmacists should be able to be a millionaire in their 30s even if they have 200k student loan.

Maxing out only 401k/IRA/HSA (~30k/yr) for 15 year w/ 10% ROI should get you close to 1 million $
Fair enough. I think the “… by their 30s” wording is what threw me off.

I doubt it's going to be that easy for most. It took me until I was 40. And I maxed out everything for about 13 years. And I bought my house at the bottom of the market in 2012. And I was in the most rapidly expanding market we'll likely see in our lifetimes after the Great Recession thanks to the near-0 interest rates the Fed offered. I'm pretty frugal, too.

Most of you won't get to 7-figures until your 40s. And that's fine. You'll still retire with like $4 million or so if you retire at the normal age.

Fair enough. I think the “… by their 30s” wording is what threw me off.
I just looked at it again and you are correct. He should have said 'in their 30s.' The English language man.

• Haha
I doubt it's going to be that easy for most. It took me until I was 40. And I maxed out everything for about 13 years. And I bought my house at the bottom of the market in 2012. And I was in the most rapidly expanding market we'll likely see in our lifetimes after the Great Recession thanks to the near-0 interest rates the Fed offered. I'm pretty frugal, too.

Most of you won't get to 7-figures until your 40s. And that's fine. You'll still retire with like $4 million or so if you retire at the normal age.
I was using retirement accounts only without adding equity in one's home etc... You probably were a millionaire before the age of 40 especially since you bought during the economic downturn (2008-2013)

I bought in 2011 for 150k in south FL and that same house is 500k now according to Zillow/Redfin.

I am so mad at myself for not buying more. I was offered 3-4 condos for 12-15k per condo (I had the money), and these condos are 200k now.

• Wow
I hate to say it but for the last 15 years, the more risk you took, the more money you would have made

The big winners are crypto, real estate and tech stocks to name a few.

You didn’t need to be knowledgeable to make a lot of money….just an appetite for risk.

Asset prices have gone thru the roof as a result of easy access to credit and money.

You can barely buy a single family house for $1m in a neighborhood with good schools in California

This is why many of us don’t dream about what life would be like if I have $1m…honestly, it is not much anymore.

I hate to say it but for the last 15 years, the more risk you took, the more money you would have made

The big winners are crypto, real estate and tech stocks to name a few.

You didn’t need to be knowledgeable to make a lot of money….just an appetite for risk.

Asset prices have gone thru the roof as a result of easy access to credit and money.

You can barely buy a single family house for $1m in a neighborhood with good schools in California

This is why many of us don’t dream about what life would be like if I have $1m…honestly, it is not much anymore.
We are all hoping for the housing market to crash like it did 2008-2013

The housing market is unaffordable but you are going to need massive unemployment for it to crash.

I tell people it is not the home price but the monthly payment that matters. For every drop in 1% mortgage rate you can buy 10% more house and still have the same monthly mortgage payment.

Homeowners have record low mortgage rates so their monthly payment is still affordable

$700 k house with 5% mortgage rate vs $770 k with 4%

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

I doubt we see a crash like that again in our lifetimes, just like we won't see <3% interest rates again. You don't know what you have 'til it's gone.

You probably were a millionaire before the age of 40 especially since you bought during the economic downturn (2008-2013)
I will not be a millionaire by 40 (unless something drastic happens) but I will be pretty close.

When calculating net worth, do you include your spouse? I figure people do.

When calculating net worth, do you include your spouse? I figure people do.
That’s a really good point that a single guy like me wasn’t considering…

Having a similarly high income earning, frugal-ish spouse, will accelerate one’s path to wealth.

Home price @ record high…only if I went all in on real estate instead of stocks/real estate.

IMG_1738.jpg

Real estate still outperformed stocks because you get to leverage with bank’s money

Good to diversify. Some people leverage the bank's money with stocks too, though not recommended.

Good to diversify. Some people leverage the bank's money with stocks too, though not recommended.

Not with low interest rate like real estate and you are require to sell if price dropped to certain point