Question about getting In-state tuition for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently finishing up a 4 year HPSP commitment in the Navy(will be done July 2022) and plan on doing a civilian specialty residency afterwards. My home of record is NJ but I will be applying to other state schools outside of NJ. My question is will I be able to receive in-state tuition if I attend a state school outside of NJ and have the GI bill cover 100% tuition?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes.

Section 3679(c) of title 38 of United States Code (USC) defines the requirements of how the VA can disapprove a program based on criteria not followed that otherwise would qualify a veteran (thus defining a program to not be veteran friendly which no school wants slapped to their name). One of the biggest qualifying factors is the time-frame between military service and attending an Institute of Higher Learning (IHL).

Since you'll be fulfilling your obligation in 2022, then the rule states that a veteran who will live in the state where the IHL is located and enrolls within three years of discharge (honorable discharge) then you automatically get the instate tuition rate regardless of the location of your hometown. This rule applies to all public-state institutes in the 50 states. You can always double check any IHL in where they stand by looking at the following:

Institution Search

On top of this, even some private IHLs will still give in-state rate as well as many others having Yellow Ribbon Program offers to make up the difference of costs beyond the in-state tuition fees (I'd look these up as some have a cap of applicants while others have no limit of qualifying veterans at private institutes).

Reactions: 1 user
Yes.

Section 3679(c) of title 38 of United States Code (USC) defines the requirements of how the VA can disapprove a program based on criteria not followed that otherwise would qualify a veteran (thus defining a program to not be veteran friendly which no school wants slapped to their name). One of the biggest qualifying factors is the time-frame between military service and attending an Institute of Higher Learning (IHL).

Since you'll be fulfilling your obligation in 2022, then the rule states that a veteran who will live in the state where the IHL is located and enrolls within three years of discharge (honorable discharge) then you automatically get the instate tuition rate regardless of the location of your hometown. This rule applies to all public-state institutes in the 50 states. You can always double check any IHL in where they stand by looking at the following:

Institution Search

On top of this, even some private IHLs will still give in-state rate as well as many others having Yellow Ribbon Program offers to make up the difference of costs beyond the in-state tuition fees (I'd look these up as some have a cap of applicants while others have no limit of qualifying veterans at private institutes).

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!