States that consider veterans in-state for tuition purposes without gi bill (need post-bacc courses)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CGtoDentistry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow vets. As stated in the title, does anyone know states that will consider a veteran an in-state student for tuition purposes WITHOUT using the GI Bill? Like many of us here, I'm a career changer. I studied Electrical Engineering & Computer Science at the undergraduate level, and need a few health courses to be eligible for dental school. I'd prefer to save my GI Bill for dental school, as that is the better financial use of the entitlement.

Has anyone else gone this route from a post-bacc perspective and have any guidance or insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey fellow vets. As stated in the title, does anyone know states that will consider a veteran an in-state student for tuition purposes WITHOUT using the GI Bill? Like many of us here, I'm a career changer. I studied Electrical Engineering & Computer Science at the undergraduate level, and need a few health courses to be eligible for dental school. I'd prefer to save my GI Bill for dental school, as that is the better financial use of the entitlement.

Has anyone else gone this route from a post-bacc perspective and have any guidance or insight?

I was primarily only able to find info as it related to using the GI Bill and enrolling within 3 years of discharge.

I was able to find something about University of Mississippi though...

I also found this: refer to pages 3 and 4...

Hope these help or others chime in if they know of anything.

You can also consider Vocational Rehab and Employment (VRE), which is Chapter 31 if you qualify with a service connected VA rating.

If i'm not mistaken there is a federal law in effect that requires all public schools to provide instate tuition to veterans.

In regards to you not using the GI bill and still getting in-state tuition I'm not sure and you would have to contact the registrars office for each school to get a definitive answer. With that being said is your GI bill completely exhausted? Even if you only have 1 day left on it, you can still use it to get in-state status and in most cases they extend it till the end of the semester. Also if you just need to get some pre-requisites done, I would recommend community college as its often very inexpensive, veterans get priority registration most of the time, and you may qualify for state or federal aid that covers the entire cost of attendance. You could also look into using the GI bill for the first semester then not renewing it after you are classified as In-state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m going to Temple for their Post Bacc and they allow GI Bill eligible veterans to assume in-state tuition status.

This is obviously a pretty late reply to this but when you exit the military you have a certain time period (i believe 2 years) to establish a new state of legal residence. This then immediately qualifies you for in-state tuition without having to live there for a year or obtain some tax returns etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Already answered but yes as a veteran you go under in-state, which only only matters for private schools I guess otherwise its paid for either way. On top of that you can get your spouse to have the in-state tuition as well, not only when you're out but also while you're still in and need to use TA.

Thanks for the replies, guys! Now currently trying to find a way to relocate out of the major metro I'm in and enroll in a program...

I'm confused here. Just being a veteran makes me illegible for in-state tuition at any school in the country? For example, I'm a NY resident but am accepted to a school in CA so now that CA school has to charge me in-state tuition?

I'm confused here. Just being a veteran makes me illegible for in-state tuition at any school in the country? For example, I'm a NY resident but am accepted to a school in CA so now that CA school has to charge me in-state tuition?

Not necessarily. Individual schools make agreements. This would be applicable if you attend a school that has made such an agreement.

Also depends how long ago you got out. If it was in the last couple years, look up the new-ish law that gives you a period of time to change your state of residence after exiting the military.

If you are using the GI bill, then it’s even easier- you are in-state.

So there are several scenarios to consider as a veteran:

1) If you are within 3 years of separation AND are using the GI Bill, then you automatically qualify for in-state tuition rates at any school. As far as I can tell, if you want to save your GI Bill for med school and not use it for post-bacc, this will not apply to you.

2) You can establish residency in a new state for the purposes of getting to use in-state tuition rates, but this isn't really a shocker at all. What is perhaps more relevant for you, since it seems like you are seeking a post-bacc without using your GI Bill benefits, are the SEPARATE veteran tuition exemptions that some states offer. These exemptions are separate from the GI Bill and not necessarily tied to VA disability % (not VocRehab). They are entirely state-dependent with different requirements. The most famous example here is Texas with the Hazlewood Act (up to 150 credits free just for being a vet). This website is the best starting place to sift through them, but I also recommend doing a quick search of each state's Veterans Affairs site as well: States That Offer Free Tuition for Vets | Military Benefits

tldr: you should definitely be able to find a way to pay for post-bacc cheaply without using your GI Bill. Might have to move to Texas or Florida though :)

I realize states will consider GI bill recipients in-state for tuition purposes. But will that in-state categorization also be used for a schools IS vs OOS metrics? I know most state schools (e.g. Texas) are restricted by law to accepting only up to 10% OOS. Does this veteran "in-state" status get us around that?

Pretty late to this but I dealt with similar issues and am dealing with this question again now.

The federal law only applies to newly discharged veterans using the GI Bill, it won't protect you if have been separated for more than three years.

There are numerous states that give you added benefits as veteran. In VA, where I went to UG, there are two laws that help. One waives the domicile period for veterans and the other grants in-state tuition regardless of domicile.

I'm looking at going to med school in CO and they similarly waive the domicile period. So, speaking with some of their Veterans office folks, I was told I could move to CO and establish a state tie before the Monday preceeding the first day of classes and I would then be granted in state tuition.