Texas 6 year OMS Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UNLV OMS GUNNABE

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Parkland is a no-brainer. Baylor, San Antonio and Houston. Which ones are worth interviewing at?

Members don't see this ad.

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
Parkland is a no-brainer. Baylor, San Antonio and Houston. Which ones are worth interviewing at?
I liked Houston when I interviewed there. I've only heard good things about Dr. Wong and the program itself.

UNLV OMS WANABE said:

I liked baylor a lot, but too bad I like my program more. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take a good look at San Antonio. I ranked it #2 after Parkland. If Jedi sees this thread he could give you the most accurate picture of San Antonio.

I can't tell you anything about Baylor or Houston because I didn't get an interview at Houston and didn't apply to Baylor. But I've rotated on anesthesia with some of the Baylor guys, and their program seems like it would really gear you up for private practice. Probably better than Parkland. But you have to go to Lubbock, TX for 3 years of med school, which is nowhere near dallas.

San Antonio and Baylor are both very good OMS programs. I would definitely interview at both. I didn't apply to Houston because I didn't want to do their stoopid extra form.

The faculty at San Antonio are excellent and very resident driven. San Antonio has a very broad scope, including cosmetics, implants, dentoalveolar, trauma, truama, trauma, and lots of orthognathics. I would say that you get a ton of that stuff and not much else. If you want a real private practice type program where all you do is thirds and implants, don't go to any Texas schools except maybe Galveston. Baylor is very similary to San Antonio. Dr. Triplett used to be down here and trained Dr. Milam, our chairman. Dr. Schow trained the program director here, Dr. Startzell. So you can see the resemblance. The only downer with Baylor is that you would have to do medical school in Lubbock and maybe Abilene.

UNLV OMS WANABE said:

All are good. I interviewed at parkland and baylor and declined houston due to date conflicts. San Antonio did not participate in the match my year.
Parkland is the best in my opinion. Requires 2nd year med, but only about half the course load and is not affiliated with a dental school (good and bad).
Baylor was good, but you have to go to Lubbock then move again for medical rotations as well as apply and interview for gen surg positions
Houston is good but supposedly very spread out There is mandatory Saturday conference, and they supposedly fire you if you moonlight.
San Antonio - it has a good rep but supposedly has taken a hit from faculty loss ie VanSickels