USMLE STEP 3 Trick Works!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chamorro12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The "trick" still works. Here's how it played out for me:

-NBME (apps.nbme.org) permit link disappeared early Sunday AM
-FSMB (usmle.fsmb.org) changed from "active" to "expired" early Monday AM with no link to reapply

Score report was available Wednesday 12:00 am Eastern Time on NBME (https://apps.nbme.org).

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Passed! Don't even know how either, I was certain I failed walking out of the exam lol, congrats everyone! No more USMLE forever!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are posts on SDN, Reddit of people who failed even though FSMB said expired, etc. Am I missing something here why people still think that this "trick" works?

I think it only works one way.. If you have the link to reapply, you did not pass. If you don't have the link, it means nothing. Most people pass this exam, so for the majority, this "trick" works

The score report should come back 3 or 4 weeks after the test, BUTTT when do you start counting? After the first day of testing or the second??

Both are unchanged. Permit link is still there but when I click it says, Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active.

On FSMB Website

You have an active registration:
    Approved
Permit usually dissapears on monday, so perhaps next week?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know. I don't know if I'll be able to sleep. Just over an hour to go, might as well stay up, right?

Wrote Part 1 (Oct 28) and Part 2 (Oct 29).

Will scores be released two Wednesdays from now (Nov 11), or the Wednesday after two weeks (Nov 18)?

TIA

So my scheduling permit link disappeared on NBME yesterday and this morning my Step 3 status changed to expired with no yellow box/link to re apply. Does this mean I passed? Thanks
Mine says the same! Took mine on Oct 20th and 21st!

Last edited:
To clarify. The “trick” only works if you wait until Wednesday morning after FSMB has time to update. I did not pass on my first attempt and was surprised because I didn’t see a yellow box on wed at 12.01am. That box appeared on Wednesday around 10am. Please don’t get your hopes up. It’s best to simply disregard the “trick” and solely look at your score report.

PS. I passed on my 2nd attempt!!!! So ecstatic.

Hi everyone, I believe the trick only works usually if you are still in eligibility and you get expired, and no link to reapply- after midnight- that's my experience.
But, I wanted to add- there is no real trick- the only trick is to do well on the exam! cheers

It did disappear for me (says permit not available if you try to click on it) ! Day 2 was 10/27
anyone else?

My Day 2 was on Oct 29. The Print Permit on the NBME is still blue and clickable, but when I click on it I receive the following error message:

"Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active."

Does this mean that the results of my exam will be released this Wednesday? Any indication whether or not I passed? Thanks.

Last edited:
My Day 2 was on Oct 29. The Print Permit on the NBME is still blue and clickable, but when I click on it I receive the following error message:

"Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active."

Does this mean that the results of my exam will be released this Wednesday? Any indication whether or not I passed? Thanks.

Same here. I think the link should fully disappear from what I am reading on other replies. Will recheck tomorrow.

Same here. I think the link should fully disappear from what I am reading on other replies. Will recheck tomorrow.

Has any of your permits disappeared? Mine is still clickable.

Omg mine too. I’m just hoping this trick works I’d throw a party if I pass this test. So much stress.

Mine just disappeared. This just means the results are being released this Wednesday right? It does not indicate whether or not we have passed this exam.

Mine just disappeared. This just means the results are being released this Wednesday right? It does not indicate whether or not we have passed this exam.

Yup. What’s been reported is that on the FSMB website, it changes from Approved to expired. And some have a link to open to start a new step 3 application, it meant that they didn’t pass. If there is no link at all to reapply, then you most likely passed.

Yup. What’s been reported is that on the FSMB website, it changes from Approved to expired. And some have a link to open to start a new step 3 application, it meant that they didn’t pass. If there is no link at all to reapply, then you most likely passed.

Thanks! My understanding is that the FSMB website updates on Tuesday morning, so it gives us around 12-16 hours heads up before on whether we pass or fail right?

Fsmb expired. Have a gray box saying expired and I can begin a new application at my convenience. No link to reapply. No yellow continue box.

Anyone in the same boat ?

Fsmb expired. Have a gray box saying expired and I can begin a new application at my convenience. No link to reapply. No yellow continue box.

Anyone in the same boat ?

Where do you see that you can begin a new application at your convenience?

In my grey box, I see "You have an Eligibility Extension request that has not been completed."
Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 11.56.01 AM.png

Mine says expired too. I guess we will just have to wait until tonight to see if it worked ‍♀️